365 Challenge: Day 317 – Journal (LIST: Objects I adore)

Journal: books I’ve been writing in for 30 years

IMG_3226

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of five Sundays, I chose objects I adore or that have some huge importance to me. We’re in our fourth week, and I’ve gone with journal because of how many I’ve collected and used over the years. Ever since I was about 6 or 7 years old, I’ve written in journals. I have over 40 at this point, mostly stored in boxes or bottoms of cabinets. I pulled out a few that were easy to access, to share some of the covers or initial pages. You’ll see various dates, mostly from the 1990s in this batch.

IMG_3223

A few are focused on poetry…

IMG_3224

Some you can actually see the beginnings of Watching Glass Shatter last year.

IMG_3225

Below is one of the first adult ones when I graduated from high school.

IMG_3227

Each person who gave me the journal (as I don’t ever buy my own — I want them to be special and attributed to someone who supported me over the years) has a short note on the cover page, thanking them. I cherish these, often flipping through them to see what I was thinking at any given moment in time. Some days it was revealing a secret crush. Other days it was a line I thought too beautiful to forget.

I have moved more towards electronic in the last few years, but I still keep journals to write in script or cursive — whatever my hand and mind choose at that point in time. Someday… perhaps I can combine them together as the ‘best of’ and publish a new book of ‘early thoughts!’

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: Objects I adore
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

52 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 317 – Journal (LIST: Objects I adore)

January 28, 2018 at 6:43 PM

This is so inspiring! I’ve always wanted to journal so my kids can read about our adventures when they’re older. Not sure which is best, paper or electronic? You have really nice handwriting too. ❤ Neat post. 😁

January 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM

Thank you. My handwriting has gotten worse over the years.

I think you should do both. Start out by pushing yourself to write ten minutes a day when you first wake up or right before bed, whichever works easier for you. As you get in the habit, then figure out the electronic way! 🙂

But in truth, you have so much on your blog, too! 🙂

January 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM

I think I’m going to push myself to at least start. It seems like every time I do, I end up not continuing because of time. So many things happen that I want my kids to remember though. I’ve just used Word in the past. Is that what you use?

You’ve inspired me. Thank you. ❤

January 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Yes. I use word. I think it’s a great idea. You could setup a template so the format and layout works for you. 🙂

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    January 28, 2018 at 6:48 PM

I live looking back at my old journals. I was the same way where I had journals given to me. It’s funny to look back on some of them. I can’t help but sometimes think “what was I thinking??”

January 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM

Yes! Were we just a tad crazy or indulgent? LOL I often think I was just immature!!!!

thebookwormdrinketh said:
        January 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM

The funniest thing is that one day in the future we may look back in journals from NOW and still be shaking our heads thinking “… What was I thinking??” Lol!!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 28, 2018 at 7:09 PM

I’ve tried journaling on and off over the years but have never been able to stick with it. Maybe I should give it another try.😊

delphinethebabbler said:
    January 28, 2018 at 7:10 PM

OH my goodness – this is soooo amazing. I’m a hefty journal gal myself but no where near as serious and devoted to it as you. I tend to write off streams of consciousness and at random moments of the day.
    I really love how you devote your writing to a certain topic each week, I’m totally inspired now. 😀

January 29, 2018 at 8:29 AM

It’s such a fun process. I’m sure you’ve got some amazing sections and you haven’t even realized it. Go re-read! 🙂 Sometimes I am not as organized, tho, so it can be totally random, as well.

January 28, 2018 at 7:40 PM

I have a Journal off and on since I was a kid but I never stuck to them and I ended up throwing them away. Last year I started bullet journaling and I haves loved it. I also keep track of other things in different journals but for some reason it finally stuck for the first time last year.

January 29, 2018 at 8:30 AM

I’m glad it worked out! Now you can take photos of them and save rather than throw away! 🙂

January 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Yeah I have no desire to throw them away anymore. Hopefully I will have them forever and I can look back on them when I get older.

anne leueen said:
    January 28, 2018 at 8:57 PM

An actual, hard copy, written on in pen is such a charming idea. I go to equestrian events that I am covering for my blog and I sit here with my journal book and a pen. I also take photos with a big lens so iI am not always sitting down at the work tables. The rest of the media are mostly youngsters who all have their pads and tablets out and are tip tapping away. I just make notes that will be memory joggers when I get home. I like the idea that there are still people in the world who have journals and write in them.

