365 Challenge: Day 320 – Boredom

Boredom: the state of feeling weary because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one’s current activity

boredom.jpg

When you pay attention to boredom it gets unbelievably interesting.” Jon Kabat-Zinn

I sat for 15 minute this morning staring at my computer screen attempting to choose today’s 365 Daily Challenge word. I have posts for tomorrow through Sunday already drafted (still need to proofread and format), but today I couldn’t summon anything valuable. I thought about how I’m feeling right now, and the best way I could explain it would be to say I’m bored. Before anyone starts to pass activities and tasks to me, it’s not that I don’t have anything I should do. It’s that I’m really not mentally in a place where I can or want to do anything that I should be doing. It’s rather indulgent of me, and I admit it. My only saving grace is that nearly every other day of the year, I work extremely hard, am very focused and dedicated, and push myself to do as much as possible. So… a breather every so often seems acceptable.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I felt like I’d lost my purpose after Ryder died. Everyone’s comments and advice have been quite helpful; I’m appreciative. As I settle back into a routine, I find myself doing things a bit more haphazardly than in the past. I applied to several corporate / technology positions and went on an interview this week. I’m not sure I know if it’s because I want to go back to work, I need to keep busy, I am just testing the waters or I’m experiencing a bit of boredom. I love writing and I am very close to finishing Father Figure, which will be a great accomplishment. I have the outline completed for the Ethan Glass short story. I’m pondering the detailed plot and scope of the Watching Glass Shatter sequel. I also have a few other stories floating in my head, which are beginning to form and gel into something I find quite interesting. But in truth… I think I need a bit of a challenge somewhere else right now. I need to learn or focus on how to improve something so that I feel a momentum in knowledge.

I typed ‘boredom’ into a Google search. A few quotes were returned. I found the one I included above quite apropos. Jon Kabat-Zinn is an American professor of medicine, but that’s all I really know about him. Paying attention to the boredom is important. I think that’s what I should be doing this week — to see how often I find myself unsettled or uncertain. Although I’m sure everyone understands, I’m just thinking aloud right now. I’m not truly bored, as there is plenty to accomplish between now and March 17th; my target goals to complete Father Figure, Ethan’s short story and the 365 Daily Challenge. I’ll be on a birthday trip that week, then finalizing my two-week May trip to London and Italy. There will be time in between that I perhaps should be something to shake up the state of boredom I’m describing. We’ve all been there, whether it’s a ten-minute mental relaxation technique or weeks of doing nothing to re-set our mindsets. Sometimes it even just helps to say it aloud — and recognize the interesting things you can learn in and among it. That’s all today’s post is… a random release of fleeting thoughts!

48 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 320 – Boredom

N. N. Light said:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:23 AM

Great thoughts here, Jay. I wouldn’t call it boredom but rather a transformation. I love that you need a challenge and are going for it. Try new things, see what happens. There’s a lot of opportunities waiting for you. Don’t forget to take time for yourself, to rest and to heal.

Michelle said:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Change is hard. Especially one you didn’t want to experience. It’s smart to recognize that and be kind to yourself.

shalini said:
    January 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Hi Jay, I don’t think this is boredom, it is just that brain is overloaded. Give yourself a break and just be with yourself, if that makes sense.
    If you are really bored, then I don’t have any advice to give as I don’t know what one should do in boredom. I am never bored so no idea.
    There are times I am disconnected with everyone and everything, that only happens when my mind is totally stressed so it stops feeling. People says heart has feelings, it’s actually not true. The brain has centres for emotions….
    P. S. Is this too much!? Am I off topic?? Again??
    I have to add this, since it is me,
    Do I have to de-brief you????? Hahaha😂😂
    P. P. S you have all the posts already drafted from Wednesday to Sunday?? Who are you? Man or robot?

