365 Challenge: Day 283 – Hole

Hole: (a)  small or unpleasant place, or (b) where Jay goes when searching for music

hole

Ryder and I had the apartment to ourselves last night, as W had to be out of town for the day. I thought I’d spend a few hours reading and get to bed early, but that didn’t happen. Pitch Perfect 2 was on the television, and I succumbed to the music for two hours, only to drag myself into bed completely focused on recalling various songs from the 1980s. Reading was no longer an option, so I decided to look up a few of my faves on the YouTube app on my phone while in bed. Ryder slept at my feet until I apparently pushed him too far. I was prepared to spend 15 minutes searching, then turn it all off. That never happened… the proverbial rat hole we’ve all gotten stuck in took over! One song led to another, which led to more memories. Ryder abandoned the bed within fifteen minutes and curled up under his own blanket in his own bed. I guess he wasn’t in the mood to listen to my jamming. Though I had gotten in bed at 11pm with a 100% charge on the phone, next thing I knew, it was 1:30am and I had a 13% charge on my phone. I don’t recall anything that happened during those 150 minutes!

I have this occasional habit when I’m home alone of listening to sad songs and power ballads. You name it, I probably listened to it last night… starting with three different versions of Hallelujah. Air Supply certainly figured prominently, as did a few Heart songs. It stayed mostly in the 1980s, but I did jump around a little bit. Adele was the last song before I finally told myself to go to sleep, as I had to be up at 7am to do laundry. Our building is changing over the laundry room provider tomorrow, and we won’t have services for 5 days. Since we leave on the weekend for Christmas, I had to get it done today. All the maids (seems like everyone has one in this building) arrive by 8am to start cleaning, so I had to get to the laundry room first, especially on the last day it was available. I’m my own maid!

Anyway… I realized two things last night: (1) I am easily distracted by music and therefore do not listen to it while I write; however, there were some amazing French songs that I could probably have in the background, as the words wouldn’t mean anything to me nor disrupt me, and (2) I woke up this morning with tons of lines I want to add into Father Figure. I wrote many of them down, but now I need to verify none are from the songs I listened to! I doubt they are, as I basically crafted them as I was pulling clothes from the washer and putting them into the dryer. The words feel original. The point being… both laundry and music led me down a hole in the last 24 hours, but in the end, I came out the other side with some really fantastic improvements to the book.

I call that a hole in one!

{Worst line of cheese I’ve ever used… good thing I’m not a writer! Oh, wait…}

46 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 283 – Hole

December 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM

Love this post! I didn’t know you get distracted by music so easily! How many YouTube videos you watched I wonder? But that kind of things do happen. In my case, it’s Air Crash Investigation type of videos. I love that series and once I start watching, I cannot stop and I always end up falling asleep either on my couch or in my bed lol

December 20, 2017 at 8:28 AM

I’m glad you loved it. YouTube can really suck your time. I think I had at least 50!

tylerus said:
    December 20, 2017 at 7:07 AM

Music has that effect on me, as well, so I don’t listen when I’m working on something. But it’s uplifting and relaxing all other times. Hmm. Think maybe I’ll “hole” up today with a few good tunes. Yeah, what a splendid idea. Thank you. Have an awesome day, my friend.

December 20, 2017 at 8:27 AM

It’s necessary sometimes to let your body re-set it’s mood! Enjoy. 🙂 You too, Happy Holidays!.

Jessica Rachow said:
    December 20, 2017 at 7:15 AM

I do this on a regular basis. I’m the same way – can’t listen to music with lyrics when I read or write, otherwise, nothing gets done. Great post. 🙂

December 20, 2017 at 7:19 AM

And I thought I was up early!!

susandyer1962 said:
    December 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Hahaha great post Jay! I’m a total closet Air Supply fan! Lost in Love is my absolute favorite and now thanks to you will be stuck in my head all day!

Have a great day!

