365 Challenge: Day 290 – Cane

Cane: (a) the hollow, jointed stem of a tall grass, especially bamboo or sugar cane, or the stem of a slender palm such as rattan, or (b) a slender stick, especially one used as a support for plants, as a walking stick, or as an instrument of punishment, or (c) a name spelled differently

cane

The word ‘cane’ or ‘cain’ has been prevalent the last few days, which made me want to somehow incorporate it into the 365 Daily Challenge. As I’m away with family this week, the posts are a bit shorter. Why this word, you ask?

• We put candy canes up on the tree and in some of the Christmas items all around the apartment, but I never ate a single piece of candy cane! I have a few peppermint items, like chocolate bark, but I didn’t eat a candy cane. I will need to do that this week before New Year’s Day!
  • I love ‘Murder, She Wrote,’ enjoying both the TV show and the books. On Christmas Eve, before we left on the trip, W and I stumbled upon an episode of Murder, She Wrote without Jessica Fletcher. It was news to me that she’d taken off many episodes, which meant another detective was the focus on the show. There was a British insurance agent who walked with I thought I was a cane, but later learned was umbrella. As it resembled a cane, I’m going with it. He took the round handle off, and it had a bunch of devices to pick locks. I need one! No questions, please. 🙂
  • Sugar cane is something we’ve all eaten, but I always realize around the holidays how much I consume. Of course, there’s the 5 pounds we put on at the holidays, resolve to take off in January… blah blah blah… yes, that will happen. But I’m craving sugar this year. I had so many cookies at my mom’s on Christmas, desserts  such as pecan pie and English treats from a friend, then I consumed a small cake for my anniversary, and now I’m eating even more while away. It’s too good to resist. My goal in 2018 — to visit a sugar cane plantation to see how it grows and figure out how to cut down this sweet tooth.
  • I like fried chicken and try new kinds whenever I can. I’ve never eaten at a Chick fil a, so while we were back at the airport again yesterday (they forgot to send my luggage… long story, maybe Ryder will rant about it when I return), we stopped for fast food — another thing I rarely do. We saw a Raising Canes chicken location, which I’ve also never eaten at… since it was more local, we went there. It was delicious, except they only had 1 fryer working, so it took a lot longer than expected.
  • Lastly, Cain, spelled differently, was 1 of the 2 brothers from the Bible, whom we have heard a lot about over the years. The classic good versus evil battle — the nice brother and the bad brother. Brothers were at the center of my year, given the family of 5 in my debut novel. But I’m also an only child… so being around my other half’s family this week reminds me of being part of a large family with tons of brothers or siblings. Always a good thing!

Today’s 5 interpretations of the word ‘cane’ seemed like a good path to go… unrelated but related… words that all mean something different to us. Did I miss any that should be here? I’m spending time working on Friday’s author alert… hope you’ll be excited by this one!

36 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 290 – Cane

foodinbooks said:
    December 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM

This actually made me chuckle, because when I hear the word “cane,” I think of my long-passed away great-grandfather who would shake his cane at us kids when we were being bratty and would threaten to give us a caning…..then 10 minutes later would slip us candy and money. He was really a sweet man, just liked to act as though he were an old curmudgeon. 🙂

December 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM

It’s funny how people like to act one way so others interpret it differently, but they are really the opposite. 🙂

December 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM

While I love minty things, I was never a big candy cane fan. In fact this year I didn’t even buy any. Chocolate mint is my absolute favorite of all time. I grew up with 3 sisters so I never knew what having a brother was like. Sisters are different I think and there were 10 and 12 years between my two older sisters and 5 years between me and my younger sister so it was almost like I was an only child for a little while. My goal was to have 4 kids, two girls and two boys so that each one would know what it was like to have both a sister and a brother. Unfortunately, we only had one son and by the time the last girl came I was too old to keep going, especially since you can’t guarantee what you’re going to get! Glad you are having a good time with your families.

