365 Challenge: Day 212 – Crick

Crick: painful stiff feeling in the neck or back

crick

I have been lucky for most of my life — without pain in my neck or back. I’ve previously had a few muscle spasms or slept in a way that caused pain, but nothing that didn’t go away after a few days. Ever since I began working from home last year, I’ve noticed a significant increase in what we commonly refer to as a ‘crick’ in my neck. I’ve narrowed it down to how I’m sitting, but it’s going to take a while to course-correct itself. And all I have to say about that, borrowed from the lovely Linda, is ‘Humph!’

I primarily sit in two places when I’m working: (1) couch or (2) dining room table. On the couch, the laptop is situated on a pillow on my lap, probably too low, resulting in me angling my neck too far down. At the table, the chairs are more meant for short periods of sitting, not hours while writing or editing. Something will probably need to change if I want to avoid these infamous little cricks.

At first, it manifested as a pain in my shoulder last year, which actually forced me to go to the doctor. I never go to the doctor unless I’m two days from potential death. They did an MRI and noted I had spurs on my shoulder blades that were rubbing against the nerves, sending me to physical therapy twice a week for two months. Ultimately, it went away. Then it was replaced by a tingling feeling in the same area, which I attributed to sitting in the same position for too long. Now it’s back, but in a different form, settling in my neck on the right side. BTW, guess where I’m sitting right now while writing this post — couch — and I feel it starting, but I’ve yet to move positions. Stubborn ass!

Ah, the point… where in the world did the word ‘crick’ come from? I need to look that up. I’m on a mission to find a new sitting position, or a way to remind myself to change positions every hour, in the hopes I can stave the inevitable. If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them… but I’d also like to extend a hearty amount of empathy to those who suffer from constant neck and back pain. My pain is very minimal, more annoying. To think someone lives with this, ten-times fold, wow… I’m so sorry! I am grateful and lucky to have just this tiny bit. But… as I do with everything, I will find a way to make it go away. Too much to do to devote time or energy to a crick. And that’s the only message I have today in this 365 Daily Challenge as it’s time to move to the dining room table.

37 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 212 – Crick

Mel Gutiér said:
    October 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Hugs! Sorry about the crick! Totally sucks!

You don’t have a proper desk/office area? I’m a little shocked given who you are.

I think you should totally set something cozy and ergonomically sound as your writer’s nook. Can’t afford not to love!

Thanks for stopping by fiction. I’ve spread myself so thin lately, I’ve not have time to visit your head more. But I’ll get there.

And… you can’t possibly like everything on there. 😶

You’re adorable and I sincerely hope you don’t suffer too much too long! 😘

October 10, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Hi. I do not… I need one. 🙂

You are welcome. I read thru everything in the morning on WP blogs, liking as I go. Then I try to come back again at night to re-read the ones that spoke to me the most and comment.

No worries on mine. We’re both busy!

October 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM

oh no, i am so sorry to hear that jay! i totally know what you mean. i have been fighting this in my neck area since months. going to physical therapy twice a week too. it’s such a pain, literally. i hate it. this technology is making us sick… 😦 i hope you find a position, that’s better for you and the pain goes away soon! 🙂

October 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Same to you! Do you know what’s causing yours?

October 10, 2017 at 9:42 AM

probably wrong sitting in the office for years. turned out my right shoulder is slightly shifted to the front, so my head has a wrong position, which makes my muscles in my neck work all the time. :/

October 10, 2017 at 9:43 AM

ah, ouch! that takes time to correct.

