365 Challenge: Day 219 – Copper

Copper: the color I’m possibly planning to change my hair to next time

copper

It’s been a long time since I posted anything too revealing in the 365 Daily Challenge, which means it’s time for a more informal and embarrassing one today. I’ve mentioned before that I have dyed my hair since I was about 18, as grey started quite early for me. It’s barely ten percent, but I see it and don’t like it! I have nothing against grey hair, and sometimes I actually find it quite attractive on other people. But I have an age in my head when I will give up on dying it and let it be all natural. I’m not there yet.

That said, though I’m usually consistent in 99% of all areas in my life, my appearance does not follow those same rules. I have always stayed within the same family of browns for my hair color, occasionally a bit darker or lighter, depending on my mood. On one scary instance, I went very black. And on another, by myself, I went quite copper. I didn’t know at the time you had to bleach your hair in order to turn it blonde. I was very young. Forgive me.

Lately, I’ve seen a bunch of redheads and found myself interested in giving it a try. I have natural red tones in my hair due to my Scottish and Irish ancestry, but I’ve never before wanted to bring them out. Until recently. W and I discussed it, as I wanted an opinion; he vetoed it. I’m sure you can imagine that discussion… and he’s not home yet, so as I write this post, keep this in mind. He might be reading this one in a few minutes and know sooner than expected. I went for my haircut today and showed a bunch of photos to the fantastic Rosemary who has taken care of my hair for about five years. She reminded me that due to the color already on my hair, she’d have to bleach it to get the color I wanted in the photos. So we compromised… I added more red tones to see if I like it, and then in my next hair cut, I can decide if I want to go full change or hold back where it is now.

There is still a bunch of product in my hair so you won’t see the full effect until it’s washed and dried again. It will also lighten up in the next few days, but I went with copper tones to try and get closer to the color I’d like for a little while; after all, it is autumn. It’s been a banner week with the book launch; I wanted to show my real personality. And give everyone a glimpse into my world… feel free to dislike it! 🙂 But feel free to love it. It’s not incredibly different, but I definitely see it getting more and more red. I also am growing it out longer until I decide what to do with it… Here goes…

B4AC26BB-15F2-4A50-8DB6-EE55066C0A97

It’s not clear in the last pic, but you can sort of see it starting to come through!

Let the embarrassment begin!

84 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 219 – Copper

October 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM

OMG yes!!! My natural hair is really dark brown with red tones in it. I loved the red so much that as soon as I turned 16 (when my Mum let go of the hair reigns) I dyed it red and have been dying it various shades of red/copper ever since with a few stops to black/blue/purple along the way! I haven’t been natural since then. I think anyone with red in their natural hair colour even a tiny bit looks amazing with a full head of red hair, it’s all in the colouring!

October 17, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Yay! Fellow Red! 🙂 I do like your hair, so it makes perfect sense.

October 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Hehe! Mine right now takes a lot of really strong bleach I have to totally strip my hair! I’ve used much less in your face reds in the past that don’t require bleaching.

roseelaineblog said:
    October 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Looking good, it will look even better after a few washes, 😊

October 17, 2017 at 6:08 PM

It looks awesome!! Sometimes you need a little change!

AJ said:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Love it:)

tahenryauthoress said:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM

I also went gray at a young age and my hair now is somewhere between 4 and 7 colors in the blue, pinks, purples, and green area. LOL

theloyalbritwit said:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:09 PM

I like it quite a lot! I’ll stay out of yours and W’s argument…buuuuuut…I’ll just leave the bit that says you’ve got a great complexion for reddish to copper color! 😅 You’ll have to keep us posted to see how you like the color overall!

October 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM

Omg, the color looks really great on you! I love your style, too! Great pics!!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM

I like that color! It goes really well with your skin tone.☺️

October 17, 2017 at 8:04 PM

I have been dying my hair since middle school I think or it might be high school I can’t really remember. My natural hair is a reddish brown (with the red being very prominent). I have never been a fan of the color red so I have always dyed my hair to cover that up. I will literally try any color but the one color I always go back to is black. I love dark hair on me and so does my hubby.

