365 Challenge: Day 237 – Practice

Practice: (a) the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use, or (b) repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it

practice

There are times in life when you do something new. Sometimes those things excite you. Other times they scare you. As I said earlier this week, just because it’s strange doesn’t mean it’s bad or frightening. I have two new activities coming up in the month of November that I’ve never done before. Both are a bit intimidating, but I know that I’ll figure out how to make it best work for me before the reality happens. Over the next few weeks, I’m going to practice until I am comfortable with what I’m doing. You’ll all have an opportunity to witness the end result, but for now, I’m keeping the two events a tightly kept secret until I can safely make the announcement. I need confirmation. I need practice. I need to make it work.

In the meantime, I’ve copied in a few of my favorite quotes about what it truly means to practice. Some I believe in as the hard and fast truth; others are good reminders to keep an open mind and look at all the options. What are you favorite quotes on ‘practice?’

———————————

• The discovery of what is true, and the practice of that which is good, are the two most important objects of philosophy. –Voltaire
  • Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors. — Confucius
  • You can’t hire someone to practice for you. — H. Jackson Brown Jr.
  • Don’t practice until you get it right; practice until you cant get it wrong. — Anonymous
  • Practice makes perfect. — Anonymous

53 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 237 – Practice

November 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM

You will be amazing at anything you do! 😉

November 4, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Reblogged this on Growing Self and commented:
    Jay’s post hit home for me today, as we head to Detroit for the kids’ State Marching Band Competition! They are ranked 1st in the state, so we are hoping their “Practice”, dedication and passion for music allows the kids to leave their most amazing performance EVER, on the field today!

lauriewoodwardauthor said:
    November 4, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Reblogged this on Laurie Woodward and commented:
    A simple reminder that in all things it is the PRACTICE that leads to excellence. Thank you James.

November 4, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Great quotes. Looking forward to the new things. Might it have something to do with video? 🙂

Book Club Mom said:
    November 4, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Some good quotes and reminders here. I think some are about practicing until you’re comfortable with a new activity (as in your case!) and others are about becoming comfortable about an idea. And of course, with a sport or an instrument, practice is about learning something to near perfection. Practicing a natural skill, though, can be trickier because the performance is a reflection of instinctive talent and preparation. But for a regular person like me, practicing something is always a good idea!

November 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM

I’m a regular person too! So I fully understand what you are saying. I also appreciate the extra interpretations and views on practicing. Natural versus earned, what a great concept! Wonderful response, thank you.

Mintly said:
    November 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM

I believe that your two events will be amazing 🙂 Good luck!!

One of my favourite quote – “If a man keeps cherishing his old knowledge, so as continually to be acquiring new, he may be a teacher of others.” from Confucian analects. Which meant only if we review our old knowledge and continue to learn new things, then we can be the teacher of others.

Mintly said:
      November 4, 2017 at 1:02 PM

I was kept reminding by the adults about this quote, because they want me to do revision more often and willing to learn new things. We also interpreted it in this way – revising and practicing the old knowledge, and keep learning new things, will help us to have new insights, then we’ll be able to master the things that we want to do.

Mintly said:
        November 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM

I like this quote from your list “Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors”.
        If we are virtuous (which can be practised), then we’ll be always surrounded by like-minded people.
        Have a good weekend. All the best!!! Can’t wait for your announcement. 👻

November 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Thanks again! I hope you’re getting everything done, sounded like you had a busy weekend coming up!

Mintly said:
        November 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Yes, definitely a busy weekend, fortunately today I can have some sleep catch-up 😊

Mintly said:
        November 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM

What?! I thought this comment didn’t went through. 😑
        Lol. Now, it’s looks like I’m spamming your comment box.

November 4, 2017 at 10:00 PM

Ha! It’s happened to me before too. WP fun!

Mintly said:
        November 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Yes, definitely a busy weekend. Fortunately only until Saturday, I can catch-up some sleeps today.

November 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Thank you very much for the wishes and confidence in me.

Thank you also for introducing me to that saying. I live by that everyday, but never heard those words before. It’s a great one! 🙂

November 4, 2017 at 1:01 PM

You will be amazing at whatever you do James!! Can’t wait to learn more about what you have coming up!!

November 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM

That’s so sweet, I appreciate it. I feel good about 1 but not sure yet about the other. I keep telling W that he needs to handle it instead of me! He won’t listen.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    November 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Ha! You can’t say things like that and not tell us everything right away. So not fair LOL. Now about the quotes the last one was the one I would have chosen.

November 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM

The last one is a very clear message!

As for the 2 items… I know, I’m awful. I really do like to tease and keep secrets. And I torture my characters, so I’m not a very nice guy, huh? LOL

Beware Of The Reader said:
        November 4, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Well it seems an author’s character trait, teasing I mean. I know of other authors ending their books on huge frustrating cliffhangers. If that’s not teasing… LOL I cross my fingers and hope practice make it perfect so that you’ll reveal the big secret.

November 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM

I appreciate that comment so dearly!

Atwood Cutting said:
    November 4, 2017 at 1:40 PM

This speaks as truth to me and my own life’s ambition. Thank you, J.
    Wishing you moments of pleasure in your practice.

roseelaineblog said:
    November 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM

Interesting, I can’t wait 😉

shalini said:
    November 4, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Jay, after reading all these comments I have no words left to say. They have all said what I want to say.
    To me, you are the kindest blogger I have met since the initial days of blogging. And you are still the same so that means you have been practising kindness every day.
    To be a good human requires practice every day every moment. It’s easy to be good human most days, but always is difficult. So I practise being a good human always. I am hot tempered so I have to consciously practise the art of cooling down.
    Everything requires practice. Work, way of being, living well, being kind, being patient always – patience requires the most.
    These are my views totally.
    Jay, on a humorous note, I use the word practice like this… My private practice (medical work) is down due to decreased economy, so I am practising the art of living frugally… Hehehe

November 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM

You have a way with words. Don’t ever stop practicing that art! 🙂

I appreciate everything you said, and I’m glad it all resonates with you too. It’s a bit funny, I am pretty average in most things I do and I just look at this as a baseline for how everyone should try to be. It’s not always easy, and I had moments this week where I just felt exhausted and worried over reviews, but in the end, I always tell myself: I control my happiness and my interaction with other people. If I don’t give what I would like in return, then why should I ever expect or hope for that same kindness.

Patience it truly a virtue… there are days when I just keep shouting it inside my head until my lack of patience is only with myself for not shutting up!

shalini said:
        November 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Good luck with whatever you have planned. My only wish for you is enjoy whatever you have planned to the fullest….

November 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM

TY

moorezart said:
    November 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

November 4, 2017 at 6:55 PM

I have no doubt you will excel at both of these things. You are pretty darn determined to succeed at everything you set your mind to so that’s a great place to start. 😉

November 4, 2017 at 8:22 PM

I’m sure you will nail those two things although you said you have never done them before… I think you are highly goal-oriented and will do everything in your power to achieve your goals. I have a faith in you, Jay! Looking forward to the secrets reveal and I will keep my fingers crossed for your success!!

November 4, 2017 at 8:41 PM

I know you can do anything you set your mind to, and you work hard and just do what you need to do!!!!! You will be great at whatever you are practicing!!

anne leueen said:
    November 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM

Practice. Rehearse. I think you have a very organized approach to the things you take on. So I feel that your “practice” will be good.

Abby Strangward said:
    November 5, 2017 at 3:54 AM

Love this premise – just stumbled across your blog, excited to read more!
    Abby – http://www.seafoaming.com