365 Challenge: Day 308 – Bottle (LIST: Objects I adore)

Bottle: Bailey’s Irish Cream two friends drank during college, where life started to get easier, and I will always remember the fun times

image1 (2)

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of 5 Sundays, I chose objects I adore or that have some huge importance to me. We’re in our second week and I’ve gone with bottle because of the treasure you see in these pictures. It’s an empty Bailey’s Irish Cream bottle from 1996, the last week of college during my freshmen year. I’ll explain more later, but of course, as I was only 19 at the time, I didn’t drink anything that evening. I participated only in the conversations and not the imbibing! 😛

I’ve mentioned two things in the past: I’m an only child and I am very shy. I was even more shy 20 years ago. After a decent freshmen first fall semester adjusting to a new life, I found myself considering changing colleges to stay at home, rather than live on campus two states away. My family convinced me to return for the spring semester and give a full year a chance. So… I did. And it worked out. I met a fantastic group of guys, and joined a fraternity. I also met a fantastic group of girls in a sister sorority. Friendships bloomed and everything was feeling great. I finally became a full brother after the pledging period ended, completed my final exams and had a few day before my father could pick me up on the weekend to head back to Long Island for the summer. I had met two girls (they were graduating seniors) and grew quite attached as friends. Everyone else left for home for the summer, but I had the extra few days… luckily, the senior class was around for another week until their graduation. I was staying to say goodbye.

One night, we sat on the front porch of their sorority house for several hours, just talking about life and our goals for the future. It continued for 4 or 5 days in a row, sometimes til 5am. Anette was going back to Finland. Gina was returning to New Jersey. I was going to miss all my new friends, but these two were quite special — especially since they were graduating and I knew it would be hard to keep in touch once they started teaching and working in the business world, while I was still in college for three more years. Our bond would be tough to maintain given the distance… but they did something a few days later which made it all the more special and long-lasting. They gifted me the first bottle from the first hour of the night we hung out, as there were many more bottles of other things after that — not that I had any, of course!

There are phrases on the bottles that are obvious, and there are some that were just the ramblings of a few drunk people. But it will always be in my memory as the beginning of when I pushed myself to be comfortable with new people, to take chances on friendships and to trust others. While we will still send an occasional message on Facebook, we’ve all moved on in our lives, but if I could ever transport back to a time in my life for a few hours, I’d pick one of those nights to discuss our hamburger theory, to listen to someone telling me to grow a backbone or to dance the macarena together. Life was simple. Grades and classes. Nothing else mattered besides our time together.

I’ve had this bottle for over 20 years. It’s moved with me to California and back. It’s been on my bookshelves and locked away in a closet for safe-keeping. I often pick it up to remember the days of my past. Sometimes to laugh at us them for going from tequila to wine to beer to Bailey’s Irish Cream all in the same night. Other times to just feel that connection. Thank you, Gina and Anette, for being one of my first amazing college friendships, and giving me this permanent reminder. xoxo

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: Objects I adore
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

35 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 308 – Bottle (LIST: Objects I adore)

delphini510 said:
    January 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM

What a heartwarming story. Mementos like that means a lot and don’t let anyone tell you it is clutter. It is precious.
    miriam

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Late night college conversations. Some of my favourite memories too. For us it was a bottle of rum!

Beware Of The Reader said:
    January 14, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Thank you for sharing this moment frozen in time with us Jay. You even succeeded in making me nostalgic and I wasn’t there 😉 Happy Sunday!

January 15, 2018 at 9:17 AM

You are welcome. I’m glad to hear. It was a wonderful time in my life.

January 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM

Great story, Jay. When we went to Freshman orientation with our daughter (who was born in 1996!) for college they told us that there would be peaks and valleys, especially in that first year of living away from home and that we should be strong if our daughter said she wanted to come home, not to let her. Good thing your parents made you stay. Have you thanked them? (Sorry, that was a mom question). Being a memories keeper, I certainly applaud you saving the bottle. What fun that time must have been. Thanks for sharing it with us.

January 15, 2018 at 9:18 AM

You’re welcome. I’m glad they’re still pushing it at college – small risks / trust / leaps to stay.

And yes, I’ve thanked them! 🙂

rugby843 said:
    January 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM

I liked this a lot. Keep the bottle. Those memories are important.

twogalsandabook said:
    January 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Great story! And great stuff in the bottle too! (My favorite!)

tylerus said:
    January 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM

A lovely post. To embrace nostalgia, good times, fond memories . . . time in a bottle (literally). 🙂

January 15, 2018 at 9:19 AM

what a lovely message… and time in a bottle is a beautiful song, thank you for that reminder.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 14, 2018 at 3:08 PM

What a wonderful story Jay. Thank you for sharing it.😊

January 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM

😀

January 14, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Wow, that is a pretty awesome story. I’m so touched by this!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    January 14, 2018 at 4:07 PM

What a lovely post and such a cool keepsake! I think your friends were amazing to make that for you 😀

January 14, 2018 at 4:55 PM

This is sweet! I l loved you kept that bottle for all these years despite number of moving you may have had over time. Sometimes there are things that you just can’t part with. Thank you so much for this post, I really this!

anne leueen said:
    January 14, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Yes! keep this bottle it holds such good memories. I once learned that Bailey’s Irish Cream was invented by an ad agency who had offices on Wardour street in London. They were assigned to make a drink that would appeal to young people by an Irish whiskey maker. So they tried various combinations of coffee, cream whiskey etc and arrived at something they thought would work. They presented it to the whisky maker who said they liked it too and set about making a concoction that could be bottled, preserved etc. They told the ad agency people to come up with a name. They looked out of their office and the pub across the street was called Bailey’s . Well, I was living in London when I read this story in the Observer and I presume it to be true. Anyway….keep your bottle.

January 15, 2018 at 9:21 AM

This is a rather big assumption, but you seem to know almost everything! I always enjoy your comments and feedback, as it makes me think and I l learn all at the same time. Thank you for that story.

anne leueen said:
        January 15, 2018 at 12:34 PM

When you get to my age you will have a morass of interesting and occasionally useful information too!

January 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM

awwww, this is amazing jay!! ❤ i also always keep something that reminds me of the awesome times! it's great that one object can bring back so many good memories 🙂

carhicks said:
    January 15, 2018 at 6:26 PM

My husband called me a packrat because I kept momentos (I have a can of Billy Beer) but I still have them. What a great story, thanks for sharing.

January 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM

What a lovely keepsake! My husband has a brick painted with the names of students in white-out that was presented to him by the first calculus class he had taught. When they would complain about how hard the course was, he would say, “Brick City; look for the brick!” It was a catchphrase that showed he had no mercy or sympathy. LOL He had followed this particular group of high school Algebra students as their teacher from the beginning and taught them their math all the way to senior year. Some outstanding math whizzes came out of that group, and they credit My Better Half with their successes.