January 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM

I need to feel that connection to words when I write them sometimes. My journals in the past were split between random personal thoughts and stories. Today, more stories.

I’m sure you’ve got quite a collection between all that you photo and have the places you’ve been with riding. Very exciting – do you ever go back to re-read?

anne leueen said:
        January 29, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Yes sometimes I do. I also keep lesson journals for my riding and I do like to look back over those. Also last year I workd over the winter season with a sports psychologist and I am now going back to read my journal notes from those sessions to prepare for a competition at the end of February.

January 29, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Good luck. It’s a month away but it’s better to hear it multiple times. 🙂

anne leueen said:
        January 29, 2018 at 5:11 PM

🙂

January 29, 2018 at 12:52 AM

Wow! Have you been keeping journals since you were 6 or 7?? Impressive!! I used to keep journals in English during my time in junior college (a hot American teacher suggested I should lol), but I stopped writing journals after graduation. Thanks for sharing such amazing journals, Jay 🙂

January 29, 2018 at 8:32 AM

Thank you for reading my post. 🙂 It’s always fun to keep a journal. A hot teacher, ha! I love your stories. 🙂

January 29, 2018 at 8:37 AM

Hahaha! It worked as a great motivational push!! 😀

mainepaperpusher said:
    January 29, 2018 at 4:21 AM

I love journals, too. There’s nothing quite like pen on paper, is there? ❤️

Paula Bardell-Hedley said:
    January 29, 2018 at 6:49 AM

If there’s one thing in life that I love almost as much as reading, it’s making lists. I’m a journal-keeper, too. Really enjoyed this piece! 😊

January 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM

Yes, yes! I don’t write every day but I do have several journals going most of the time. One is more personal, day to day type stuff where I write about what’s happening in our lives. The others are more soul searching where I try to figure out WHY the stuff is happening in our lives and how I really feel about it all. It is kind of interesting to go back to the older journals and find out nothing much/everything has changed. Great post, Jay, thanks for sharing more of you.

January 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM

You’re welcome. :). I just got home and found your card. Thank you so much. That was very sweet of you. 🙂 xoxo

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    January 29, 2018 at 5:05 PM

This is awesome, Jay! I wish I was better at journal keeping! I’ve just started getting back into it a few months ago and so far have only written about a passage a week. I really look forward to having stacks like this to reflect on later in life. Great word pick!

January 29, 2018 at 5:16 PM

It felt like the right one, as I tried to bucket the last two ‘objects I adore’ list. 🙂 I can’t wait to see what you post in the future with all your journals!

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
        January 29, 2018 at 5:56 PM

I can’t wait to write about my reflections! Isn’t it crazy reading about things you’d aspired for in the past, and now have achieved? So awesome!

January 29, 2018 at 6:35 PM

🙂

January 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM

I adore journals! I have my first journal from 5th grade! It has Garfield on the front.
    I have numerous journals going right now. A Beekeeping journal, a gardening journal, a journal for thoughts… There is something about handwriting and sketching that is magical to me!

inspirationpie said:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:51 PM

Loved seeing your journals, Jay. I tend to be hot or cold with journalling. I am either journalling all the time or skip a few months with nothing. I’m so inconsistent! lol

January 30, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Thanks. I think writing in them whenever is great tho, so even if it’s not regular or consistent, that’s totally okay!

Cozynookbks said:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:19 PM

Truly impressive. You never cease to amaze me.

February 3, 2018 at 8:34 AM

I LOVE journals…love to give them as well as receive them as gifts! One of my favorite things to give is a “Quotes journal” and of course, I’ll fill in the first two or three pages with some quotes from MY quotes journal to start the recipient of the gift off.

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    February 4, 2018 at 8:38 PM

This is pretty cool. I want to keep a nice collection of journals too, but man.. My handwriting don’t look good though hahah Thanks for sharing yours though. They look awesome and have served you well!

February 5, 2018 at 7:24 AM

Handwriting changes over the years. I once had neater script, but now I can barely stay on a line. It’s one of the only ‘sloppy’ things I do, but it’s just how it is. lol Thank you.