365 Challenge: Day 220 – Pie

Pie: a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry

pie

Earlier today, I had coffee/tea with a wonderful friend I met via blogging. We talked about the book launch, each other’s blogs, ways to promote, life’s fun happenings and the way people behave in real-life. It was a fun conversation and I’m glad to know her. As I was walking home, about 40 NYC blocks, I passed a number of restaurants who must have been serving dessert. All I could smell was different baked goods — mostly pies! I have never been a big pie guy. I love cake and cookies, but pies usually meant mushy fruits in soggy crusts. My mom bakes good pies, which I enjoy. But when I order dessert, it’s rarely pie. They all smelled delicious today, but why is that today’s 365 Daily Challenge word, you ask? {Hopefully someone did and I’m not just hearing things} Because I realized the way I feel about pie is often the way I feel about people. Bear with me a minute here…

Sometimes people are hard and crusty on the outside. Protective of all the wonderful things inside their minds. They might be cross on the outside or just have a tiny little opening to let out some steam when necessary. Sometimes they are mushy once you really dig in to get to know them. They can be sweet or tart. They can be full of color or drab. They can also surprise you. Sometimes the way a whole pie looks on the outside is very different than the way one slice appears once you cut into it. There are so many varieties, some you like and some you don’t like. But in the end, rarely are they ever exactly alike.

I’m not a fan of meat in pies as a general rule. I eat them, but I don’t call them pie. I call them quiche or Beef Wellington or Chicken Pot Pie. But when we’re talking about the sweet kinds of pies… Cherry. Pumpkin. Apple. Lemon Meringue. Just to name a few. Then I’m interested in a really well-baked pie. Either I am craving desserts or my mind is playing tricks on me. I really want pie right now. Maybe I’m just out of 365 Daily Challenge words. Or maybe I’m so distracted by everything on my plate, even little things like pie are easily able to steal my attention. It is autumn, also known as pie-baking season, right? Nonetheless, rules are rules. I wrote about pie. I cannot delete anything. So I’m left with asking all of you:

1. What’s your favorite kind of pie?
  2. Is it time for me to bake a pie this weekend?
  3. Do you have any suggestions on words for a future 365?

I’m asking for a friend. I’d never admit to being stumped. Also, I’m heading to the bakery for some before-dinner pie. For a friend. Have a nice evening.

I just love Melissa McCarthy

81 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 220 – Pie

caterpillars2butterfliesblog said:
    October 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Absolutely love the people to pie comparison. Not something I had every really thought about, but most certainly fitting!!! I personally love a good pecan pie….but then at the same time, coconut runs a very close race!! 🙂 It definitely sounds like it could be a pie baking weekend!! Sadly, I haven’t got to keep up with your daily words quite the way I would like….but would love to hear your spin on magical, or fantasy, or struggle… (if they aren’t already done, that is) ❤

October 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Those 3 have not been explored! I will work on them in the coming weeks, thanks. No worries on not keeping up. I post a lot, can’t expect people to read every day. We have lives! I read yours but don’t always get to comment which is my compromise to keeping up! Oh, pecan and coconut, those are good choices!!!

October 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Haha! Come on we know you love all things dessert!!

I love pie, like love it! Being allergic to wheat sucks because gluten free pie crust isn’t good! Favourite is pumpkin which is actually really unusual over here, nowhere ever sells them so I always have to make them, and you can’t buy canned pumpkin here either so I have to make it old school style which takes hours!!!

October 18, 2017 at 5:24 PM

but it tastes better when it’s old school, right? I forgot about gluten… that’s hard. 😦

October 19, 2017 at 4:37 AM

Yeah it does taste better, and actually pies are about the only thing I can bake, cakes are a disaster!

October 19, 2017 at 8:03 AM

A pie a week now!

Sherron0 said:
    October 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM

I love Chocolate pie the most. But not that stuff they serve in restaurants that is pudding on mushy crust. The way my Grandmother used to make it, which starts with Hershey’s Cocoa and sugar and is put in a fresh-out-of-the-oven piecrust, adorned with meringue and eaten before the crust cools.

And yes, it’s always time to bake pies.

Words, hmm. I’m a bit stumped by not knowing everything you’ve done already. But here are a few: layers, email, puppies, fence

October 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM

I don’t think I’ve used those. Thanks! And chocolate is my favorite in cakes, so that’s a good point!

October 18, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Ok first I have never heard anyone compare people to pie and I am loving it lol. I’m not a big pie eater at all. Really the only pie I like is Pumpkin Pie and I still hardly ever eat that.

October 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM

hehe, glad to make you laugh! Pecan Pie is good, too. Someone just reminded me of that!

October 18, 2017 at 5:56 PM

I’ve never liked pecan pie. My grandmother used to make pecan pie every time we had Thanksgiving at her house and I was the only person who wouldn’t eat it so she made a pumpkin pie one year for me to try and I’ve been eating it ever since.

