365 Challenge: Day 302 – Grandma (RYDER RANT)

Grandma: Ryder’s dad’s mom, and the one who never does anything wrong

grandma.jpg

Hi, it’s Ryder and I need to whisper. I’m writing this post while Dad’s in the shower. I’m in hiding, as I think he might be out to get me. I admit, I’ve been a bit of a pain the last few days, but I never thought he would try to kill me! Let me explain with my view on the events — a very accurate story to anyone who knows me.

I’m a tiny, helpless little creature. I am getting a bit older and sometimes my bones hurt a little. I need to sleep more than usual and it is helpful if someone picks me up to put me on the couch, so I don’t have to jump. I occasionally play in the snow, but not always. Some days, I’m not very hungry, so I don’t eat a lot. Over the last few days, I must have had a cold or not been my normal 100% healthy self. So… I didn’t feel like eating much and I spent a lot of time in my own bed. I may have not taken my morning and evening pills on the schedule that Dad likes me to keep. I know they worry, so eventually I give in and accept the pills. Anyways… yesterday morning, I just didn’t want to take the pill. I refused cheese, apple, yogurt and anything else Dad tried. He pushed it in my mouth one time, I held it for a few seconds, then I projectile spit it across the room. It landed near one of the potted plants. I thought it was funny. So did the other Dad. But shortly afterwards, that’s when Dad 1 tried to kill me! Please call the police. It’s no longer safe here. Have you ever had someone stick their fingers down your throat to shove medicine inside you? He held my mouth closed, even though I fought back. He kept rubbing my throat, trying to force me to swallow the pills! HELP! I think he’s trying to murder me. I need to escape… if anyone can get to NYC, I live at 41………

******************** Then the Internet ‘went offline’ and Ryder was not heard from again for awhile. No one really knows what happened. *****************************

Hi. It’s Jay.  Ryder is out playing with friends and asked me to write his post for him. Let me tell you what that little rascal did this weekend… He’s starting to get some arthritis and probably has more aches than normal in this frigid cold. He’s been curling up against me a lot more, stealing my blankets, claiming it’s too cold in the house. So, I turned the heat up for him as I am nothing but a wonderful, perfect, loving caretaker. He is a monster patient. He refused to take his pills for 2 days, so I had to very gently coax him into eating them yesterday, as he managed to only take 1/2 the dosage the day before. I couldn’t let it go too long without the full dosage, so I had to be the bad guy and force him to swallow the tiny pills, including a doggie tylenol to help with the arthritis.

He hadn’t eaten much and wouldn’t even accept an apple or cheese from me, even though he loves both. It was like I’d done something horrible to him, when all I expressed was love and concern for his well-being. About ten minutes later, my parents arrived and we made brunch. Ryder slowly emerged from his cocoon (he hid in the bedroom away from me) when his Grandma showed up. He played and cuddled with her. He ate several treats, including apples, yogurt, ham (anything she would give him) — it was almost as if nothing was wrong. I’d try to give him a treat, he would refuse it. The other dad just laughs, refusing to be the mean one. I got the cold shoulder from Ryder all day long. Only Grandma could get him to listen, eat, or play. A few lessons:

1. Ryder is spoiled. He likes to play games and torture me.
  2. Dad W is now responsible for pills. I’m officially on strike.
  3. It’s time to give Ryder his morning pill today. He BETTER take it. If not, he’ll be writing next week’s post from the Arctic Circle with a seal as his prison guard.
  4. I love Ryder and will always be the bad one who forces him to take the pills if I need to be. It’s my job to see that he is kept healthy.
  5. Thank you, Mom, for getting Ryder to eat yesterday.
  6. I guess Grandmas (and moms) really are the best!

I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My debut novel, Watching Glass Shatter, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/WGS. I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.