December 27, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Perhaps it’ll balance out with grandchildren in the future 🙂 It’s been great, thank you. I added a peppermint chocolate bread mix to my mom’s gifts at the last minute. I look forward to trying it.

AJ said:
    December 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Wow! I love murder she wrote, but didn’t know there were any without Jessica fletcher!

December 27, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Yes, a few in the later seasons when she was getting ready to retire. Interesting!

AJ said:
        December 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Oh that is interesting:)

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    December 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Because of my neuropathy I walk assisted by my trusty pink cane, so I quite like this Jay. I never shake it at anyone though.😏

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 27, 2017 at 2:28 PM

So you are telling us that you will begin the year with a diet Jay? LOL

tahenryauthoress said:
    December 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Raising Cain? A term that means getting into trouble. LOL
    I never watched Murder She Wrote originally but then when I was older I was watching all the Magnum PI episodes on Netflix and caught the cross over one. Loved her. Had to start watching all the Murder She Wrotes. LOL

The Cozy Pages said:
    December 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM

There are some really well maintained sugar cane plantations throughout the Caribbean. Maybe you can have a quick Winter break to explore one early next year 😄

December 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM

OK, never had a candy cane, seen them in the stores the last few years and they just don’t appeal to me. I’m not a big fan of minty things…except tea!

Cain as a name is awesome, I love it, and always liked the Cain in the Bible…you can see why I never got on very well in the church! But as someone who is one of five children I wish I was an only child! Siblings are a friggin nightmare and the minefield only gets worse as you get older!

Hope you are having a wonderful time with family!

carhicks said:
    December 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM

When I broke my ankle, I had to use a cane. When I bought it, they asked me if I was a senior (l wasn’t) but I got a discount so went with it. I also immediately thought of raising cain. Maybe because i was a rowdy one growing up. Great post Jay.

December 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM

I’ve never really liked Candy Canes. I have 4 siblings. 3 of them are step siblings and by the time my mom and dad got together they were already grown and out of the house so it was only me and my sister and we are 4 years apart. Out of all of my siblings I only have one brother and ever since I can remember I’ve always said he was my favorite sibling lol. I love them all of course.

December 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM

The murder she wrote episodes with Dennis Stanton were fun, but I liked Jessica better!! I have candy canes all over the house too, but haven’t eaten one. I have way better things to use my calories on!!

misifusa said:
    December 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Great post Jay! I always have candy canes on the tree, but never eat them! How odd right?

tylerus said:
    December 29, 2017 at 7:43 AM

What an awesome post. 🙂 Can’t stand candy canes, but then I’m not a big mint fan . . . save for white-chocolate-peppermint bark, which for some odd reason, I find super nummy. Been in cookie mode myself these last few weeks, so yeah, January = d-i-e-t. After all these years, I still don’t get bored watching Jessica F. Have a great day, fellow only child.

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    December 29, 2017 at 3:10 PM

I put fake candy canes up on my tree. 🙂 But real ones sound lovely. Doesn’t Ryder try to eat them? lol

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 29, 2017 at 7:32 PM

I think a woven reed seat on an antique wooden chair is caning. Not sure, though… I just looked it up, and that’s right. We’re just back from our holiday with our children. They all look so happy. Good.
    Happy new year to you, Jay.

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Really? That could be a whole blog post. But I don’t want to describe the train trip, it would sound so whiny.
    Our children are grown, and happy, proceeding with life in an adult fashion. Wow! I guess we’re retired on all facets (that sounds so poetic, I just had to insert it). Time to start the second edit of the second part of my SLEEPING MOOSE SAGA. I have a retired copy editor standing by, and after I’ve rewritten it and checked it and read it aloud and rechecked it, I’ll send it her way for the final look-over with penetrating and fresh eyes.
    At least, that’s the plan.
    But I digress. Happy New Year!

December 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM

I can’t wait to read more. Ah, editing, the pain of life as a writer. 🙂