365 Challenge: Day 304 – Pantry

Pantry: a small room or closet in which food, dishes, and utensils are kept

antry.jpg

I was on the phone yesterday with someone who shall remain nameless, as I wouldn’t want to embarrass this person. We were discussing something about my eating habits, and somehow the word pantry came up. We had a fun disagreement about whether the word meant room or closet. One of us was adamant that it referred solely to a room where all the kitchen items are stored; the other firmly believed it meant the cabinet where things are stored. We bantered for a bit, then it was suggested that should be a word for the 365 Daily Challenge. Not one to back down… I immediately woke up thinking about it (and not whether my underwear matched my clothes — that should give you a clue as to who this person was who foolishly attempted to win a battle with me). Hence… today’s word is pantry, and the definition is clearly listed above. Apparently, it can be both the room and the closet. Mystery closed. Or is it?

It got me thinking about pantries… when I lived in the suburbs, I had a larger kitchen (and house), where I could store back-ups of all the key food items and supplies. Now, I keep only the major items in the hall closet, and the necessary food back-ups in a cabinet in the kitchen — I do not have a pantry. I guess that tells you which side of the coin I was on in this disagreement. I miss having the extra space and saving a bit of money buying in bulk. In prior homes, I did have dedicated food/supply cabinets or closets, but I never had a pantry. I always think of a pantry as something in a big estate house, or from the movie and board game Clue. If you can be locked in said pantry, then I think I’d consider it a pantry. In this pantry, I’d keep tons of ingredients to make very moist cakes. But there should be no moisture in the room, or the ingredients will no longer work properly.

As you can see, I’m a bit snarky today, as same said person mentioned many times that the word moist was an awful word. I know many people feel that way, and I humbly apologize for using that word in today’s post. It’s only meant to bother a single, solitary, specific individual, as when I texted to say ‘Good Morning’ today, this person responded by asking if my clothes finally match my underwear — do you see how I am tortured? Anyways, I digress, almost as bad a Ryder Rant day. Do you see a difference between the word moist and the word moisture? I personally feel if you dislike one of those words, you must also dislike the other. This other person is fine with the word moisture, but nearly threw a tantrum over the word moist. So many oddities out there… how about the concept of a pantry? Is it a room or a closet for you? And don’t try to play the middle game… if you’re going to respond about it, pick a side!

Psst. This was all true, but in humor. Not meant in a mean way. PERIOD.

74 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 304 – Pantry

January 10, 2018 at 10:01 AM

A pantry is for food. Period! Unless they make a big one for you, with a nice lock on the door! Then, I will adjust my thinking. Although, you could be good for something to eat, which comes back to the fact that a pantry is for food! Period! And by the way, your undies should match your clothing!

mrhushhush said:
    January 10, 2018 at 10:03 AM

LOL! I’m not sure what it is, but I suppose there’s a VAGUE difference in moist in moisture. There’s something about the way moist ends that seems a bit deduced with the added -ure. I feel silly sitting her saying them aloud to myself.

As for a pantry being a room or a closet, I’d probably have to side with closet–though I have seen quite a few pantries large enough to be considered a small room. haha.

ps. Sorry to hear someone’s nagging you about the whole underwear matching thing. Sounds like a mom or significant other. Personally, I don’t see the point in them matching other clothes since underwear are, well, UNDER everything. But, to each their own.

Hope all is well Jay!

January 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Too funny! I can see you saying them aloud. That’s the beginning of regular talking to oneself, I believe.

As for who said it… he or she will probably out themselves in a comment — and it’s ok, we always have a good banter going on. As for the underwear thing, I could care less what color they are in comparison to my clothes. But now it’s getting a bit under my skin, so I find myself thinking about it. Torture!

tahenryauthoress said:
    January 10, 2018 at 10:21 AM

A pantry should be a room. You should be able to walk into the space. I have a sad little step child to a pantry. Very large cupboard with roll out shelves. You’d think in a kitchen technically the size of my first apartment, I’d have a real pantry, but no. sigh.
    What is wrong with Moist? yes, it brings up unpleasant ideas. It is a very apt word. I think it’s brilliant. You know exactly where you are with moist, what the person means.

