365 Challenge: Day 252 – Contemporary (LIST: Fiction Genres )

Contemporary: creates imaginary characters and situations that depict our world
and society, focusing on themes of growing up and confronting personal and social problems. This genre
portrays characters coming to understand themselves and others.

fic.jpg

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I will pick a favorite book genre and discuss all the reasons why I love it. In our fourth week, it’s all about contemporary fiction which has a few different names and can often be confused with other similar genres. Let’s first chat about why I adore this genre:

• Henry James was once my favorite author; now he’s 1 of 5 favorites. He wrote realistic fiction which is very much a prelude to contemporary fiction.
  • I love dissecting reality and understanding what’s happening all around us.
  • Domestic and family dramas are my ultimate favorite sub-genre. Maybe that’s why I write in this particular one!
  • It usually takes place in the current time that the author is writing, give or take a few years.
  • It’s often about problems or issues we face daily, giving us alternative thoughts or opinions.
  • We can relate to the character and see ourselves or people we know in them.
  • It gives you a chance to see different parts of life and society happening around you, but perhaps not close enough to see it, e.g. different parts of the world or society

Sorting books into genres as been a bit confusing for me. I’ll fully admit it, but at the same time, everyone or every book reviewer/rater or publisher can be subjective about it. They often compare literary versus contemporary fiction, trying to sort a book or an author into one or the other category. Perhaps I don’t have enough knowledge or information to speak intelligently about the topic, but I tend to look at literary fiction as the author trying to make a statement while contemporary is more about a casual read. It’s not the perfect definition, but under that notion, couldn’t it be both? Then there’s the concepts of adult versus realistic fiction. If it’s adult, is that supposed to distinguish it from children’s or young adult books? Or does it mean it’s mean for a regular adult to read? All that said, I just sort of blur the boundaries in this area for my own definition for contemporary fiction:

Books about adults set in current times (when the author wrote it) talking about normal things that happen in life. It shouldn’t be other genre-specific, e.g. fantasy, science fiction, romance, historical, mystery, thriller or suspense. It can have those elements on a small scale, but not the primary driver. If it’s none of those, still fiction, and not meant for younger adults and kids, then it must be contemporary fiction.

Hopefully you find my humorous attempt just that, but I do welcome anyone else’s opinion on how to break the genres into fair groups, as well as anyone who works in the industry with a legitimate definition most people agree to!

What are some of my favorite reads from 2017?

What’s next on my list in this genre to read in 2017?

How about you? Any favorites or recommendations? Do you not like this genre? Time to share!

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

42 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 252 – Contemporary (LIST: Fiction Genres )

shalini said:
    November 19, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Jay, how’s the Sally hepworth’s book. I seem to have lost my reading mojo and I have a strange feeling that I am set adrift… So trying different genres so that something hooks me in

November 19, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Sorry you’re in a book funk. I reviewed Hepworth earlier this year. I enjoyed it. A few character flaws. Emotional. Main characters makes some bad decisions but you try hard to figure it out. A few odd twists. All in all it is a good read. But you will have a few issues with it probably in the same areas I did. Worthy a read but not gonna totally pull you from bad book mojo yet. Good start tho.

shalini said:
    November 19, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Loved your video in one of the posts. I have bookmarked it. I could see the video mute as I am amongst family. Will hear it when alone. Well you look great… 💗💗

November 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Xoxo. Thank you!

shalini said:
        November 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM

What a great video Jay you are so cute and you look good blushing… Get used to more such public appearances… Babes you are hot and happening 😉💓💓

November 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Shh. Can’t take it! Lol. :). Thank you.

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    November 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM

{It gives you a chance to see different parts of life and society happening around you, but perhaps not close enough to see it, e.g. different parts of the world or society}
    Jay, regarding the above, you might want to check out my novel, The Private War of Corporal Henson. 🙂
    –Michael

November 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Perhaps that is the one I shall read before your author alert in January! Thank you.

Viola Bleu said:
      January 6, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Damn, now I’m intrigued by your book too!!

January 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM

I’m reading Michael’s in 3 to 4 weeks… looking forward to it. I am sure it will be good! He’s been so kind on my book launch, too.

