365 Challenge: Day 301 – Blanket (LIST: Objects I adore)

Blanket: an object I treasure that has always been important to me (I’m basically Linus)

blanket

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose objects I adore or that have some huge importance to me. We’re in our first week and I’ve gone with Blanket because it may be my most favorite possession. Before I jump into it, let’s start with a story we are all familiar with.

When I was born, my mother received a baby blanket that her mother had crocheted for me. It was red, white and blue, about 2 by 4 feet, and quite soft. As a newborn, I arrived home in the quintessential blue hospital baby blanket, but once I was a few months old, my grandmother’s gift was what I slept under each night. Like my father, and Linus from Peanuts, I was known for always carrying my blanket around with me. (No, I did not also suck my thumb!). I didn’t just carry it with me around the house. I took it with me everywhere. I was obsessed. By the time I was 5 or 6 years old, I’d outgrown it. It wouldn’t cover me up at night, and so, sadly, I needed a new one. I still have this blanket, safely stored in a box in my closet. I take it out from time to time to reminisce, but I couldn’t get to it today to photograph, so no… that’s not the blanket in the photo.

My mom did not inherit her mother’s ability to crochet, however, her good friend, Millie, offered to build a new one. I vividly recall being asked what colors I wanted it to be. I asked for blue. A few week’s later, for a birthday, I received a wonderful gift. It was made for a full-size bed, had white trim and two different shades of blue, and was also quite soft. I traded in my baby blanket, probably crying just a little bit, and used the new one… I carried it everywhere with me for years, including on vacation to the Catskill mountains each summer. When I was 12, we were heading home from the trip after breakfast. I’d eaten something that had ultimately given me food poisoning. In the rush to leave and get home, somehow… I left the blanket in the hotel room. We didn’t realize it until that night when we got home and I had no blanket. Unfortunately, the hotel never found it, so I lost my treasure. I remember crying a few times, struggling to sleep for a few nights. No, that’s not the blanket in the above picture. I don’t have one of it, but my mom does in her photo albums. I used a different blanket for the subsequent months, but then something wonderful happened.

After we returned home, I started dating a girl, Lisa, in middle-school that year (yes, it’s true!). A few weeks later, our families met for dinner to get to know one another. My mom told the story of my blanket having gone missing that summer. Lisa’s grandmother, a big knitter and crocheter, was present. I grew close to her family that summer and fall, and when I went to their place for Hanukkah (they were Jewish), her grandmother surprised me with a new blanket. It was perhaps one of my top 5 favorite gifts ever — that is the blanket in the post’s featured image. I’ve carried that blanket with me wherever I go… college, vacations, weekend trips… all the time. I’ve even wrapped myself up in it to go down and get the mail from the mail room in my apartment building, not caring what anyone thought of me! It’s now about 27 years old and starting to show its age. The small holes are growing larger and weaker. The ends are beginning to untangle just a little. I’ve probably got a few more years out of it, but at some point, I will need to get a new one. Until then…

I treasure my blankets. I curl up on them in the couch. I share them with Ryder. I sleep with it every night. It makes me feel warm and cozy. It has memories of the past. If I were ever forced to leave in a rush and only take a couple of items with me (other than people and pets), this blanket would be on the top of the list. Sometimes there’s a connection we share with inanimate objects that cannot be explained. For me, it’s my blanket… whether it was the one my grandmother made, Millie created or Lisa’s grandmother gifted me, I will always cherish and adore them. Thank you for these special memories and presents throughout my life!

DBF167E2-5398-4BCF-A792-8EB354CD0E9E.jpeg

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: Objects I adore
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

56 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 301 – Blanket (LIST: Objects I adore)

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 7, 2018 at 6:24 PM

I think my heart just about melted after reading your story and then seeing Ryder all lovingly tucked in under the blanket. Really sweet post Jay.

January 7, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Thank you, Nina! I appreciate it. I had to unfollow and re-follow you today… your posts aren’t showing up in my feed! 😦 WP plays games sometimes, so I hope that fixes it. Just wanted to explain in case you saw the unfollow one. :O

The Cozy Pages said:
        January 7, 2018 at 8:08 PM

Ah. No problem at all. I’ve been having some problems with WP too. Some of the blogs that I have set to email post notifications aren’t being emailed to me. That’s how I missed Claire’s post today. I guess these things happen.

January 7, 2018 at 9:15 PM

they do sadly!

Kiersten said:
    January 7, 2018 at 6:29 PM

The doggie and I love blankets also. I have a small fleece TARDIS blanket and a giant, extra warm, squishy blanket. As soon as I get either one out of the closet the dog comes running over, ready for snuggles. 🙂

January 7, 2018 at 6:35 PM

Isn’t is adorable how they love the snuggles? How’s the latest addition doing? 🙂

Kiersten said:
        January 7, 2018 at 6:43 PM

He’s doing great! He loves it here. He and the other animals are getting along well. He loves to snuggle with the dog and I when he’s not running around with my boyfriend’s cat. They run around ALL night and make a mess, but they appear to be having fun. I’m so glad he’s here. 🙂

January 7, 2018 at 9:13 PM

Excellent! I’m sure it makes the days much easier. 🙂

Kiersten said:
        January 7, 2018 at 9:56 PM

It definitely does

January 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Lovely thoughts/lovely memories/ lovely post!

January 7, 2018 at 7:28 PM

Love this story!!

January 7, 2018 at 9:55 PM

What a cute story. I have blankets from when my kids were little and I am a crocheter so I have made a blanket or two myself. Nice memories.

January 8, 2018 at 8:14 AM

Thanks for the compliment. 🙂 I’m hopefully the other 4 in this list will be as strong.

