365 Challenge: Day 293 – 2017

2017: the current year — and a memorable one for me

2017.png

Although I am one day early with my final post for 2017, there is some logic behind today’s 365 Daily Challenge choice. Tomorrow is a Sunday ‘list’ day and the holiday I chose is New Year’s, which means the post really can’t be about 2017. As an ode to everything I accomplished this year — my last official random 365 Daily Challenge post of 2017 — I want to say goodbye to a very life-changing year.

When 2017 began, I was 39 years old, had just completed writing a draft of ‘Watching Glass Shatter’ and was about to start the process of achieving one of my life-long goals — publishing a book. I was afraid of being ‘unemployed’ by giving up (or putting on hold?) a successful corporate technology career just a few months earlier. I was hitting that next decade by turning 40, wondering how I truly felt about myself. I would be putting myself far out there in front of friends, family, acquaintances and strangers. It’s a lot of change at once, but it was also a lot of opportunity. I created a list of items that would be my measurement of success when I granted myself permission to explore this alternative life path. As I come up on the one year mark (February) of sending the manuscript to the first literary agent, I will review and compare how I’ve done. As the 365 Daily Challenge officially ends on March 12th, I will probably hold a countdown noting everything I learned during this time frame.

For now, as I look back on 2017, I am thankful for everything that has happened. For the mistakes I’ve made, the lessons I’ve learned and the progress that’s occurred. A few fleeting thoughts:

• Many people talk about writing a book, but I actually did it. Regardless of its success or failure, this is a huge accomplishment — I am proud of myself. Very few people actually give themselves permission, or have the fortitude, to make this happen.
  • Between the first draft and the one that was published, I cannot possibly explain the extent to which I learned and developed my style and voice. It’s still in adolescence, but I am confident in the growth that is building each day. I see it already with the level of writing in Father Figure, my second novel.
  • Blogging is a way to express yourself, but it’s also a method to grow more comfortable interacting with strangers. By embarrassing myself with all aspects of who I am, I learn how to accept my own faults and to be less judgmental of others. People are different, and it’s okay. You don’t have to like everyone. Not everyone will like you.
  • Unfortunately, there are mean and rude people you will encounter, but they are in the minority — and they serve a purpose: To push you to stay honest, to remain open-minded, and to behave better than them. I’m finding ways to use their negativity to drive my success forward.
  • Change happens every day. Goals are re-prioritized. 2017 taught me how to grow more comfortable with living on the edge when it comes to people giving you feedback on your words, imagination and style. In the end, all that matters is you are happy with what you’ve produced.

I will always remember the year 2017 as a major turning point in my life. I am thankful for everything and everyone — much gratitude to each of you. May you have a wonderful last 24 hours before we start anew…

47 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 293 – 2017

Jessica Rachow said:
    December 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Happy New Year, Jay! So glad to have met you. Congratulations on all your accomplishments in 2017 and may 2018 bring even more success! 🎉

December 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Hi. Thank you, Jessica. I appreciate it and am glad we met too. I can’t wait to spend more time getting to know you and your book in 2018! Hope you are feeling better. Happy New Year.

melaniemolewriter said:
    December 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Happy New Year J! You have accomplished so much this year. I am proud to know you 🙂

December 30, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Happy New Year. I am proud and glad to know you, too. I appreciate all you’ve done to get me there. Thank you. 🙂

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    December 30, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Happy New Year! I hope that 2018 treats you as well as 2017 did! 🙂

December 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM

That would be wonderful! Happy New Year! I hope only positive and wonderful things for you, too.

December 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Congrats on having such a successful year! I’m very glad we connected and I appreciate your friendship. Best wishes for an even better year in 2018! 💗👍😁

December 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Many thanks. Meeting you has also been a highlight this year. Thank you for everything. Happy New Year!

December 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM

So proud of you, Little Bro! 2018 is going to be incredible!! 💚

theloyalbritwit said:
    December 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Well stated, Jay!! And your takeaways from the year have made me happy for you! ☺️ I’m very glad I had the opportunity to find your blog, follow, and share in your successes! Congratulations! Here’s to hoping 2018 will be another great year for you! Cheers. Kelsey. ❤️

December 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Hi, Kelsey! Thank you so much for your support. I’m glad we met and look forward to reading your words each day. Sometimes I fall behind, but I always try to get back to them… I learn and laugh. Happy New Year! Big successes for you, too! BTW… do you have published works? I couldn’t tell from your profile and was curious….

