365 Challenge: Day 242 – Cringe

Cringe: what happens when you start getting text message from your mother as she’s reading your book and about to reach that section

cringe

Today’s post is a collection of video graphics (sorry A, I know these aren’t your favorite, but they are so apropos for a few things that happened last night). As I mentioned previously, my mom has been holding off reading my debut novel because she wanted the physical copy. I ordered it and finally gave it to her this week when she came by for lunch. I might have had a few heart attacks but not for the reason you think. I can take the criticism, we have a good relationship; however, a few things suddenly came flying at me from every angle possible. Yes, if you haven’t read the book, the true danger of some of these items might not make as big of an impression, but if you read it, I know you’re with me on this one. I’m NOT getting Christmas presents this year, I just know it.

• What if she asks “Is Olivia based on me?”
    • No, definitely not. And that’s the truth. Well, maybe only the good parts.
    • I do not have any siblings, nor do I come from an upper class Connecticut family, so there really can’t be any resemblances.

• What happens when she gets to the part where Olivia ‘walks in’ on her son, Caleb?
    • Seriously, I don’t want to have to explain any of this to my mother. I’m gonna die tonight, I just know it.
    • No, my mother has never walked in on me in any way, shape or form.

• How do I explain that love scene between two characters? I named a few body parts… that’s gonna be awkward!
    • No, Mom. I had someone ghost write that section for me. I never read it either. I’m quiet, innocent and shy. I don’t even know what ‘that word’ means!
    • OK, so can someone kidnap me this afternoon before she reads anymore?

I wish I could share more, but I can’t without revealing any of the secrets or scenes that might cause someone to cringe in the book… so I’m left with only one response:

You’ll have to read it to know what I mean!

NOTE: My mother does not read my blog nor have any social media accounts. A few of my family members, however, do have access to these posts. I live in fear, cringing right now, at which one of you is going to share this post with her. I will get revenge; you’ll be tortured in my next novel…

90 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 242 – Cringe

delphini510 said:
    November 9, 2017 at 6:36 AM

Well, you knew it….didn’t write with blind eyes.😊 . So no X-mas presents from your mother; maybe😉 . Good luck. 🦋

November 9, 2017 at 7:01 AM

OMG this post is perfect on so many levels. First off- I feel your angst and anxiety! I get exactly where you are coming from. Secondly, if my novel ever gets published I am so not telling my Mother because I will never be able to face her again! You just confirmed all my fears. lastly- cringe in one of my husbands favorite words when we are watching tv and he knows someone is about to do something totally stupid/awkward

November 9, 2017 at 7:18 AM

I will have stories to share soon. I know she’s calling this morning. Help! LOL it is quite a scary feeling. :). Cringe is the right word. Poor husband!

November 9, 2017 at 7:29 AM

oh, i can imagine how you feel! but also keep in mind, that this is fiction. and you’re mom sure knows that too. i get your weird feeling, but instead of cringing, just be proud of yourself. you have read all those wonderful reviews. people love these characters and your novel. be happy about that. show that you are proud! and you’re mom will also be proud of you. no matter what! 🙂

Cozynookbks said:
    November 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM

LOL. Must feel awkward. But don’t worry, she’ll get over it. She’s your mom. ( :
    So….what are these scenes you’re referring to? Hmm…

November 9, 2017 at 7:57 AM

I can’t reveal… only to say… there are a few small physically intimate scenes between couples, a moment where a parent and child don’t ever want to run into one another and a teenager’s memory that we’ve all had. Definitely awkward.

Cozynookbks said:
        November 9, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Cracking up!! Okay, I guess I’ll find out next month. Hope it’s not too much for somewhat conservative me. LOL.

November 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Um… it’s done in humor, so not to be dirty… more embarrassing moments that offer some light fun compared to the more emotional parts. It’s hard not to give it away, but there are many extremes in the book that carry emotions back and forth. 🙂

Cozynookbks said:
        November 9, 2017 at 8:13 AM

Thank you!!

November 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM

This is delightful! I have to admit, I am enjoying this…it is my dark side! 😉😉😉

Cammie Adams said:
    November 9, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Hahaha! Yes, I’m laughing. Too hard not to. But don’t worry, she’ll love you through it and probably be your biggest fan.

November 9, 2017 at 8:03 AM

True. It brings back memories when I first let anyone read those scenes — ahem, you — and I was like… what will she think of me! It’s ten times worse now that it’s my mom, but wow. Laugh all you want, it’s ok!

