365 Challenge: Day 284 – Polish

Polish: to make something shiny and smooth, like a final manuscript

polish

I’ve been writing my posts the night before they are published for the last few days, which made my mornings much easier and quicker. Last night, W and I went out for a celebration dinner for our 6th anniversary, so there was no post writing time. I went to bed much later than usual and therefore didn’t get up as early as normal today. I needed a quick word, as today is the final day before I send Father Figure back out to beta readers. One person tried to distract me this morning with multiple voice messages — teasing me about the many typo issues in my texts last night while I was possibly slightly just a tad little wee bit intoxicated… I blame the cab ride bouncing me all over the place while trying to type. But another person suggested the word ‘polish.’ I quickly went to find a definition and graphic, but it took ten minutes. Google kept thinking I meant “Polish,” as in the nationality of people from Poland. It was quite a laugh and struggle to find something usable; thank you to Claire @ BrizzleLass Books for the 365 Daily Challenge word today. To the one who tried to distract me, you will be punished! 😛

Today I will do a final read-thru of my manuscript before I send it tomorrow to 6 beta readers who will have a few weeks to provide feedback before the editor get is for proofreading. I’ll have a separate post this weekend about the current state, but for now, I’m off to polish the manuscript. I shall see you tomorrow with a very exciting Author Alert on Cathleen Townsend!

59 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 284 – Polish

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    December 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Congrats to you and W on six years together! 🙂 I’m so excited about Father Figure! Good luck with the polishing!

theloyalbritwit said:
    December 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM

When I first read the word I was like “Polish” as in the people? 😆😂 so i guess you could say I have the same mindset as Google! Haha
    Congrats on the anniversary AND the final day before your deadline! Both are very exciting! 😄

December 21, 2017 at 3:42 PM

🙂 Too funny, the words that make language difficult, lol! Thank you!

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 21, 2017 at 4:58 PM

You’re most welcome! That is a kicker with languages, isn’t it? I wonder if I would have got it if I thought of “nail polish” first?

December 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM

possibly… i just wish words only had 1 or 2 meanings… I am so behind on your blog this week. I have to catch up on the weekend before I leave for family trip.

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Yes! Or only so many spellings too…yesh! And no worries on that front, I know this an extremely hectic time of year; the stats show it but I KNOW it 😆 I hope your trip will be spectacular! (And full of snow if you want it, otherwise forget i mentioned it!)

December 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Congrats on 6 years! That is a great accomplishment nowadays. You’ve got some catching up to do with me (I’m at 32-1/2) but I’m older than you so you have time LOL. Looking forward to Father Figure. By the way, when I saw the word I thought polish as in nail polish, so I guess I don’t think like Google.

December 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Thank you! 🙂 I do have to catch up! I’ve never worn nail polish in my life… maybe some day. lol

December 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM

You never asked for a word…how about “dorval”!? You seem to be talented at coming up with highly unique words, after too much celebratory juice! And there was only truth…no distractions what so ever!😂

December 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM

DORVAL = When Roda is mean to you

December 21, 2017 at 4:06 PM

O…M…G… truly my “baby” Bro!

December 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

hahahaha, airing dirty laundry will only get you in further trouble!

December 21, 2017 at 5:47 PM

blah…blah…blah

Patrick Dykie said:
    December 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Congratulations on your anniversary. Best wishes for both of you for Christmas, and the new year. I received your book through Amazon to read on my few days off. I’ll let you know what I think when I’m done. From some of your initial reader reviews, i know it will be great. Take care.

December 21, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it. It’s a bit over-the-top, sometimes like a play more than a book, but the story is very good! 🙂 It’s not for every reader, and I totally understand that. I very much appreciate you taking the chance. Hope you are doing well, too.

December 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM

I’m going to need to text you when I know you’ll be drunk….

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Good luck with the beta read Jay!

authorsinspirations said:
    December 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM

thats great news. i wish i have half your determination to see things through – plus a few more hours in a day. and oh, laugh at this: Polish – as in the people of Poland, is what my reader read me.

rugby843 said:
    December 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Good lyck! I hope they are quick and to your liking. Happy holidays to you and your family.

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM

LOL
    I actually had the very same experience not too long ago. Google just would not give me an image for polish with a lower case ‘p’. Can’t even remember what I needed the image for…

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    December 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Congrats on your anniversary!! 😀

December 21, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Haha! So funny, I could have drafted in my upstairs neighbours for some help for Polish “the country” help they are very lovely Polish nationals. It was great fun helping you choose your word though, hope the polishing is going well. 😉

December 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM

polishing is going well – I took a 10 minute break to clear my head and diving back in now. 🙂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM

Happy Anniversary Jay! Oh God. Next October my husband and I will be celebrating our 30th! I’m getting old!😒

tylerus said:
    December 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM

That’s awesome – congratulations re 6 years. 🙂 (I, too, thought “Polish” – but maybe that’s because 6 months ago I discovered the world of Polish foods and products at a mega-sized Polish grocery store. I’ve been shopping there ever since. Nummm.)

dtills said:
    December 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Lucky Beta readers! Cant wait Jay 🙂

December 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Congrats to you and W on you 6 year anniversary!! Me and my husband celebrated 6 years earlier this year. I can’t believe you are so close to finishing Father Figure already! It seems like only yesterday that you started it. As for the word of the day when I read it I thought Nail Polish but that’s typical of me isn’t it lol!!

carhicks said:
    December 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM

Happy Anniversary. Funny how this word spelled out has two completely different pronunciations and meanings. Our experiences color which one we saw. I just bought Watching Glass Shatter tonight so you have time to polish up Father Figure. Your post made me giggle tonight.

December 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Wow, thank you for the heads up on getting the book. I hope you enjoy it. And I am glad to hear I made you giggle. 🙂

carhicks said:
        December 23, 2017 at 9:46 AM

After all the great reviews I have read, I’m sure I will.

AJ said:
    December 23, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Hope the polishing went well!

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    December 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM

I had completely forgotten about Polish hahah Who would’ve thought that you’d struggle with finding an image for “polish”. 😀 Congratulations on 6 years and hope the polishing went smoothly! 🙂

inspirationpie said:
    February 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Congratulations on six years, Jay! I saw Polish in your previous posts and I thought…wait, I’m Polish too! Gotta read this! Ha…silly me. Have a great day polishing your manuscript. I’m off to revise mine, too 🙂

Jo-Ann

February 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. haha! 🙂 I am so glad you are writing and blogging more now!