Valentine: an annual holiday celebrated on February 14. It originated as a Western Christian feast honoring several saints, and is recognized as a significant cultural and commercial celebration in many regions around the world, although it is not a public holiday in any country (Wikipedia)
Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose holidays and now we’re in our third week. It feels odd to pick holidays from earlier in the year when we’re approaching the bigger ones at the end of the year, but I’ve of course reserved Christmas and New Year’s for the last two Sundays. This week, I’ve gone with St. Valentine’s Day, but it was a close decision as I wanted to choose St. Patrick’s Day. I felt guilt choosing a holiday where I drink green liquids, so… Valentine’s Day where I drink red things (no, not blood) and add a bit of love to the day. Let’s explore why I love this holiday:
- There are so many wonderfully cheesy movies to watch!
- It’s hilarious to see the way people get so worked up over something that should just be more calm and natural. That probably makes me sound rude, but I don’t mean that I’m laughing at others. I mean it’s one of those commercial holidays where people let themselves feel forced to do something because of what’s happening around them. My advice is to just ignore others and do what you want to do when it comes to romance.
- It’s about love and friendship — not just having a special someone on his or her own. Again, that’s the way I view it.
- I stay home and cook. I will never go out on Valentine’s Day… who wants to be around smooching couples, crazy packed restaurants, or over-priced menus. I’d rather cook a special meal together with the one(s) I love.
- I still get a card from my mom and it makes me feel special!
- Romance is often forgotten, so it helps remind me to put a little extra effort in sometimes.
- Cupid shoots arrows. I wish I knew who made that particular story up!
- I like the color red, even though I do not own a single article of clothing that is read — other than 2 pairs of underwear. I’m not really sure how they made the cut into my wardrobe, but it must have been in a 3-pack I bought at some point. Not sure why I’m revealing this either, but hey… at least I know two things: (1) Roda will now ask me publicly if I’m ever wearing a red t-shirt… ‘do your undies match?’ and (2) Shalini will tease me to find out if I’m wearing briefs… On that note, I’m out of here before my big mouth says anymore!
How do you feel about St. Valentine’s Day? Do you celebrate in any special way?
Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:
- Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
- Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
- Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
- Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
- Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
- Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
- Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
- Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
- Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
- Week 38 – 42: Holidays
- Week 43 – 47: TBD
- Week 48 – 52: TBD
About Me & the “365 Daily Challenge”
I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.
The goal: Knowledge. Acceptance. Understanding. Optimization. Happiness. Help. For myself. For others. And if all else fails, humor. When I’m finished in one year, I hope to have more answers about the future and what I will do with the remainder of my life. All aspects to be considered. It’s not just about a career, hobbies, residence, activities, efforts, et al. It’s meant to be a comprehensive study and reflection from an ordinary man. Not a doctor. Not a therapist. Not a friend. Not an encyclopedia full of prior research. Just pure thought, a blogged journal with true honesty.
Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.