365 Challenge: Day 238 – Cozy Mystery (LIST: Fiction Genres )

Cozy Mystery: lighthearted mystery that is a sub-genre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community

cozy.png

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I will pick a favorite book genre and discuss all the reasons why I love it. In our second week, it’s all about cozies — cozy mysteries — which are ultimately my favorite of all things to read because it’s such a fine balance of everything [when done properly]. Let’s chat about why I adore this genre:

• People wielding secrets, need I say more?
  • A small town feels so comforting.
  • I fancy myself a detective, so I try to solve everything.
  • I love surprises (for other people, not me!).
  • I grew up watching Murder, She Wrote.
  • Serial fiction is my absolute favorite thing in the world; the cozy often has the same core set of characters within each book.
  • I can read through one in about 3 hours, which is the perfect amount of time for a lazy weekend afternoon, beach read (I melt after more time than that), or when curled up next to a fire (I can only take so much heat!).
  • I basically am a combination of Miss Marple, Jessica Fletcher and Hercule Poirot.
  • There’s a bit of suspense, romance, mystery, inspiration, hope… it has everything.
  • I’ve written 4 chapters of two separate cozy mysteries and intend to publish one in 2019. It takes place on a college campus with a 30-year old male protagonist, not something very common in this genre.
  • They make me happy, which is something we all want, right?

cozy2

Although the cozy can be a stand-alone novel, it’s most often a full book series. I’ve read a few that take place outside the US or UK, but those two countries are usually the setting. It’s almost always a female lead(s), ages around 30 to 35, or 60 to 65. I’m definitely exaggerating a bit, but that’s the majority I’ve read. There are lots of good ones I’ve also read with a very different protagonist, so don’t think they are always the same. Each has a common thread, e.g. the true profession of the lead, the location where the murders all take place, a pet who helps solve the crime. It’s humor. It’s lofty. It’s cozy!

What are my favorite reads?

What’s next on my list in this genre?

• I need some serious help here: I have 466 cozy mysteries on my Goodreads TBR. I can’t decide what to read next. I have started many series and enjoy them all. I am also open to any suggestions on what to read next???

How about you? Any favorites or recommendations? Do you not like this genre? Time to share!

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

61 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 238 – Cozy Mystery (LIST: Fiction Genres )

Samantha Duffy said:
    November 5, 2017 at 9:58 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever actually considered “cozy mysteries” as a genre! I do however want to read Murder on the Orient Express (not that it has anything to do with the new movie coming out 😅).
    I have been getting more into the crime/suspenseful novels lately though so this sounds like a genre I would most likely explore in the near future ☺️

November 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM

It’s a sub-genre of mystery fiction, but everyone has different ways of categorizing this one. It’s really huge and the following among fans is intense.

kathyscottage said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM

I’ve never read a book by Diane Mott Davidson. Thanks. I’ll check her out.

November 5, 2017 at 10:03 AM

She wrote about 20 of them, but the series is finished. It concluded in a nice way; for the most part, all the books were very good. I liked her as a character. She was flawed, but not exaggerated. Funny, but not stupid/silly. The characters were always memorable. Enjoy!

theloyalbritwit said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:32 AM

I love this phrase “cozy mystery” and I love the genre!! Two for one, today, friend! 😃 Plus it reminds me of how much you liked my own post on “cosy” 😬😆

November 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM

My favorite kind of book to read as well. I am reading the Murder of Roger Ackroyd right now as part of my 2017 Pop Sugar challenge and I intend to see Murder on the Orient Express although I have some trouble seeing Kenneth Branagh as Hercule. Have you read Sue Grafton’s alphabet series? I love Kinsey Millhone. I have discovered Laura Child’s scrapbooking mysteries set in New Orleans to be a fun read too. She also write a series set in a tea shop. Given your recent interest in tea, you might enjoy that. I haven’t read Diane Mott Davidson and the picture of your second collection is too small for me to see who that is. Very happy Sunday to you, Jay.

November 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM

I have not looked at the movie trailers purposely so I can be fully surprised. He doesn’t seem quite right tho, you’re right.

I have read most of Grafton’s work. I have the last 3 coming Xmas time as a present, so I will get to them in 2018. I haven’t read Laura Child yet, but I see her books all the time, that may be the right one.

Diane Mott Davidson writes a culinary series, one of the earlier ones. She’s divorced with a young son. She finds love, has a quirky best friend and solves mysteries in Colorado. Great setting. Happy Sunday to you!

b0rn_2_read said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM

I love cozy mysteries 🙂

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Have you tried Anne George? She wrote the “Southern Sisters Mystery” series. When I first decided to try my hand at writing a mystery, I by chance came across her series at Amazon and gave it a shot. Very glad I did. Anne passed away in 2001, but her eight or so cozies are, IMO, first-rate. Funny thing, while my mystery series isn’t a cozy by any means, I devoured many cozies before delving into “darker” mysteries. Here’s the URL for Ms. George’s Amazon listing:
    Hope this helps! 🙂
    –Michael

November 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Hi. I haven’t but will check out the link and add her first to my TBR. I do like the southern theme. Thanks.

