365 Challenge: Day 249 – Shop

Shop: what I’m doing with my mother today in preparation for the holidays

shop.jpg

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is ‘shop’ because I need a quick word as I will be busy later. I’m heading out to Long Island on a train shortly to grocery shop with my mom in preparation for Thanksgiving. My parents, cousins and friends will be coming to my place in the city for Thanksgiving next week, so we need to pickup all the trimmings in advance. Since the price for all the food we need is probably less than 50% of the cost of what I’d pay in the city, my mother insisted I go shopping in the suburbs with her. {AsideYou can imagine our ‘discussions’ over the prices of things she sees in my kitchen cabinets or refrigerator!} So… I’m commuting 3-hours back and forth to get everything we need, then bring back in just the items I need to start the turkey and the stuffing early Thanksgiving morning. If you see anyone in NYC tomorrow, on a train or subway, carrying large bags with a turkey and other food, many miles and blocks, it’s me!

I also need to start thinking about shopping for holiday presents. I no longer like doing it because everyone buys what they want when they want it. I’d rather just spend quality time together, but that’s me. I do like gifts, but they’re hard these days. Mom and I will probably go to the book store so I can pick out some books I want, which will be good gifts my parents can get for me. No complaints there! I know three things for my parents, but I need to confirm my dad isn’t also trying to buy them. I also need to start shopping for a wireless repeater for my bedroom as I have no WiFi service on that side of the apartment. I spend too much time in bed early in the morning or late at night trying to get my phone to connect to the internet, struggling against the cellular waves… ugh, silly problems…

But that’s my day today. Oh and mom finished reading my book. I’m likely to hear all about it today. Please say a prayer for that conversation!!! Otherwise, it’s all about the need to shop. Then it will be time to shop for a Christmas tree and a short holiday getaway for New Year’s. Where’s everyone going this year? Let’s share some ideas!

44 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 249 – Shop

November 16, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Your day sounds like so much fun! Hug your mom and make sure you tell her how much you love her! She has probably been looking forward to her special day, shopping with you, all week! I will let you know if I see photos on the news of a famous author walking a turkey down the streets of NY! 💚😉

November 16, 2017 at 7:22 AM

oh boy. i hate shopping groceries. and you have to travel so long? i would freak! 😀
    but i do love the christmas time. i love shopping chistmas presents because i love to give my loved ones something that made me think of them. i am almost done with all my christmas shopping this year, so that’s a first 😀 already listening to christmas music because i am in the mood! 😀
    good luck on you shopping and maybe you’ll share what your mom thought of your book? i am very curious! 😀

November 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Yes. But it’s mom so I will! 1 hour train. 30 minutes subway. Yay to you on shopping already. Want to help with mine? I will share soon what mom thought!!

November 16, 2017 at 10:52 AM

i hope you have a good book on you! 🤗
        sure i can help 😜 excited what your mom said!

Kiersten said:
    November 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM

I’m not big on shopping in general, unless it’s for books. This time of year I try to avoid shopping like the plague. The stores get so busy and crazy! It stresses me out. (I’m a girl, I’m supposed to like shopping, aren’t I? lol)

I hope you guys have a fun time! What books are you going to get!?

November 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM

No one should like shopping. Lol! But I get your point!!! Lol

I have about 30 books I want to read ASAP. I will share some later! Curious what is at the Barnes and noble today!

November 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Sounds like you’re going to have a fun day spending time with your mom!! I haven’t even started buying presents for Christmas and honestly I will probably be still trying to buy stuff at the last minute. I am hoping jay me and hubby can spend Christmas in Tennessee with my family this year. I haven’t been able to do that in year but I know he will wait until the last possible minute to tell me if we are. If we do I will have 3-5 kids to buy for depending on who all will be there.

November 16, 2017 at 10:20 AM

That’s a lot to buy. Good luck. Tennessee sounds like a fun Christmas. More pigeon forge? 🙂

November 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Yes it is especially when you have no clue what to get everybody lol. My family lives about an hour or so from Pigeon Forge. I doubt we would be going there but you never know.

Patty said:
    November 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Fingers crossed and good luck. 😉 Have a wonderful day with your mom.

Letitgocoach said:
    November 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Your day sounds magical. I love what you said here, “I no longer like doing it because everyone buys what they want when they want. I’d rather just spend quality time together, but that’s me.” Me too!!! xx

November 16, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Oh, what fun! I hope you enjoy some time with your mom and I can’t wait to hear what her thoughts are on the book. Hoping all good ones!