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 30, 2017 at 1:17 PM

I fall behind on yours, too, but always look forward to coming back! 🙂 I don’t have anything published yet…I don’t count anything from high school…I’m working on it! That’s one of my plans for 2018 actually. I think it’s a sign because everyone keeps telling me I need to publish. 😬 I’ll let everyone know if I get published!

December 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I had only asked because I would have loved to spotlight you on my Author Alert Friday, but we can do that in the future. I think you should look at an option for publishing. 🙂

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 30, 2017 at 1:23 PM

That would be very kind of you! ☺️ And thank you for the support. It is much easier to keeping saying you’ll do it; now it’s a matter of actually following through on it.

December 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM

I totally understand that one! Perhaps I can just blog about you one day in early 2018!

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 30, 2017 at 2:10 PM

If that’s what you’d like, I’m okay with that! 🙂

December 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM

we’ll figure it out… as we both get closer to 365 days, we can do something to highlight our next steps!

theloyalbritwit said:
        December 30, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Sounds like a solid plan! I’m very excited for next steps AND 365 days!!

AJ said:
    December 30, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Congratulations on taking all those big leaps!

December 30, 2017 at 12:57 PM

What a great recap of your year, Jay! I am happy I got to “know” you and I am looking forward to reading your next book. Here’s to a great 2018 for all of us! Be safe out there if you party tomorrow night!

December 30, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Thank you very much, Janet. You’ve been a part of my year thru the blog, and I’m glad we’ve met. I look forward to perusing your site next week and getting to know your crafty side even more. I saw a few cards I liked last time, so I will be buying some for gift giving this year! No party tomorrow, we’re staying in. Be safe if you do! Happy New Year!

Atwood Cutting said:
    December 30, 2017 at 1:18 PM

“People are different, and it’s okay. You don’t have to like everyone. Not everyone will like you.” True and helpful words, my friend. It has been a pleasure connecting with you in this, your banner year. And especially thank you for carrying me along with you on your magical mystery tour into the land of social media and modern marketing. The world is richer for your presence.
    Here’s to another great year for you, W, and Ryder!

December 30, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Thank you so much, my dear friend, Kate. Now I can start calling you that in public since your Author Alert post. 🙂 I am very glad we’ve met. I am about to respond to your email shortly, too. Happy New Year!

roseelaineblog said:
    December 30, 2017 at 2:10 PM

You should be proud of yourself not many people would have the courage to do what you have done. Well done Jay. X All the best for 2018, Elaine x

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    December 30, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Happy New Year, Jay! I’m glad we met and got to know each other this year. 🙂

December 30, 2017 at 3:48 PM

You have achieved so much this year and it has been such a pleasure to meet you and experience all the things you are doing. Keep striving for greatness!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    December 30, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Seriously- congratulations on fulfilling your goal of getting your book published!! And it sounds like you’ve achieved so much this year 😀 Hope you have a great New Year!

December 30, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Thank you, I appreciate it. I’ve been very lucky. I learned a lot, know how to improve my writing style and have found my voice. It’s been great. I wish you a wonderful new year, too.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    December 30, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Happy New Year Jay and yes I am in awe with the leap of faith that you took. You are giving your dreams a chance and not many people can say it! Congratulations already.

December 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Happy New Year! Thank you so much. I appreciate it. I am loving my journey. 🙂

Donald McKenzie said:
    December 30, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Happy New Year. Hope that 2018 is inspiring and challenging for you in new and good ways.

December 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Same to you. I appreciate it. Always glad to hear from you. 🙂

Firelands said:
    December 30, 2017 at 9:53 PM

Congratulations on what you’ve accomplished in 2017. Best wishes for an even better 2018! Happy New Year!

carhicks said:
    December 31, 2017 at 6:58 PM

Congratulations on a very successful year. I am glad I found your blog as I have enjoyed it and getting to know more about you this year. All the best in 2018.

December 31, 2017 at 7:07 PM

I appreciate it. I can’t wait to connect on books we’re reading in common in 2018!

January 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Happy New Year!! I am so glad we connected in 2017 and quickly became friends. You have accomplished so much in 2017 and I am looking forward to seeing what 2018 has in store for you!!

January 1, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Happy New Year my Friend — me too, and I can’t wait to see our 2018 accomplishments!

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    January 2, 2018 at 11:38 PM

A brilliant wrap-up of 2017 with great lessons learned and acknowledged. Congratulations again on your novel, James. I’ve only heard absolutely great things about it and I totally think you should be proud to be able to say “I wrote a book.” Here’s to an even better year, sir. Happy New Year. 🙂