365 Challenge: Day 216 – Grocery

Grocery: (a) place you buy food items, or the food items you buy in a store, (b) a place to get compliments and NOT be rude

grocery

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge message is simple. You never know when what you see happening isn’t really happening.

Weeks ago, I mentioned the frustrating grocery store near me that had no brisket to cook for Ryder on the return from our vacation. Well… I went back yesterday to buy another one to cook last night for dinner this weekend. The store had no brisket again, but at least I picked up a pot roast as an alternative. I added everything else to my cart and got in line at a register where I was next to be checked out. There was an older couple taking their time with packing their own groceries and being a bit rude to each other and the cashier. Lines were building up and another cashier was just wandering around doing nothing, as this couple kept re-bagging multiple times. I was slightly annoyed at how the store failed to provide appropriate customer service and formulated some words in my head to try to help speed the situation along; however, I was also inclined to be careful not to be rude myself, so I said nothing and just let it go.

The customers leave and the cashier rings up my groceries. I begin bagging my own (I always help, as I was once a cashier and appreciated the help) and then the other cashier who had been wandering around doing nothing, walks over to the register. All three of us have a conversation where I learn before I had arrived at the register, the second cashier had started bagging the previous customer’s groceries. But the rude customer told him to go away noting that he would break everything and no one should touch her stuff. The cashier also told me the same rude customer was there shopping the day before, cursing out the person in line before her because that other customer was taking her time and holding everyone up.

Wow! I learned a few things… it’s good I didn’t say anything, as I would have been wrong… the cashier did try to help and was told to go away. I didn’t have all my information. I also learned rude people are just rude, and they probably don’t even care how they treat others.  But then I had the best lesson: the cashier soon turned to me, saying… “Don’t ever grow up to be rude like that, lad. You’re so young, it could happen to you one day.” In all sincerity, this cashier was barely 10 years older than me… calling me lad… telling me “when I grow up.” My moral less today:

Don’t be rude. Don’t say something if you’re unsure of all the facts. Your reward in the end will be someone telling you how young you look!!! What a big win for me that day… and the pot roast is cooked and ready to eat tonight. Life is good.

34 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 216 – Grocery

misifusa said:
    October 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM

I’ve got a smile on my face lad! Nice job! Always pays to get the full story before saying anything and look – it was delivered right to you! I dislike rude people and I always try to smile at them to show them that their cranky panted selves don’t affect my innate good nature. Of course, I’m not perfect though and I have been known to let loose a little. LOL Ryder and W will be excited for dinner tonight! 🙂

October 14, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Excellent… always good to laugh at me. I do too! LOL

Atwood Cutting said:
      October 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Indeed, I “let loose” at an airline counter once, and found my connecting reservation mysteriously cancelled when I got to my next stop. Sometimes, biting my cheek might save me some angst later.

Cozynookbks said:
    October 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM

Great lesson!! Thanks for sharing.

Yoly said:
    October 14, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Ha ha! Nice story.

October 14, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Very well said, Jay. You never know what has been going on before you step into the scene. I always bag my own stuff if there are no extra baggers around (and I do kind of agree with the old couple that sometimes the baggers don’t take as much care as they should – putting the bread at the bottom of the bag doesn’t help). I also try to look the checker in the eyes, smile and read their name badge so I can thank them by name, especially if I see they have had a difficult customer before me. Smiles are my thing, you know. You are a child. 🙂

October 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Ok….. but if I’m not rude,i have nothing left……. gee…. you take all the fun out of blogging…..

susandyer1962 said:
    October 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM

Great story and awesome lesson you taught this old lady, young Wipper Snapper! What a good lad you are! Leftover pot roast sandwiches are the best! On a crusty NY roll!!😎 Have a very happy Sunday Jay!

October 14, 2017 at 11:25 PM

We’re practically the same age. Lol. Whipper snapper. You too. How’s NY treating you??

susandyer1962 said:
        October 15, 2017 at 7:25 AM

No way Dude, I’m way older!! I’m going to be 55 next month. Anyway, NY is awesome and we truly love being here. Four seasons is the only way to live! Now if it would only get cold and start snowing! Hahaha

Have a great Sunday!!

October 15, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Bring it on… snow in maybe 4 to 6 weeks, I hope. I want the crisp cool fall air for at least a month.

susandyer1962 said:
        October 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I agree……I think the heat followed us and for that I’m sorry NY…….how can I go apple picking when it’s 80 degrees?

October 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Yeah, not a fun experience.

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    October 15, 2017 at 2:52 AM

Rude people should recall Hannibal Lecter’s rule towards the rude…

October 15, 2017 at 3:57 AM

oh jay, i love your little lessons! you’re so right! never assume things when you don’t know all the facts! rude people will always be rude and that sucks! but that doesn’t mean that we should be the same! hope you had a great dinner! 🤗

Weekly Wrap Up 10/8 – 10/14 – mistysbookspace said:
    October 15, 2017 at 11:17 AM

[…] 14% of it but I can’t wait to continue on with it cause I really want to know what happens. James is a fellow blogger that I have been following for several months now and this is his debut novel. […]

mainepaperpusher said:
    October 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM

What a great story! I would love to see that couple behind another couple who were cut from the same cloth.

Kristin said:
    October 15, 2017 at 11:49 PM

Well, bless their little hearts. 😂

October 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM

You know what they say down here in the South about rude New Yorkers…glad you weren’t rude.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    October 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM

People are rude just to be rude sometimes. Other times I think they take their bad days out on those who don’t deserve it. I worked in the fitting room at a Walmart for 3 years and I HATED IT! I was spit on, had stuff thrown at me, cussed out, etc., all by people who were rude and didn’t care about causing a scene and hurting the feelings of someone they didn’t know and didn’t deserve the treatment.

October 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM

OMG, I cannot even imagine someone behaving that way. I know it happens, but wow.. I’m sorry. On behalf of humanity (tho I don’t speak for them as those are bad seeds), I’m sorry!

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 21, 2017 at 12:37 PM

When reading your two definitions for grocery, I was admittedly confused. Of course, I now understand your right-on-sequitor (?) and I will probably remember your message for a long, long time. Good hearts lavish blessings on those around them, while sour souls taint the air. When I am annoyed, a brisk escape outdoors to distance myself from that generator of human nastiness might bring me the necessary rejuvenation to calm my affronted feathers. Otherwise, I am likely to speak my disapproval aloud, and you’re correct: sometimes a person is really having a bad day, and that’s when I should extend grace, and not say something I’ll regret. Curbing one’s tongue is a valuable social skill to develop. I’m still working on it.

October 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Sounds like you being aware of it is what helps make it easier to keep it in check!