October 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM

good tradition!

October 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Yeah it was. I still get pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving but it’s usually the store bought one. Which is still good.

Books,BooksAndMoreBooks said:
    October 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Coconut Cream. No, Strawberry Rhubarb. No. Sour Cream Raisin. No wait…sweet potato! I have never met a pie I didn’t like! Even Mince! You should definitely follow through on making a pie. Just to add it to your many other skills! I would love to hear your telling of your pie making!

theGracetyle said:
    October 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Wow.. I never thought about it that way! People are like pies haha. That was a beautiful simile ☺️ Well my favorite pie is my mom’s banana cream pie that she makes only once a year on Thanksgiving. I can’t wait.. just a couple of more days until I get to eat it!

tahenryauthoress said:
    October 18, 2017 at 7:29 PM

I always feel like all those carbs in the crust are a complete waste. I LOVE to make crustless pies though. Yes, that is pretty much just warm fruit glob then. But add some good gelato and it’s heaven.

Kiersten said:
    October 18, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Pumpkin has always been my favorite kind of pie. Second place is literally anything involving chocolate. (And yes, you should absolutely bake a pie this weekend!)

I love the comparison of people to pies. What kind of pie are you?

October 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Great question. So brilliant. I can’t decide. Apple because I’m reliable. Coconut cream because I am always a surprise. Banana cream because I am sweet and strong yet well balanced!

October 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Which are you!?

Kiersten said:
        October 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM

I’m tempted to say lemon meringue (even though I don’t like lemon meringue) because it looks all nice and put together on the outside, but then when you cut into it it’s a big mess. 😛

October 19, 2017 at 8:41 AM

oh!!! a mess every once is a while is ok… because it’s still pretty damn good!

Kiersten said:
        October 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM

Now I want pie

October 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM

breakfast is here!

AJ said:
    October 18, 2017 at 8:18 PM

It’s always time for pie or any baked good really:)
    Maybe you should stick with a good theme for your words:)

October 18, 2017 at 8:45 PM

mmm food! good plan.

AJ said:
        October 18, 2017 at 11:55 PM

You’re always safe with food:) and there’s just so many possibilities, especially inspired by where you live:)

October 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Lemon meringue or key lime for me. You should definitely bake a pie. That is what fall is all about, especially with all the gorgeous apples at the farmers market. Hmmm…. you want word suggestions….. too bad I never have an opinion on anything……😉😘😁

anisabookreviews said:
    October 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM

James, I love your blog posts! I just came home from India Two days ago -they have lots of savory pies i.e.samosas. Make a savory pie as it will be for dinner. I say a calzone because it is easy or a quiche! Future words: Celebration- in India there is the Festival of Lights Diwali. Also, Cabs throughout the world. Ours in Asia was called Tuktuk. You should bake this weekend- it’s cooler now and when you come home to the smells of a pie in the oven, it often leaves you speechless!

October 18, 2017 at 10:55 PM

Great ideas. Thank you! I appreciate it. And I love samosas. I have heard of Diwali but no little. 🙂

October 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Good analogy of pies and people. I have been noticing that more and more lately as I begin to work with the public. Give me a hot piece of boysenberry or lemon meringue. Those are my two absolute favorites. As for words how about absolute, strange(r), tempest, studio.

October 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM

Great words. Thank you! I have a bunch to keep me busy for a few weeks now. Thanks! As for pie, I’ve not had boysenberry. I must try that!

Mintly said:
    October 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM

I love shepherd’s pie the most, it’s actually quite easy to bake. You can try it out this weekend, maybe the vegan version? If you don’t like it to be too meaty. Cheers.

October 19, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Hehe! I’ve never eaten it before, so that would be interesting to try and make it!

Mintly said:
        October 19, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Yes, must try it. It’s one of my favorite comfort food. Hope you’ll like it.

October 19, 2017 at 5:26 AM

hahahahaha, that melissa mccarthy gif is awesome!! 😀 😀 😀
    i don’t like pie or cake. i don’t know why, but i never did…

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    October 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM

Beef and Ale Pie!

Yes, make one…

Write about your DIET. :p

October 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM

oh, diet is necessary after pie. hmm, another pie I’ve not tried!

susandyer1962 said:
    October 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM

OMG Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids just perfect!!

Cozynookbks said:
    October 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM

I like your pie analogy.

I love pie!! Particularly ones with flaky crusts. I hate the ones that taste pasty in your mouth. Yuck. I like apple pie with a little ice cream on top, but the apples must be soft.

Judy said:
    October 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM

A pie crust must be made with butter in a food processor. Thanksgiving is the one time I give myself permission to have a little slice of whatever pie is on offer. It’s once a year.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    October 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Mmmmmm pie. My mom makes good pie CRUST, but I’m not always keen on the type of pie she makes. Her cherry and blueberry are both too tart for me I prefer mine with more sugar – hehe.

