365 Challenge: Day 262 – Oy!

Oy!: the sound Jay makes when the day gets away from him and he just can’t believe it’s 6 PM and he’s not finished anything that needs to be done today and he rambles and this is not a very good picture of who he is right now so please just don’t read this post

oy.png

Picture it. New York City. 7:00 AM. Jay on his couch… up a bit early. Already done with  checking social media, responding to emails and coffee. Now he just needs to get a few important things done, such as (1) the 365 Daily Challenge word and (2) eight hours to edit Father Figure. Gym will be skipped. Lunch will be heated up in the microwave and finished quickly. If he works quick enough, it can all be done with a free evening. Then he can write the 365 post. NO, Jay yells back to himself — write it NOW so you don’t have to stress later…

8 HOURS PASS

… Jay did not write the 365 post. No gym. Quick lunch. Editing is taking longer than I expected. Then I realized I hadn’t looked at any marketing for Watching Glass Shatter today and I really need to spend at least an hour on it. I haven’t prepped for a Long Island trip tomorrow to see a financial planner and my parents to work on some holiday gifts… oh, you get the picture and don’t want or need to hear me whine. This is the post. It’s as good as I can get today. Tomorrow’s might not be that good either, but I’ve almost got Friday’s Author Alert ready! So… that said, two final thoughts before I go back to editing:

1. If you commit to a daily activity, DO IT EARLY! Don’t be like me. 🙂
  2. OY! How does time fly like this. OY! Why am I dawdling. OY! I used that word already. OY! Please just make tomorrow easier.

OK… yup, if this is one of the first posts you’re reading from me — PLEASE don’t judge me by it. I normally have good content. Fun book reviews. Interesting writing topics. Cool conversations. It’s NOT always like today. We all have our days where things just aren’t at all emblematic of our good side. You’re seeing my bad side today! Pick any one of the clips below and that was me at some point during today. And probably the rest of the night.

Mid-Morning

At lunch

Mid-Afternoon

This will be tonight

This is right now

This is all day tomorrow, I suspect

50 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 262 – Oy!

Chauncey Rogers said:
    November 29, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Jay behind schedule? What a surprise! He is human after all!
    Just kidding, of course! Hope you can get back on top of things!

November 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM

It’s totally acceptable to tease! I am completely a nervous wreck over this second book. It’s the complete opposite of the first one. In WGS, I knew the story was strong, but my writing style was evolving. Now I’m very happy with the writing, but second-guessing parts of the story. I can’t decide if I want to give it to beta readers with a note on what I’m still uncertain about, or hold it back a few days (possibly a week) to work out a few areas.

How are you?

BTW, I left your Lord of the Flies review open to read tomorrow… I’m looking forward to it as I know how much you like the book.

Chauncey Rogers said:
        November 30, 2017 at 1:41 AM

I’m good, thank you! Just looking forward to some forward progress after a lovely but distracting vacation.
        Yes, I did think of you while writing that review, actually. I still feel a bit embarrassed by my zeal to defend it on Goodreads that one time. 😛 Enjoy we’re all book lovers here, so hopefully it’s understandable.

November 30, 2017 at 7:37 AM

No worries. You correct a incorrect issue / mistake in my review and pointed out I had rushed through it without being very clear on a few other thoughts. It was the right thing to do. And it brought us chatting again to read each other’s books. All worked out! 🙂

Chauncey Rogers said:
        November 30, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Very true!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    November 29, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Short for “oh woe is to me” 😉 which should be my catchphrase 😉 Especially cos I always leave things till the last minute 😉

November 29, 2017 at 6:23 PM

It happens! I do like that line. I have a line similar in ‘Father Figure’ where a character says to another, “Stop with the ‘woe is me’ routine.”

theorangutanlibrarian said:
        November 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM

hehe yes, I like it too, though it tends to make me sound more Jewish than normal, especially when I go full on “oy vey iz mir” 😉 hahaha nice 😉

November 29, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Ha! I love it. I think at least 20% of all my closer friends have been Jewish for most of my life. I’m used to it.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
        November 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM

hahaha well I am Jewish lol 😉 the lingo happens to be useful when I’m wound up, as you probably know from your friends 😉

November 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM

No words for this off the top of my head, but we’ve all been there, I suspect lol

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 29, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Lol. Still a fully entertaining post Jay.

