365 Challenge: Day 280 – Valentine (LIST: Holiday)

Valentine: an annual holiday celebrated on February 14. It originated as a Western Christian feast honoring several saints, and is recognized as a significant cultural and commercial celebration in many regions around the world, although it is not a public holiday in any country (Wikipedia)

valentine.jpg

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose holidays and now we’re in our third week. It feels odd to pick holidays from earlier in the year when we’re approaching the bigger ones at the end of the year, but I’ve of course reserved Christmas and New Year’s for the last two Sundays. This week, I’ve gone with St. Valentine’s Day, but it was a close decision as I wanted to choose St. Patrick’s Day. I felt guilt choosing a holiday where I drink green liquids, so… Valentine’s Day where I drink red things (no, not blood) and add a bit of love to the day. Let’s explore why I love this holiday:

• There are so many wonderfully cheesy movies to watch!
  • It’s hilarious to see the way people get so worked up over something that should just be more calm and natural. That probably makes me sound rude, but I don’t mean that I’m laughing at others. I mean it’s one of those commercial holidays where people let themselves feel forced to do something because of what’s happening around them. My advice is to just ignore others and do what you want to do when it comes to romance.
  • It’s about love and friendship — not just having a special someone on his or her own. Again, that’s the way I view it.
  • I stay home and cook. I will never go out on Valentine’s Day… who wants to be around smooching couples, crazy packed restaurants, or over-priced menus. I’d rather cook a special meal together with the one(s) I love.
  • I still get a card from my mom and it makes me feel special!
  • Romance is often forgotten, so it helps remind me to put a little extra effort in sometimes.
  • Cupid shoots arrows. I wish I knew who made that particular story up!
  • I like the color red, even though I do not own a single article of clothing that is read — other than 2 pairs of underwear. I’m not really sure how they made the cut into my wardrobe, but it must have been in a 3-pack I bought at some point. Not sure why I’m revealing this either, but hey… at least I know two things: (1) Roda will now ask me publicly if I’m ever wearing a red t-shirt… ‘do your undies match?’ and (2) Shalini will tease me to find out if I’m wearing briefs… On that note, I’m out of here before my big mouth says anymore!

ksdsdsd.png

How do you feel about St. Valentine’s Day? Do you celebrate in any special way?

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: TBD
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

33 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 280 – Valentine (LIST: Holiday)

Mintly said:
    December 17, 2017 at 3:34 AM

Hope you have a lovely Sunday, Jay.
    I totally agreed with this point- “It’s about love and friendship — not just having a special someone on his or her own. Again, that’s the way I view it.”

December 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Thank you. You too, although it’s probably almost done by now! Hope it was a good on.

Jessica Rachow said:
    December 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM

Haha, this was a fun post. My husband and I never go out either. I’m not waiting in lines for a dinner I can cook at home, stress free. 😊

December 17, 2017 at 7:39 AM

Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays too. Me and my husband never go out on Valentine’s Day either. We usually get each other a little gift and then just spend the rest of the day at home watching tv.

December 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Red undies…you have your Christmas undies all ready to go! You better go buy that red shirt! You would look great in red, by the way!!!

December 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Good laughs! I have to admit that I’m not much of a Valentine’s person. Having a nice dinner at home with my family is how I like to spend the day. ❤ Like you, I'm staying in! 😀

December 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM

I prefer to think that I show my love for my hubby, friends and family on a regular basis, not just one day a year. However, being a card maker, I would love to see everyone send cards at least for that holiday. I have also made a special card for my hubby using candy bars to spell out my message, which is kinda fun. Definitely not a day to put too much pressure on each other!

December 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM

Totally agree. Can you re-send your card link so I can look at it in early 2018. I would like to buy a few from you rather than the Duane Reade!!!

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Twenty years ago I left work through the back door and spied something red peeking out over the top of the Hallmark card store’s dumpster near the parking lot. It was a huge (two feet by two feet) cardboard heart that folded like a book. I scooped it up and ran it home.
    To this day, the huge free-standing cardboard heart greets one or the other of us when we rise in the morning on any special “love” day. Although it lives down in the storage unit for most of the year, it has come with us through five moves. Digging it out and standing it up on the dining table is our Valentines Day tradition, and it likely will be, ’til the end of our days. We have been happily married for more than 42 years, so I guess it works.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Valentines Day has always been one of my favorite holidays, and I agree. It’s about love and friendship, not just having a significant other. That said, I usually try to do something nice for my husband. Whether it’s simply making his favorite dinner, or refraining of forcing him to sit through a rom-com with me.😊

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 17, 2017 at 6:06 PM

Aww. It’s always the season to celebrate the Valentine’s sentiment. Definitely agree with you about staying in to celebrate in peace 😊

Debbi said:
    December 17, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I’ve nominated your blog for the Liebster Award!

http://www.debbimack.com/blog/2017/12/18/post-liebster-award/ That post goes live on Monday! 🙂

December 18, 2017 at 4:36 PM

So crazy fact I was 28 before I ever got a valentine’s card. I’m quite anti-valentines so I think that always radiated off of me. We don’t really celebrate it at all, I don’t remember us doing anything for Valentine’s ever. 😂

Wallpaper HD said:
    February 13, 2018 at 10:06 PM

oh great Wishing you a Happy Valentine Day

ctrl_altar said:
    February 15, 2018 at 10:28 PM

Great post! I don’t why people get so worked up over this day, I think it’s fun. Forget cheesy movies, I put together a fun list of fun internet content to binge for valentine’s. Check it out!https://idlebuzz.blog/2018/02/14/love-stuff-to-binge-on-valentines/