October 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Dark hair and light skin looks great. And I do like the pics of you with it. Funny as we always want something different of what we have!

October 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Yeah. But like you I have gotten to the point where I want some red in my hair but I can only stand it for so long lol.

October 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Hehehe! A different look every day!

October 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Lol my hair would fall out if I did that 😂

October 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM

That’s a good point. Hmmm. I’m not versed in this area but I think you might be right.

October 17, 2017 at 8:22 PM

I will probably just stick with the black!

October 17, 2017 at 8:26 PM

I’m too scared to ever try to dye my hair unless they invent a powerful, natural dye. You look good. Younger than usual 😉

October 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM

You’re way too kind! No wonder I like you so much.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
      October 18, 2017 at 8:58 AM

It took me 39 years to get up the courage to dye mine for the first time. And I started with just highlights. Now I love having something different. I’m about to do purple again and then next time, I’m thinking about a midnight blue. 🙂

Try it! It’s only hair. It’ll grow out. 🙂

October 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Wow! Yeah that’s probably going to be me. My hair grows so freakishly slow and it’s so jet black that I feel like bleaching chemicals would burn it all off and I’ll be a sad, bald panda. Hahaha.

October 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Oh panda.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        October 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Ahhh I can see why you’d be hesitant. Mine grows freakishly fast.

October 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

So true. Blue sounds great!!!!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        October 18, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Thanks! 🙂 My dad’s been pushing for blue for a while now. 🙂

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    October 17, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Looks great Jay!! My hair is plagued with red undertones, making me no stranger to accidental orange lol. I’m glad you have the skin tone for red, I’m a little jelly 😉
    I’m curious. though, what your ‘ready to go natural age’ is LOL I have a set age for that too and it’s 60 haha

October 17, 2017 at 9:25 PM

Thanks! Oh Orange. That can be just for Halloween! I tell myself at 50 I will stop dying my hair. Subject to change but that’s the current plan. 60 may be better tho!!!!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
        October 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM

haha YES… 50 is so young. I look at my mom dyeing her hair at 59 and I can’t even imagine otherwise. I’m just hoping to carry on looking ten years my younger, so that the die looks good and not forced by then…. Maybe we’ll both luck out and stay looking dapper when we get old 😉

October 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Totally makes sense. You have good genes, you will be fine! 🙂

October 17, 2017 at 9:20 PM

I like the reddish color and I kind of like the tousled look on the last picture but why the thug look? Smile. You’d look like a little kid. The one above that (on my right as I look at the screen) almost looks like a painting. The great thing about doing stuff to your hair is that it grows out eventually.

October 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM

Thank you! I have such a hard time smiling in photos. I feel awkward. Been practicing more in case I need to take pictures for the book. It’s not easy! And you speak the truth about it growing out!

October 17, 2017 at 11:39 PM

You will need to take pics for the book and all those fans who come for signed copies are going to want their pictures taken with you as well! They will want a smiling Jay. You have a nice smile and remember, they are contagious and need to be passed around.

October 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM

You might have to teach me how to smile properly. The muscles don’t seem to work that way! But you make so much sense! 🙂 Thank you.

Mel Gutiér said:
    October 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM

My God! Such a ham! LOL!😝

But you’re so adorably you! Copper is… nah! Just shave your head and grow a beard. Live a little! 😎

anne leueen said:
    October 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM

I love the copper or reddish look. If I dyed my hair that’s what I would like. And btw you have a book launch! A real live bona fide book launch. Not many people can say that so you can do whatever you bloody well like with your hair to celebrate! Yes!

October 17, 2017 at 9:38 PM

I know. It’s crazy!!! I was hoping for red in the photos. Lol. Copper can be fun. You should try it.

rugby843 said:
    October 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM

Being a redhead myself, I highly recommend it!☺️ You look great!

