365 Challenge: Day 213 – Nap

Nap: sleep lightly or briefly, especially during the day

nap

Today’s word is nap because I will be in desperate need of one by mid-morning. Before I left my last job, I rarely slept well. I either answered emails and phone calls all night long, or I obsessed and worried all through the night about everything I had to get done at work. After I left the role, I rarely had a time where I didn’t sleep through the whole night. Occasionally, if something was bothering me, I’d stir a few times but eventually fall back asleep. Luckily, it hasn’t happened in a long time. Unfortunately, it did last night. Or should I say ‘tonight,’ since I’m writing this post at 4am already having been up for 2+ hours.

After yesterday’s success with the book launch, W and I went out to a great dinner. He’s leaving for a few days for a work trip in LA, so I’ll be home the rest of the week on my own. After he packed, I went to sleep last night, turning on the AC as there’s a heat wave in NYC again. Don’t get me started about it! Anyways… I woke up around 1:15 to the sound of the AC dripping water on the floor. It did this the other night, but I turned it off and assumed it was just sweating. Now I think it’s broken, so I switched it to ‘fan’ mode as I need some background noise to keep the sounds of the city from waking me up. I’m difficult, eh?

I tried to fall asleep, ignoring the temperature getting a little too warm for my taste and not wanting to open windows or wake up Ryder. He’s unhappy when woken up in the middle of the night. I kept re-hashing an issue over and over in my head, confident that someone else had done something wrong. I expected something to be fixed, they didn’t fix it despite clearly causing the original issue. Without going into details, as I write this post, I got a response indicating it will take 2 to 4 weeks to correct. So I’m quite frustrated, but it will end up being fine, so let’s get back to the point. I’m working on 3 hours sleep and will desperately need a nap today.

But I am not able to nap. Something always wakes me up, whether it’s a phone call, Ryder, the door, a loud noise outside… Other people I know can nap anytime, anywhere. I’ve even seen a few fall asleep sitting up while talking. It’s amusing. I’ve heard a 30-minute nap every day is a great refresher. I would love to try it. I’ve just accepted I won’t ever get to nap. But I really need one today, so I’m hoping the gods and goddesses of naps will grant me this one. How about everyone else? Do you enjoy naps? Are you able to take them? Any secrets to share? Zzzzzz…..

62 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 213 – Nap

superwifeandmummy said:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:26 AM

J. …come on. …there’s no way you heard /listened to both the recordings I posted! Come on !
    Mate. …listen to them. Seriously. You’ll be inspired. Promise.
    I’m totally magical! !!!😂😂😂😂😂

October 11, 2017 at 6:29 AM

They are hyperlinked on my desktop. The rest of the house isn’t up yet, so I’m not turning anything on with noise for a bit longer! 🙂 But I will.

superwifeandmummy said:
        October 11, 2017 at 6:30 AM

Nice. ..
        You won’t be sorry
        😙

October 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM

I just listened to the first one… Love your speaking voice. And that was wonderful to share something with Roda… heading to listen to the song now.

superwifeandmummy said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Cool. You’re so sweet

October 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Me, pleeeeeasee… Beautiful recording, Maria. Roda must have been thrilled!!! Thank you for sharing it.

superwifeandmummy said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I loved it

October 11, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Congrats and Very Cool post.

superwifeandmummy said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM

roseelaineblog said:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:59 AM

I always remember my mother telling me when I protested about going to bed early because I wasn’t tired, she would say you don’t have to sleep to get rest. So don’t stress about not having sleep you will catch up 😘

roseelaineblog said:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:00 AM

P.s. I hope I didn’t wake you up from a nap then 😬

October 11, 2017 at 7:08 AM

naps are the best thing ever! i love taking naps! i do them every weekend. it helps me to relax. just shut off the phone and lie down! perfect!
    i hope you’re day is going well, even with less sleep!

October 11, 2017 at 7:40 AM

I’m not able to take naps during the day unless I am sick.

Patty said:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:40 AM

I am thinking I need a nap today as well. My husband did not get home from work till after midnight and we didn’t get to sleep till after one. uggghhhh then get up a 6 to go to work. I am too old for this. hahaha Think anyone will notice if my office cube is extra quiet today? 😉

tylerus said:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:56 AM

Ah, to be able to nap . . . sadly, I always seem to experience “anxiety attacks” when I do so. Maybe it’s a message: NO napping!

