365 Challenge: Day 267 – Needle (RYDER RANT)

Needle: a very fine slender piece of metal with a point at one end and a hole or eye for thread at the other, used in sewing, to give shots to someone or draw blood from a dog

needle.jpg

Hi. It’s Ryder. Unfortunately, I had a very bad weekend. I’d rather not discuss it, but I feel like you’d want to know. So… Friday morning was my 6-month trip to the vet. I go twice a year to get a shot. This time it was bordetella, which allows me to go to the groomer or get boarded when the Dads go away. It’s required by law. When I got there, Dad told the vet about my entire week spent in bed and my sore foot. He asked for blood work. I usually get blood work once per year to check the levels for any adjustments to my anti-seizure medicine. Anyways, the vet, who I normally like, informed us that I had two more shots due in January and that I could get them early if I wanted. I don’t like shots, but I’d rather get it all done at once, so I said yes. That’s when it happened!

I normally don’t like my toe nails being clipped; that’s when I whine a bit. Dad thinks maybe that’s how I hurt my foot last time. I also don’t like being stabbed with a needle. Yes, stabbed. I whine then, too. Usually just a little. But this time, it was not good. I whined for ten minutes. Very loudly. Everyone heard me. They stuck my left leg to find a vein. Then my right one. Then my neck. I was very, very sad and let them know it. I screeched so loudly, it was probably heard all the way across town. Poor Dad… he ended up canceling the blood work because they couldn’t get me to calm down. I’ve never done that before, but it hurt this time. I don’t know why. Even I admit I exaggerated the pain.

So we went home. Dad felt bad for me, but he also was a little upset with me that I wouldn’t let the vet take my blood. That just means we have to go back in a few months ago. Yuck. But then it gets worse. I must have been in really awful mood this weekend. They put up Christmas decorations in a few rooms. I never take things I’m not supposed to take. But when they went shopping and then to dinner on Saturday, I might have accidentally pulled down some of the garland. And a large stick of red berries might have fallen to the floor. There’s a small chance I ate it, too. I have never eaten anything like that before. As a puppy, I never ate or scratched anything I shouldn’t have. So… 25 red painted styrofoam balls ended up in my belly. When they got home, they saw me napping on the floor and all the wires and sticks laying next to me. All the food was in my bowl, too. Oops!

Of course, they thought I hurt myself. They checked all over the Internet to see what they should do. Since it had been over two hours, there was no use in making me vomit, as it was already into my intestines (sorry for any images). But this is where the Dads worry for no reason. I was still eating my normal food afterwards. I did ‘my business’ the next day with no issues. I’m good today. So it’s all fine now, but I think they were a bit frustrated with me this weekend. The only positive: one of the suggestions was to give me plenty of bread to help with digestion. I got a bunch which was really the whole point of it anyway… they still aren’t feeding me enough treats and snacks. And that mean vet told them I am two pounds heavier than last time. He also said that’s why I am no longer jumping on the couch by myself and instead ask to be picked up. Phew… what a week. Hope it gets better!

Dad wanted me to announce his special ‘This Is My Truth Now 2017 Blog Award’ but unfortunately, WordPress is not cooperating, so it will take another couple of days. But stay tuned… one day this week, we will tell everyone about this very cool award. Until then, I’ll be in search of something else I can destroy this week. I seem to be turning into a bad little boy this holiday season!

72 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 267 – Needle (RYDER RANT)

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I can totally relate with Ryder on the needle-part! I have to get my blood checked every three months.
    Postponing it is no use since it’s important but I really cannot get used to it.

At least Ryder doesn’t have people saying “What are you complaining about needles?!” since he doesn’t have any tattoos or piercings – at least I hope he doesn’t because that would be weird!
    People seem to think having those equals a weird fondness for needles.. So not true..
    I do hope Ryder gets a bit more used to them next time!

December 4, 2017 at 9:20 AM

That’s not fun at all… 4 times per year. Ouch. But you’re right, you have to just do it.

I can see why it may seem similar, but needles for a tattoo are quite different. I haven’t had one yet (really want to), but I’ve seen it done.

Thanks for the well wishes for Ryder. Hope you had a good weekend.

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
        December 4, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Yup, indeed.

It’s often similar to people without a clue about how a tattoo is set – or so I’ve noticed. Since tattoos can be fairly addictive – I swore I wouldn’t get more than one but here I am, rocking five – I really cannot imagine it being the same as getting injections!

Thank you, I did! Hope you did too, all Ryder-things considered. 🙂

December 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Five? Awesome. My issue is not getting one until I know what I really want. How did you decide, or just went with it?