Tea and Tales1 said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I’m in the same spot as you! I think I need a good thriller to offset all of the coziness! You’ve done the Joanna Fluke series, right?

November 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Half Way with Fluke. I have the rest coming as Christmas presents this year. I asked for missing books from a few series from anyone who asked me.

Tea and Tales1 said:
        November 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM

I give my mother one of Fluke’s every Christmas. She lives up there in that frozen tundra of the North.

November 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Sounds like a great place to visit!!!

Tea and Tales1 said:
        November 5, 2017 at 7:18 PM

It’s not. I went to North Dakota State and crammed 4 years into 3 just to get out of the state! My uncle taught there so he paid and I learned and left.

November 5, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Smart move!

November 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM

And very sweet of you!

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Jay, I should add that Anne George was an Agatha Award winner. Also, a book of poetry she penned was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. She also wrote a literary novel which focuses on an imperfect southern family.

b0rn_2_read said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Do try A Charmed pie shoppe mystery and cupcake bakery mystery

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Wish there was a love button for this post but then again, I may be a bit biased.

AJ said:
    November 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I have read a lot of cosy mysteries because once I read one in a series, I have to read them all!! I loved Murder She Wrote and want to tour Mendocino California where it was filmed. I’ll blame my love of cosies on that:)

Atwood Cutting said:
    November 5, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Sorry, friend(s). I wish I found reading cozy mysteries, or reading at all, the answer to a rainy afternoon. My pass-time involves creating something. I can’t help it. Sometimes I feel like a conduit of expression. But I have discovered that I can listen to an audiobook and work on an art project at the same time. My husband and I listen to one tape every morning, and it’s our special time, so that’s nice. He adores Lee Child and Robert Crais. I love Jeffrey Archer and Lawrence Block’s John Keller, hit man, series, but I don’t care for mysteries that are solved by the cat knocking over a book, etc.
    I now have “Watching Glass Shatter” cued up on my desktop Kindle app…

November 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM

I understand! I hope your Sunday is going well. Just finished a book and plan to start another. Possibly after a quick nap if I can try!

Cozynookbks said:
    November 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Funny you should mention it. I am posting a *Top Pick* cozy mystery on my blog tomorrow. I just finished reading it a few days ago (or rather, listening to it), and I loved, loved, loved it!! I think you would too. The female protagonist is slightly older than the usual at 37. It had so many wonderful elements to it and two great mysteries.

I enjoy Maddie Day’s country store mysteries series. There are so many others, but since that’s a favorite that came to mind, I’m recommending that one. I really loved book 3 (or 4??), When The Grits Hit The Fan.

November 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I’ve seen that series before. I can’t remember if I read anything yet. Have to look at the titles. I look forward to your post!!

November 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM

I used to prefer hardcore mystery to cozy-mystery, but since I read Joanne Fluke, I think I get to like cozy mystery,too. I want to take more time to dabble in this genre. Any recommendations? lol

November 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Tons! We should chat about the types of things you like to read about, e.g. pets, cooking, ghosts, witches, etc. There are so many themes to consider!

November 5, 2017 at 4:52 PM

Omg. Yes, I totally forgot about that… the sub genres… I need to figure out what I really like to read about then! lol

November 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM

I’ve got about 75 reviews for cozies on here, good luck! 🙂 lol

November 5, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Yup, I definitely need that! lol thanks!

November 5, 2017 at 10:30 PM

Oh good- I’m almost old enough to be the heroine in a cozy mystery. I love the Laura Childs tea shop mysteries. I know you are shocked. I also used to like the Aunt Dimity ones.

nicolechinnici said:
    November 5, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Ahh!!! You picked two of my all time favorite books for your list – And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express! I’ll definitely have to check out the others now 🤗

November 6, 2017 at 4:14 AM

there’s nothing better than a good mystery! 🙂
    we talked about harlan coben. but what about karin slaughter. have you read something by her?
    AND HELL YEAH TO THE MYSTERY IN 2019!!!!!!

anne leueen said:
    November 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM

I’m not a mystery reader but my husband is. His favourite is Henning Mankell. He says this is in the detective mystery genre or Scandinavian Noir!

November 6, 2017 at 9:04 AM

That is a new one for me, thank you for sharing. I will look that up on Goodreads this week.

carhicks said:
    November 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM

As you know, I really like cozy mysteries, for many of the reasons you listed. I also like to read them as a break between thrillers or dramas.I really enjoy The Caprice DuLuca series by Karen Rose Smith and the Country Club Mysteries by Julie Mulhern (they take place in the 70s). There are so many I like though and you have had some good suggestions in the comments so far. Good luck picking where to go next.

[…] on my blog, I’m discussing my 5 favorite book genres as part of the 365 Daily Challenge( link here). Maybe we could link this question to those posts so everyone can […]

November 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM

I checked out a cozy mystery today to get me through the end of the semester.