365 Challenge: Day 263 – Xenophile

Xenophile: A person attracted to that which is foreign, especially to foreign peoples, manners or cultures

images

I looked through the last 260+ words (yes, I’ve been at this for a while!) and found nothing that started with the letter ‘x’ in the list. Today’s word needed to start with an ‘x’ not because I missed using that letter or because I brilliantly discovered that I missed using it. I’m not that smart, but someone else is… and she happened to realize it a few weeks ago. So today’s post is dedicated to this brilliant woman — who also happens to be the same person I spoke about providing the word ‘dawdle’ a few days ago. She’s suggested a few more words, so keep your seat belts buckled, as it’s gonna be a few weeks of very cool choices. There were two other ‘x’ words I thought about using, but I admit I searched an online dictionary to verify I hadn’t missing anything obvious. There were about 50 words to choose from, mostly in the medical field. That wouldn’t work — no offense, but I’m not sure I’d do them justice. The other two options were ‘xerox’ and ‘xenophobia.’

If you’ve read a few past posts, you’ll know I love to travel and learn about other countries. It makes more sense for me to go with ‘xenophile’ as the 365 Daily Challenge word for today. I’ve always felt a strong connection to other countries, mostly from my heritage, but also the Latin American ones. I took Spanish as my second language in middle and high school, as well as 8 Spanish writing and literature courses in college. I could speak in fluently for many years, but not using it everyday has limited my proficiency. I adore culture and learning about different peoples and histories from all over the world. I celebrate the unique or distinct qualities we all share, and I’d rather experience the upside of knowing culture than the downside of being a xenophobe.

Life’s short, even if you life an entire century. The world changes so fast each day, there will always be something new and different. I choose to explore it, rather than run from it. What I know is clearly NOT the only acceptable way of existing or doing something; therefore, it’s my responsibility to learn as much as I can about everything around me. No, I’m not on a soapbox! I’m just expressing how I live my day. I won’t ever know it all, but if I’m lucky enough to be exposed to a few wonderful pieces of the world throughout my life, then it’s something too celebrate. I am a xenophile and I admit it!

What are you favorite words with an ‘x’ ?

What are you favorite parts of the world to visit ?

What culture do you come from ?

38 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 263 – Xenophile

Emma's Library said:
    November 30, 2017 at 4:06 AM

The same has happened to me with my Spanish, also French. I could speak both of them relatively well when I was at university studying them, but now… My issue is that I don’t have the means to travel, fully immerse myself in the cultures and there’s no one at home with whom I can practise.

November 30, 2017 at 7:39 AM

That’s tough as anything but being in the country is not immersive. Hopefully the means will travel in the near future for you. Or you might have to find an alternative way… find a few WP folks who can speak both and push you.

Emma's Library said:
        November 30, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, I need the motivation. I’ve tried reading a few things in French but I’ve not got very far with them, probably because they’ve been a little advanced for my current level. I think I need to go right back to the very beginning and make my way up again.

November 30, 2017 at 6:24 PM

maybe it will go much quicker this time? Immerse yourself in some French movies and foreign films?

Emma's Library said:
        December 1, 2017 at 1:25 AM

Yeah. I have a few so that might be a good place to start.

frjameson said:
    November 30, 2017 at 4:28 AM

In this week, in this strange year of 2017, we should all come together and proclaim ourselves Xenophiles. We’re not frightened by other cultures, we don’t fear the other – instead we embrace them all. I’m with you, James!

November 30, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Yay! Glad to be on the same page. I seem to have a book in my unread queue (which is under 25 now!!!) and it has the name Jameson on it! I’m finally almost thru all my commitments. 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 4:55 AM

i think, i don’t have a word starting with “x”…
    my favorite countries to visit are the USA and definitely ireland. i want to explore the uk a little more, go to scotland, england, wales. but i also want to make a tour through scandinavia and iceland. (hmm, cold countries, also i love the sun haha)
    i was born in poland and my parents moved to germany when i was four years old. i grew up speaking polish and german and although german is my second language, i still can speak polish, i even taught myself to read it and write it. it’s not that good anymore after so many years, but i can still have a conversation and talk with my relatives in poland. english feels like my second language too haha. i do so many things in english, that i almost even think in english, which is crazy. i had french for four years in school but i forgot mostly everything. and i took a spanish course this year, but yeah, didn’t go that well haha 😀

November 30, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Languages are so hard to retain if you don’t have the opportunity to use them somewhat regularly. I’m impressed you have so many between German, English, Polish and Spanish. Even if it’s just a bit of Spanish. I’m around 1.75 languages, you’re double! I think there should be a 1 year travel program where groups of people go to 52 countries, 1 per week, exploring. It would be a bit expensive, but it could be cut down traveling in large groups. 🙂 I’m with you on the cold countries. 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 8:53 AM

oh i am totally up for that travel program!!
        i think it’s easier for me with languages, because i was put in school and learned german there and my parents raised me polish. i think everybody should be raised bilingual. it’s so good! and it makes learning new languages so much easier…

November 30, 2017 at 6:24 PM

It would be pretty awesome I totally agree on bilingual being a requirement.