As far as favorite types of pie – French silk, lemon meringue, and sweet potato are my top sweet favorites. Chicken pot pie, Shepherd’s Pie and a good Michigan pasty (which are based off of Cornish pasties) are my favorite savory pies.

I like your pie vs people analogy – very accurate. As far as words for 365 challenge – find an actual print dictionary, open it up to a few different pages and randomly pick words that apply to you or whatever. 🙂 Go to the library if you don’t have a print dictionary at home. 🙂

Patty said:
    October 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM

I am not a fan of pie. Give me cake over pie anyday! 🙂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Great post! I don’t know many people who are big on sweet pies here in the UK, so yeah, gimme cake instead any day 😉 But I gotta admit I do like meat pies since you mentioned it 😀 #sorrynotsorry

anne leueen said:
    October 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Rhubarb strawberry pie. Yes, you should bake a pie and if I lived in NYC I would walk over to get a slice of it. Your would not need to actually meet me but could just leave it on the door step and I would know it was my slice of pie. New words: peregrination, tantrum, overture, reverse, appropriate. Thanks for this pie post. I really enjoyed it.

October 19, 2017 at 8:06 PM

You’re welcome anytime! I like those words. I have some good things to start with this weekend. Thank you. I used to grow rhubarb!

October 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Oh, Yum! I’m so hungry after reading that. You should definitely bake a pie! It’s the perfect time of year. I love pumpkin pie, but my all time favorites are cherry, apple, coconut cream, and banana cream pie. I just might back one this weekend. 🙂 ❤

October 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM

You have to bake one!!! And show pics. I am hoping to on Sunday. 🙂 A pie a week, that sounds about right with all those flavors.

October 20, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Haha 😉 I shall try. You’ve inspired me and Sunday is baking day. 😊🎃 Can’t wait to hear what you did. We need to do a British Baking Show challenge. That would be fun. 💜 Maybe when things settle down!

October 20, 2017 at 5:17 PM

I totally think that’s a great idea! We could pick a Sunday with a few hours and have a few of us on FB messenger / video chat!

tylerus said:
    October 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Love pumpkin pie . . . with oodles of whipped cream and cinnamon. Nummm. I say, go for it – bake! It will prove fun if not therapeutic (I always find baking and cooking a good stress reliever and/or way to collect thoughts.) Some words, hmm. Well, while we on the topic of pie (food), how about: epicure, grub, gourmand, gratification, consumption, and . . . the list could grow way too long. Enjoy!

October 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Oh, thank you for the words. I have about 30 in total now. I’ll never run out again! As for pie-baking, if it’s under 70 I will bake this weekend!

Susan said:
    October 20, 2017 at 5:03 PM

What’s your favorite kind of pie? Mmmmm lemon meringue, blueberry or apple
    Is it time for me to bake a pie this weekend? Yes!
    Do you have any suggestions on words for a future 365? Just keep on doing what you do!

October 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Thank you very much! I need to catch up on your blog this weekend. I’ve been reading so quickly, no time to comment. I will make time this weekend!

misifusa said:
    October 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM

Melissa McCarthy makes me crack up! Just love her! As for pies, eh, not so much. Sure I love a good quiche, beef wellington etc., but I’m not a pie eater (unless it key lime or something with meringue).
    So what pie did you get? Hope it was delicious! 🙂

October 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM

I actually didn’t get a pie… because I’m making one tomorrow! Not sure what kind yet. I did make a quiche last night and ate some for brunch today.

misifusa said:
        October 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Oh good for you! What kind are you making?

October 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM

quiche was pancetta, swiss and asparagus. Undecided on pie still!

misifusa said:
        October 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM

Oh yum! Now you’re making me hungry! 🙂

October 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Over the years, I have established myself as quite the cake baker, often embellishing original recipes with touches that made them all the better. People would frequently ask for my recipes. After 45 years of marriage, my husband asked that I give the rest of the cake I’d baked him away. He explained that he was “really more of a pie man!” His idea of a good pie is a ready-to-bake pie crust and a couple of cans of Comstock pie filling. It was definitely an easier way to make him his dessert, and so far the marriage has lasted 53 years, just sayin’…

October 23, 2017 at 4:36 PM

That is too funny. I can’t believe he waited so long to say that. I need to visit and get a cake or pie!!!

October 23, 2017 at 7:48 PM

I bought him a coconut cream pie, made with cool whip on top from a young girl in our church whose home school group is fundraising to take a trip to New England…seeing NY, Boston, and maybe Philadelphia. I gladly paid for the pie to support the neat kids and to get a homemade pie I am not capable of making. Killed two birds with one stone.