January 31, 2018 at 1:07 PM

I appreciate it. We chatted off of here, so I’m only going to respond to the P.S. items. You’re on topic. You were brief. And I am a machine. I type while I sleep apparently.

shalini said:
        January 31, 2018 at 1:10 PM

I am always briefed, the question always is – are you?? Hehe..
        I bet you might just be sleepwalking and writing a post then back to bed. Or the elves might be doing it. 5 posts done for the week wow … You are an automaton… (Yp I like sci-fi)

January 31, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Ha! Automaton was one of the 365 words last year. And I thought you were going to sleep after we chatted? LOL

shalini said:
        January 31, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Yes… Just about to.. Couldn’t resist…

LA said:
    January 31, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Great post!! Take your time!

Patty said:
    January 31, 2018 at 11:11 AM

I’m sorry you are feeling out of sorts. But it sounds as if you have some exciting things on the horizon. London and Italy! I so wish I could fit in your suitcase. I have always wanted to go there. Tell Claire hello for me, if you visit with her. Be sure to take a selfie. Good luck with the job search. Sending hugs your way.

January 31, 2018 at 1:09 PM

It will get better. Come along, the more the merrier! Claire and I will definitely be getting together. We will take lots of pics to shock the blogging community when NYC and London meet. 🙂 Thanks for the hugs and good thoughts. I finally caught up on posts today, saw your hump days. Yay!

Patty said:
        January 31, 2018 at 11:25 PM

Glad you enjoyed. Wish I could go. I will be looking for pics. 😍

tahenryauthoress said:
    January 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM

oh no. I was away and just heard about Ryder. I am so sorry. It can be unbelievably traumatic to lose a family member. Big hugs!

Create Space said:
    January 31, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Great honest post full of introspection. You have and are facing change and that takes time to readjust. Treat yourself kindly just like you know you would treat a special friend. Nurture yourself.

January 31, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Good advice. I’ve been slowly getting back to a schedule, and today I am focusing on my novel edits. It’s helpful and distracting, but not too stressful either. 🙂

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    January 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM

I hope you will find your peace of mind again. Your decisions are not non-reversing, so you can be trying what would make you feel better again.

January 31, 2018 at 1:23 PM

I don’t remember the last time I was bored, if ever. I think it’s interesting that you are considering going back “out there” to work. I can tell you that in my personal experience, the thrill lasted about a month. Then I realized it was just a job. I love the quote though. Sounds like you are paying attention to it. Continued positive thoughts coming your way.

January 31, 2018 at 5:54 PM

It is just a job… I always forget about Michaels… perhape someday the Etsy site will take off.

The Cozy Pages said:
    January 31, 2018 at 1:54 PM

I would diagnose you simply with “restless brain syndrome”. On a related note, I hope a sense of normalcy returns soon for you.

thewisegreek said:
    January 31, 2018 at 3:05 PM

I think boredom is a good thing, it lets you know when your mind wants to do something else for a little while.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    January 31, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Well Jay I hope you won’t stay bored out of your mind for long!

anne leueen said:
    January 31, 2018 at 8:30 PM

It is always seen as a bad thing to be bored. We are supposed to motivate ourselves to not be bored. However I believe there is a time and a place when boredom is appropriate. Recovering from a shock ( Ryder) is one of those times. Boredom can be healing in a way. Depends on the individual I suppose.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 1, 2018 at 4:35 PM

I know right now is rough Jay, but you have some wonderful things on the horizon. Your book and short story. Your birthday trip. London and Italy! Things will get better.

misifusa said:
    February 1, 2018 at 9:26 PM

Sending healing hugs. It’s a part of the grieving process. May things get better for you every day as you heal. ♥

moorezart said:
    February 2, 2018 at 3:30 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

February 3, 2018 at 1:00 PM

I have never allowed myself to be (or at least to admit to being) bored. Maybe I need to….

One Lovely Blog Award – The Cozy Pages said:
    February 10, 2018 at 8:26 AM

[…] @This is My Truth Now is just plain awesome and talented. If you’re not following him yet, you’re missing […]

Fizzy Pop said:
    February 11, 2018 at 8:28 PM

I often find myself ‘bored’. Not for lack of things to do that interest me (as well as many that don’t). I think boredom is more about finding a new balance. I do this thing because I like this thing but I”m not interested in this thing right now. Finding myself with a lot of boredom usually brings new changes to my same old routine.