January 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM

I think of a pantry being like a butlers pantry, which means you actually have room to store stuff, as opposed to what I have which are Kitchen cabinets and they basically hold nothing…..which is why, after the gym, I’m going to Whole Foods……because my cabinets hold staples and nothing to actually eat for dinner unless I want rice, olive oil and balsamic vinegar….

January 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM

And how are your undergarments?

January 10, 2018 at 11:27 AM

this made me laugh 😀 things, people disagree about hahaha 😀

roseelaineblog said:
    January 10, 2018 at 11:34 AM

It’s a room or space for food, when I was young I once banged out pantry door shut locking my mother in there by mistake 👹 the pantry had a large stone slab inside and was somewhere to keep food cool before refrigerators were invented. Gosh I’m showing my age now 😊

roseelaineblog said:
    January 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Regarding undergarments we were always told we should wear good underwire in case we got run over and had to go to hospital in an ambulance 🚑

roseelaineblog said:
    January 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Underwear

January 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM

I’ve never lived in a place big enough to have a room as a pantry so I have to side with just a cabinet. PLEASE don’t tell me that is a picture of your pantry as it is way too organized and I am jealous. I have a shelf full of “extras” that don’t fit in the cupboards in the kitchen but it is with my business supplies so I don’t think that classifies as either. Matching underwear to clothes, sometimes but I at least try to match top underwear with bottom (TMI ?) and only because it makes ME feel good. You’d have to be a pretty close friend to get to see that side of me 🙂 Oh, and moist? I can see the reaction but I’ve never given it much thought before. I usually say wet or damp.

January 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Not TMI. It’s still PG-13!

It is NOT my shelf. Mine are not nearly as organized, although I do have all the glass jars filled with the baking ingredients. But that was my other half’s and my mom’s doing — not me. I’m more a throw it in the kitchen cabinet, shut the door and pray it doesn’t hit you in the head the next time you open it kinda guy. Only in the kitchen tho… everywhere else is super organized.

January 10, 2018 at 3:23 PM

I have cabinets like that too and sometimes I lose the battle and get hit on the head. My husband sometimes tries to organize things but then I can never find them. We have different opinions on what goes where 🙂

January 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM

separate kitchens might work! 🙂 I’ve only ever been hit once where it hurt. Usually I duck in time. The other half, not so lucky.

Judy said:
    January 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM

I like tiny homes, except they don’t have room for a pantry. Someday, I’d like a home with a proper pantry, next to the kitchen. I’d store foods like like spices, away from the heat of the kitchen, potatoes and things that need a dark space to stay fresh longer. Bottling jars as they’re used. A butler’s pantry would be amazing, which would include a place to store dishes, pans, and other stuff needed for the kitchen.

rugby843 said:
      January 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM

That would be my choice too. I used to have a closet where I kept pantry items but it also held the phone. Great for kids who would use the phone while shutting the door for privacy. Later we built out the kitchen and added large low cupboards for pantry items. As for the underwear, I only match if possible if I’m going to the doctor. Matching clothes? I don’t lead that exciting a life that anyone would care : ))

January 10, 2018 at 2:01 PM

I love your honesty! I can see kids sitting in the pantry to talk on the phone — kinda like the TV show Roseanne.

rugby843 said:
        January 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM

I used it to, an escape route!🌸

January 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM

That sounds like a very nice dream. I hope you achieve it. I bet it would smell delicious and look very inviting.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 10, 2018 at 1:19 PM

I lived in an old 1800s house while in college which I shared with three other roommates. It had a small pantry off the kitchen which was slightly bigger than your average closet. I loved it because it was easy to organize and you could see everything right there in front of you.

As far as the word moist goes, it has unpleasant imagery attached to it, yet it also has nice ones. For example: I like brownies to be moist, not dry.😊

And finally, as long as my underwear doesn’t have holes, I’m not too fussed over whether they match.😊

January 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM

You know I’ve never really thought about if a pantry is a room or closet. To me it’s just a space to store food that’s larger than kitchen cabinets. I know you said to pick a side but oops this is what I think of it lol. I don’t understand the aversion to the word moist but to each his/her own. Also I don’t get why underwear need to match your clothes. For the most part you are going to be the only one seeing them and if you don’t car then it doesn’t matter. Loved this post Jay so funny and I have a guess of who She (he) is.

