365 Challenge: Day 298 – Silence

Silence: (a) cause to become silent; prohibit or prevent from speaking or (b) complete absence of sound

silence

It is incredibly silent this morning as a blizzard (being called a Bomb Cyclone!) descends on NYC (and lots of other places, too). I adore the silence, as it’s when I can truly think without interruption, usually finding little gems of brilliance. In honor of silence, which often makes me quite happy, today’s post is just that — short, simple and essentially silent. We all need those moments and should never be afraid of basking in them when they are for healthy reasons. On the flip side, there are moments when it is not okay to be silent, but that’s a different post. Find a moment today where you can ignore everything but the silence inside you — and see if it brings about whatever it is you’re looking for.

71 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 298 – Silence

January 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM

While I admit it’s silent now….my daughter has a snow day. I don’t anticipate silence…..maybe I’ll send her to your house…….you must be living this weather that I hate!!😉

theanxietyjunkie said:
    January 4, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    susandyer1962 said:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM

Stay safe and warm Jay! We are supposed to have wind chills tonight into tomorrow 20 to 30 below! I’m sure my kids will be off of school tomorrow! No silence for me! Hahaha

January 4, 2018 at 9:15 AM

That might be fun… send em outside to shovel for 8 hours! 🙂

susandyer1962 said:
        January 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM

We have a plow service for the driveway but we do have a small stretch of walkway…….that just might work! Lol❄❄

January 4, 2018 at 9:16 AM

You too. I think NYC closed school today already. The city will be hopping.

Cammie Adams said:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:17 AM

I’m not so much a fan of silence in a room. I feel I’m being punished for some reason. I need background noise at the very least. I do occasionally put earplugs in and listen to myself breathe, I find that weirdly cathartic. I’m jealous of the snow you’re getting, it’s just annoyingly cold here and there’s no fun in that.

January 4, 2018 at 9:49 AM

I’m sure that is no fun. I could bottle it up and send some?

Breathing is scary sometimes, listening to it, I mean. I can’t listen to or feel my own heart beat without getting anxious. But breathing would probably be more comforting…

I’m all over the place today! 🙂

Mintly said:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Sometimes, I found silence and alone in a room can be quite scary though. Most of the time, I would love to play some music. Stay warm.

January 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Thanks. Music is good too. I wouldn’t want silence all the time. Sounds can be too beautiful, I agree!

lou rasmus said:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM

challenge accepted.

Patty said:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Stay warm! 🙂

January 4, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Excellent advice! I unplugged for few days over Christmas and really enjoyed the silence. No TV, computer, phone etc. I did a lot of cooking and had a twelve hour Readathon of my own the Saturday before Christmas. I was amazed at how pleasant the silence was and how restoring it was.

January 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM

You did, I was proud of you for staying away so much. Good job. I wish I could. I might have to go into a non-wifi area! 12 hours of reading – sounds amazing!

January 4, 2018 at 10:02 AM

It’s so ironic that you posted about silence today. I have an extra child this morning and the house is mad crazy. Silence can be so wonderful. 😂😊

I’m excited you’re getting snow, but I hope it doesn’t cause any problems! It’s been below zero forever it seems, but supposed to get up to 16 this weekend. I’m not complaining though! I love winter. I’ll be happy if it stays white until spring. ❤❄ Hopefully you won’t mind having the snow. 😉 Please send a pic of snow in NYC!

January 4, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Ah, sorry for the racket today! 😛 Hope it gets easier. I posted one in Twitter and Instagram just now.

tahenryauthoress said:
    January 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM

I’m staying with extended family right now. 3 kids. Ahhh. Silence sounds wonderful!

Sherron0 said:
    January 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM

I’m going to try silence today, in honor of all you folk in the silent snow. I find that I need silence regularly. Stay warm and fuzzy in your silence up there.

