365 Challenge: Day 210 – Pastimes (Top 10)

Pastimes: top 10 hobbies that keep Jay busy, and that he loves doing

dddd

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me.

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held

The next set of 5 Sundays covers the ‘Top 10’ of entertainment options that I spend my time thinking about or doing and this week is the “pastimes that keep me busy or that I absolutely love.” They are in no particular order, simply as I thought of them when typing. For anyone who’s read my blog before, these should be pretty obvious, but for someone new, this list will give you a sense of who I am! Then you can run the other direction if it’s not what you want to read about. Note: Writing is now a job, so I don’t consider it my pastime anymore!!!

• Reading
    • Give me a mystery, thriller, suspense or historical book and I’m set for hours. If there’s a biography on someone I enjoy, or a non-fiction history about something, it will keep me happy all day long!
  • Genealogy
    • I’ve traced about 2000 relatives to date from all over North America and Europe. My early posts covered all my ethnicity groups and some interesting stories about my relatives. You can see one here.
  • Gardening
    • When I owned houses in the past, I spent many hours planting and weeding. It’s been hard in NYC, but with a 700 square foot terrace garden that includes 10′ trees, we’ve made it work!
  • Traveling
    • I have been all over the world, from Cambodia to Argentina, Canada to Spain. I have probably visited 35 of 50 states in America. I love exploring cultures.
  • Cooking
    • If you read last week’s post, enough said. If not, I listed the top 10 dishes which you can read here. I have less time to cook these days with my writing schedule, but weekends are usually more free.
  • TV Viewing
    • If you read the post from a few weeks ago, enough said. If not, I listed my top 10 TV shows which you can read here. I am slowing my TV viewing to only shows I really love, as my creative time needs to be focused on reading and writing, particularly when it comes to fiction.
  • Wine Tasting
    • When I lived in San Francisco, there was a monthly trip to Napa and Sonoma. I could spend all day at a few wineries. Too bad I need a designated driver to truly sample each one and enjoy myself! Champagne anyone? And while I hate to admit this aloud, my favorites were in Mendoza. The stunning architecture while drinking in a stone estate on cliffs overlooking the water…
  • Research
    • I’m an academic. I wish I could attend colleges and universities every year. I love to teach, mentor and learn. Give me a thrilling topic and I can spend an entire night researching it on the computer, never interested in going to sleep. I thrive on the challenge of learning as much as I can in as little time as possible.
  • Playing with animals
    • I’ve had so many pets over the course of my life: hamsters, ferrets, cats, dogs, fish, squirrels… went horseback riding, to the zoo… looking in an innocent animal’s eyes, knowing they love you no matter what, is unparalleled.
  • Gym
    • The gym and I were never acquainted for most of my early life. I played soccer and baseball in middle school, and I took a few required courses in college however, I was not an athlete. Sometime after college, I started working out, even buying all the equipment to create a home gym in my basement. Now I have one in my apartment building. 5 times a week. Swap off cardio and weights. Not looking to be huge, just fit and energetic. If I want to live to 120, I gotta keep everything in line! And at 120, I’ll really be only 60 cause of all the work I’ve put in. Maybe “making up stories” should have been the last pastime…

Which ones do you agree with? What have I missed? Make it a fun response…

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks

38 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 210 – Pastimes (Top 10)

October 8, 2017 at 6:42 AM

You obviously skipped ‘social media’ hahahahaha!

October 8, 2017 at 8:24 AM

That’s true! Although… maybe it was a subconscious way of saying that should be less so I can do more physical things and stop eating and drinking so much! LOL

October 8, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Whattttt No, you are reading into my words too much lol

October 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Ok, you are right. I’ll turn off all social media today. Thanks! 🙂 j/k

October 8, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Aaaaaahhhhh lol

October 8, 2017 at 3:52 PM

I was thinking the same!!😂

October 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM

Am I on it too much?

October 8, 2017 at 4:04 PM

I don’t think so. It’s no different then our mothers and grandmothers sitting on the telephone, at the kitchen table, for two hours talking to one another. It’s just a different type of communication compared to the past

October 8, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Brilliant

AJ said:
    October 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Great list! I would have most on my own list, except I’ve never done any genealogy which is surprising since I was a history major and still read lots of it🤔

October 8, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Reading is the only thing from your list I have on mine. Traveling (if I had the money) and maybe research are things I could start. I’d add crafting except I am trying to make that a business, not just a pastime. Having had 3 children and a husband for most of my life, I am not interested in taking care of anything else (pets or gardening) and the only kind of wine I like is white zinfandel. You certainly put the most you can into every day and I think you might make it to 120!

October 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Yeah we are pretty lined up the only thing I haven’t done is Genealogy, my Mum’s half of the family has been completed already, I look just like my Great great Grandmother, it’s spooky, and I don’t really want to do the other half.

October 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM

I’m with you on everything but genealogy…..I’m afraid to uncover skeletons……but list is great!.,

[…] tag: Naty, James, Never Not Reading, Not So Modern Girl, Marianna Reads, Port Jericho and Rivermoose […]

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM

Wow you’re really well travelled!! That’s awesome!!

rugby843 said:
    October 8, 2017 at 6:30 PM

I agree with all your food choices, but I never wrapped a chicken in pastry, just a roast beef for beef Wellington.

October 8, 2017 at 10:34 PM

Interesting facts about you. I guess it’s just safe to say, you’re an interesting person.

Eileen Sim said:
    October 8, 2017 at 11:00 PM

You are very well travelled! I don’t know how long it will take me to go to every state in USA.

TUI said:
    October 9, 2017 at 12:20 AM

So Cool!

October 9, 2017 at 5:01 AM

that’s a great and very interesting read! i love the traveling part, because i am the same. i love traveling! 🙂
    what i am missing here is music! what about music? do you listen to music? are you going to concerts?

October 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Travel is great! Oh, good call on music. To be honest, I don’t go to concerts, buy albums or even download much. I use Spotify, but I’m a radio guy. I can find something I like flipping stations or creating playlists on Spotify. But in the gym, I don’t listen to music either. It’s weird. Love it, but for some reason, always background for me.

October 9, 2017 at 9:41 AM

well at least you’re listening to it. i don’t know how i would survive without music. i always have my headphones on, always listen to my playlists and even at home radio is playing. and i love concerts. ❤ for me music would need to be on that list 😀

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    October 10, 2017 at 5:54 AM

Hmm… some of my reading is ‘job’ now, too, as a professional reviewer. Anything you have a deadline for falls under job! Writing, too. Speaking of, I really need to get off my duff and finish Language of the Trees.

As for other past-times, I used to enjoy walking, before my body decided it was more fun to attack itself. Now walking lots causes a severe flare that could possibly n nput me to sleep most of a day. Other things I enjoy are more sedentary. I enjoy woodburning & painting. I haven’t been able to do that much lately either, because my stuff’s blocked off. I colour mandala to relax. Basically, I really like playing with colour!

Video games are fun, when I have the free time. Usually it’s tablet app games these days. The Skyrim Legends game is a great improvement from many other app games

I enjoy research, and playing with animals 🙂

(Sonoma and Napa are on 🔥. Literally)

October 10, 2017 at 7:55 AM

I know, poor Sonoma / Napa. It’s awful. Anywhere with the fires, but I just happened to read about those last night.

Walking is so good for us. All of our senses.

I’ve never gotten into video games. I played them as a kid until about 15 or 16, but then I seemed to grow away from them. I would like to try again, but now there’s so much to buy!