January 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM

He or She is a dangerous one! I will consent that underwear should be in decent shape, as you never know when you might lose your pants or someone may see them!

I can allow only you not to take sides today, as you were an immense help earlier on a few items, so I must be fair.

January 10, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Haha 😂 I agree they should be in decent shape but as far as them matching the rest of your clothes I don’t agree with that.

Aww well thanks I really appreciate that!!

January 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM

She is not dangerous what so ever!

January 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Dangerous in a good way, like the 80s song by Roxanne!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    January 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Lol, that was funny! I’m on your side in this case. Pantry a small room with all the kitchen items. In offices the area with coffee maker, fridge, microwave and also tables and chairs is also called Pantry and I don’t think it’s cabinet size!! That person who hates ‘Moist’ word is going to hate me. 😉

January 10, 2018 at 4:20 PM

OK pantry is a room for food. case closed.

Moist. That’s so funny I saw a meme about that recently, I need to find it and send it to you. I love that word, it has all sorts of warm and gooey connotations. You can tell I write romance! 😂

January 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM

Thank you! A pantry is for food. A closet is not for food. Someone puts “his” food in the closet. Why can’t that someone just call it a pantry!?!?🤪

January 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM

You two are in cahoots.

January 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM

Two amazing ladies will win every time!

January 10, 2018 at 10:11 PM

I agree. I will just close down the blog tomorrow and give up. Goodbye, All!

January 10, 2018 at 10:12 PM

You will not!

January 11, 2018 at 2:18 AM

Exactly! I also think of pantries as being a grand old house thing. They don’t build them into houses in the UK anymore, so anything built in the past 50 years is unlikely to have one.

January 11, 2018 at 6:51 AM

I love old homes! So much character! So much food to store in the large pantries!

misifusa said:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:01 PM

Pantry is a small room off kitchen, much like a closet. I grew up in an old home with a big pantry off the kitchen which back in the day (way before me) was the summer kitchen. I don’t care either way about moist…and you match your clothes to your undies? I do too sometimes! LOL

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:49 PM

I have a cupboard that serves as a pantry. What I would like is a whole but tiny room to serve as a pantry!

carhicks said:
    January 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM

I love silly arguments, as long as they do not get too serious and upset anyone. Of course, they absolutely can not become personal or they are not silly anymore. That said, I think a pantry depends on the person and the usage. I do not have a pantry. I have a cupboard beside my fridge where I store food stuffs, but it is so small I would never call it a pantry. When I go to my timeshare in Florida, they have a closet like room where the stacking washer/dryer is and one wall is shelves. I put my extra foodstuffs there as well as my griddle, crockpot etc. I call that my pantry when talking about kitchen things and the laundry closet when I am doing laundry. You say potato and I say potahto. Always good to laugh in the morning.

January 11, 2018 at 8:25 AM

I couldn’t agree more with your response — perfect way to keep it light and fun! 🙂

anne leueen said:
    January 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Hello “snarky person” Having taken a look at the other comments I can see that all commenters are too young to know what a true pantry is. Or maybe the pantry as I remember it only existed in the England of my childhood. A pantry was a small room big enough to just walk into. It had an opening to the outdoors with net ( to prevent flies coming in) over the opening. This allowed cool air to come into the “pantry” so some foodstuffs could be kept their ( butter, cheese, certain leftovers etc) It has shelves for plates and utensils as well. That is how I remember the “pantry” but I have not seen one like that for decades and I’ve never seen one in Canada or the USA. And as for the “moist” vs “moisture” discussion. No comment!

January 11, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Perfect ending to your response!

I would love to tour a few English homes to see what the pantry looked like. I’ve seen it on TV, but that’s different. I want the in person experience. I don’t think I saw them in the Cotswolds when I visited there.

anne leueen said:
        January 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM

They should be in episodes of Downton Abbey or some other period drama. I’m not sure they have them anymore but perhaps in some of the stately homes…?

January 11, 2018 at 8:10 PM

I won’t be in England anytime soon, but if I plan a tour, I will definitely look into this.

Manuela said:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:39 PM

My pantry is also my storage closet. Whoops! I did exactly what you told me not to do. 🙄