68 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 302 – Grandma (RYDER RANT)

susandyer1962 said:
    January 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Meany!!!! Poor Ryder……he’s so cute! Leave him alone you big bully!!!! Lol

Oh no! Poor Ryder! (Sorry Jay) Ryder, you need to know that your Dad is not trying to kill you. He loves you and worries about you, and only wants you to feel better. I hope you‘ve made up this morning. I’m sending you both tons of hugs!🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

January 8, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Grandma’s and mom’s are the best! Poor Ryder though. 😮 Can the pulls be crushed in some food? I usually stuff vitamins inside a treat for mine, but I know that might not work for Ryder. ❤ I sure hope you take your meds today, Ryder!

January 8, 2018 at 9:19 AM

*pills 😉

January 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM

I think he’s just going it to torture me. For ten year’s, he’s easily accepted his pills in pill pocket treats. 6000+ pills, maybe 5 times ever an issue. So to do in 4 times in a row this weekend, and right now, I did have to hold his mouth closed again a bit, seems odd!

January 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Maybe try the large Canine Carry Outs beef treats. You can just shove in the pill right into the treat. Maybe a new flavor would entice him? ❤

January 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM

That would be a good thing. I just opened a new bag of food. He nibbled on it. He may just have a bad cold or not feel like doing anything. 😦 poor tyke.

shalini said:
    January 8, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Awww. What a sweet post. I know how it is to be the bad one and force meds on others…. Tough life

Patty said:
    January 8, 2018 at 9:23 AM

Poor Ryder. He just needs to gammy time. 😉 Try a banna next time and see if that works.

January 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM

I am sorry, Buddy but I have to side with Daddy on this one! You need to take your meds. 💚

January 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM

although i feel sorry for ryder i am totally on your side jay! you want to keep that little one healthy and in order to do that, you sometimes have to force him. i’m not sure why he refused since the pills are just good for him. maybe he is spoiled. oooooh, am i turning my back on ryder? :O :O is that possible?

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    January 8, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Haha! I’m with other dad laughing, Ryder! I also refuse to be mean to you (Sorry James). ;)) Fabulous post! 🙂

robbiesinspiration said:
    January 8, 2018 at 10:54 AM

An enjoyable post, James. I have this problem with my son who doesn’t want to take his chronic medication so I feel your pain.

January 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Thank you. Oh, the things we try to stop but should just let happen. Hopefully he won’t keep pushing back on it.

January 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM

(your son, I meant)

January 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Hope it is not something more seriously wrong with poor Ryder. Kids can certainly be stubborn at times. Can you make it liquid form in his water?

January 8, 2018 at 2:25 PM

He’s worrying me lately. I think it’s just getting older, but too many little things at once. And the last vet trip resulted in not being able to get his blood drawn. I should bite the bullet and force it, even if he howls, so we know for sure if it’s just little things or something more serious. 😦 Unfortunately, it’s a controlled substance, so I have zero options or alternatives.

January 9, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jay. Is it still so far for you to take him to the vet or did you find one closer? I remember that being one of the first posts I read from you, about taking him to the vet to get his meds. When was that? And yes, bite the bullet or you’ll be beating yourself up about it if something is wrong and you didn’t find out in time.

January 9, 2018 at 12:20 PM

It’s still a bit far away, but that isn’t the concern. I know he needs blood work and it’s so painful for him. I’m being a baby. But I know I need to soon…. he seems better today.

Judy said:
    January 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Memories of my dog eating around her pain pills and spitting them out. Only thing that worked was peanut butter, not smooth, chunky. She couldn’t tell the difference between the pieces of nuts and the pill. 🙂

tylerus said:
    January 8, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Poor Ryder. Poor you. (It’s no fun having to give pets meds or shots. Been there, done that. Felt like the wickedest person on earth. But it was done in / with the utmost love.)

Kiersten said:
    January 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Beaker will pretend to swallow his medicine and then I’ll find them on the floor a day later. 🙄

January 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Ok I’m with W laughing about how Ryder is acting but I’m also with you Jay. Sorry Ryder but he’s only looking after you so be a good boy and start taking your pills.

If our dog has to have any kind of medicine my husband has to do it because I’m a softy and can’t make myself force them to take it. I always feel bad even though I know they need it.

