365 Challenge: Day 260 – Underdog (RYDER RANT)

Underdog: a competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest

underdgo.png

Happy Monday! It’s Ryder, and I am hopefully on the mend. I am still limping a little bit, but I have started getting up again in the morning when the Dads leave the bed. For about a week, I lounged in bed until after 9 each morning. I think I had a cold that is finally on its way out. Don’t worry, even though I’m getting older, I am a fighting underdog in these kinds of situations. At 10, I’m really around 60 in people years; they say it’s 7 human years for each dog year, but it’s not quite that mechanical. I will overcome and conquer it. I also want to thank the wonderful blogger Misifusa who selected today’s 365 Daily Challenge word for me. Click her name to check out her cool post for a different take on the word ‘underdog.’

For me, besides the obvious cartoon, which I am not old enough to have watched, an underdog is often what people call me. For shiba inus, that’s my dog breed in case you didn’t know, a male is usually around 25 to 30 lbs. I’m about 20 lbs. on a good day (don’t bring up that nasty ‘d’ word from last week), but I’m also a bit smaller than most. They called me the runt of the litter, but that didn’t stop Dad from picking me out on Thanksgiving weekend 10 years ago. That’s right, it was our 10-year anniversary together yesterday. He went to visit his parents in Pennsylvania for the holiday and they stopped at a pet store on Saturday just to have something to do. We connected and he came back the next day and adopted me before driving back to NY. He almost adopted my sister, but she was a bit crazy, biting the glass on the cage and growling like a bear. She was also black-and-tan. Did you know we come in different colors? I like being a red sesame, I think it’s the best one. Anyways… happy 10 years, Dad!

Back to underdog… this week, my battle is with a reindeer named Rudolph. I’ve pasted a picture below; he’s about 5 inches tall and wide, and I guess he’d be considered the underdog in this fight. Grandma brought him over to me on Thanksgiving. He plays that song I’m sure you all know. Dads took a video of me fighting with Rudolph, trying to stop the creature from ‘you-know-where’ from singing. Rudolph keeps hiding behind the potted plants on the window ledge, just far back enough I cannot get to him. I try all day long, jumping, swatting my paw at him and occasionally whine-barking. If you’re not familiar with that term, it’s when an otherwise normal and healthy adult dog acts like a little puppy and whines to get his toy back. At least that’s what Dad says to me: “Stop whine-barking.” I caught Rudolph yesterday and bit him at least a hundred times until I figured out how to turn the music on and off. Now I turn it on just to torture Dad, as he doesn’t want to hear that song all day long.

My little lesson today: when you’re the underdog in one situation, don’t assume you automatically are in all situations. Reversal of fortune is often at play!

FC7C6E73-4DF8-4E1C-8866-C9B182C7BC3E.jpeg

33 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 260 – Underdog (RYDER RANT)

November 27, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Hey Ryder, it is me Murphy! I should send you a singing snowman to add to your collection!!!

November 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM

oh ryder, i am so happy that you start to feel better. that’s very good news! 🙂 and happy 10 year anniversary! your dads must be so happy, that you are there. i recently had my 2 year anniversary with my cats and as a parent i can tell you, that it’s such a great feeling to know, that their pets are by their side.
    and i totally get that rudolph thing. i don’t like singing stuffed animals either. they are annoying and the sound must be very loud to you. don’t give up. fight that thing! 😀

November 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM

I can’t stop laughing at Ryder whine-barking at Rudolph! 😂

November 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM

awesome post ryder. I never consider you the underdog of any situation though!! Sally has an elf that she sort of feels the same way about…she gets it in her teeth and shakes her head really fast and then flings it across the room. THe cat does not like that….

tylerus said:
    November 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Enjoyed your “rant”, Ryder. Glad to hear you’re feeling better, too. Have a dog-gone good day, my furry friend. 🙂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    November 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Aww! Happy Anniversary Ryder! And you give Rudolph what for. How dare he come into your house and start singing all over the place. That’s just rude!😒

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    November 27, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Hey Ryder, I’m glad you are feeling better. That’s awesome news, although I feel your pain about the Christmas music. I have to hear all day long at work and sometimes I feel like swatting the speaker myself. Hang in there buddy…

Beware Of The Reader said:
    November 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Hahah once more you made me smile Jay. And I love that you picked the runt! It shows a big and tender heart ;-))

anne leueen said:
    November 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Hi Ryder. I’m glad you are feeling better. What’s up with that Rudolf stuffie? There are times when I’m glad I live in the barn. We don’t have stuffies here. Although my friend Serri has one tied to the bars in his stall. We think it is a security thing with him and we try not to draw attention to it. Cheers! Biasini.

November 28, 2017 at 7:32 AM

If you’d like, I can send Rudi to hang out with Serri. Rudi can check if it’s a security device! 🙂

anne leueen said:
        November 28, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Hay! That would be an interesting idea! I never thought of that stuffie as a security device. Hmmm…… Good thinking Ryder!

AJ said:
    November 27, 2017 at 11:29 PM

I love Ryder rants:)

carhicks said:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Way to go Ryder. I love an underdog. Glad you are feeling better.