365 Challenge: Day 273 – Easter (LIST: Holiday)

Easter: the most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ and held (in the Western Church) between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox — also fun with Easter eggs and rabbits

aster.jpg

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose holidays and now we’re in our second week. It feels odd to pick holidays from earlier in the year when we’re approaching the bigger ones at the end of the year, but I’ve of course reserved Christmas and New Year’s for the last two Sundays. This week, I’ve gone with Easter because it’s one of those classic holidays that’s evolved into so much more.

Easter is a religious holiday; I grew up Catholic and went to church every weekend. I vividly recall Sunday school lessons and preparing for Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Palm Sunday. I also remember the season of lent beginning in February. I was very conscientious about not eating meat on Fridays and choosing something to ‘give up’ during those 40 days. I went back and forth between desserts or different activities I enjoyed doing. Over the years, I stopped observing those traditions, but the holiday has always been something a bit special for me. From a religious perspective, it was about the death and re-birth of a savior, the sacrifices people make, the ways to show people you care. But then there’s the commercial side of it where it’s all about the fun and food.

I’m glossing over a bit, but just wanted to mention a few of the important things from the spiritual and religious aspects; however, to keep this light and fun, let’s explore why I love this holiday from a commercial perspective:

• I am a dessert fiend. I love chocolate and candy and pie and cake and… it goes on forever. It’s so much to enjoy when you have baskets filled with it!
  • I rather enjoy the feel of the grass you put in the baskets. It’s silly until you have to clean it up off the floor for days afterwards. Oy!
  • Who would not have fun dyeing Easter eggs? All the wonderful pastel colors and designs. The process to teach kids how to create something from scratch. Learning about how an egg goes from delicate to hard-boiled and then can be painted.
  • Easter Egg hunting! Finding gifts. Searching for hidden eggs. Rolling down a hill in a big toss to see who makes it first without dropping the egg on a spoon.
  • The Easter Bunny. Some kids were afraid to sit on his/her lap at the mall. I was fine. I remember asking the bunny for Peeps and (s)he asked (I don’t recall the gender) why I didn’t want anything else. I just said “I’ve got everything else I want. Just need some candy.” I was a weird child, I admit it.
  • There’s no expectations on buying grand presents. It’s always been something relaxed, playful, cute and simple.
  • Family gets together and has a chill day with less requirements over who has to host each year, what needs to be served, et al.
  • I enjoy cooking a good spiral ham. That’s the traditional food for me growing up for this holiday. Mmmm… maple syrup… cloves… I want one right now.
  • All the outfits, from little kids to women in giant Easter bonnets and men in bow ties. It’s classic picture time!

How do you feel about Easter? Do you celebrate in any special way?

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: TBD
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

24 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 273 – Easter (LIST: Holiday)

theloyalbritwit said:
    December 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM

You summed it up very nicely! I’ve always loved the pastel colors on top of what you’ve already mentioned. The candy was the best part because I was a candy hoarder (Halloween was just as bad…drove my mom nuts! 😂) and the oldest sibling/cousin, so I found things a lot faster. Dressing up as another fave aspect of mine, especially since I was a dancer as a little girl and loooooooved any excuse to put on “play” clothes or dress-up clothes. (Play clothes were typically my old dance costumes.) I loved the Easter egg hunts held at my childhood church. ☺️ there was always SO many eggs, I’m pretty sure some of the adults were finding leftovers around for weeks. (Just the plastic container ones, not actual eggs. Yikes!) This brought up a lot of fun memories and i feel like I should stop before I write an entire memoir for you!

December 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM

It sounds like a fantastic childhood memory! So much fun to be had in families like yours. I never did the plastic eggs. Friends or cousins did tho. Fun share!!!

Cammie Adams said:
    December 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM

My family holds the big hunt at night. We hide a mix of candy-stuffed plastic eggs, dyed eggs, and small trinkets like flavored chapstick or key chains. We arm the kids (and adults) with flashlights, cover them in a cloud of bug spray, and turn them loose on two acres of hunting grounds. We look forward to it every year.

December 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM

That is so cool! Do you go with them, or is this your attempt to have peaceful time on your own?? LOL

BTW, I add your short story / book on Goodreads today and intend to read it next week after I finish a couple of ARCs. Very excited!

