365 Challenge: Day 268 – Settle

Settle: (a) adopt a more steady or secure style of life, especially in a permanent job and home, or (b) accept something less than what you want

When I opened my laptop this morning, I clicked on the news to see what if anything major happened overnight. I somehow hit an extra button too quickly and this quote popped up on my screen. I saw it as a sign given how important it’s become to me:

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”                      -Steve Jobs

There are days when we feel like it’s time to settle — to just accept whatever it is before us rather than push for what we want. Fight through it. It might be appropriate in some situations, but it’s never appropriate in all situations. It was 18 (eighteen) months ago [today] that I made the decision to leave my corporate position in technology and focus on one of my passions: writing. I am grateful for this opportunity and I have enjoyed every moment since then. I wish only the same for all of you. Life is good.

56 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 268 – Settle

December 5, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Short and sweet, and very inspiring. I love this post 🙂 Wishing you many more successes to come!

December 5, 2017 at 8:37 AM

this is an awesome quote and it’s so very true! if you don’t find the thing you love, you’ll never be truly happy!

December 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM

well said! I’m sitting down with macarons and hot chocolate now, staring at a laptop screen… telling myself to edit Father Figure!

December 6, 2017 at 4:37 AM

are you afraid of editing, or are you just in a little slump?

December 6, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Not afraid, but I’m just uncertain about a few parts and can’t decide how to change it. Might be a bit of a slump.

December 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM

hmpf! good luck on that! i know you will do this the way you want to! 🙂

delphini510 said:
    December 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM

What a wonderful quote you posted by Steve Jobs. It is so true for us all even though some might have difficulty achieving it because of circumstances.
    miriam

December 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM

It is a great quote. Achieving it is difficult. Between talent, time and money, it’s not a simple path. Hopefully you are achieving it somehow… all your photos and messages always brighten my day.

tylerusT said:
    December 5, 2017 at 10:28 AM

You’re blessed that you’re able to do that. 🙂 I like the quote. Thank you for sharing and providing food for thought.

December 5, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Yes, I am. I worked very hard for 15 years to save for a break… hopefully it all pays off! If not, it’s been a very fun period in my life. 🙂

frjameson said:
    December 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Good advice! We only have one life after all and we want it to have as few regrets as possible.

December 5, 2017 at 2:30 PM

so very true, thank you for seconding (is that a word) the motion! 🙂

russtowne said:
    December 5, 2017 at 12:08 PM

May your wish for us remain true for you, Jay. I whole-heartedly believe in the message Steve Jobs conveyed in your post.

December 5, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Yes, yes! Wishing you continued success!

tahenryauthoress said:
    December 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM

I am now faced with the possibility that I don’t have the right temperament to push on through, to fight for what I want as you put it. And I’m not sure how to tackle that. It’s not something I can simply work harder at (which is my answer for everything else). LOL.

December 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Hmmm… without knowing what it is, that’s a hard one to respond to. Holler (aka private message) if I can help! Good Luck. 🙂

tahenryauthoress said:
        December 5, 2017 at 3:59 PM

You’re very kind. I just need to figure it out for myself. And those are always the hardest questions, aren’t they….

December 6, 2017 at 8:23 AM

yes, i know what you mean

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    December 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Thank you for sharing this powerful message and who cool was that, that it managed to find it’s way into your life at this particular time. Nothing happens by accident and you were meant to see it. To appreciate it and celebrate in these days where you have achieved so much. Besides that I’m a huge fan of Steve Jobs wisdom and his words speak to me.

December 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM

I’m glad to help. It was a very apropos day. 🙂 You’re welcome… just grabbed a little snack and back to editing. Stop on over, we’ll have a cup of tea or coffee or hot chocolate and catch up! 🙂

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        December 5, 2017 at 2:27 PM

That would be awesome 😉 thanks for the invite

December 5, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Standing invite if you find yourself in NY. Stop on by for lunch or dinner. I can cook or we can go out!

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        December 5, 2017 at 2:47 PM

XO love it. Thank you so much. Have a beautiful day, glad Ryder is much better.

December 5, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Do what you love, Love what you do! So very proud of you!💚

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    December 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM

you are a brave person and you are inspiring and encouraging dozens of people all around the world. I am glad to witness your journey.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Jay you took a leap of faith and I’m in awe! I really, really, really wish you a brilliant career as a writer!

dtills said:
    December 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM

I know that Jobs was far from perfect in his interpersonal relationships, but he really hits it out of the park with this quote, and his overall work ethic-not a bad role model in this case!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    December 5, 2017 at 9:31 PM

This quote is absolutely perfect! I love it, Jay. This is exactly what I needed today! 🙂

December 5, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Great thoughts! Though wp is driving me crazy so I would like you back in tech for a bit….but love the sentiment! Don’t settle!

anne leueen said:
    December 5, 2017 at 9:44 PM

Don’t settle! You are right and it would seem that it is going well for you. From my exalted age I can tell you that it is worth it to not settle. I’m glad I never settled for less than what I thought I could do and loved to do. That makes for a happier life I think.

December 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM

I’m glad you didn’t settle either as it’s given you so much. I’m glad things worked out for you. 🙂

Nthato Morakabi said:
    December 6, 2017 at 2:39 AM

I’m sure it has been quite an amazing journey, all the highs and lows and learning curves and watching your novel come to life and now you got a published novel. So great man.

December 6, 2017 at 8:03 AM

I appreciate it. How are your plans shaping up?

Nthato Morakabi said:
        December 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM

They are shaping up, it’s just going really slow. Have a couple more published works coming out soon, but nothing novel major you know. I keep checking out blogs like yours to remind myself where I want to head to.

December 6, 2017 at 8:22 AM

It always starts somewhere and in time, it will take off. I am glad I can help with a bit of a reminder. Once I get thru the holidays, I’ll spend some time looking through your site more to see how it’s coming together. 🙂

Nthato Morakabi said:
        December 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM

Thanks a lot James. I really appreciate it.

mainepaperpusher said:
    December 6, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Great quote! It’s a joy to see you doing what you love. Jobs would be proud of you!

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM

Click. Steve Jobs always thought outside the box. That’s where glints of genius first appear.

roseelaineblog said:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM

Isn’t that strange that you got that message! I know you do book reviews right! When you have time take a look at the book called The monk who sold
    his Ferrari , I think you would like it. Also I thought of another word for you dwindle, dwindled!

December 6, 2017 at 6:12 PM

I will take a look this weekend, thank you! 🙂 dwindle!!!!

Ann Marie Bryant said:
    December 6, 2017 at 7:33 PM

Keep following your dreams! Love the quote

December 7, 2017 at 6:03 PM

This is such a beautiful and important quote by Steve Jobs. It says so much and you are doing it. ❤

December 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Happy 18 months! (A few days late). So much truth in that quote, life is far too short and time at work too long to be unhappy with what you are doing there.