Viola Bleu said:
        January 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Fabulous!!
        Congratulations 🥂

November 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM

I dont read a huge amount of contemporary fiction but as you know I love Amanda Prowse and try and make time for her always.

November 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Yes! She’s great. Somehow this comment got put in spam. I just found it today. 🙂

November 19, 2017 at 8:03 PM

Great picks!! I’ve seen a lot of Commonwealth and if you love that book, it must be a good read!
    Thank you for such great recommendations!

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 19, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Goodness Jay, you are so well organized! Another interesting read today. Thanks.

AJ said:
    November 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Your next books sound really good!

anne leueen said:
    November 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM

One of my favs is contemporary and fiction but the book is out now for a few years. The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson. Not a light read but worth it.

November 20, 2017 at 7:15 AM

I will look that up in the coming weeks, I appreciate it. Once 2018 starts, I am open on adding new books.

misifusa said:
    November 20, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I love your list days and especially today’s post as I will jot down some of these books to put on my kindle to read during the quiet snowy days. Thanks Jay!

November 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM

Isn’t that one of the best times? A snowy day reading… very glad to help!

misifusa said:
        November 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Thank you! 🙂 I love snowy days filled with reading!

November 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM

ooooh i really want to read „beartown“ or anything by fredrick backman since i have read „a man called ove“ 😍

November 20, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Beartown is such an amazing book, one of my favorites this year, although it also made me the angriest I’ve ever been at a book (for good reasons)

November 21, 2017 at 2:19 AM

OMG that sounds so good! i love emotional reads!

November 21, 2017 at 6:55 AM

It’s a harsh topic, and the whole concept of sports in high school is a raw nerve for me, but then where they go with it…. oh, I just can’t! I will say I did not like the last chapter/ending, otherwise it was a nearly perfect book

November 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM

that sounds very promising! i will definitely read it! i just want to read his other books first! 🤗

Run Wright said:
    November 20, 2017 at 9:31 PM

I also read and enjoyed Commonwealth this year. I loved the way the author used time to make the characters seem unaffected by the ravages of passing years. There are lots of passages in that book that I really liked.

November 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM

I was iffy about commonwealth…..I felt like it was lacking something…

November 27, 2017 at 12:55 PM

LOVED Commonwealth! Am listening to Bear Town as of this weekend and thoroughly enjoying it. Good writing. Don’t worry; it is unabridged. Thanks for recommending it to me on your blog.

Kristin said:
    November 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM

I’m not crazy about contemporary fic but I’ve read a few this year that I liked! I really like it if paired with a dual timeline.

November 30, 2017 at 6:31 PM

That’s my second book – dual time line! 🙂

Kristin said:
        November 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM

I still need to read your first! Like I said though, I’m drowning a bit. I have to get back ahead!

November 30, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Totally understand!!

November Book Haul – Diary of a Bookfiend said:
    December 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM

[…] had been on my radar for quite some time but Jay’s post gave me the final push – his post reminded me of this book which I had totally forgotten […]

My life in Books (It’s My Birthday!) | Naty's Bookshelf said:
    December 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM

[…] Bookworm / Coffee Loving Bookoholic / Diary of a Bookfiend / Birdie Bookworm / This is My Truth Now / The Cursed Books / Darque Dreamer / MNBernard Books / A Page of Jenniely / Never not […]

Viola Bleu said:
    January 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM

This the first post I have ever read from your goodself … and it sounds like you have made some executive decisions about your goals to post and read.
    It’s always inspiring to hear when people have decided to change something for the better.
    I’ve changed loads this year, ooops I mean 2017. And 2018 is for maintaining my changes and moving ever forward .. I’m going to write a lot more!

January 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM

It’s great to meet you. Ha! Changed in 2018 already, huh? Great progress. 😛 It feels like it will be a good year. what do you write?

Viola Bleu said:
        January 6, 2018 at 3:46 PM

A variety if I’m honest..
        contemporary fiction, with twists; womens? Not sure… I’m not really into cottage roses. (Although roses around a cottage door, I prefer reading thrillers)