January 7, 2018 at 10:15 PM

This was so heartwarming. I know exactly how you feel and still have my original baby blanket from when I was little. Blankets are so special and help us retain connections and memories. Thanks for sharing your story, Jay. ❤

January 8, 2018 at 8:15 AM

Thank you! I’m glad to have a fellow blanket lover in the midst. I’m already curled up in it on the couch this morning.

Kristin said:
    January 7, 2018 at 10:23 PM

I love this! If my mama ever starts crocheting again, I’ll get her to make you a blanket. She’s not been crocheting much lately because of her arthritis but she always goes back to it eventually. She says no she won’t but I know her 😀

January 8, 2018 at 8:17 AM

That’s so sweet. Arthritis is so painful. My mom is starting to get it and I feel so bad. I hope your mom has more good days just so there’s less pain.

Nicole (Read. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.) said:
    January 7, 2018 at 10:25 PM

Aww what a sweet photo of Ryder snuggled under your blanket! 😊

Crystal said:
    January 7, 2018 at 11:03 PM

I loved reading your story. I have a teddy bear, and a small pillow, I’ve had since I was born. They’re my most treasured things. ❤️

January 8, 2018 at 8:17 AM

It’s so comforting to have those things from childhood with memories. Thank you for the feedback!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 7, 2018 at 11:15 PM

I think this is one of my favorite posts of yours Jay. And that picture of Ryder nestled in the blanket is priceless. Having fibromyalgia and neuropathy, I’d be lost without soft blankets to cuddle in. I have three right now that I love, although none of them have the nostalgia attached to yours. If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend the children’s book, “Owen”, by Kevin Henke. It’s about a little mouse who is very attached to his blanket. I think you and Ryder would really like it.😊

January 8, 2018 at 8:20 AM

Thank you. The cover looks adorable. Just added it to TBR. I may have to stop at a book store to see if they have it, just to flip thru the pages for a minute or two.

I’m glad the blankets help/make it a bit easier, but I’m sorry you have to go thru all that pain. 😦

January 8, 2018 at 4:50 AM

OMG this picture of ryder is soooo cute! i would share my blanket with him too! 😀
    i love blankets as well. i have a lot of them. different colors for different moods. there always needs to be a blanket near me.
    i loved this story and i remembered me how much i missed your posts 🙂

January 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM

Aww, you are too sweet. Blankets of different colors! How do you choose!?!? That’s be so hard, even if it’s by mood. I would want them all on me.

carhicks said:
    January 8, 2018 at 8:20 AM

Beautiful post. I have two afghans, one my Grandma knitted me so it is over 40 years old, and one my mom made me. My dog, Bigg has claimed the one my mom made, but that is okay but I still curl up under the one my grandma made. It has held up remarkable well, although as you said, the holes are getting a lot bigger and the ends are pulling out. This brought back good memories of both of these wonderful women. Thanks.

January 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM

It’s such a wonderful connection of the past and the present, when you know the person (and they are your mom or grandma) who made them. It’s holding up, but I know it’s starting to get more loose. I’m being careful with it, but can’t help at night if I stretch!

Patty said:
    January 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM

I had a blankie too! More like a twin size quilt my grandma made me. I carried it everywhere. Eventually my mom threw it away when I was a teen because it was so worn it was falling apart and she could not patch it up anymore. 😦

January 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM

So sweet!💚

Sherron0 said:
    January 8, 2018 at 10:55 AM

I think I love you, now that I know you’re a blankey guy. 🙂

January 8, 2018 at 1:31 PM

This is such a great story Jay!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I too love my blankets but I don’t have any that have any special sentimental value to me I just love to sit on my couch wrapped up in a blanket all nice and cozy with my dog Shelby.

tylerus said:
    January 8, 2018 at 1:50 PM

A lovely post . . . and a great pic of Ryder. 🙂 (I actually have a blankie – it helps relieve stress. LOL)

Cozynookbks said:
    January 8, 2018 at 10:00 PM

Aw, how sweet. I know how you feel about beloved blankets. A favorite gift I received for my daughter when she was a baby was a crocheted blanket my friend made for her.
    I’m sorry that you lost a treasured one when you got sick.
    It’s amazing to think you have a blanket almost 3 decades old! As I type this I’m under my heated blanket. I love it so much! The warmth is intoxicating. ( :

Mintly said:
    January 9, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Such a beautiful story. It melted my heart. Ryder’s photo went well at the end of this post. Niceee…

January 9, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Thank you. Are you feeling better in 2018? You were having a few days where you weren’t up to your normal self, I believe…

Mintly said:
        January 9, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for asking. Well, you have a good 6th sense. I’m trying to get back things to my normal self.. and you’re right….. Just too many things happening at this moment…

January 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM

big hugs… i am sending you positive thoughts and warmth

Mintly said:
        January 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Thank you, Jay…For the big and warm hugs… It’s really meant lots to me now… Thank you 😊

January 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM

You’re welcome.

inspirationpie said:
    January 9, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Ahhh…a warm blanket! Nothing better. Loved reading this, and Ryder looks so cute all snuggled up 🙂

Still can’t believe the hotel couldn’t find your blanket…something fishy there!

Jo-Ann

January 9, 2018 at 12:18 PM

I suspect someone took it. It wasn’t quite a hotel, more like a cabin place, kinda like the place in Dirty Dancing!

peachfurfleece said:
    May 28, 2018 at 4:23 AM

It reminded or brought up my childhood memories and this blog really touched my heart. very good blog, thanks for sharing it and renewing my childhood memories.

June 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Aww, thank you for stopping by. I’m glad to help bring up good memories. 🙂