365 Challenge: Day 274 – Snow (RYDER RANT)

Snow: powdery dust falling from the sky that I love to lick and roll around in

snow.jpg

I was so excited to hear about the snow this last weekend. I readied myself all week long by taking several rather long naps. I assumed it would be enough to keep me awake when the snow finally fell, but I was wrong. It started falling late morning, but it wasn’t really enough to stick to the ground or to create any real fun outside, so I kept napping. By midday, it looked a bit better, but when I went out, there was nothing picture worthy. By later in the evening, the Dads went out for a music concert and a holiday party at a friend’s house, so I didn’t get to go out in the snow. There was only about an inch or two, so it wasn’t worth it. Can we get some more soon?

I love the snow. I enjoy funneling through it like a seal. I roll around until I get wet and dirty, then I wait at the door for someone to dry me off. I don’t like to be wet indoors, so the Dads must stand there and dry me off — it’s a requirement I tell them. And they do it. I didn’t get to roll around this weekend, but hopefully soon, before I leave for Ella’s over Christmas. They will be heading out of town for 4 days, so I get to go on vacation, too. She has a lovely outdoor space. If it snows, I’ll get to play there. Since we didn’t have any pictures from this time, I thought I’d share one from the winter when we moved into this joint. We were here for about 2 weeks when a blizzard arrived. Those pots were about 36 inches tall (I’m good at math), which means there was close to 2 feet of snow that day. I adored it. I know you all don’t like snow, but I do.

535315_1054847444553411_6363948813932179842_n

I’m from the mountains of Japan. I like to be cold.  I have a lot of fur and this keeps my temperature regulated properly. We shiba inus tend to roughhouse and play hard, especially in the snow or when there’s rough terrain. We’re good climbers and brush dogs. Did you know we were one of the first breed of dogs? We didn’t arrive in the US until a service family brought my breed from Japan in the 1950s, but no one really knew what we were until the 1990s, at least in this country. My Dad got me in 2007 when people started seeing more of my kind, but we didn’t become popular until the shiba inu puppy cam around 2008 or 2009. So, I was sorta one of the first of my kind in this country. Maybe my math’s not so good after all. Oh well… it’s nap time. Dad needs to write. If he doesn’t finish Father Figure this week, I’m going to write it for him. I’m thinking of a new character named Ryder…

I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My debut novel, Watching Glass Shatter, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/WGS. I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.

69 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 274 – Snow (RYDER RANT)

Judy said:
    December 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Just hearing about the bomb in NYC and of course my thoughts turn to you and hoping you’re all right. I don’t know enough about where you live to know how close you are. On a lighter note, Ryder is adorable. Take care and God bless.

December 11, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Hi. I appreciate you checking in. I was reading about it when you wrote this comment. I’m about 15 blocks from Times Square. Port Authority is further west, while I’m to the east of it. Far enough away I heard nothing, but I take that subway most of the time. Scary.

Ryder says hi!!! Take care. 🙂

tylerus said:
    December 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Happy napping, my dear fuzzy friend. May the snow find you soon!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 11, 2017 at 9:38 AM

I’m so glad you’re alright Jay. Thank God it wasn’t worse!

And Ryder- I’m so sorry you didn’t get enough snow. You should come visit me in MA. We have just enough for you to go “snow snorkeling”!☃️

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    December 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Awww! A new character called Ryder, sounds fab! 🙂 Glad you’re ok.

Our snow has now gone… pout.

Patty said:
    December 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Ryder you will have to try and talk him into letting you play in the snow with him before vacation. 😉

December 11, 2017 at 10:59 AM

It looks very cold. It also looks like maybe dad took this picture standing inside the warm house? We don’t get snow where I live so you are lucky!

December 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM

He did… he does come out to play in the snow with me, so I can’t rant about that.

You should visit NY in the snow. 🙂

Kiersten said:
    December 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM

We got a few flurries this weekend. None of it even stuck to the ground and I still couldn’t get Beaker to go outside in it.

December 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM

aww… i wonder what it is that they hate!

Kiersten said:
        December 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM

Beak gets cold pretty easily. He wears a sweater pretty much all winter. I just assume he doesn’t like the cold, wetness on his feet.

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Glad you’re okay.
    I hope Ryder gets his snow play in soon. He really is a beautiful doggie.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Two thoughts today Jay: first my dog loves snow too! As she is white and fluffy we don’t see her in the garden 😉 Second: when do you let Ryder finish your novel? LOL Enjoy the snow!

December 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM

It must be fun to search for in a blizzard! 🙂

I may hand it off to Ryder. I made good progress today, but I know it needs a bit more work.

Beware Of The Reader said:
        December 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Jay I wouldn’t know how to keep a writing schedule! How do you fight the “blank page syndrome”? Or do you never lack inspiration?

December 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I never lack inspiration, but I often lack how to best structure it all in what I’m writing… too much to say at once is just as bad! 🙂

December 11, 2017 at 4:31 PM

I hope you get more snow Ryder, just try and keep it near you I don’t want it falling near me, OK?

