365 Challenge: Day 294 – New Year’s (LIST: Holiday)

New Year’s: the time at which a new calendar year begins and the calendar’s year count increments by one. Many cultures celebrate the event in some manner and the 1st day of January is often marked as a national holiday

newyear.jpg

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose holidays and now we’re in our final week. I’ve gone with New Year’s because that’s what happens tonight into tomorrow — and it’s a perfect ending to this holiday list. Let’s explore why I love this holiday:

• It’s a new beginning.
  • It’s a time to remember and reflect.
  • You can embrace change.
  • I love the song ‘Auld Lang Syne’
  • I have a few traditions, like holding money and ensuring the house is cleaned up with no outstanding laundry and a fully stocked food supply.
  • I have fun memories of my father and I banging pots at midnight when I was a child.
  • I live in NYC but will NEVER EVER go to Times Square.
  • I don’t really eat any traditional foods — none are very tasty from what I know of.
  • Watching the BALL drop on the TV.
  • Resolutions.
  • Off from work.
  • The possibility of a whole new approach to things.
  • A truly defining marker.
  • Hope for things yet to come.

I prefer to be at home. I have this weird moment as the ball begins to drop where I want and hope to be perfect starting at midnight… eat healthy, no drinking, say and think positive things, behave, just do everything right! As I get older, I realize that it’s not about picking a moment to change, it’s about incorporating it one by one into your lifestyle in healthy ways. But ever since I was a child, it was always a game to see how long I could hold on in the new year. Now that I’m no longer a child, though at times I like to think I am (ha!), it’s more about that breathtaking moment when the ball drops — to tell myself how lucky I am, kiss the one I love and wish for the brilliance of tomorrow. For me, that’s all about being in the comforts of home, or with a very small crowd, where it feels cozy.

How do you feel about New Year’s Eve or Day? Do you celebrate in any special way?

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: TBD
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

78 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 294 – New Year’s (LIST: Holiday)

Purushothman Vaikkath said:
    December 31, 2017 at 1:02 AM

I with my entire family wish you & your family and friends a prosperous,
    successful New Year 2018.
    May you and your family be happy, healthy and full of energy throughout.

December 31, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Thank you very much. I wish the same for you – Happy New Year 2018! 🙂

foodzesty said:
    December 31, 2017 at 1:43 AM

Jay and Ryder I would like to wish you and your family a very Happy, Healthy and successful New Year. Huge hugs Sophie

December 31, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Sophie, thank you so much for all your support and friendship this year. I am sending a big and hug and happy 2018 to you and your family. xoxo

foodzesty said:
        December 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Your so welcome and Thank you!!! 🙂

roseelaineblog said:
    December 31, 2017 at 4:11 AM

Always keep the child within Jay, that’s what makes life and you so special 😉

December 31, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Happy New Year 2018 to you and your family – thank you for everything this year. 🙂

roseelaineblog said:
    December 31, 2017 at 4:11 AM

Good luck with the diet in 2018 Ryder 😉

December 31, 2017 at 9:24 AM

He came back from staying with the sitter and looks like he’s lost all the extra weight! 🙂 Almost perfect start for 2018 for him. No diet, just careful treats. lol

Mintly said:
    December 31, 2017 at 5:41 AM

Happy new year, Jay. Wish you and your family a blessed new year filled with joy and happiness. I would just relax and chill at home today.

Create Space said:
    December 31, 2017 at 5:46 AM

Great post! I used to be like you…”I want and hope to be perfect” but I’m learning to be happy with my imperfections and now my goal for 2018 is to continue trying to understand and learn from them!…”Wise or Otherwise” my blog post might explain it a little more. Happy New Year and every success with your book!!

December 31, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Hi. Great to meet you, and thanks for stopping by. I followed you just now. Good luck with 2018. I’ll hop over to the blog to check this post out today. Thank you for much – happy new year for 2018!

Create Space said:
        December 31, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Hi James I feel I know you already from your comments on Rodas blog and Christy’s interview/review. Thanks for your follow, I’ll look forward to your visit. I hope something of my content resonates with you and I would appreciate any constructive feedback! Again Happy New Year from Ireland!