January 8, 2018 at 2:30 PM

It’s one of those life situations we just have to accept / deal with, I suppose. The good comes with bad, and no way to change that.

I appreciate you finding middle ground…. ha! Either we’re all grateful for you, or we’re all thinking your against us! LOL

January 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Oh bless, Ryder really is a teenager! 😂

January 8, 2018 at 7:17 PM

This was so clever, Hon. Hon-James not Hon-Ryder!

anne leueen said:
    January 8, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Ryder…mate….it’s Biasini here. I get it about the medicine. We horses have stuff syringed down our throats. sometimes it is absolutely disgusting. When it’s like that I refuse to swallow it. So then Ma Leueen gets help and one person holds my head up in the air so I can’t spit it out and she rubs my throat to get the medicine down. My eyes spin around and I try to get away but they have usually tied me securely before they start this. Anyway I also get medicines that taste quite good. Ask your dads to get a better tasting medicine. And I hope you feel better soon. I also read the part written by your Dad. Hmm…..sounds ok but I’m a bit suspicious of him. I would have to meet him to make a real judgement. Cheers mate!

January 8, 2018 at 8:50 PM

I think I’m be scared to see that happen to your eyes, poor kid! I will have to be brave like you. 🙂

anne leueen said:
        January 9, 2018 at 8:40 AM

Well Ryder i have found that, most of the time. Ma leueen has my best interests at heart and the bad tasting stuff helps me. BUT i still roll my eyes because humans get freaked out when we horses show the whites of our eyes so it’s a good way to let them know we are upset! Cheers mate!

AJ said:
    January 8, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Yup they are!!! Thanks for the giggle, but I hope Ryder is feeling better!

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 8, 2018 at 8:07 PM

Aww. I really hope Ryder takes his medication and gives you a bit of an ease up. I hated having to give my doggies medicine when they were ill. I’d call up my father to come be the bad guy. And then big coward that I am, I’d hide whenever the vet came over 🙈

roseelaineblog said:
    January 9, 2018 at 2:21 AM

Oh dear, I feel so guilty chuckling reading that, when I worked in a vets many years ago we used to rub their noses when they have the tablet, whilst holding their mouths shut.

DaisyGal @ DG Book Blog said:
    January 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM

I just love Ryder and always look forward to his posts! James, you just never fail at making me smile! =D

carhicks said:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Poor Ryder. My Bigg takes three different medications and fortunately two are liquid. I get the syringe ready and just shoot it in his mouth. I have to use the shove, hold closed and rub throat method for his pill. Of course he always gets a treat after he takes the. His arthritis meds have him jumping on the couch again, but not the bed. You are lucky your dad’s love you enough to give you medicine Ryder.

January 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Poor guy! At least it’s helping some for Bigg. I’m glad to hear that. How did you determine it was arthritis? I’m thinking I need to have the vet check for it.

carhicks said:
        January 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM

The vet. She could feel the tightness in his hips as well as what I told her. His age of course supports it as well. He willbe16 in May.

January 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM

that makes sense, I appreciate the heads up

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    January 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM

Oh Ryder, how did I miss you and I know about the achy bones all too well. Do you think you can consider Dad only wanting the best for you? Have the pills helped you at all, why wouldn’t you want to take them? I know sometimes it’s just tough to have somebody else’s will forced onto us, but better comply instead of getting the finger down the throat. He is clearly stronger than you. Be well sweet Ryder.

January 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM

Oh, if only he met you! LOL I hope things are going a bit better than last time for you. Well, I want them to be a whole lot better, but I know things take time.

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        January 10, 2018 at 10:52 PM

Thank you so much Jay. Things are pretty much unchanged and issues still will need to be sorted out with a solution that needs to be found. Thank you so much for the kind message awhile back and for thinking of me. You are a true friend and I appreciate more than you know. Hugs

January 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM

You are very welcome. Life is all about having a few good moments, even among those living far away. Words sometimes make things easier. 🙂

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        January 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM

I couldn’t agree more Jay and I’m grateful for it. Thank you for adding to Jose moments for me.

January 11, 2018 at 6:20 PM