November 30, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I’m a new yawker….isn’t that culture enough?

Genetically….Eastern European, Italian and western Asian, but buts and pieces of other stuff.

You know I’m an Anglophile!! But seriously, would love to visit everywhere. My bucket list is to visit all 50 states. If I’m lucky enough to finish that, then I want to spend time on each continent.

Xerox is my favorite x word. Though I guess I like X-men also…..

November 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for teaching me a new word today. I am Italian mostly and I think it would be wonderful to visit Italy and also England. I’d have to sell quite a few cards and mini-albums to make that possible. Happy Thursday to you.

November 30, 2017 at 6:26 PM

You’re welcome. Those would be good trips. Hmm… maybe you can sell it all this holiday. Send me your links tomorrow. I’ll tweet about them!

tahenryauthoress said:
    November 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM

I am a mutt. I actually did an activity with my geography class last year. Had them guess what my ethnic heritage and then what that said about me (based on the tropes they knew). It was a fun project and took forever because like I said mutt, 8 different ethnic blends here. And of course none of the stereotypes fit me, except the tea drinking. I like tea. LOL. It was a great way to get them to think about the assumptions we make about people based on irrelevant and easy “facts,” by demonstrating how much those assumptions don’t actually match the real person.

November 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM

What a powerful lesson. I can only imagine how it went. It probably helped re-educate them, too.

rugby843 said:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM

I agree. I’d love to visit the UK, Ireland , Europe, Scandinavia, China, Africa New Zealand, well I guess just about everywhere, Greenland, Iceland,yup everywhere ; )

November 30, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Those are some good places… Africa seems like the most exotic for me.

Firelands said:
    November 30, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Better a xenophile than a xenophobe, in my opinion.

The Cozy Pages said:
    November 30, 2017 at 3:20 PM

As a Spanish and Latin American Studies teacher I strongly urge you to get back to your Spanish!!!! 😄 It never really leaves you though. A couple weeks practice and you’d be amazed how much you can recover.

November 30, 2017 at 6:31 PM

I am good at reading it and conversation, but not writing it (grammar is the part I lost)!

The Cozy Pages said:
        November 30, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Lol. Once it’s functional. You can chip at the mechanics anytime.

Chauncey Rogers said:
    November 30, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Ah, another formerly-fluent Spanish speaker! I spoke it almost exclusively for two years. Now, not so much. 😛 Wish I still did, though.
    I think people are naturally curious, and people who are secure in their understanding of themselves and their place in the world are naturally curious about other peoples and cultures. It’s always fascinating to me to see how other people do things–even simple things!
    Another X word? Goodness…. X-men? I guess you could do a post on what you wish your mutant power was. 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Maybe we should only allow speaking in Spanish to each other… 🙂

X-men is a good option… I was just chatting with Lisa on another blog about whether I could consider this a true word, since it’s hyphenated and just has the letter to make it an X… hmm… there aren’t many other options, tho.

My mutant power would be x-ray vision. And yours?

Chauncey Rogers said:
        November 30, 2017 at 7:03 PM

So many good ones to choose from…. Flight has always seemed very practical to me, though.

Chauncey Rogers said:
        November 30, 2017 at 7:37 PM

As for speaking in Spanish? We could try. I think I would embarrass myself pretty badly, though!

December 1, 2017 at 7:54 AM

I have a feeling I would, too.

Jessica Rachow said:
    December 1, 2017 at 6:11 AM

I took Spanish all the way through middle and high school, and then I went on to take ASL in college. I don’t remember much from either, but I’d like to pick them both back up.

I’m mostly German, Irish, and French. I’d really like to travel everywhere. There’s a lot of places to see in the U.S. still, and so many great places to travel in the world. I guess I would start in Ireland, if I had to choose.

I just googled words that begin with ‘x’ and found ‘xeric’ – an environment or habitat containing little moisture, very dry. So, I will go with that as my favorite, haha.

December 1, 2017 at 7:53 AM

That’s a new word for me, thanks for teaching it to us. Ireland is big on my list. I was thinking about it for New Year’s, but we only have 4 days and that’s no long enough.

november book haul – coffeeloving bookoholic said:
    December 2, 2017 at 7:05 AM

[…] edition, because it is gorgeous!!! ❤ the only thing that’s missing, is the signatur from jay. […]

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Xeriscape- gardens designed for near-drought climates. I am mostly English. My long-standing dream was to go to Kenya and stand beside a Maasai warrior. That has been accomplished. Now I think I want to go and soak in Gaudirama in Barcelona.

December 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM

I’m awful with languages, I have been able to speak French and Greek bit can barely get out a “Hello, How are you” anymore. I am obsessed with other countries and travel. Growing up I wished I was American, part of me still does. Now that I’ve lived in Greece I would drop everything and go back there in a heartbeat, the pace of life is much slower, the people more relaxed and friendly, the climate nicer, the landscape stunning. And my favourite X words… Hmmm xenolith it’s a cool word and one of the only things about geology I know thanks to some geologists I met several years ago who showed me one.