November 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Breathe… this is the day you probably needed the gym the most, Little Bro…

inspirationpie said:
    November 29, 2017 at 7:25 PM

LOL Jay! We’ve all been there! (I seem to live there! lol) Think about how much amazing things you’ve accomplished… Maybe you need a little downtime 🙂

Cammie Adams said:
    November 29, 2017 at 7:25 PM

So… You’re not perfect? And here I was beginning to think you were superhuman. 😉 Get some rest, be well, and try again tomorrow.

November 29, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Thanks. I am definitely not! I might need not to look at another written word until 2018. 🙂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    November 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM

After a day like this I think you need some cuddling with Ryder! I hope tomorrow goes more smoothly Jay.😊

November 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Thanks, Kim. I appreciate it. I am using tonight to catch up on everything except the editing. Tomorrow I won’t be able to edit, and Friday is booked between a trip to the vet and Xmas shopping. I might miss by 12/1 deadline to finish editing, but… I gave myself the date, so I suppose extending it a few days is ok, as opposed to staying up late tonight! 🙂

Yoly said:
    November 29, 2017 at 8:05 PM

I know what you mean. I literally started making lunch at 9 am because I knew that if I postponed it, the kids would eat frozen burritos.

November 29, 2017 at 8:05 PM

ha… how long did lunch take to make??? LOL

Yoly said:
        November 29, 2017 at 8:14 PM

About 45 minutes but my kids are happy when I cook so I had to push myself. I made Philly cheesesteak sandwiches and homemade potatoes salad. 🤗

November 29, 2017 at 10:06 PM

Even when you don’t write long posts, you write funny ones. Thanks for the laugh (not at you, with you).

Mintly said:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:03 AM

Somehow i found this post is just so funny. 😀 Maybe some times we just need to enjoy those downtimes? Sometimes I did have these times as well..

November 30, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Have you gotten the break you needed?? Funny is ok, it was sorta meant to be be that way since I was stressed

Mintly said:
        November 30, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Thank you for asking. Yes, I was trying to take a break.
        Please don’t be too hard to yourselves! I believe things will turn out well for you. 😊

November 30, 2017 at 7:55 AM

🙂 Thanks!

Sharon said:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:52 AM

Oh my….Jay is a bit off his game today… But guess what my friend…it’s ok!! It happens to everybody!!! Lightening it with the humorous antics…awesome!! If at your weakest day here, it can be enough to motivate or inspire someone!! ❤

November 30, 2017 at 7:36 AM

Hi. So good to hear from you, and thank you. I appreciate it. I need to catch up on your posts this week. I am behind on everyone’s but the weekend should be open. Hope you are well.

Sharon said:
        November 30, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Ah, I understand how crazy life can get!! Just keep up your awesome work!!! Love ready as I can!!

November 30, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Excellent plan. 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 1:01 AM

Everybody has those days….😝

roseelaineblog said:
    November 30, 2017 at 4:43 AM

You are SO hard on yourself Jay, get to the gym and work some of that nervous energy off, it will relax you and you will work better. Some people say stress helps them work better, not true for everyone 😉

November 30, 2017 at 7:33 AM

I can be tough. You’re right. Some days it is good, others it isn’t. All will work out! Thanks for the kind words. Hope you are doing well.

November 30, 2017 at 4:50 AM

“oy with the poodles already” said one wise woman (lorelei gilmore).
    jay, you need to take a break. i know it’s hard for you, but if you stress out too much, your mind won’t be in the right place. so, try to take a break. leave something from your schedule. ok? we don’t want you stressed. we want you to be relaxed and have fun!! 🙂

carhicks said:
    November 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM

We all have “oy” days. Don’t be so hard on yourself, obviously your mind and body said enough, time to take a break. Today, you can get back on that merry-go-round.

November 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM

I appreciate it. Today I got a bunch done away from the apartment — no writing or editing! 🙂

Cozynookbks said:
    November 30, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Cracking up!! This is how I feel most days of my life. I love “oy.” I use it all the time.

Kristin said:
    November 30, 2017 at 2:29 PM

This is my life lately! I feel like Im drowning and when I have a moment to catch up I throw away the life support and tread water instead. 😳

November 30, 2017 at 6:29 PM

treading water is ok sometimes, but not as the norm… I’m sorry! 😦

Kristin said:
        November 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Ehh, I will get caught up. Im hoping to finish a book tonight for Tuesday and my Thursday book is under 300 pages. If I could finish both by tomorrow night I’d be in much better shape and maybe back on track to get ahead.

janieleeds said:
    November 30, 2017 at 10:21 PM

You made me laugh. Sorry, but you did. Hope you get back on track tomorrow. Everyone gets a break now and then, even you! 🙂