365 Challenge: Day 214 – Alert (Are you an author?)

Alert: a message notification for people to pay attention if you are an author

alert

As many of you know from reading my blog, and hopefully not thinking I’m posting too much about it, I published my debut novel this week. It is called Watching Glass Shatter and you can read more about it or purchase it @ http://mybook.to/WGS; however, that’s not why today’s 365 Daily Challenge post is about the word ‘alert’ but instead because it is time for me to give back a little to a select group of my followers. Given how hard it is (I now know!) to publish and market a novel, I’d like to help out my fellow authors by building a new weekly segment on my blog called “Author Alert.” Let me explain…

It is extremely critical for both new and established authors to get as many book reviews on Amazon and Goodreads (and other sites) as often and as soon as possible after their books are released. It helps with marketing, ratings and sales, as I am learning. I’d like to establish a stronger team of authors on my blog who can support one another and share news and tips. On the flip side, I don’t want to be repetitive with my 365 Daily Challenge posts, so this gives me an opportunity to find a word that represents the author and blog about them, similar to my former “Ryder Recommends A Blogger” segment which finished up in August. I was running out of words and had to come up with a new idea!

In the future, I may start up the Recommended Blogger segment again, or run another segment for highlighting other bloggers trying to promote their products / services (e.g. artists, services, etc.), but I’m starting with authors since that’s familiar to me. Since I am at just about 3k followers right now, I hope I can provide opportunities for others as so many of you have given me in the last year. Beginning in a few weeks, the 365 Daily Challenge will host “Author Alert Friday” where I will blog about a published author who is following me on WordPress (and has been for a while). A few ground rules…

1. If you are not following me but read this and begin following me, I am happy to share more information about you on Author Alert Fridays after we’ve had enough time to get to know one another.
  2. If you are an unpublished writer, let’s chat separately about other ways I can help. This particular segment is for published authors at the moment, but I can help others learn the ropes as I did in different ways.
  3. I may not have read your book, but I will do my best to incorporate it into my upcoming reading list. Even without reading it, we can still promote you!
  4. I want these to be informative and fun, but not lengthy… a teaser to sell the very best of YOU.
  5. I’m open to suggestions, so please feel free to throw out other ideas for my 365 Daily Challenge.

If you’re interested, comment here or send me a private message on any of my social media accounts. I hope we have a good response rate, but if not, we’ll tweak the format and/or keep it as a short run. Start messaging me and I’ll prepare a schedule. And if you are reading my book, please leave a review!

33 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 214 – Alert (Are you an author?)

mrhushhush said:
    October 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM

James: I absolutely love that you’re doing this brotherman. Seems we’re on a similar path at the same time. I’ll def be buying a reviewing your novel the minute a get a chance without a doubt.
    I’m also very much looking forward to this Author Alert Friday thing you plan to set up.
    And no, you’re not promoting your book too much. Promise. lol I feel the same way.
    Anywho, I’ll be in touch! 🙂

October 12, 2017 at 6:58 PM

I had you in mind when I wrote the post today… as I’ve seen some of your posts and thought… I wonder if he’s getting any promotion. Looking forward to connecting. And thank you for taking a look at mine.

Christy B said:
    October 12, 2017 at 8:09 PM

Congrats, James!! YOU are an author now – does it seem surreal?!! I’d love to be part of your new author feature, if you so choose to have me over for a cup of tea and a chat 🙂 Of course I’m following here, like absolutely positively re that requirement 😉

October 12, 2017 at 8:17 PM

We have known one another quite awhile, I think it’s quite apropos! What’s the best way to reach you outside of WP comments? I am all over social media or my email is jamescudney4@yahoo.com

October 12, 2017 at 8:21 PM

And thank you. It does feel surreal. I’m trying to figure out this marketing thing now!!!

Christy B said:
        October 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Yes, marketing is another thing altogether from writing ~ You’ll get the hang of it! Thanks for the email addy and I’ll reach out today 🙂

Tea and Tales1 said:
    October 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM

This is a wonderful idea James! Authors helping Authors. I’ll be happy to review anyone you send my way! Congratulations on the book and you go ahead and talk about it as much as you want!

October 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM

Thank you. I am so grateful to how wonderful everyone is being about the book. I am excited about this new segment on the 365. I have two who are interested so far, very exciting!

October 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM

Great idea!!

Chauncey Rogers said:
    October 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM

You know I’m on board, James. This sounds like a great idea!