Cammie Adams said:
        December 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Some times I get to join the hunt. We try to rotate who does the hiding each year.

Yay! I’m so excited for you to read it. I’m so lucky to be included in it.

December 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM

When I was hiding things for my kids I used to have to write down where I hid them because I would forget! I used to follow all of the Church’s requirements regarding fasting and no meat eating but I don’t anymore. Didn’t Jesus die on the cross so we wouldn’t have to suffer? Great post again, Jay.

December 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM

I laughed aloud thinking about you scrambling to find things you had hidden! 🙂 thx.

authorsinspirations said:
    December 10, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Well, interesting choice of word. did you know that the Brazilian Carnaval is actually a christian celebration – that has to do with easter? it started as a small celebration for the fasting days to come. Carnival – i think is a bastardized latin word that means lifting meat off the table … or something to that extent.
    and oh, the Easter egg hunting. i’m not a christian, but chocolate eggs were a must in my home.

December 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM

I had heard that but didn’t know a lot. Thanks for sharing! 🙂 what a good way to learn – from friends! 🙂

lghiggins said:
    December 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM

It is funny to see this post with Christmas right around the corner, but I read it and understand the timing. As a Christian, Easter is the most important of the holidays, but traditions like the ones you mention do make for the fun side of the holiday. As a child, I loved the magical dyeing of the eggs. We didn’t have plastic ones in the “olden days.” I rather regret the arrival of plastic eggs and prize eggs filled with money. Fairly crass and introduces a competitiveness that just doesn’t belong in Easter. Why can’t we all just have fun???

December 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM

I fully agree with and support you on the plastic eggs. I much preferred the whole treat of assembling real ones the day before, then finding them hidden the next morning!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM

My husband and I don’t have children, but we go to church and I,love seeing the kids all dressed up.☺️

foodinbooks said:
    December 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM

I always enjoyed the Easter holiday, too. Aside from the redemption and resurrection themes, it was always so fun to color eggs as a kid, and enjoy the nice Easter lunch. As an adult, I focus more on the Good Friday aspect, as we in New Mexico have a tradition of making the Lenten meal on Good Friday, which is meatless, and features New Mexico traditional Lent food such as beans, tortillas, natillas (a vanilla custard), salmon patties, braised greens called quelites – purslane or spinach – red chile, and something called torta de huevo, which is like an egg fritter made from beaten egg white, salt, egg yolk, cream of tartar, and pepper and formed into round patties and fried. All in all, a delicious feast. I may blog about it in 2018. 🙂 Thanks for your great post and for letting me babble on about our Easter food traditions in my state.

December 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM

You’re quite welcome. I think that’s a great dish to blog about. Now you just need to choose a book. I wonder if it should be a children’s Easter-themed New Mexico story! 🙂

anne leueen said:
    December 10, 2017 at 7:53 PM

I grew up Catholic. I always gave up chocolate for Lent. As an adult I ‘went back” to the Church in my 40s and loved the whole Tridium masses and ceremonies. We moved and I did not like any of the Churches near us. So now I do not attend Church but still celebrate the concept of rebirth, redemption and revival.

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    December 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM

I always loved Easter for some of the very reasons as you listed here. I think with any holiday now, it is mainly the family time together that I miss.

December 11, 2017 at 7:07 AM

My daughter loves nothing more than a good Easter egg hunt! When she was little, she’s want to keep hiding and finding the eggs!!

watchingthedaisies said:
    December 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I love Easter and the promise of new growth. It is a special time of year. I sing in our church choir and we are rather busy in Easter week but I love it.

December 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM

I am completely indifferent to Easter, I don’t celebrate it at all. As a child I was brought up very religious as a Methodist so we did the whole church thing but I’ve ditched that completely and now Easter is little more than a few days off work! I don’t even eat chocolate because it makes me sick! 😂
    I did spend Easter in Greece once and that was a blast, they basically have a carnival, street parties and BBQs, I would definitely do their style of Easter again.

December 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Oh, chocolate… that’s all I heard in your response. none of it. 😦 (lol!) Greece sounds great.