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
        December 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM

The first one I got are my two birds near my collar bones. A dear friend of mine drew those once and they got stuck in my head. I adapted them a bit so the eyes are two letters – two people who were very important to me while growing up – and included “Dream” and “Fight” in their bellies, the two lessons those people taught me. It felt like things I would always want to hold close, never forget. It felt like the perfect thing to have them inked in my skin.
        The second one is pretty much the motto I go by; “I’d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.” I think that one is obvious enough.
        Then I have “Always” for Harry Potter while growing up, which was a huge part of my childhood and I felt like it deserved a spot as well.
        Fourth is a little pinecone near my left ear since I always went to the forest with my grandfather to collect pinecones so we could decorate them for Christmas. He passed away when I was barely twelve and I wanted something of him on myself. I put it as close to my left eye as I possibly could – without having it on my cheek that is – because he lost his left eye in an accident and it just felt.. right.
        The last one is the biggest one, of The Nightmare Before Christmas, and was the most impulsive one without any specific meaning. My boyfriend was getting his first tattoo when we were in London for a week and I just couldn’t not get one myself. You might say it’s a permanent memory of our first real holiday together, in a way. So it still has meaning to me as well.

Long story short, I’m only getting tattoos that actually have meaning to me. I’m still planning a bunch as well because I want more book-related tattoos. Reading has always been and will always be a huge part of me so I just feel like it should be represented in that way as well.

December 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM

It totally sounds like you have the best approach on them. I truly love the pine cone message and how it relates to someone in such a personal manner. 🙂

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
        December 5, 2017 at 2:18 AM

Thank you! 🙂

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:54 AM

Oh no. Poor baby. I hope you get spoilt all week… a little naughtiness is fine every so often after all.

December 4, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I think he’ll be ok… cutting the treats to a minimum until he loses both extra pounds! It’s only 2, but it’s 10% on a small frame. He needs to jump on his own! 🙂

December 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Poor Buddy! Maybe Dad should start baking you healthy, homemade treats! Yum…that would make you feel better!💚🐶

theloyalbritwit said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Poor Ryder and poor Dads for having a tough weekend. Here’s to hoping Ryder feels better and the week goes smoother. 😃❤️

tylerus said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Actually, I don’t like this post, but only because it makes me so very sad. 😦 I’m sorry to hear about your pain, Ryder. Needles are nasty, but ultimately, they’re in our best interest. And I totally understand your frustration: we can get a bit rambunctious when we’re feeling poorly. I hope you’re 100% soon, little fella. Take care.

December 4, 2017 at 9:22 AM

It was awful hearing the noises and not being able to do anything… poor thing. But he was fine later on. Thanks for checking in! 🙂

janieleeds said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Ryder you poor pup! But remember, Santa has a naughty list and you don’t want to be on it! I hate needles myself so I get it. But your Dads are good men and they won’t let anyone hurt you, but they do need to get you checked. I hope you got lots of petting afterwards. But no more bad behavior please…Santa’s watching!!

December 4, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Good message… the naughty list. I will be sure to stay off that one! I want my treats.

Patty said:
    December 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Ryder don’t feel bad my pups don’t like the vet either. Your buddy Elvis ate the plastic handles off my scissors yesterday. The scissors that were on the coffee table I might add. I am not sure why he feels he must eat things when I am not home. Two days ago he tried to eat a roll of packing tape but got busted for it. Hope you are feeling better.

December 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Elvis! Oh, it’s not good, don’t eat plastic. Be good. I suffered enough. How are you feeling today? Packing tape makes a fun noise, so that makes sense. But scissors? Those will hurt!!!!

Patty said:
        December 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM

It’s like he never ate them. He feels and acts like he always does. It is disturbing what he thinks is worth eating. Nothing is safe. I’m just glad he didn’t try to swallow the Blade part. He ate my nieces glasses about two months ago. I mean he is four years old. Not a puppy anymore. Agghhh.

December 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM

glasses? Elvis… what are you missing in your diet that those tempted you? LOL

Patty said:
        December 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM

I know right!

December 4, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Aww, this killed me. Poor Ryder! Getting blood taken is no fun! My pup Winston had a bad accident last time we took him in so don’t feel bad! Much love and hugs Ryder. Here’s a good squeeze! 🤗🤗🤗 I hope you and dads have a better week. ❤

December 4, 2017 at 9:59 AM

oh poor little ryder! so many needles!! i can relate to that. i need to get my blood checked every three months and it can get annoying. i totally feel you. but you know what, your dads probably suffer even more than you do, at least that’s what’s happening to me when i am at the vet with my cats. every time i almost get a heartattack. but they are afraid for a short time and at home everything is alright. i am pretty sure, that you already forgot about the needles 😉
    but you need to behave ryder. be nice and loose that two pounds and then you can jump around again and your daddys will give you treats again 🙂 YOU CAN DO IT! 🙂

susandyer1962 said:
    December 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Awww poor Ryder! I think you should whine some more until your Dad bakes you some cupcakes!!!

December 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Oh, so not fair. I’ll send him to you if he keeps this whining up!

susandyer1962 said:
        December 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Haha okay but you have to send the cupcakes with him! I’m partial to chocolate or red velvet!!😁😁

December 4, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Ok, I’ll do the baking. Chocolate for you. Red Velvet for him.

susandyer1962 said:
        December 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM

What?? We can’t share? Hahaha!