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
    October 13, 2017 at 2:17 AM

That really does sound like an amazing idea! There are simply so many authors out there who have to fight to be heard. All little things help and in this case, I honestly admire you for both thinking of it and be willing to execute it!
    I hope you get tons of response. I’m already looking forward to those posts and hopefully adding more to my TBR. 🙂

October 13, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Thank you. I appreciate it. 3 have signed up so far. Sounds like it may work. I have been lucky with support, so I just want to give some back. I look forward to chatting more.

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    October 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Jay, real good idea and nice of you to offer authors a spot on your blog. I’d sure like to be counted in if you see fit. Thanks for the opportunity!
    –Michael

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    October 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Thanks Jay. My email is: emhelms63@yahoo.com — Please let me know what you’re looking for.

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Jay, your book is kindle unlimited!!! I’m so excited, I’ve had it on my TBR, but until this post I was yet to pull it up on Amazon! It’s officially downloaded in my unlimited library, (and about 5 books down lol)… Definitely sign me up for this Friday awesomeness 😊 great idea!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM

Sounds perfect 😎

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 14, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Well, I have to admit that your offer is too good to decline. My newly revised book comes out next week. It’s the fourth edition of my account of homesteading (pioneering, actually) in Alaska back in the 1970s. This has been a long haul: first living it, then processing what happened there and the dissolution of our dream; then writing it, writing it again; self-publishing it, self-publishing it again; and finally publishing it through IngramSpark. This required professional formatting with InDesign, which in turn required more editing and many dollars, but it was now acceptable to libraries. My book came out in May of this year. I was finally done!

October 14, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Congrats! Let’s chat offline to get you on the schedule and decide what type of post would be bet. Looking forward to it. Feel free to email me at jamesjcudney4@gmail.com

Atwood Cutting said:
      October 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM

But not so. Another edit was called for. A rewrite, actually. “Too many commas,” I was told. Dutifully, I removed a thousand commas, and resubmitted the manuscript for new InDesign formatting. More dollars and more editing ensued; six more months of effort and angst. But enough about me. Over the past month I’ve been reading a few blogs with pleasure (one of which is James Cudney’s 365 day challenge. I particularly like the word challenges. Not that many people want to discuss the difference between destiny and fate. But I DO. So, today I find his gracious invitation to share in an authorial feast, which I accept. First, however, I must do my very LAST edit on my very LAST edition of the first part of my trilogy. Then, we push the button, and it is in print and sailing into a sea of sagas told by others, with love and labor and carpal tunneled thumbs, and hope. So, thank you, James, for this opportunity to express myself on your nickel. If anyone would like to read the book, please wait until that old, imperfect volume has been replaced by this new, closer to perfect edition of “Where the Moose Slept.” I was told recently that Da Vinci said, “Art is never finished, only abandoned.” I think he was right.

October 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Great quote. And you are welcome. Thank you! I have the first 3 slots filled, so we’re looking at late November. Reach out when you are ready for the Author Alert Friday spots.

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM

You bet. Late November, it is!
    What do I do to help?

October 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Think of a few ideas about how you’d like the post to appear / come across and let’s dialogue in email offline. Then I’ll come up with a draft and send in advance for input the week before.

Atwood Cutting said:
        October 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Hi Jay (not James?) I have the start of a blog on my website, but absolutely don’t know what to do with (in) a blog. I have set one up as a campfire chat, where folks can exchange yarns and photos of campfires. That’s gotten half a dozen followers. I’ve also posted a couple of short stories. No response yet. My refined edition of “Where the Moose Slept” has sucked up all of my time lately, but today I said, “Print it!” Now it’s back to “visiting” with all my new friends on social media, of which you are one. I hope you are well, and basking in the relief of a book well-done. Congratulations!
        Please let me know what you mean by, “how I’d like the post to appear,” and I’ll respond with an idea or two. Could we be discussing philosophy, or words, or upbringing, or places I have lived, or who I am (Atwood Cutting is Kate Peters).
        How does one “come across” to dialogue in email? Have a nice weekend.
        Atwood http://www.atwoodcutting.com or http://www.sleepingmoosesaga.com

October 21, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Hi – Let’s take this off the comments as it’s hard to follow here. Email me at jamesjcudney4@gmail.com and we can figure it out! 🙂 Looking forward to it.

October 15, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Jay you are a good good person doing this!

Nthato Morakabi said:
    October 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM

This is really great James! I’ll pick up your book for my Wednesday Book Review segment and promote you where I can too. Although I’m a published author, it’s in anthologies rather than a single novel/novella. This is a great idea and hope it all works out well :).
    PS: No you’re not talking too much about your novel haha.

October 16, 2017 at 8:46 AM

I appreciate it. Thank you! And I look forward to hearing what you think of the book. As for Author Alert Fridays, if you’re interested, send me an email or private message on social media so we can plan!