365 Challenge: Day 209 – Tidy

Tidy: arranged neatly and in order

tidy.png

Every once in a while, it’s good to cleanse your mind and body — to tidy up in a way that makes everything feel better. Nature feels the same way. Since this is the first weekend I’ve been home in nearly a month, it’s time to clean up the outdoor plants and trees, which have nearly all lost their summer flowers. But it also means I must take an inventory to know what spaces are available for a few fall colors to brighten the place up. Tidying up the outdoors in the natural world will give me a good break away from editing my books. My 365 Daily Challenge message is brief again today, as it takes a lot to recover from being out of a routine for so long.

Just like you need to tidy up the physical spaces you live in, you also need to tidy up your mind. As I clean up the terrace today, and prepare for its next season, I will also prepare myself for big changes in the next few months. While my days may not be very different, my novel will officially be out for public review. There will be some negative feedback along with the positive comments; such is life. Even with a thick skin, being judged, or being told something isn’t as good as you think it is, can hurt. But it’s a good hurt when you can turn it around to make improvements in your craft. The important lesson for me, and for everyone who shares part of himself or herself with the world, is to keep tidying your mind — so none of these thoughts sit for too long, nor overstay their welcome.

Negative feedback is often the impetus we all need for taking a giant leap in the right direction for change to occur. Learn to use it wisely and not let it get you down.

30 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 209 – Tidy

janieleeds said:
    October 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM

You are so right! Tidy your mind and let negativity push you out of your comfort zone in order to better you! Great post Jay! Welcome home. Hope Ryder’s doing well! 🙂

October 7, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Great way to look at negative feedback. Tidying your mind is a great exercise. Nice post, Jay. Have fun with your gardening.

October 7, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Looking forward to a Fall terrace post from you!! 😉🎃

aquibview said:
    October 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM

That’s a very good reminder.

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Good advice. I have thin skin, unfortunately. But being sensitive makes one a benefit to humanity, generally, so I’ll take the lumps with a smile (at least until I’m safely ensconced in a private cave, where I can weep and beat my breast with self-doubt and sadness.) Then, I try to rally and, if they were right, to make improvement.

roseelaineblog said:
    October 7, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Tidy home, tidy mind 😉

Manuela said:
    October 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM

So true about negative feedback. So many stories of people who succeeded after being given negative feedback.

Michelle Sanders said:
    October 7, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Sound advice for us all!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Great post and attitude! 😀

October 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM

You are going to be great because you are do strong and confident and amazing!!

mainepaperpusher said:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:43 AM

What is this “tidy” of which you speak?

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    October 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Good for you. Unfortunately, I’m all about untidiness and disorganization. My work desk is a reflection of my creativeness (what there is of it). 🙂 –Michael

October 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM

I understand. I know folks like that. There’s order in the disorder.

October 8, 2017 at 10:31 PM

I am constantly tidying up, de-cluttering–my drawers, cabinets, and closets; my yard; my writing, constantly rewriting and hopefully improving; my mind; my life. It helps me sort and evaluate and sift my things and my thoughts. It allows me to take mental inventory as to where I am now and what surrounds me. Tidying up may be old fashioned, but it is a necessity in my life.

October 8, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Everything you’ve shared makes me think of you as such a remarkable person. It seems you’ve mastered the art of great order in life. 🙂

tylerus said:
    October 9, 2017 at 2:24 PM

I concur – a mind cleanse is as necessary as a physical one. I know (!) I am in desperate need of one myself. Thank you for the [much-needed] reminder!