December 31, 2017 at 3:00 PM

We’re a close group on WP! I look forward to chatting more. I’ll spend some time this week on your site.

Paula Bardell-Hedley said:
    December 31, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Thanks for all the interesting posts, James – and well done for posting daily. Happy New Year! 😃

December 31, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Hi. You are welcome. Great to meet you. Happy New Year for 2018! Thank you for the kind words.

susandyer1962 said:
    December 31, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Happy New Year Jay!!

December 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Happy New Year! Hope the snow isn’t overloading you already this year… to go from Arizona to this! Wow.

December 31, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Tonight, we will be at a party with some good friends. We are such party animals we will be home by 1235 (friends live in Brooklyn heights) tomorrow our neighbors have today, I will be a bit lazy, reading, working on puzzle, etc, and yes….tomorrow is clean slate!!happy new year!!!xoxoxo

December 31, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Happy New Year, Little Bro! Now get on that plane so you are not late for dinner!

December 31, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I’m in the farm working right now, doing your chores. Where are you? 😛

December 31, 2017 at 9:34 AM

I wish! You are probably still in your PJs drinking amazing Michigan coffee!

December 31, 2017 at 9:39 AM

um… do you have a camera in my apartment? That’s just twisted.

December 31, 2017 at 9:43 AM

I am magical, remember!

December 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM

true

AJ said:
    December 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Lol I’m always home or with friends for New Years. It’s never been a huge holiday for my family. As a kid we worked on a jigsaw puzzle all night and banged pots and pans at midnight and that is still how I usually celebrate:)

AJ said:
    December 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Happy New Year Jay!

December 31, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Have a great night! Looking forward to reading all about your 2018 progress.

AJ said:
        December 31, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Thank you! I always look forward to your posts:)

tahenryauthoress said:
    December 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM

eh, I never felt like it was a big deal. When I was younger I would go along with others who insisted it was the most important blah blah blah. It’s just another evening with a lot of dangerous drivers. LOL. Since I got married my standard has been to spend the evening making dinner with friends and then playing games until we all go to sleep. Maybe that’s 2AM, Maybe that’s 1030. Both are equally good in my opinion.

December 31, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Either is ok! I like to see the ball drop but I am always tired by 11. Happy new year!

December 31, 2017 at 11:55 AM

I love watching the ball drop too but I don’t think I could handle all the crowds. I miss Dick Clark. Sometimes we have champagne toasts but this year I’m thinking not. I spend the evening getting my planners and calendars ready for the new year. We did spend one New Year’s Eve on a boat ride around San Francisco Bay and that was fun but most of the time we are just at home. Hope you, W and Ryder have a marvelous New Year, Jay. 2018 might have to work hard to top 2017 for you!

December 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM

That’s a marvelous thing to say. Thank you. Have an amazing evening! I miss San Francisco!

inspirationpie said:
    December 31, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Happy New Year Jay! I hope you have a wonderful evening at home. We plan to do the same, a few friends over for Chinese food. I like having everything just right and everything done to start the new year off right. I’m a bit superstitious about it! Chat soon! 🙂 ❤

December 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM

It’s the right day to be superstitious. I miss Chinese food! W won’t eat it, so I rarely get to. Lunch every once in a while if I’m on my own. 🙂 enjoy the night with your friends. Happy New Year!

December 31, 2017 at 6:21 PM

I love seeing how you embrace the new year and what you do to celebrate! My family never celebrated new year at all. Growing up we were packed off to bed at our normal times k lyrics to be woken up by the fireworks at midnight. As a teenager I rebelled and started going to parties where I would get so wasted I never saw in the new year because I would be passed out in a corner somewhere (I kid you not!) Then as an adult new years has lost its shine for celebrating but I do like the idea of starting anew and taking on a fresh set of challenges each year which is something out always try to do.

