365 Challenge: Day 226 – Studio

Studio: (a) room where an artist, photographer or sculptor works, or (b) film or television production company

studio

When I first thought of the word studio today, I remembered the movie ‘Studio 54.’ I rather enjoyed that movie, as I’m fascinated by all things from that generation. I missed it by a few years, but that might be a good thing; who knows how different my life would have been if I grew up in the 60s and 70s… but those are not the two definitions of today’s word that I plan to discuss.

Who has a studio, whether it’s in your home or in some other location? I’m envious of you. It sounds professional, charming and artistic. To have a space you can go where you create beauty and life, but have little worry or interruption. To be able to tell someone you’re off to the studio for a few hours… sounds amazing. All your materials, stored in one location, ready for your fingers and mind to develop something from scratch. Whether you paint or sculpt, draw or write, create greeting cards or gifts, it’s a passion we can hopefully all identify with in some way. Living in NYC does not make it possible for me to have a studio, unless I were to rent a space in a distant part of one of the boroughs. And even then, real estate is just too expensive. I think when I move back to the suburbs (it will happen), one of the requirements is a studio, where I can truly separate myself from my work and my life. Although I love my role these days, it feels 24/7. A studio might offer that special place where you can find the magic without being in the same place all day long.

The other kind of studio fascinates me almost as much as a personal space of creativity. Does anyone here work in a music, movie or television studio where you produce entertainment day after day? Imagine being part of creating a story in words or pictures that brings enjoyment to millions of people whenever they hear or see the final product? I was surprised to learn that a studio opened in my tiny hometown on Long Island. I grew up in Bethpage, New York, where the only famous thing about it, well two famous things, or three if you count me (ha, that’s was seriously awful)… was (1) Grumman, an aerospace company that built tons of weaponry and airplanes and (2) Bethpage was once known as Central Park, but 1920s New York inhabitants and visitors got confused whenever people said “I’m going to Central Park.” Did they mean the NYC park or the sleepy Long Island town? Today, Grumman Aerospace is much smaller and a huge piece was converted to Grumman Studios, where several movies and TV shows are filmed. It’s cool to think that happens in your hometown, but even more cool when you tour studios across the country. I’ve been to a few in California, always enjoying the backstage looks and scenery. I feel the power and energy of something being born within those walls. And it’s amazing to walk through outdoor spots you recognize from your favorite shows.

Maybe someday I’ll be involved in a studio production of something I’ve written in my own home studio… a boy can dream… I enjoyed today’s word, but it was not one I thought of on my own.  Thank you to the wonderful Janet’s Smiles for today’s 365 Daily Challenge word idea! If you don’t know or haven’t met her, go check out her site for her wonderful approach to life. Maybe she’ll tell us how she feels about the word ‘studio.’ I enjoy her posts as they make you laugh, believe and smile. Kudos to Janet!

23 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 226 – Studio

theloyalbritwit said:
    October 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM

I’ve always wanted a studio. I’ll stay positive that one will come into my life…eventually! Until then….

But here’s to hoping you get one soon-ish. 😅 Thanks for sharing this gem and I’m going to have to check out the blog that recommended today’s word, too!

Kip Walkin said:
    October 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM

When I hear the word studio, the first thing that comes to mind is photography, with all the poses and snapshots. Cameras and lights. I often wonder why it stubbornly comes first to mind before others.😄😄

I enjoyed reading this well penned post. Thanks for sharing.👍

October 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Thank you, I appreciate it. Studio makes me think of art then photography. I’ve never been good with a camera, that could be why. Thanks for the great comment.

misifusa said:
    October 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Oh Studio 54! I can’t even begin to imagine the mayhem, but I would have liked to have been there for one night! LOL In my dreams because I liked that disco era music!
    I wish I had a studio, but I don’t. I write in the family room of my home, in the center but only when it’s quiet. I can’t write when there’s music or distractions. How about you? Do you play music when you write?

October 24, 2017 at 2:53 PM

I actually can’t listen to music when I write. I need complete silence! Some day we’ll both get a studio. 🙂

misifusa said:
        October 25, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Woo hoo! I’d love to have a studio! 🙂 Hoping you get yours too!

shalini said:
    October 24, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Great post Jay… I am sure your studio would be successful

Mintly said:
    October 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM

My dream is to have a small studio (just like what you’ve mentioned – personal space of creativity) at my future home, which will be a place that I can write, paint, draw, go through my ideas and work.
    I really enjoy your daily post 🙂

October 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM

I used to have an office which I guess you could have called a studio. Back when I had a nice big house. I miss that house and all that space!

October 24, 2017 at 3:59 PM

Oh my, what a wonderful intro to me! I am blushing. Thank you so much, Jay. I am fortunate to have a studio in my home, thanks to all my kids who have moved on to their own lives and to my husband who helped me put it together. I have been thinking about doing an actual blog post (or perhaps my first try at a video) to show what my “studio” really looks like. I do have music playing (when it is not baseball season) as I create better with tunes. I can really get lost in my happy place there. I do have to tell you, though, that one of the creative spirits I follow is Jamie Ridler whose tag phrase is “Your life is your studio!” You can check her out here: https://www.jamieridlerstudios.ca/the-studio I think that is an excellent concept. Did you at least get yourself that comfortable chair? How about a room divider panel to at least close off some space while you are working? You deserve it, Mr. Published Author! Thanks again for the sweet words. Janet

October 25, 2017 at 8:09 AM

You are very welcome. I will take a look at the link – thank you. No chair yet, but possibly this weekend!!!!

AJ said:
    October 24, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Studios are so cool! They have been the highlight of some of my holidays:)

rugby843 said:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:48 PM

I always thought the idea of a studio would be cool. That’s when I was crafting, painting etc. Now I don’t do any of that but it does call to me once in a while.

October 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM

Oh I would love a studio!!

Book Club Mom said:
    October 24, 2017 at 9:09 PM

Yes, I would love to have a studio – or even a room dedicated for folding laundry – we make do with what we have, so I guess my studio would be the kitchen table when no one else is home!

October 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM

What interesting comments! What interesting people!