365 Challenge: Day 223 – Cartoon

Cartoon: a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine

cartoon

I enjoyed cartoons as a child, but I hardly ever watch them anymore. I have seen a few newer ones (Paw Patrol or Dora the Explorer) when visiting with friends or family who have younger children, but it’s not often we have the television or mobile device turned on with a cartoon. The reason I chose it as today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is two-fold: (1) I am seeing so many commercials for them lately which have made me curious to watch them again and (2) I am wondering if I ever act like a character from a cartoon show? I think the first reason is fairly straightforward, but how could I compare myself to those characters from my favorite shows…

I watched several as a child, but the ones sticking out were The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tom and Jerry, Inspector Gadget, Bugs Bunny, The Smurfs, Garfield, and of course, all the Disney shows. The Smurfs and Scooby Doo were probably my favorites, mostly because of the imagination and mystery aspects, which are the two things I can most relate to. Saturday mornings resting on the couch while eating breakfast and waking up to these shows are always good memories. It’s been replaced with checking all the key social media, email and other pertinent websites on the Internet. That doesn’t seem fair, now does it?

Cartoon characters are quite memorable. They do things we wish we could do. They make us laugh. They make us cry. We relate to the silliest of things yet know it’s a completely far away world. Oh, to be blue like a smurf! I think I was in love with Smurfette for a few years… now what does that say about me knowing who I am today! (I also loved Gargamel, so let’s NOT go there!) I preferred Velma on Scooby Doo, as Daphne and Fred were too rigid. While over the top and often not the best role models, some of these characters probably helped formulate who I am and how I think. I didn’t watch shows like Sesame Street or Reading Rainbow; they weren’t really my style. Nothing wrong with them, but I preferred to read books than watch TV shows. Cartoons, however, were my escape for entertainment when I needed to be silly. Today, when I need to be silly, it’s usually dancing or drinking.

Maybe it’s time to return to cartoon days and ease on into my Saturday mornings… what do you think? It would still be the old-school ones, as I’m not sure I can handle today’s versions. Which ones did you watch as a kid? Do you watch any still today? What about your kids? I’m feeling some Inspector Gadget this weekend…

64 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 223 – Cartoon

tahenryauthoress said:
    October 21, 2017 at 9:42 AM

neflix has a new inspector gadget series. I tried to get my son to watch it but it was a no go. He has very picky taste for someone who would like to live on cartoons. LOL

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    October 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM

I love the Rugrats.

October 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM

I can’t really remember all the cartoons I watched as a child. I know I watched the Loony Tunes and Sesame Street. At least I think I did. All the shows I remember watching aren’t really cartoons. Like a show called My Big Comfy Couch. At least I think that’s what it was called and Gullah Gullah Island l.

AJ said:
    October 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM

I loved the cartoons of my childhood. I used to watch duck tales and rescue rangers each day with my brother when we came home from school. I loved lots of the same as you though- I think those were much better than the ones today, but that may just be nostalgia talking😂

Book Club Mom said:
    October 21, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Nice post! I watched a lot of cartoons when I was a kid, but it’s so different now because they are on TV all the time. Back then, it was only Saturday mornings, with a couple options on Sunday (Gumby and David and Goliath – not exactly cartoons, but definitely watch-worthy). My favorites were Bugs Bunny, The Jetsons, Road Runner, Tom and Jerry, Porky Pig – the classics. I also watched a lot of Scooby Doo, but I loved The Archies since I was a big Archie comic book fan. My kids watched a lot of the Nick and PBS cartoons – Arthur, Spongebob Squarepants, Bob the Builder and my favorite modern kid one was Backyardigans – probably liked that one more than my kids though!

October 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Thank you. Those are some good ones. I forgot about Road Runner!!! So good.

Thanks for the memories. :). Maybe we should write a cartoon. Lol

Beware Of The Reader said:
    October 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Well James I never stopped watching cartoons as I must be a big child inside LOL By the way we must be around the same age as your cartoons were mine too LOL

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    October 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM

I really miss Duck Tales, and the Rescue Rangers… They were my favorites as a kid! lol

October 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM

My cartoons were the early Looney Toons and Disney type. My kids watched a great one called Blue’s Clues. I think you would have liked it. They watched Sesame Street. I was all about early education. They also watched The Elephant Show and Rugrats. The cartoons that are on now are disgusting. Except Family Guy. I love Stewie 🙂

October 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM

I remember Blue’s Clues… it was when I was a teenager, but I had younger cousins watching it!

