365 Challenge: Day 215 – Chill

Chill: (a) amazing coolness in the air, (b) relax, (c) shiver up your spine when frightened, (d) what you do to a bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate

chill

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge word was both easy and cathartic. I felt like a kid in a candy shop when I awoke to such an amazing and beautiful temperature in my bedroom. It was chilly, but not from the air conditioner; I left a window open overnight and the cool air danced its way around me. I love autumn and this is the first day I actually felt like it was beginning to materialize. I’ll forget that on Sunday it will be back up to 78, but then it drops and I will be a very happy guy. I can wear a light pair of pants and a v-neck tee, perhaps a comfy cardigan or sweater, and not feel like I’m in the depths of hell. Hallelujah, the weather deities are on my side. Sorry to everyone who misses summer or is concerned about winter’s approach… between Game of Thrones and this, you must be on high alert.

The word “chill” is also appropriate because W is back from a business trip and we will celebrate my book’s launch this week by chilling a few bottles of wine and champagne; we can celebrate the next step in my hopefully new and permanent career. Even Ryder might get a taste, although he’s a Prohibitionist. He turns his nose up (literally and figuratively) whenever either of us has a drink. I often use it to keep him away from the dinner table when he begs for too many scraps. I bring my drink to his nose as if to give him a treat, but he gets all huffy and walks away, perturbed at my beverage choices. And for anyone who thinks I’m being cruel… this lovable little monster gets scraps everyday, but after one or two, that’s enough people food. He’s only twenty pounds and I’d like him to live forever. Even if he and I have different views on many social and political topics.

Yet another reason to choose the word chill is today’s date: Friday the 13th! It means the beginning of a few scary movies this weekend to lure in the horrors of Halloween. It will send a chill up my spine but scary movies are my favorite. Thrillers… serial killers… and chillers… what a wonderful way to leave reality and just get lost in a good piece of fiction with a spot of danger. I know it’s not for everyone, but I like ’em. And lastly, it’s time to put my feet up and relax this weekend, as it’s been a busy week full of excitement and stress (all in a good way). I will chill for 24 hours and not worry about anything I have to do, rather I will focus on doing whatever I want to do. We all need a weekend day like that…

So tell me… which of these interpretations of the word chill do you most identify with? Or have you located another definition I’ve forgotten?

31 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 215 – Chill

October 13, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Ok, so you watch those crazy scary movies, yet you are petrified by a tiny little spider!!!???🕷🕷🕷🕷

October 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM

definitely “b”. but this could be my current situation haha. i worked a lot this week and i just can’t wait to be on my couch and forget about everything and chill 😀

October 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Ohh, God. I totally let it slide that today is Friday the 13th!!😂😵 For me, the word ‘chill’ means putting my feet up. Give me a whole weekend that I get to do anything but chilling on my couch reading, I’ll be happily settled😁✨📚

October 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Chill by reading and doing my paper crafting all day without worrying about anything else would be my choice. We could use some chill temperature wise as there are so many fires to the north of us it is unbelievable. I pray for rain and no wind!

Cozynookbks said:
    October 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM

(B) relax

October 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Seems like the common need this weekend! Hope it works out.

October 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM

People always tell me to chill out……now…..do they mean one of your interpretations, or are they telling me something else……😉

tylerus said:
    October 13, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Though I could well learn to “chill” (call me Ms. Perpetually-Stressed), there’s nothing better than to sit back and “chill” with a good bottle of wine (after being perpetually stressed . . . or not). Here’s to chilling! Cheers! 🙂

Leafさんの夢が。。。 said:
    October 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM

Your book launches this week?! Congratulations, James!!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    October 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Chilly I can handle, but straight up cold will most likely be the death of me! lol I hate the cold!!
    I do, on the other hand, intend on a nice kick back with a beer this weekend to chill and enjoy some relaxing time with family. 😉
    Great word choice today!

October 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM

You have had a banner week. I’m so excited to read your novel in a few weeks. Enjoy your weekend. BTW, check out yesterday’s post on Alert… in case you’re interested. No pressure!

AJ said:
    October 13, 2017 at 8:49 PM

I am looking forward to chilling on Sunday!

Denise Walker Photography said:
    October 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM

I celebrated Friday 13th by watching “The Conjuring”, for the second time. I enjoyed reading your many definitions of chill while drinking my morning coffee. I look forward to reading your past and future post. Congrats on the book!

janieleeds said:
    October 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Enjoy your chill weekend. You can keep your scary movies to yourself though. I am having none of that! LOL

October 14, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Sure you don’t want me to send a few horror flicks to your TV this weekend?

janieleeds said:
        October 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Ahem – Hell NO! LOL I’m a scaredy cat by nature when it comes to that stuff! But…if you know of a nice single Prince Charming you can send over to watch it with me and protect me, then maybe…haha

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    October 18, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Send that chill my way please. Was 97 yesterday in AZ.

October 18, 2017 at 3:57 PM