December 31, 2017 at 6:25 PM

I can imagine you doing that… but being passed out in a corner!!! not good. 😦

sibyltowers said:
    December 31, 2017 at 6:52 PM

What a joy Spring personalities are.
    I propose a toast of Cheers to January’s Janus, the two faces of winter.
    Happy New Year, Peace and Good will to Auld Lang Syne and another Rejuvenation!

carhicks said:
    December 31, 2017 at 6:53 PM

I used to go out and party when I was younger, but not for many years. My husband and I watched the shows on TV, and after the ball dropped, kissed goodnight and went to bed. Pretty boring. This year I hope to sit on the balcony at the resort I am at in Fort Lauderdale and watch the fireworks, if I don’t fall asleep. Happy New Year!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    December 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR, JAY!! Have an excellent (and safe) night! 🙂

January 1, 2018 at 11:53 AM

Happy New Year, J! We stayed home and just binged Netflix and had a nice relaxing evening. I’m looking forward to a fabulous year! Best wishes to you and yours in 2018! 💖🎉😁

January 1, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Ever since I was little I have always said I want to be in Times Square for New Years but I know that will never happen. We don’t have any traditions really the only thing we do is usually stay up until midnight because I want my New Years kiss. Although this year we didn’t stay up because hubby has been sick.

January 1, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Oh poor guy. Hope he feels better. And I would unfortunately not join you at Times Square, but you can come by for a drink when you’re done there!!!

January 1, 2018 at 1:55 PM

I went and got him a different medicine yesterday and it has helped so much more than what he started off taking. He’s still not 100% better but he’s a lot better than he was. Hubs would never go to Times Square so that means I will never go either because what’s the point without him really. I’ve been to NY one time a long time ago and I would love to come back.

January 1, 2018 at 2:29 PM

It’s a wonderful city, but the tourist places can truly be hard to see unless you’re totally ok with crowds. I’ll go with you but not on NYE!

I’m glad he’s feeling better.

January 1, 2018 at 5:42 PM

Crowds don’t bother me but they make it extremely difficult to get around in a wheelchair.

January 1, 2018 at 5:42 PM

True… we’d find a way to make it work!

January 1, 2018 at 5:49 PM

I’m sure we could come up with something.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    January 1, 2018 at 2:21 PM

I love Auld Lang Syne too 😀 Great list!!

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Happy New Year to you and your family Jay. I’m quite a homebody for New Year’s Eve as well. Nothing like being cozy in your own home to bring in the new year.

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    January 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Happy New Year! 😆Best wishes for a successful 2018

January 2, 2018 at 7:28 PM

I was told as a child that whatever you did on New Year’s Day, you would do through the rest of the year. So, I ran the dishwasher New Year’s Eve and waited to do laundry the day AFTER New Year’s Day. I sure didn’t want to be stuck doing them all year! My husband and I spent some quiet time together, we had friends over for lunch, and yes, we served Canadian Bacon (A former student sent this to me from a specialty meat company for Thanksgiving, and we froze the whole thing because we were having turkey for Thanksgiving.) black-eyed peas (a dollar for each pea you eat), and cornbread casserole. We had received pastries/cookies from Italy as a Christmas gift, and this made the perfect light dessert with good coffee. We read most of the day and spent an hour watching a PBS documentary. It was certainly the perfect day, and since we did these things on New Year’s Day, we can look forward to more delightful days like this in 2018.

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    January 3, 2018 at 12:06 AM

I too simply stay home in the quiet till the ball drops. I don’t do anything particular for the moment, but I do like the idea of using it as a moment to adopt any new positive changes (even if everyone can adopt such a change any other day of the year). Did you have a bad experience at Times Square or you just simply don’t want to be in the heart of absolute chaos at that moment? 😀

January 3, 2018 at 8:01 AM

I am not comfortable around crowds mostly because it’s too many people. Nothing bad! Just avoid the chaos.

How’s your 2018 starting out so far?

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
        January 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Good, good. Still feel like I’m dealing with the residues of 2017 for now though 😁 By the end January, everything should feel very 2018!

January 3, 2018 at 9:37 AM

ok, good… a little residue is ok, makes for a smoother slide into the new year