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    October 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM

In my experience, cartoons are often the best medium to express real life.

roseelaineblog said:
    October 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM

I liked Tom and Jerry and Popeye 😊

October 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM

ah, Popeye. I did watch a few times.

roseelaineblog said:
        October 21, 2017 at 12:53 PM

I thought you would be too young to remember popeye 👵 oh and Topcat 🐈

October 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM

I don’t recall Topcat. But I did watch Popeye. It was OK, not a regular one, but if it came on and I couldn’t find others I liked, I would watch.

misifusa said:
    October 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Oh what a great subject for a post Jay! I loved Saturday morning cartoons – Davy and Goliath, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, and the Superheroes (which I think had Wonder Woman etc). I remember sleeping over friends’ houses and eating cereal and watching cartoons. Those were the days!
    I have watched the newer versions of Bugs Bunny, but I don’t like them. I’m old school I guess. And yes, I agree, I liked Velma best because she was more like me. I was never a Daphne.

Mintly said:
    October 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM

How about The adventure of tin tin? I think it was one of the best good old days cartoon.

October 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM

I have heard of it, but not seen that one!

Mintly said:
        October 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM

I did not watch it when I was young, just found out few years ago. I think it’s a quite good one, but some people might think it’s boring.
        Maybe you can try to watch it?

October 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM

I will look it up!

SDC said:
    October 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Would I be laughed out for saying the word Snork?!!

October 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM

I don’t watch many but I am completely addicted to Family Guy! I’m also very much one of the characters in it which is hilarious to watch especially as other people have pointed it out as well!
    As for when I was a child, I didn’t really watch anything as a child! Man, I was boring eh?! TV was really strictly controlled and I would read rather than watch it at least until I was older and started to get into the story of something properly. Hubs almost passed out with shock that I had never seen Sesame Street and didn’t know who any of the characters were, which he has spent years fixing! 😂

The Otaku Judge said:
    October 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM

I have fond memories of watching many of the shows you listed from your childhood. Unlike you, I am still a big watcher of animated shows. Mostly anime from Japan and the odd superhero film.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM

hehe I don’t still watch cartoons, but I get what you mean, it was a lovely feeling to spend the weekend just watching cartoons (I also loved Bugs Bunny and Scooby Doo!)

mainepaperpusher said:
    October 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM

I very rarely see the (very) old cartoons of my youth, but when I do, I’m struck by the dialog. Much of it was funny as a kid. As an adult (sorta) there are all sorts of things in the dialog to amuse adults that go right over the kids’ heads. Plus, a lot of the music is comprised of well-known classical pieces.

October 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Flint stones. Jetsons. Magilla gorilla. Love the memories, but glad my daughter never watched them. What does that say!?

tylerus said:
    October 23, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Loved cartoons as a kid — in fact, watched the same ones you did. Still love Scooby-Doo, but rarely have a chance to watch. Maybe I need to find some time and do that, and return to “simpler” times.

October 23, 2017 at 8:49 AM

I think it might help us all relax a bit, even just two hours a week. A Scooby-Doo-a-Thon!

October 23, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original version from the 70’s or 80’s) was my favorite. Although we were “grownups” and teaching jr. high and high school, My Better Half and I watched it every Saturday. Any show that has its main characters named after Renaissance painters and sculptors was bound to be good. And the life lessons it taught were excellent.

susandyer1962 said:
    October 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Porky Pig……….okay showing my age here big time………

October 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM

I watched those too!

October 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM

Popeye terrified me as a child post WWII when he came out at the cheap movies on the Naval base. When he and Bluto would fight, I’d scream and carry on until one of my parents took me out of the theater.

timbushifamily said:
    October 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM

I am a cartoon fan, I love watching it so much..And I learn a lot from it too…..
    Nice piece Dr, Keep up the good work