October 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM

You might need extensive sleep therapy to course correct it. 😂

cwhiteweb said:
    October 11, 2017 at 8:08 AM

I’m thinking home alone for the rest of the week is going to work favorably for you with the AC “broken” – an extra body in bed means more heat. So there you have it. The “gods of heat” have kinda saved you. Kinda haha
    And naps are the world’s best midday treat. I usually nap after classes, but not the 30 minutes you’re talking about. My power naps are an hour and a half. That’s how long my typical sleep phases are divided. Anything less isn’t as effective.
    Tips for naps: you can switch off your phone, and if someone knocks, pretend you’re not home. If it’s important, trust me, they’ll come back! See, 🌍 ✌🏾 right there! 😀😃

October 11, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Brilliant advice today. Thank you. Maybe I should have a guard stand by me to ensure no one wakes me!

cwhiteweb said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Hahahahaha sounds like a good idea! But you’re a stay at home dad now, you dont need the extra expense. I say use Ryder 😀

October 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Ugh, he is SO expensive lol

cwhiteweb said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM

😂 😂 😂 he doesn’t pay rent. His technically a free lodger, smooching Off You guys! Use that

October 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM

again, brilliant

cwhiteweb said:
        October 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Now, good luck threatening a dog successfully. I hope you speak Dog.

October 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM

we’ll meet in the middle and speak something else.

cwhiteweb said:
        October 11, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Isn’t that what binary code was supposed to be? And failed? 😂 😂

October 11, 2017 at 10:13 AM

those techies…. shameful bugs!

cwhiteweb said:
        October 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Hehehe I see you, ad mouthing your kind 😛

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    October 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM

I was surprised how you answered my comment at 10 ap CET but here is the answer. Last week i had a sleepless night for not getting hired by a company i would have wanted but fortunately i have moved on and gone on applying.

October 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM

That’s the best way to do it. Move on and let it go. Sorry that didn’t work out. Applying is the only way sometimes.

jhudginsartanddesign said:
    October 11, 2017 at 9:11 AM

I, for one, believe naps are wasted on the young. I love naps. And I can nap for 30 minutes of less. If I think I might ‘over-nap’, I set my alarm on my phone for 30 minutes and doze away. As far as distractions….are there any calls that important? And my dogs love to nap with me, so win-win there. Ear plugs are also a great thing. I can ignore most noises, but my daughters use them.

October 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM

It is probably an age thing… when you can or can’t nap. Love your philosophy tho! 🙂

Gayla Stevens said:
    October 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Sleep issues are are one of the worst things ever. I’ve really enjoyed ready your word of the day, and I’m so excited about your book? So happy for you!

October 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Thanks, Gayla! I hope you are doing well. Poor sleeping leads to others issues, I believe, so we need to fix it!

October 11, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Considering I have always had really bad insomnia I have never been able to nap, I always admire people who can. Sorry to hear that issue is going to take so long to sort out. That’s annoying!

October 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Thanks. I appreciate it. Life happens, huh… hope you are doing better today?

October 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM

I love naps when I can get them. My husband actually schedules naps in the weekends! Remember Seinfeld- george with the napping desk? The thing is, you can’t force a nap….you have to try to be super relaxed…..I know….I’m like you….relax? Ha. But you probably need to recharge the batteries!!

Mel Gutiér said:
    October 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I don’t even know what a nap is. Not even after your explanation. I’m thinking they’re a work of fiction in my reality. 😒

October 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM

I never have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep. Drives my husband nuts because he is a difficult sleeper. Naps…Occasionally if I feel a cold coming on I will go rest a bit or sometimes when I am in my office (the kitchen) typing and the sun is coming through the window into my eyes I will start to fall asleep at the computer. Then I may take a nap until the sun shifts a bit. Good luck with yours.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM

I wish I could nap too- but I just find it too difficult to sleep in the day, no matter how shattered I am!

AJ said:
    October 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM

I am definitely a napper! Grade ones are great at solving sleep issues – you’re exhausted every day!

moorezart said:
    October 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

October 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Ok, little Bro…You need sleep! With your pace right now, it is extra important! I will know! 😉

October 12, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Aww, so sorry you had a bad night for sleep, J. Nights like that take me days to get over. I hope you get some good sleep today. Sometimes a cat nap can do wonders. 🙂 Love the pic. ❤