Cammie Adams said:
        November 9, 2017 at 8:07 AM

You’re worried over nothing. You handled those scenes beautifully and brilliantly, she’ll see that too.

November 9, 2017 at 8:14 AM

xoxo

November 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! This is probably my favorite post from you – I enjoyed and laughed out loud A LOT!! Sorry, Jay, but I need to be honest, this post literally cracked me up and honestly, I want some more juicy details! Hehehehehe

November 9, 2017 at 8:03 AM

So NOT fair. You can laugh, but where’s the support. I woke up last night thinking about the scene in Caleb’s bedroom where he was a teenager and went…. “oh she read that!!!!”

November 9, 2017 at 8:07 AM

OH, THAT!! Holy crap. I can only imagine how disturbed you must have been… so sorry (doesn’t sound particularly genuine though) about that! That said though, as Roda put it, I’d love to be a fly on the wall so that i could listen to your convo with your mom AND back you up when necessary 😛

November 9, 2017 at 8:13 AM

Thank you. I will take your support. 🙂 Even if Roda would throw me to the wolves…

November 9, 2017 at 8:18 AM

Nah, Roda would never throw you to the wolves! But see? You were worried if you got to survive the night, but you did. Now I don’t have to worry about the occasional visit by the ghost of yours…

November 9, 2017 at 8:24 AM

hahhaha, touche!

November 9, 2017 at 8:27 AM

😛

Patty said:
    November 9, 2017 at 8:06 AM

You crack me up! I love this post! I bet you get coal for Christmas. 😉 Maybe a intervention. Good luck. But in all honesty those moments were really on the innocent side compared to what it could have been. I am sure you will be fine since she will be crying most of the way through with the other things in the book.

theGracetyle said:
    November 9, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Hahaha I’m sorry but I laughed so hard reading this post because I can relate so much! I cringed so hard just last night because I was showing my mom photos of a recent trip that I went to and I told her specifically to swipe to the RIGHT but of course she swiped to the left and saw a photo that I did not want her to see (it was just a selfie of me and my friends but still…) I cringed so hard 😣 I wonder why some things are just so awkward to share with your parents haha

November 9, 2017 at 8:25 AM

Oh, I’m sorry! It must be what “we” think they will be “thinking” but in the future, we might think the same with our own kids (for those who have them), so in the end, we probably shouldn’t worry! LOL

November 9, 2017 at 8:58 AM

I’m still getting a laugh out of this. I agree that you handled those particular scenes well and you should be very proud of what you accomplished. I am sure your mom will see that and be proud of you to. However I still would love to be a fly on the wall with Roda and Noriko so I could hear that conversation!!😂

November 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Oh you’re all against me! LOL I will probably call my mom this afternoon to see what happens! Thank you. 🙂

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    November 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM

This post is so accurate to how I feel about my mom reading my work! I’m always on edge anytime I know she’s getting to “that scene.” It’s simply horrifying!

November 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Yes! I’m glad you made it thru… must get easier as you go!

November 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM

LOL poor Jay! If it will make you feel any better, I walked in on my parents once (as an adult so I knew what they were doing) and my daughter saw my husband and I once and proceeded to tell the neighborhood kid that she saw her mom and dad “wrestling on the floor,” which prompted a visit from the neighbor’s father telling us we might want to be a bit more careful. Just a couple of weeks ago I asked our adult son to come and help me connect the DVD player to the TV and he checked it to make sure it was working but I had forgotten to check to see if there was anything in the player and one of “those” movies was still in it. I’m sure your mom knows you had to do RESEARCH for your book so you don’t personally know those things, you just read about them 🙂 Great post again!

November 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Oh my! What a great group of stories. It’s so hard to think about, but once you’ve been thru it (a few times) it must get easier. I love your attitude and approach over it all. Humor and acceptance make it all the better. Thx for sharing!

Kiersten said:
    November 9, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Bwahahaha. This post cracked me up. I can’t even imagine how awkward it would be if I was in your place right now. (Hopefully someday I’ll find out when I finish writing my own book.)

At least you didn’t write 50 Shades of Grey, or something equally as embarrassing. 😉

November 9, 2017 at 11:18 AM

That would be under a pen name! So true. I look forward to seeing when you finish that book!