January 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM

It’s quite necessary for me, too. Thanks! I hope your weather is working for you!

misifusa said:
    January 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Loving this snowbomb! All cozy at home, relaxing and enjoying the silence! Enjoy every minute of it!

theloyalbritwit said:
    January 4, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Stay safe with the upcoming storm! And of course revel in the silence. (Did I just make a juxtaposition without meaning to?? Aaah!) 😅

roseelaineblog said:
    January 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM

I love silence too 🌹

AJ said:
    January 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM

I often find that silence when I’m running:)

January 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Yay for silence. My husband sleeps with the TV on so it is going on 24/7. He is hard of hearing so it is LOUD sometimes. Silence is golden!

authorsinspirations said:
    January 4, 2018 at 12:22 PM

I like silence on occasion, but not always. and when it snows here, schools are out and the kids are all home. i don’t know how the ‘silence of a blizard sounds like.

tylerus said:
    January 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM

If only finding silence were that easy (I say as the construction crew next door drills away, LOL). But one can dream. 🙂 Stay warm and safe! It’s going down to -33 with the windchill up here, starting this evening. Speaking of dreaming, think I’ll put up tropical wallpaper. 🙂

January 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM

oh, no, that’s TOO cold. Sorry about the noise next door. Hopefully that ends by 5pm and you get a break! Send a pic of your new wallpaper! 😛

January 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM

🤭🤫

Beware Of The Reader said:
    January 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM

I hope that you are warm and safe in your silence Jay 😉

January 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM

All good, curled up with a good book I just finished. 🙂 How about you?

Beware Of The Reader said:
        January 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM

I went shopping for clothes with my kids this afternoon so now I’m exhausted!!! It’s too warm for the season here and we are waiting for the snow. I hope to curl up with a book tomorrow. Oh yes make it tomorrow LOL

January 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Sounds like a good afternoon is planned. Wonder why you’re not getting that snow!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    January 4, 2018 at 1:54 PM

After a month of all chitter-chattering, laughter, and noises, I am experiencing silence again. Everyone in my family has inbuilt mic in our throat including me, so even we speak normal we sound loud. But that’s what I anticipate every year after spending almost a year in peace and silence of my home alone period at my place in Hyderabad. Stay safe and warm! 🙂

January 4, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Thanks. You too. Sometimes noise is good, but generally, I’m the quiet one hiding in the corner, not speaking. 🙂

Martie said:
    January 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM

As always, a nice post. How is your book doing?

January 4, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Thank You! It’s going well. I’m humbled at how many kind readers and reviewers have taken a chance on a debut / indie author. I’ve had a few painful knocks, but overwhelmingly positive feedback. I just sent #2 to beta readers, so things are looking great. I just need to figure out how to take it to the next level to reach more people.

How are you doing?

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    January 4, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Lovely idea for a post!

January 4, 2018 at 4:41 PM

I was tempted to have an entirely blank post, but thought that might be rude!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
        January 4, 2018 at 6:05 PM

hahaha now that would have been funny! 😉 But I’m glad you didn’t- your post was perfect 🙂

russtowne said:
    January 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM

I too love silence. It is in especially short supply in my home right now with nine relatives visiting and construction workers banging away.

January 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM

I’m not a fan of silence. I always fill silence with music, it’s something that often annoys other people who want some peace and I come tramping in with some heavy metal! 😂 I can’t work with silence either, even when I really need to think carefully about something I need music to inspire me, that being said I can’t stand people noise. People noise drives me crazy.

January 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM

People noise is bad chatter sometimes! Especially loud ones in restaurants.

twogalsandabook said:
    January 4, 2018 at 4:28 PM

Silence can be such a blessing, and without it, how can deep contemplation and reflection occur? Such a timely post, being “Silent Record Week” (until the 7th), which I had never heard of until yesterday! I hope you have an amazing 2018!

January 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Thanks for the interesting piece of news! Happy New Year to you too!

twogalsandabook said:
        January 4, 2018 at 4:58 PM

You are welcome, and thanks! : )

Jessica Rachow said:
    January 4, 2018 at 5:52 PM

Snows found it’s way upstate. You were supposed to keep it there! Lol. I love silence, I do all my best writing in silence.

Stay warm!

January 4, 2018 at 5:53 PM

I’m so sorry! Must have been a miscommunication. Won’t happen again! Hope you’re able to get a cozy night of reading in.

Jessica Rachow said:
    January 4, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Haha. Good! That’s the plan. There is talk of a possible snow day from work tomorrow, but I will believe it when I see it.

Create Space said:
    January 4, 2018 at 6:49 PM

I love silence and love this post!

ignitedmoth said:
    January 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM

This is so true. I love this post! ❤ So many people feel you always need to be talking and have noise around, but sometimes silence is wonderful. Like you said, oftentimes the best moments of reflection and imagination come when there are no distractions and you have time to just soak in the silence and really let your mind wander.

January 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM

We should have mandatory silent periods every so often; it might help a lot of things. I hope your weekend is going well.