365 Challenge: Day 261 – Dawdle

Dawdle: waste time; be slow; idle

awdle.png

For the most part, I do not dawdle. I have way too many things going on, and if I did, I’m certain my ‘To Do List’ would get revenge on me. It prefers not to go in excess of ten things that must be achieved, and if by five o’clock each day, the count is closer to double digits than zero, I might not make it through the night. Yet I seem to find myself dawdling this week over completing Father Figure! I planned to work on it four days this week, one of which was yesterday. While I completed 1/3 of the read aloud, I ignored writing the three additional scenes that are necessary before I can send it off to beta readers. I’m determined to complete them today, but I feel another dawdle coming on…

It’s a rather interesting word, isn’t it? I must give credit to a wonderful friend who shall remain nameless (unless she chooses to respond to this message) who suggested this as a potential word to consider for the 365 Daily Challenge. None of you have met or talked with this particular person, as she’s a friend I’ve known for about a decade outside of this site; however, she does read the blog and comments privately each week on something. She knows me well and finds the right way to connect on a variety of levels. She’s not a blogger or author, but reads a lot — she’s also provided lots of feedback into my novels. If you’ve enjoyed them, then she’s someone to thank too (just my way of embarrassing her a tiny bit without it being public).

The biggest thing that comes to mind with the word dawdle is the multitude of odd synonyms: lollygag, dilly dally, straggle, shilly-shally… the list goes on and on! My pre-school’s name was Dilly Dally. As a child, I loved it. Today, I wonder why on earth  you’d name a school something that is a word with more negative than positive associations? The other funny thing about these words is the repetition of double letters, or the high count of the letters ‘d’ or ‘g’ or ‘l’ in them. I suppose I should look this up… I suppose I should have looked this up before writing the post. But I’m learning a lesson here. If I looked them up, I’d be dawdling and subsequently avoiding writing those 3 scenes. And that’s just what I’m going to do right now: write those scenes, I mean. You thought I was gonna look up dawdle, didn’t you? Nope, I’m lazy today.

Do you know any other words for dawdle?

Any funny stories about dawdling?

Familiar with the origination of this word?

39 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 261 – Dawdle

November 28, 2017 at 9:13 AM

honestly, i have never heard of this word! but that’s why i love the english language. i learn something every day! 🙂

Jackie Paulson said:
    November 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Hey I learned a word today.

November 28, 2017 at 8:51 PM

That’s a good day! 🙂 I do too from a friend in the UK who does a word of the day. It’s always fun!

theloyalbritwit said:
    November 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM

This is a fantastic word! Not so much the connotation, but still a great word! 😁

November 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM

true… i just told a few folks to check out your word of the day! they’ll learn a lot.

theloyalbritwit said:
        November 28, 2017 at 8:55 PM

you did?! awesome!! that’s so sweet of you to do, Jay! Thanks!! 🙂 And I hope I can teach people something haha

November 28, 2017 at 8:59 PM

They were mentioning how they loved learning new words, so I thought it was appropriate 🙂

theloyalbritwit said:
        November 28, 2017 at 9:08 PM

well send them on round and I’ll see if it’ll appease their curiosity! Hopefully they’ll at least comment or like so I can return the favor!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    November 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM

I’m definitely a confirmed dawdler!🤭

AJ said:
    November 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM

I am not a dawdler for the most part but I have four perfect examples of dawdlers in my class this year!!😂

November 28, 2017 at 8:55 PM

At least you can determine who they are in advance, right?

AJ said:
        November 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM

Yup the last to get to the carpet every time!

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM

I’ve always liked the word lollygag. Although I’ve been more often told to stop dilly dallying. I guess I do dawdle as well then 😀… sometimes

November 28, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Dawdle is sort of perfect, and it’s way more fun to say than procrastinate…..though I can’t see you dawdling ever……

roseelaineblog said:
    November 28, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Once a dawdler always a dawdler 😏 just saying

November 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM

I think your definition of dawdle and the rest of the world’s definition are two different things. You may not have done exactly what you set out to do but you still achieved an awful lot. It’s not like you were sat staring at Netflix all day ignoring your To Do list entirely! That would have qualified as dawdling.
    My favourite alternative words for dawdle are goof off (that’s my fun one) and procrastinate (I use this one all the time, it’s a favourite word).

November 28, 2017 at 8:56 PM

you overestimate me! 🙂 but goof off is a good one, and it has the double ‘o’ and ‘f’

November 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Dilly Dally is perfect for a preschool because that’s exactly what that age does! They are so inquisitive that it takes them forever to get from place to place because they literally stop to smell the roses! We should all be like that once in a while. Dawdle is one of those cool words to say. Nice one, Jay.

November 28, 2017 at 8:57 PM

Thank you. Perhaps, you’ve just made it sound ok to go to that school – good call!

Firelands said:
    November 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM

I don’t like it when I dawdle, but I still do it. A similar word I like is “putter” as in “to putter around the garden.” Definition: to move or act aimlessly or idly.

Atwood Cutting said:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:50 PM

Well, James, you had me laughing pretty hard with this digression of dawdling dilly-dally.
    Up on the mountain we lollygagged, but now we just do what we want to do, and acquaint ourselves with old age. I try not to procrastinate, but well…
    Actually, I got 29 of the photo genealogy books sent off to family members today. Feeling pretty virtuous now. Took time to read a few blogs (including yours) and enjoyed myself.

November 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM

Congrats on getting so many completed today! Nice job. I will be responding to your email on the author alert this week. I’m almost done prepping Friday’s for this week’s author.

Run Wright said:
    November 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Procrastination. I loiter on the things that are easy to keep from moving on to the hard, necessary things. I think most of us do it.

Patty said:
    November 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Another word for dwadle…….sloth! bahaha! 😉

Cozynookbks said:
    December 1, 2017 at 6:31 AM

I liked when Mrs. Patmore in Downton Abbey used the word dawdle. She said “don’t dawdle” when the cooking staff needed to get a big dinner ready for upstairs. I hadn’t heard that word in forever and I liked hearing it.