We are staying home and starting the morning watching the parades and will eat in the afternoon. We usually spend Thanksgiving and Friday putting up Christmas decorations. Cannot wait! So excited! Have a wonderful time, J. ❤

November 16, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Me too. I will share them soon. Watching the parade is great. When do you put the tree up? Real or fake?

November 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM

It’s an artificial tree, but eventually, I’d like to do a real tree. I grew up with real trees in my grandmother’s house and miss it! My brother still does a real tree every year and I admire that. We always have the tree up before Thanksgiving, but I think we may do it on Thanksgiving or the day after this year. ❤ I hope to share pics and can't wait to see yours! 🙂

November 16, 2017 at 1:15 PM

I grew up with artificial so now I use real all the time!!! Can’t wait to see yours.

November 16, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Btw, messaged you through GR. ❤

November 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Just saw. Will respond tomorrow. No worries!

November 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Feel better. 😦

tylerus said:
    November 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Sounds like a pleasant way to spend time with Mom. 🙂 I concur re gift buying – long not my cup of tea. Spending time together over a cup of eggnog or glass of wine (or club soda), sharing tales, is much preferred.

November 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM

My mom is 94 and she is coming to our house for Thanksgiving as well. Fortunately she doesn’t live so far away and doesn’t care what kind of turkey, etc., I get. Unfortunately, I have to WORK ON THANKSGIVING so we will be having a very early dinner. Not used to this retail life yet. Have a fun shopping trip! I haven’t even given Christmas gifts a thought.

November 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM

That’s right. You will have to work with new job. Sorry! Great that you are having Mom over!!

AJ said:
    November 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM

My family quit doing gifts about ten years ago. If you’re too young to drive to the mall to buy what you want- you get a gift. I had a tough time at the beginning, but now love it as I have the time to do all the cool holiday things with the kids such as gingerbread house building, light looking, etc and I’m not in debt in January!

November 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Oh how I hate the conversations about the cost of food in the city. Someone asked h I shop, at whole foods as its expensive, and I was like, um… hello… everything is expensive here. Can’t wait to hear what she thought of book!!

Martie said:
    November 16, 2017 at 5:14 PM

What are you going to do when the year is up? 😉

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Ugh I don’t miss my days of lugging overflowing bags of groceries on packed trains. But other than that part your holiday plans sound lovely. Quality family time.

anne leueen said:
    November 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM

We do not have definite plans yet for Christmas. My daughter and grandson and her fiancé will either have the Christmas meal at their house ( about two hours from us) or they will come to us for the meal. Then two days after Christmas we will start the drive down the I75 to Florida. My horse, Biasini , is leaving here on the 19th . He goes in a big air ride transport. He will settle in there and the people there know him already. No doubt he will be posting a blog about it. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Flexi Aquilla said:
    November 17, 2017 at 12:39 AM

Hi there! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can check it out here. https://flexireads.com/2017/11/17/liebster-award/ Looking forward to your answers! ☺

November 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM

My “Holiday Season” started last week with a gift in the mail and a pop up card for my birthday. On Wednesday (the 15th) I received two handmade gifts from the “Boots and Barbells” girls (now established as “real” bloggers” after receiving 20% of their course grade for their creation of the blog and their five posts). The girls are both juniors at the university and are taking Advanced Writing.The two girls are best friends, both human performers and physical fitness majors, excellent writers, and creative with their innovative gifts.I have done my shopping for Thanksgiving, taking advantage of the sales, and am ready to cook creatively (“doctoring” the recipe). I also shopped for hosting my AAUW November meeting here at the house where we will assemble toiletries bags for the Women’s Shelter, have a business meeting, and plan a February luncheon we are hosting for two other women’s organizations here in town, a tradition since 1965 or so. We host every three years with the other two groups taking their turns. We will spend Turkey Day in Lake Jackson, TX with our “grandson’s” family. Even though all I have to make is a pumpkin pie (The Libby’s pumpkin label recipe, of course) and sweet potato casserole which I plan to top with praline pecan topping and miniature marshmallows; I hope it turns out as good as it sounds. Friday will not bring Black Friday shopping but will provide a make-up, catch-up schoolwork day in preparation for the “final push.” Then I have a month off for Christmas, starting a new semester the day after MLK day. I am thinking of taking from Thanksgiving Day until New Year’s day off from blogging (and maybe even reading and commenting on blogs) as a break. Thoughts?

November 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM

You are going to be busy, but much of it sounds so much fun. Blogging is a rewarding and fun part of my day. I’m sure it is for you, too, but it also takes up a lot of time and keeps us from interacting in person with others. I think it’s a good idea to take a break every so often. I’d miss you… but we could email instead. That’s about 5 to 6 weeks, so you could really relax and enjoy family and friends during the holidays.

What time should I arrive for all those meals?