Rhonda said:
    November 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Having just found you and Cringe being my maiden voyage…I must say I’m hooked. This is very funny and so true to life. Not that I would know or anything. However…(over time you’ll get used to my use of the … I much prefer it over the , ) I’m going to assume you do not have children yet. Correct? Alrighty then…let me say your Mother will not only be thrilled, she’ll laugh and cry and cringe and and blush and burst with pride when she reads it (if not already). How you came upon the knowledge won’t even enter her mind (well, not seriously anyway). That’s just how us Mums are.

November 9, 2017 at 1:14 PM

I do not yet, but perhaps in the future.

I appreciate the heads up and advice. I will keep you posted, too. It sounds like you are quite a good mom (assuming you have children).

Thank you so much for checking out the site. You did stop by on a fun quirky post day. And in the middle of the blog tour, to it’s particularly busy. I love the ellipsis too!

Rhonda said:
        November 9, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Yes, two grown men call me Mom 🙂 And I happened to have another thought after my comment…because I am just such a Mom…yours may even have some advice for your next ‘that scene’!! You never know 😉

November 9, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I think my ears just sewed themselves shut. 😛

They are lucky!

Rhonda said:
        November 9, 2017 at 1:19 PM

hahahaha…funny man

November 9, 2017 at 1:20 PM

And I meant your sons are lucky. Not my ears.

Rhonda said:
        November 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Rolling….can we ever really know if our ears are lucKy? And thank you, I believe (I meant to say they believe) they are lucky too 😉

Mintly said:
    November 9, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Hahahahaha. Jay, this post brighten up my day. I did cringe whenever my mom like any of my Facebook post. I keep my WordPress in secret. Lol.

Mintly said:
    November 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Good luck for your book tour “marathon”

AJ said:
    November 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM

LOL I feel your pain! You may have to forget all those nice gifts your mom usually brings you until she forgets about what she has read:) I think it’s just natural that we keep this innocent image for our parents- there are just some things they shouldn’t know.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    November 9, 2017 at 1:45 PM

hahaha man I relate to this, but I’m sure it’ll be ok!!

November 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Yes! Someone has probably seen what you’ve written too! How do you deal.?!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
        November 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM

hehe well some people are cooler than others, but if they do get uncomfortable, they’ll usually not mention that bit- so don’t sweat it! It won’t be as bad as you think!

misifusa said:
    November 9, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Oh my! I read this post on my phone today and then was stymied because I couldn’t immediately write a comment (phone issues, not blog issues) and I have to tell you I was giggling….sorry. I couldn’t help myself because I get it. I hope you will share what Mom says…hopefully she’s cool about it. Either way, your book is awesome and I’ve told the world (as you well know) and just stand tall – it’s great and she can skip some pages if she needs to skip ‘those parts’. Just be happy you are an only child otherwise there would be a pack of them with something to say about what you wrote about them! LOL I loved Olivia by the way. Based on your mom or not! Classy lady 🙂

November 9, 2017 at 5:08 PM

quite true about the brothers. The teasing that happened in the would be nothing compared to what would happen to me in reality! Glad to give you a giggle!

November 9, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Jay I laughed so hard when you messaged me last night to tell me about this. The biggest reason being my Mum keeps asking to read my book, I mean can you imagine?! So not happening! I knew exactly how you felt, all cringey and OMG! If my Mum ever gets her hands on my book(s) I may have to crawl under a rock and die. 😂

November 9, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Yikes, you have more in yours to worry about than me. As awesome as yours is, our moms cannot read it !:)

November 10, 2017 at 3:21 AM

Haha I know! Mums and books don’t mix! Maybe we create edited Mom versions! 😂

November 10, 2017 at 7:52 AM

perfect

theloyalbritwit said:
    November 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM

why are moms, but also family members in general, bring about so much cringe-worthy and embarrassment to us mere writing mortals?! Hahaha there’s much to connect with in this post!

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    November 9, 2017 at 5:26 PM

Haha sounds like she is getting to know a new side of you. The quiet one that everyone has and that is seldom discussed with parents. Good luck 😉

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Hahahaha. The good thing is that moms always forgive… most times… usually…
    I’m sure you’ll be fine; and there’s always next Christmas for presents anyway 🙂

November 12, 2017 at 2:35 AM

It has to be an uncomfortable feeling, but moms are something special and I just know she’s going to love the book. The book is great and you should feel so proud, author! 💕👍

carhicks said:
    November 15, 2017 at 8:25 AM

Love this. I always worried when my mom heard me telling racy jokes when i was younger.

November 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM

I HAVE read the book, and crap, every author gets asked “that question” by at least one family member.