October 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM

I love it!! 💚

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    October 17, 2017 at 11:42 PM

I think it looks great!!! Tell W you could always go super crazy and make it purple or blue. 😉 Copper won’t sound so bad after that. 😉

Kristin said:
    October 18, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Oooh! It’ll be a great color for you

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
    October 18, 2017 at 2:11 AM

I honestly like it! I get ideas like that sometimes too, although it’s usually at the start of Summer and then end up with blue streaks in my hair. Although I got a couple of funny looks when I go outside, everyone around me just accepted it.
    It always feels good to change up your hair to match your mood, in my opinion. 🙂

October 18, 2017 at 8:03 AM

I agree… all the color help make you feel different things… enjoy the day better. What color was yours this year?

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
        October 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Indeed!
        I went for reddish this year, although it washed out pretty quickly. I could barely see it anymore when I got home from a festival so there aren’t even pictures of it now that I think about it.. Sounds like the perfect excuse to do it again. 🙂

October 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM

I think you’ve stumbled upon your answer today! 🙂

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
        October 18, 2017 at 8:44 AM

I think I’ll have to agree! So a thank YOU is in order! 🙂

mainepaperpusher said:
    October 18, 2017 at 2:52 AM

I love it !! And that’s from a woman who’s got the salt and pepper thing happening. Ok, more salt! Go red if you love it. It looks great. I think I’m of an age where salt is ok, but sometimes I add a purple swath just got fun! No bleach required!

tylerus said:
    October 18, 2017 at 8:15 AM

I like it . . . life is short. Have some fun!

I’m older than I’d like to admit, but alas, time does truly fly. One day you’re 30, the next you’re 50-something. Still, I had a “Mermaid Blue” streak put in my blonde-and-red hair. Maybe it’s silly, but I’m still feeling 18 . . . most days. 🙂

October 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM

It’s not silly. You should feel whatever age you want… hopefully it’s always young enough to be healthy and enjoy live, and old enough to be wise, humble and honest. 🙂 Thank you!

kdefranc said:
    October 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Hey Jay, I think the red tones look great on you! Definitely looks quite natural, makes you look dark and handsome. Have a wonderful day! Sincerely, Kathi Defranc

________________________________

October 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Aww… thank you! I appreciate it. I’m glad it’s natural!

moorezart said:
    October 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM

It syncs with the milieu.

Patty said:
    October 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM

You are rocking that messy wet hair look in the last photo. I love the color.

Susan said:
    October 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM

I love it! I too have had to dye my hair since I was about 20. My family is filled with silver foxes of all ages 🦊😉

October 20, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I love it! It’s subtle and not too extreme. Perfect color for you and it looks totally natural. Glad you didn’t do the bleaching as it can be so damaging! ❤

October 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Thank you. It’s getting more obvious in a good way, so I think I may be good with this level. I hope to skip the bleaching. 🙂

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    October 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Very nice!

misifusa said:
    October 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM

So….what did W and Ryder have to say? I applaud the freedom to color your hair any color you want and I love that you are trying something new. It looks good!
    I was bald (due to breast cancer/chemotherapy) and I began to grey early like you, so when my hair came back, I was not afraid to change beyond my natural dark brown. I was blonde for a few years, then dark brown, then highlighted brown and now have settled into sable brown with just a few well-placed highlights. I am enjoying the darker color now that it’s autumn so I get why you chose the copper! Good choice!

October 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Ryder says I look more like him. W was good with it. Thanks! As for you, I’m glad you try different colors — it’s important to give it all a chance! 🙂

misifusa said:
        October 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM

I agree! Glad Ryder and W were good with it!

Nthato Morakabi said:
    October 23, 2017 at 5:24 AM

I wish I could dye my hair too but as an African, it doesn’t always look… right. I’m jealous haha.

October 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Your hair was fine as it was, but I think I like the burgundy highlights much better. It does make a difference.

October 23, 2017 at 7:50 PM

I totally understand. My pure white hair was often the recipient of compliments, but it made me feel so ancient. My hairdresser suggested a simple rinse, and I use it every time I wash my hair. Now it’s blondish, grayish, light brown ish and I feel like a much younger woman.

October 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Some day I will see what you look like!

October 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM

That just might happen! I am hoping to make a trip to the Big Apple someday before I am too old to do it!