December 4, 2017 at 6:49 PM

you can have some of his, but no chocolate for him. 🙂 Maybe I’ll make some peanut butter ones, too, he likes those

susandyer1962 said:
        December 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Ugghhh stop! I’m craving cupcakes now……Ryder is one lucky puppy!! We had homemade pizza for dinner and my dog has been driving me nuts begging for her puppy crack!! Why do dogs love crust so much?? Happy Monday Jay!

December 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Poor Ryder, but I agree, Santa is watching so if you are particularly causing trouble, he’ll know it. Remember that your dads love you and are only trying to make sure that you are around a long time with them.

chewingonglass said:
    December 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Needles hold too much power… Something needs to be done about this… Hope all is well..

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    December 4, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Aww poor Ryder!!!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 4, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Oh no! Poor Ryder! We all hate needles. I’m sure your totally awesom Dads understood. And as for that mishap with the garland, that could have happened to anyone. The important thing is that you didn’t get sick. I’m sending you extra virtual hugs sweetie!🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

anne leueen said:
    December 4, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Oh dear Ryder that sounds awful. We horses have blood taken from our necks and as we have big veins on either side of our necks it is not bad at all. Your experience sounds dreadful. But listen, about eating the Styrofoam balls….what were you thinking? If horses did that we would probably colic and need a major surgery or just die. so please don’t do that again my friend. Bye for now. Biasini.

December 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM

Be careful. Don’t eat it! Colic is bad. Stay safe. 🙂

anne leueen said:
        December 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Ryder Ma leueen told me she used to have a little dog that ate a whole bowl of peanuts at a party. Next day when she was walking the dog beside a playground all the peanuts were pooped out and they looked perfect! It was icy and the peanuts were skittering all over the snow and Ma Leueen had to pick all of them up ’cause she was afraid the kids at the playground might eat them! I never eat peanuts or styrofoam balls. Bye for now. Biasini.

December 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Yikes! I thought the digestive acids would dissolve those. I guess not. Ma is a good woman, taking care of you and the kiddo’s. 🙂

December 5, 2017 at 12:07 AM

Oh you poor sweet boy! I hope you’re feeling better!!

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    December 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Oh my goodness Ryder what a week you had, and I thought mine was turned upside down. I hate needles and it reminds me that I have to reschedule a doctor’s appointment myself. Like you I have bad experiences with needles and I hate them. I’m glad you are ok for now and that those little berries didn’t cause you extra trouble. Be careful out there…you know what not to do.

December 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Good luck at the doctor. Ryder seems to be doing well. He’s currently begging for a piece of my macaron. It never ends with him. 🙂

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        December 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Haha how can you blame him lol. You like it, so it’s only normal that he would want a piece. After all you are the role model and his pack leader 😉

carhicks said:
    December 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM

They actually had to draw blood from my dog’s neck this past month. I guess he did okay, but they wouldn’t even let me in the room when they did it.

dtills said:
    December 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Oh no! Did I miss the announcement from Ryder???

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    December 5, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Oh poor Ryder! I think after being stabbed, you should totally have (just one) pass on something destroyed lol..
    Jay, my daughter had shots a few weeks ago and she wore her “magic waterproof Band-Aids” obsessively for an entire week until I had to force her to let me take them off. I was worried about the adhesive messing with her easily rash-able skin.. Anyhow the entire experience was devastating from the needle to the ‘riiippp’ of the Band-Aids. She’s an extremely dramatic little flower (more so than any other kid I’ve seen), and will likely be traumatized for life over needles!!! GREAT POST

December 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM

oh, poor girl, that had to be hard for you. I’m glad she’s ok now, but still, that will definitely haunt her for a bit, but she’s probably strong like you, too, so it will go away!

KDKH said:
    December 6, 2017 at 12:32 AM

Sorry for the rough week, Ryder. Are you sure that two measly pounds are keeping you from jumping on the couch? Could you have arthritis or something? It sounds awful to have to ask for help getting on the couch where all the snuggles are. 😦

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    December 6, 2017 at 5:29 AM

Glad you’re alright, now, Ryder! You had me worried for a moment. 🙂 xxx

roseelaineblog said:
    December 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Poor Ryder, I hope all is okay now.

mainepaperpusher said:
    December 6, 2017 at 6:47 PM

Ryder, I wouldn’t feel too badly about a few berries. My boy Walter has eaten some things that would make your tail curl. 😉 It was funny when he pooped rainbows because he ate a box of crayons. When the Dads get too worried about you, remind them that Walter ate a big super dark chocolate bar and when I made him throw it up, a steel wool SOS pad came up with it! Walter says he sends his love and Levi does, too. 🐾 🐾

December 7, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Wow, that must have been quite a fun thing to experience! yikes. I’m glad he’s fine.

mainepaperpusher said:
        December 9, 2017 at 2:04 AM

I was astounded, shocked, amused, worried, and mad….all at once!

Mintly said:
    December 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Late checked in to my favorite post! Poor Ryder. Feel like pat him now.
    Nice post, Jay. Have a good day.

December 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Oh dear Ryder stuck with needles and eating styrofoam balls I hope you are having a better week this week.