365 Challenge: Day 307 – Instinct

Instinct: (a) an innate, typically fixed pattern of behavior in animals in response to certain stimuli or (b) what your gut says

instinct

There are moments in life when you tell yourself to push beyond the instinctual behavior that generally guides your actions. Sometimes you can accept a different feeling or approach, but not always — and even when you do, you may not fully engage to see a different result. It is when you reflect back on your decisions and determination that you often see how accurate your instincts can be after they’ve been a natural part of who you are for so very many years. But if you choose to always rely on them, you might not ever experience a necessary revelation.

My instincts have been on high alert in regard to several decisions and trust over the last few months. I remind myself each day to take chances. It might pay off. It might not. If I listened to my instincts today (as in this morning, this moment), and followed through on what they tell me, I might be listening to fear rather than opportunity. I doubt I’ll cater to them right now, as I can see why the voice is louder in the current period — and that’s a good thing. Recognizing the parameters under which you originally developed your instincts is necessary before unequivocally accepting them as concrete guides to evaluating your options and making your decisions.

I’m more vague and philosophical than usual today — it’s something I usually contain in my open words; it’s underdeveloped thoughts, musings of a sensitive soul, a way to ponder what comes next. Nothing’s wrong or bad. It’s simply good to think outside the box (or even forget there is a box, if you recall a post from about two weeks ago) at times… there  should be a balance each day to relying on instinct versus random decisions; we must learn to use it wisely and evolve the process we use to achieve each goal.

26 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 307 – Instinct

shalini said:
    January 13, 2018 at 2:46 AM

I believe in instincts, I use them frequently but sometimes, using the instincts means opening myself and I just don’t want to. Do I make sense?
    Taking the weekend off, just for myself. More laters

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM

It is a pretty vague area, that place where you decide if to follow instinct or be guided by logical processed thought. Each has their place. Instinct has guided me to wonderful experiences and deep thought to others. And then there were the mistakes 😂
    All part of life.

January 13, 2018 at 7:20 AM

Good word. I’m a huge believer in instinct.

Cammie Adams said:
    January 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM

You’re right. There are two types of instincts, heart and mind. At times, they are completely opposite paths, giving me that feeling of being “torn.” Other times, usually the times I act without considering the outcome, when heart and mind are in sync.

January 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Your last line says a lot… natural versus random, how it all comes together… good stuff

AJ said:
    January 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Sometimes it can be tough to balance listening g to your gut with taking chances that might pay off. I hope it all works out in your favour.

January 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM

So deep today. Making me think on a Saturday!

January 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM

It was actually a post for earlier in the week, but then something came up and I had to re-arrange, but I had set it up for auto this morning and just let it go!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM

This is thought-provoking Jay. I’ve had mixed results going with my instinct. While at times it’s panned out, others haven’t. I think my judgement can be skewed at times due to certain things that happened during my childhood. Okay. Now I’m rambling. Sorry. Anyway, I think your right. You can listen to your instincts, but not let them be the sole reason why you act.🤗

January 13, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Good advice. You’re not rambling tho. I understood. It’s been one of those weeks… Ryder took a big turn for the worse and I have to quickly get him off his anti-seizure medicine and on to a new one. Poor thing has been drugged up, completely disoriented, shaking. And I can’t do anything for him until this all transitions over a week. I knew something was wrong tho, so glad I got the blood test. I am hoping it will get much better soon. Will keep you posted. Sorry to vent! Been offline a bit the last two days, but he’s resting now, so trying to catch up some.

January 13, 2018 at 3:58 PM

I think always trust your instincts…you have really good instincts Jay and you’ve made good decisions because of them. Go with that. Thinking of you.

January 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Thank you. Sorry I haven’t responded all day… been offline focused on Ryder. will message tomorrow! 🙂

January 14, 2018 at 5:35 AM

I figured as much. I’ve been busy as well so no worries. 😊

anne leueen said:
    January 13, 2018 at 10:31 PM

Interesting post. As I have got older I have learned to trust my instinct or “gut” more and more. It has seldom been wrong.

January 14, 2018 at 9:01 AM

That’s a good feeling, to know your mind and body are in sync.

January 15, 2018 at 6:22 AM

very good post jay! i totally rely on my insticts and listen to them. of course i take risks too, but regarding mayor decisions in life, i do what feels right! 🙂

January 17, 2018 at 4:47 PM

I’ve never regretted acting on “gut instinct.” The worst that can happen is that you’ll get laughed at. Just laugh with them (at yourself).