October 10, 2017 at 9:45 AM

i know. but it’s better than having something in my brain. i got these huge headaches, that lasted for 2 weeks and it was really bad. but MRI said it’s all good, it’s the muscles in the neck, shoulder area…

October 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM

at least it’s nothing serious, and hopefully those headaches never come back

October 10, 2017 at 9:59 AM

still there but definitely getting better! 🙂

Patty said:
    October 10, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I get those all the time and they suck!!! Some of them develop into migranes, which then really really sucks! They are caused when I sleep the wrong way of hold my head in a odd position for a long period of time and that sort of thing. Sometimes I get them from sitting and concentrating to hard at work. Hope your Crick goes away soon. I suggest a great massage. 🙂 preferably by a hot sexy someone. 😉

October 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM

I feel for you, James. About once or twice a year I have a serious problem with my neck that causes me to have to remain in bed for 24 hours or longer. It’s horrid and shoots right down into my shoulder blade. Like you, I try to avoid the doc and still don’t know what causes it. My husband always tells me that it’s sitting or sleeping wrong. I hope it simmers down for you! No fun! ❤

October 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Thanks. Sorry you go thru that, too. Ugh, not fun. Just read your post, too. Wow, rough week, I am so sorry.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    October 10, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Sorry to here that. Luckily it happened to me just once in neck and that because of bad head position while sleeping, but that one time was terrible. I hope you can find better comfortable place soon. 🙂

October 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM

I’m sorry to hear that Jay!! I know how it feels. I only remember having one when I was younger and I think I got it because I stayed in bed all day until like 4 pm and I was laying in a weird position or something. I remember waking up and not even being able to get up out of bed because any movement hurt. Mine ended up lasting a couple days. I switched between icing it and heating it and it seemed to help. I hope you get better soon and that you are able to work out a way to not irritate it.

Cozynookbks said:
    October 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM

I suffer with cricks too. I hate them. Sometimes they seem to last interminably. If you find a solution to them, please let me know.

October 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Ok, really? No office at home to work from? Please! You need to get yourself a comfortable chair at least to put by the kitchen table if you are not going to do a whole desk/office thing! Take it from someone who has been typing at home for the last 17 years, sometimes 8 hours a day. I don’t have cricks, although sometimes when it was very busy and I had a lot to type in a time deadline I would get a stiffness in my shoulders from keeping them in one position too long. I’d have to stand up and raise my arms above my head. You have to treat this thing like a job, not a hobby! Plus, you get tax breaks from working from home so you can claim all this stuff! Happy Tuesday Jay!

October 10, 2017 at 2:10 PM

I’m bad, I know. It’ll be a priority in the next week. I need to get this all organized. And you do a lot of physical work with your art, that’s a lot to handle!

October 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM

PS. Nature Creations makes great herbal wraps that you put in the microwave and warm up. They would be great for the crick and any other aches and pains. I also keep some small ones in the freezer for my migraines. They work wonders!

October 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM

I can’t help but think of Genie from Aladdin when I read the word crick. “Ten thousand yeeeeeeeeears! And you get such a crick in the neck!” 😉

Judy said:
    October 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Physical therapy helps my posture. Being uncomfortable in my chair reminds me to move around more, which helps my body overall.

October 10, 2017 at 4:03 PM

you need to get a good adjustable desk chair. Mind you, I don’t have one and I get headaches now from being in a crunchy bad position while I’m writing, but I’m going to tell you to get a good chair….

caterpillars2butterfliesblog said:
    October 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM

I used to honestly assume that term ‘crick in my neck’ was solely a southern slang thing. I certainly understand what that pain is like. ‘Knock on wood’ it has been quite a long time since the last one though. I hope that you are able to find the just right place to get your work done…might be worth a little jingle alarm on your phone as a reminder for now to move around regularly.

tylerus said:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:54 AM

I “feel” for you – been there. It’s no fun. Do get some “ergo” advice re proper sitting/posture for writing. It will help immensely.

October 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Ergo. Economic comes to mind when I hear that word. Haha. Very funny. Thanks.

janieleeds said:
    October 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM

I have neck pains and I go to the chiropractor which helps, but I don’t have bone spurs. Sounds terribly painful! I use a lap desk for the couch which seems to help. Just a thought.