365 Challenge: Day 259 – Young Adult (LIST: Fiction Genres)

Young Adult: literature generally meant for teenagers through early twenties, though some feel it ends at nineteen

young adult

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose a favorite book genre and discussed all the reasons why I love it. In our fifth and final week, it’s all about young adult fiction. Let’s first chat about why I adore this genre:

• There’s usually a moral, which often can be extrapolated to cover general life lessons.
  • I enjoy it more if there’s a small element of science-fiction or fantasy, nothing too big, but enough to make it different from a normal read.
  • The characters are usually going through something we’ve all been through before, though not always; however, when it is something, we can compare how we handled the situation.
  • There’s often an innocence or thirst for knowledge which is admirable and easy to connect with.
  • I miss my youth? Ha!
  • The story tends to be a bit more simple, but has great depth in the characters.

While young adult isn’t my top two or three favorites, it is a bit of a favorite. I like to read one every 5 or 6 books to keep myself immersed in a wide range of plot and setting. I have found a few authors I like, and at times, these are often turned into TV shows or movies I’ve found appealing.

What are some of my favorite reads from the last few years?

What’s next on my list in this genre to read in 2017/2018?

How about you? Any favorites or recommendations? Do you not like this genre? Time to share!

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

23 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 259 – Young Adult (LIST: Fiction Genres)

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    November 26, 2017 at 9:24 AM

I enjoy reading young adult books as they keep me in the mindset for writing. I write young adult books. My favorites are already on your list, but The Book Thief is a great book!

November 26, 2017 at 11:18 AM

I will need to look more at your books in 2018. I’m clearing a few ARCs off my plate, but perhaps you’d be up for an author alert after the new year.

November 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Loved reading this. I LOVE reading YA and I’m not sure it’s something that will ever change. I would recommend The Fault in Our Stars, The Hatchet (love Gary Paulsen), Lord of the Flies, and so many more! I just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone for the second time. Can’t wait for the next one now. ❤ Have a great Sunday!

November 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM

I did read Lord of the Flies when I was a teenager and wasn’t too fond of it, but I would like to read it again. I just finished ACOTAR yesterday and am writing the review now. WOW, so good. 🙂 I also want to try a John Green novel… so many!!!

theloyalbritwit said:
    November 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM

I never got into CS Lewis, though it’s on my list! I grew up with Harry Potter and LOVE IT! 😍 I devoured the Hunger Games, too. I have read the first of the Lightning Thief, but shamefully never completed the series. I would like to go back to visit that one. I recently bought The Book Thief and eagerly plot time to read it. I’m not familiar with your others, but do wish to check those out!

Also, perhaps it’s because I’m not really far off in age from YA but I love this genre. I think there are some books within this branch that go beyond the “age appropriateness” of it, like HP or the Hunger Games. Did you know Hunger Games is written at a fourth grade level? But it’s content is much, much darker. Harry Potter gets that way too as one goes up in the series. But this genre will always hold a special appeal to me. And now that I’m done with my ramble, I’ll say cheers! 😆😁

Beware Of The Reader said:
    November 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM

I love Ya but like you I switch genres as to not being bored out. My recommendations would be The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas this year and I have a fondness for Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel (it just did it for me) or the Dark Artifices series by Cassandra Clare.

November 26, 2017 at 1:53 PM

I forget about young adult, thinking that I am too old for them and that it will be too simple a read. I can see that may not be true. I have yet to finish the Harry Potter series, although I have all of them and I liked the Hunger games movies so I guess I need to add more of them to my TBR list. Thanks for reminding me!

November 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM

You’re welcome. Some YA is too basic, but there are books with great complexity and challenge. There are a few worthy of a read. Good luck with the rest of HG and HP!

November 26, 2017 at 4:02 PM

I pretty much ditched young adult from my rotation about a year ago there was too much about it that annoyed me the same overused annoying tropes being the key ones. Two I have read this year which were outstanding were Caraval by Stephanie Garber and Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, both were original and avoided most of the tropes that wind me up.

November 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM

I’ve heard good things about both. Perhaps I need to incorporate 1 into the book bucket list.

November 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Caraval is the easier read and less full on fantasy of the two if you are going to do that. 😉

November 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM

I would say YA is one of my favorite genres. I looove the emotional impact they have on me. (and you know how much I love having my heart ripped open lol). I attribute it to the generally vulnerable emotional status that comes with adolescence? It’s surprising to see how diverse YA books have become in terms of its themes… mental illness, LGBT, so many more. I love them 🙂

Kiersten said:
    November 26, 2017 at 9:00 PM

I love the YA genre. I don’t care if I’m too old for it. I admit that there can be a lot of “cheese factor” in some YA books, but there are also some really amazing reads out there. You just have to weed through it all. Some of my favorite books of all time are YA books. AND I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT.

theabominablebookgirl said:
    November 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Read Illuminae!

November 27, 2017 at 7:44 AM

I’ve heard good things about it, I need to look it up to see how long. Perhaps this should go on the book bucket list in place of whatever is chosen for December.

November 27, 2017 at 4:22 AM

you have some great favorites there! 🙂 since i read a lot of young adult, i can’t give you recommendations because that would take until christmas hahaha 😀

Kristin said:
    November 30, 2017 at 2:35 PM

I love YA and Middle Grade Fiction. I’m starting book #6 of Harry Potter sometime in early January. I’ve went from a month ahead on reading (which allows me more time for TBRs) to reading a week before due dates with publishers. Yikes. So, my tbr pile is having to remain untouched for the time being!

November 30, 2017 at 6:30 PM

TBR piles are evil. I made a lot of progress in November and plan to keep it up in December. 2018 must be better controlled! LOL