Cat: (a) one of the main characters in a fantastic author’s book series or (b) 365 Daily Challenge word for today’s author alert — Lilian Jackson Braun
If you are new to the ThisIsMyTruthNow blog, the 365 Daily Challenge, or the Author Alert segment, check out the About Site section from the main menu. Below are some key things to know about this author, but at the end of this post, you’ll see the permanent page I’ve added to my blog. You can return to check out more on who she is, what she’s writing and how to buy her future work.
Unfortunately, the planned author selected for this week had to re-schedule, so I am not doing a traditional alert for someone I’ve actually had a chance to meet or chat with. Today’s author is someone whose work introduced me to the cozy mystery, which I adore. I’ve read all 30+ of her novels and when I needed to come up with a post at the last minute, I chose her. I am sorry I’m not introducing you to someone new and fantastic to chat with on the blog, but I am very happy to share an old favorite with you. Today’s word is also ‘cat’ because of the two cats, Koko and Yum Yum, who accompany the main character on all his investigations… and all the books in this author’s series are entitled “The Cat Who…” Happy Reading!
Lilian Jackson Braun (1913 – 2011) wrote the “Cat Who” cozy mystery series set in Moose County, Minnesota with Jim Qwilleran, semi-retired journalist, as the main character, along with his two Siamese cats, KoKo and YumYum. The first 3 books in the series were published in the 1960s, but she then took a 20 year hiatus before publishing the next one in the 1980s. With almost 30 books in the series, she’s a highly prolific writer who’s created a wonderful world full of charming, eccentric and relatable characters.
If you’re a fan of the traditional American cozy, Braun created some of the very early standards when she built the town of Pickax, 400 miles north of everywhere! Between the Goodwinter family, the amazing cats, the journalism stories, Qwill’s mustache, and the converted barn, I always found something to love in these books. While the last few took a turn south in terms of quality, they were still fun to read if you liked the characters and the setting.
Below are my reviews for every book she’s written. In addition to the series, she published several other books about and around the Cat Who series.
- The Cat Who… Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun (2000)
- Short and Tall Tales by Jim Qwilleran (2002)
- The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (1988)
- The Private Life of Cat Who (2003)
Book Series – Cat Who
- The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (1966) — Favorite in the series
- The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (1967)
- The Cat Who Turned on and Off (1968)
- The Cat Who Saw Red (1986)
- The Cat Who Played Brahms (1987)
- The Cat Who Played Post Office (1987)
- The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (1988)
- The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (1988)
- The Cat Who Went Underground (1989)
- The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (1990)
- The Cat Who Lived High (1990)
- The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (1991)
- The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (1992)
- The Cat Who Wasn’t There (1992)
- The Cat Who Went into the Closet (1993)
- The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (1994)
- The Cat Who Blew The Whistle (1994)
- The Cat Who Said Cheese (1995)
- The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (1997)
- The Cat Who Sang for the Bird (1998)
- The Cat Who Saw Stars (1998)
- The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (1999)
- The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (2001)
- The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (2002)
- The Cat Who Brought Down the House (2003)
- The Cat Who Talked Turkey (2004)
- The Cat Who Went Bananas (2004) — Least favorite in the series
- The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (2006)
- The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (2007)
To see more about Lilian Jackson Braun on ThisIsMyTruthNow, check out her dedicated author page where future content and books will added as she publishes them and I review them. Thanks for stopping by this edition of the Author Alert.
About Me & the “365 Daily Challenge”
I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My debut novel, Watching Glass Shatter, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/WGS. I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.
The goal: Knowledge. Acceptance. Understanding. Optimization. Happiness. Help. For myself. For others. And if all else fails, humor. When I’m finished in one year, I hope to have more answers about the future and what I will do with the remainder of my life. All aspects to be considered. It’s not just about a career, hobbies, residence, activities, efforts, et al. It’s meant to be a comprehensive study and reflection from an ordinary man. Not a doctor. Not a therapist. Not a friend. Not an encyclopedia full of prior research. Just pure thought, a blogged journal with true honesty.
Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.