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    December 11, 2017 at 4:39 PM

hehehe now that would be funny if Ryder had an input into your books 😉 I actually like snow almost as much as Ryder, which is probably weird, since I’m not built for cold like he is 😉

December 11, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Don’t worry Ryder. Winter hasn’t even begun yet!

December 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Sorry the snow didn’t stick! But you love snow, don’t you? My aunt’s 10 month-old mini shiba seems to hate being in the cold. My aunt said it snowed a bit last Tuesday and they were out for a walk. And Sen (that’s her shiba’s name) was really anxious to go inside! lol The snowflakes did look really pretty against his black fur though!

December 11, 2017 at 8:04 PM

Ryder I know we are in the minority but I love snow as much as you do although I don’t play in it any more because I don’t think that would be considered acceptable behavior for someone my age lol. I’m sorry you weren’t able to play in it. We had a good 5 inches you could have played in if you were in Georgia but it’s all pretty much melted away now.

Jay so glad y’all are ok. I didn’t even know there was a bomb in NYC until I read the comments.

December 12, 2017 at 8:19 AM

Thanks, Misty!

You must not get a lot of snow normally, huh? That’s no fun. 😦

December 12, 2017 at 8:24 AM

No we may get snow a few times a year but usually it only lasts for a day or two.

dtills said:
    December 11, 2017 at 8:17 PM

I love how Ryder is threatening to finishing writing for you! Wouldn’t that be wonderful, I wish my cat would do the dishes when I am sleeping 🙂

anne leueen said:
    December 11, 2017 at 10:03 PM

Hay Ryder! Looks like you have a good fur coat for the snow. We only have a little bit here too. I hope you will get some for your holiday. And as for writing your Dad’s book and putting a character called Ryder? Go for it! bye for now…..Biasini

December 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM

We should write a book from the animals of WordPress, B!

anne leueen said:
        December 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Ok! I’m up for it, i know Anglo-Swiss has a cat that posts every day! BIasini will be posting tomorrow about flying reindeer!

December 12, 2017 at 9:07 AM

now reindeer posts will be a fun one to read!

December 11, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Hi Ryder! It’s me, Murph! There is lots of snow here! Momma was frustrated that I rolled in the snow and came in filled with mini snowballs! You should try it!!💙❄️🐶

December 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM

mini snowballs, throw them at her?

December 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Are you crazy?! She feeds me!

December 12, 2017 at 8:27 AM

She also loves you and wouldn’t deprive you no matter what. Trust me, I know this.

December 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM

But she might take bunnies away…I love my bunnies!

December 12, 2017 at 8:32 AM

I’ll send you anything you are missing. Torturing her is my responsibility.

December 12, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Be careful Master Jay, she is usually all about kindness and fairies and spreading joy, but she does have a Darkside.😬 By the way, where did Ryder go? I was talking to him.🐶

December 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM

He’s eating breakfast. And your Mistress loves when I tease her. It’s part of my charm. We’ll gang up on her together. 🙂

December 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM

You are brave, Master Jay!💙

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    December 11, 2017 at 11:43 PM

Gosh, I didn’t notice the “Ryder Rant” in the title, but when I read “to lick and roll around in” I had a feeling that this couldn’t be you who was narrating. 😀 You write marvelously sir. Lovely piece. I enjoy the heavy amounts of snow us Canadians get, only when I don’t have to fight through it to get somewhere though. 😀

December 12, 2017 at 8:23 AM

That is too funny! Ryder owns Mondays for a bit of fun, and to give me a break from coming up with something too serious or thoughtful! LOL I appreciate the compliment. 🙂 Where in Canada are you?

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
        December 12, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Montreal, Quebec! 😂 Sort of got used to the amount of snow we get during winter now hahah

December 12, 2017 at 8:55 AM

I am planning to visit there sometime in 2018. I miss it. I’ve been several times, but not in years.

mainepaperpusher said:
    December 12, 2017 at 2:19 AM

Ryder, I’m not a big snow lover, but I love that it brings you so much joy. I would guess you have a storm to revel in today. Enjoy dear friend! 🐾 Levi and Walter send waggy tail greetings.

carhicks said:
    December 12, 2017 at 7:07 AM

So glad you got your wish for snow Ryder. Bigg (my Jack Russell) does not feel the same way. He likes the first snow fall, but after that he gets cold and does not like getting wet. Enjoy yourself.

revronbennett said:
    December 12, 2017 at 7:19 AM

I grew up in the mountains and we would get snow as a young boy in November and it strayed on the ground until April many times. It was not unusual to still go to school with 6 inches on new snow just falling.

We would build igloos to play in and snow forts that we snowballed each other from. i even have a few found memories of shoveling our half mile drive way while watching the awesome snow fall. As i have gotten older we go all out to decorate the outside for our families and if it snows it is awesome. The Blue ridge Mountains can be very nice to see in the snow.

December 12, 2017 at 8:27 AM

It sounds like a really fun memory and activity. I love the snow. I drove thru the Blue Ridge Mountains earlier this year, but not time for snow then!

revronbennett said:
        December 12, 2017 at 8:48 AM

I travel a lot and as a child I remember drifts of 20 feet happening often. The mountains can get the lake effect snow bands which leads to snow when others around have none. I have a lot of great memories with snow.