365 Challenge: Day 319 – Immensity

Immensity: the extremely large size, scale, or extent of something

immensity.jpg

After a month of taking a break from writing while beta readers reviewed the last draft of Father Figure, my second novel, and processing through a few emotional weeks, I plan to get back to work this afternoon on my revisions and edits. It’s important to take a break when your mind needs to recover. Although not an immense revelation, it is an eye-opening one when you know you need to allow time for rest among creativity.

While I was searching for the journals last weekend, I stumbled upon a collection of poems I wrote in college (twenty years ago). I may have posted a few on my site in the past, but this one was always the starting point for me; it’s also the one poem I’ve written that I usually can recite verbatim without reading it off a screen or printed paper. When I read the actual words from the journal this morning, I smiled at my own revelation… part of the title of my first book came from this poem — and I hadn’t even realized it.

Since my creativity today needs to focus on starting the edits so that I can finish Father Figure in the next two weeks, I choose to post an old poem as part of today’s 365 Daily Challenge. Some may see this as a painful poem, but for me, it was always about recognizing a reality and finding a way to accept a path. I hope you enjoy it…

***

The Immensity of a Revelation

There’s something I just realized

That I never knew before.

I can’t explain the reasons,

But I know that I want more.

Have you ever wanted something,

But were too afraid to ask?

So you wrestle within yourself,

Finding it quite an abstract task.

With every hour that Maneuvers on,

Truth shows me what I want.

I search for what it finds,

Looking in the wrong places.

I don’t ever want to be alone.

Do I have to dream forever?

Like glass shattering into pieces,

Will I then begin to vanish?

I need to taste the Passion

Of having what is mine.

Even though it’s so easy to hold,

I settle for things unkind.

Thus I question “Was I wrong?”

I decide no longer to move on.

Life has given me this sentence

I must follow – despite the pain.

Why won’t I let myself go after it?

Why am I stuck with such a curse?

Why can others make things happen?

Why do I sit back and to my wounds just nurse?

I don’t pretend to know the answers.

I’ve learned I am only here to suffer.

And to realize that Truth

Will never be mine.

31 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 319 – Immensity

LA said:
    January 30, 2018 at 10:07 AM

❤️

melaniemolewriter said:
    January 30, 2018 at 10:10 AM

How interesting to find poems that you wrote so long ago. Maybe a book of your poems next J? 🙂

January 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM

I’m not sure I’m that good! I’ve only got about 15 or so… maybe one day! 🙂

Beware Of The Reader said:
    January 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Beautiful lines Jay !

January 30, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Enjoyed it immensely. “I need to taste the passion of having what is mine” and “Why can others make things happen?” Yes.

January 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM

How fun! 🙂 BTW, I rated your products on Etsy

January 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM

not sure how it takes to show, but if I can find a way to leave a longer review somewhere, I will

January 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM

I woke up to a notice about it this morning! You are so kind to say such nice things. FYI I got 89 views on my blog the day you posted Smile. That’s double my previous high for one day. I also got about 10 new followers. My Etsy site got more traffic that day too, although no sales yet, but that’s not the point. I’ve told my family it is my 15 minutes of fame. Thanks again my friend!

January 30, 2018 at 1:52 PM

I’m so glad it make a positive impact… hopefully many will convert to sales soon. 🙂

January 30, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Loved it Jay!! I have a hard time interpreting poems usually but not with yours.

authorsinspirations said:
    January 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM

i like it. it has depth and meaning – and heart.

roseelaineblog said:
    January 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM

How ironic that you have the words shattering glass in your poem 😳 great read J

Michelle said:
    January 30, 2018 at 1:59 PM

The last line seems reminiscent of your blog title as well. Beautiful poem.

Carrie Rubin said:
    January 30, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Creative breaks are important, for sure, especially after a new book release. Promotional efforts take so much energy that it’s difficult to find the time to write, let alone feel like creating. Good for you for taking a break. Best of luck with your new WIP!

anne leueen said:
    January 30, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Nice one! so many of the thoughts expressed are familiar to me. Thanks for posting this!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    January 30, 2018 at 8:13 PM

This is quite powerful Jay! And I love how you not only have the title of your first book in it, but also that the last two lines tie into the name of your blog.🤗

January 30, 2018 at 9:34 PM

I wish I could take credit for being creative, but it honestly just happened. Thank you 🙂

thewisegreek said:
    January 31, 2018 at 3:15 PM

I relate to your poem in some aspects, instead of just moving forward to get what I want I just settle for things that are just enough to survive on. I think we lie to ourselves a lot and we keep telling ourselves we have to do this or that because of this system or that system. Although in reality the only voice we have to listen to -the only voice we DO listen to- is our own voice.

February 3, 2018 at 8:49 AM

This is quite a deep poem; if I knew you from a small boy, I would probably like it even more and be able to interpret it better. HOWEVER, I like it especially now because it is open to many interpretations and therefore applicable to many parts of many people’s lives. It is interesting how you used the image of glass shattering, for that is the fact emotion carried by your novel as the Glass family shatters. BTW, I love the cover of the book–it is very special, almost makes you feel what is about to happen in the book. Thanks for sharing the poem. It is worthy of a revisit.

February 3, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Sometimes you just know me. 🙂 I appreciate your analytical side as much as your friendly side. I tend to wear my heart and my mind on my sleeves, as they say. Sometimes I come across cold/removed, but in my words, never.

February 3, 2018 at 9:41 AM

I have NEVER considered your thoughts/posts cold or removed…not even reserved. With you, it’s pretty much what you see is what you get and “open”. That’s my “take” on you, anyway.

February 3, 2018 at 9:52 AM

I’m closed up in person! something about the written word makes it easier.

February 3, 2018 at 9:06 PM