December 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM

Thanks, you too. Sorry, maybe listen to something else too, it will stop the one being stuck. 🙂

December 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM

I am easily distracted by music as well. I cannot listen to music when I am trying to read because the words are a distraction and I just tend to start singing along to whatever’s playing. I am also easily distracted by YouTube. Not necessarily just watching music videos but just all kinds of videos.

dtills said:
    December 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM

We all have our “click bait” diversions from time to time! My hubby can’t resist videos of kittens 🙂

December 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM

You sound like my husband. He does that too. I keep telling him he could do it on the TV so he could see these things on the big screen but he keeps using his phone. I love music on while I am crafting but I could see how it would interfere with writing. Yes to Air Supply and I like Ambrosia too. Sorry for your laundry issues. Mine washer and dryer are right next to me and doing laundry is on my list of to do’s for today as well.

December 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Getting lost on YouTube is my specialty! We are so lucky to have it because of all the old music videos we otherwise wouldn’t be able to see anymore. I absolutely love Air Supply too! My mom made me see them in concert when I was a teen and I was reluctant to go, but it was one of the best concerts ever. Love playing their songs on the piano too.

Very glad you are progressing on the book! It’s so exciting. ❤ It sounds like the distractions were productive too! Have you ever tried classical? 😉

December 20, 2017 at 4:23 PM

I don’t know a whole lot about classical, but I’d be up for some recommendations.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Funny that you could listen to French songs without getting distracted Jay as French is my mother language! But I can’t listen to English songs either without being distracted. I’m just like you when I need to concentrate: no sounds that I could recognize. And listening to sad musics and ballads is sometimes cathartic! If you had a bad day I can cry listening to music and feel better right after. My dog also sleeps on our bed most of the time. She is small but lies horizontally and ends up taking most of the place LOL

December 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Our dogs are identical! I’m glad we share these similarities.

December 20, 2017 at 3:09 PM

How can people not fall down the music rabbit hole? Anybody who doesn’t just isn’t normal in my opinion music is so beautiful even crap music which Adele definitely is btw! 😜

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Oh Wow! The same thing happened to me last night Jay. Well, not the laundry part, LOL! I should have been reading one of the many books I need to review, but instead got distracted by Christmas music videos. I watched: Lindsey Stirling, Pentatonix, and Peter Hollens.🎄

December 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Hopefully you had better sleep last night. I watched the Pentatonix special earlier in the week!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    December 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I do pretty well with music in the background. Sometimes I have to put on solely instrumental music (not necessarily classical – Trans-Siberian Orchestra has a lot of rockin’ instrumentals) so I don’t get distracted by the lyrics!

I deliberately try to stay away from YouTube and Pinterest because those holes are endless, but sometimes you just have to give in (like last night and Netgalley!).

December 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM

instrumental can make things better, I get that. Lyrics would pull me away. NetGalley… you did get yourself in trouble there. I went to look last night but stopped myself. I’m glad there is no ‘cozy’ genre or I’d get it all! How do you search for them?

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        December 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM

I look through the most popular publishers of cozies – Crooked Lane, Midnight Ink, Berkley, and Kensington. 🙂 Or if I have time, I’ll scroll thru all the mystery/thrillers that are available. But you really have to have a chunk of time to do it that way.

December 21, 2017 at 3:41 PM

got it, thanks

December 20, 2017 at 5:49 PM

On an odd note, Pentatonix ended the concert with hallelujah, so that song was on my mind!! But I know what you mean about music. I write to Bach or Brahms. If I have words I freak out!!

anne leueen said:
    December 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM

haHaHa! I enjoy your sense of humor. and don’t you hate it when everyone else has maids. In my twenties my flatmate and I would pile the “needing to be ironed” stuff on two stools in the kitchen. Then for days we would ask :”Where is that ironing slave? I thought he was coming today.” In our minds he was always a “he” and always handsome . But “he” never turned up. So we ironed and ironed and ironed.

December 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM

It’s good to have goals. It would be fun if that happened one magical year, but alas, I suppose it didn’t. Sorry! 🙂

Aman Thakur said:
    December 21, 2017 at 8:11 AM

nice…

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    December 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM

hehe completely relate to listening to power ballads when home alone 😉 And gosh I could definitely listen to three versions of Hallelujah right now…

December 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM

I think you may need YouTube tonight! 🙂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
        December 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM

hehehe don’t worry I have a few versions of Hallelujah on my Itunes and a cheesy melodramatic playlist if I get really stuck 😉

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM

The 1980s is a pretty decent decade to get lost in musically 🙂

AJ said:
    December 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM

I get lost in those holes all the time! Yay for 80s music though- it’s so good:)