365 Challenge: Day 323 – Paint

Paint: to cover the surface of something with a colored substance that dries to leave a thin decorative or protective coating

D24AF032-ED2F-442E-99DD-9F93E9372A7F

I have absolutely no talent when it comes to painting, but I know someone who does. I’m always in awe of a person with this talent, but when it is a friend–who feels more like family–it’s special. When that person goes beyond your expectations and surprises you with a custom painting to match your book cover, it’s undeniably amazing. If you haven’t figured out whom I am referring to, then let me uncover this beautiful artist: Roda from the Growing Self blog that many of you already follow. If you don’t know her or the blog, click the name to get familiar with an inspirational and passionate woman who has shared so much with many of us about her life running a farm, a family, and a dream in Michigan.

If you want to check out her art website, you must visit Artistically Roda where you will see not only this painting, but several others she’s created over the last year(s). Roda has an amazing approach to how she builds layers and designs her art, even sharing this process on her site. I was utterly shocked when her painting arrived in the mail, as I knew she was doing something special for me, but I never guessed how wonderful it would turn out. I moved the painting around a few different rooms in my apartment before hanging it, as I wanted to see where it would look best. The colors worked in most rooms, but it seemed to pop best in two places. I decided to wait on hanging it until after the holidays when all the Christmas decorations had been taken down. In early January, it found it’s home in the central spot of the apartment — the hallway where I cross through all day long. It’s between the bedroom and kitchen, which means I see it each time I wake up and walk into the main part of the apartment and before bed when I go to sleep.

56DD1D0F-77D6-442D-A1B0-D620F28EDBE6

I adore this painting, but I adore my friendship and connection with this wonderful person even more. I’m grateful to all she’s given to me this year, especially the camaraderie we feel when referring to one another as Big Sis and Lil Bro. Thank you, Roda, for this perfect gift and for being one of my greatest treasures in 2017. And when I think of the word paint, it means so much more… to paint the beauty of life, to paint with inspiration, to paint the fabric of a shared connection… to paint the words that bond.

45 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 323 – Paint

Beware Of The Reader said:
    February 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM

This is such a fantastic gift Jay! I love art in all its variation so of course I will visit her site. I love art. Thank you.

February 3, 2018 at 9:51 AM

You’re welcome. I’m sure you will enjoy it. 🙂

Beware Of The Reader said:
        February 3, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Well I did and now I’ve become a fan especially of her incredible pictures! Thanks for recommending her to us!

February 3, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Glad to hear it

February 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Awwww…Little Bro, you made me all teary! Thank you so much for your kind words. +1,000,000 points for team Jay! (I am still in the lead, by the way!) 😉

February 3, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Of course, you’re always ahead. My sarcastic nature puts me in the trail every single time! lol

February 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Yep!! You are exactly right!

February 3, 2018 at 9:45 AM

What an amazing gift! She must be an amazing artist and an amazing person. Aren’t you glad you have her in your life!?!

Patrick Dykie said:
    February 3, 2018 at 9:54 AM

She is, very talented. I went to her blog, took a look around and quickly became a follower. This morning, I checked out you book at Amazon, and had to put on my reading glasses to be sure it said your rank for Kindle books was #7551. I am so happy you’re doing well. It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. I can’t wait for your second book! I’m just about finished your first (yes, I’m slow), but I got to savor it. I also went back, and reread some of my favorite parts.

February 3, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Thank you very much. I love hearing such positive messages. The 99 cent offer helped push it up, but it will go back to the 30K range by the end of the weekend. I have to find more ways to promote.

I’m glad you checked out Roda.

I need your help, btw! I downloaded your book that day you told me it was on the other site. I thought I put it in my bookmarks to go back and see how I could download it into my kindle to read, but I can’t find the link. Do you know the site name?

February 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM

oh, i found it… bookgrabbr. now I have to figure out if I can only read it in their app, or I can export to read elsewhere!

Patrick Dykie said:
        February 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM

I hope you enjoy it. It isn’t my greatest work yet, but I’ll keep plugging along. It is good, light reading for a train or subway ride.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 3, 2018 at 9:55 AM

That’s amazing!😊

watchingthedaisies said:
    February 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Wow. You are indeed blessed. It is a stunning painting. 🌼

N. N. Light said:
    February 3, 2018 at 10:24 AM

What a gorgeous painting and a beautiful gift! She is so talented and I’m a new follower.

I’m a big art fan but alas do not have the gift for painting. I studied art in college and even went to Europe in my high school days. I’ve dabbled in the past but nothing of merit. I think I’ll stick to writing. lol!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    February 3, 2018 at 10:37 AM

It’s Beautiful! I’m not artist and don’t understand much about paintings but I like them.

misstalkaholic said:
    February 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM

It’s so lovely… congrats

February 3, 2018 at 11:36 AM

What a great painting! It looks terrific on the wall with the book cover. Such a special friend and gift.

rugby843 said:
    February 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM

Goes perfectly with the book title piece.

tylerus said:
    February 3, 2018 at 12:24 PM

How lovely. And what a wonderful, TRUE friend. Treasure Roda as you will the painting. 🙂

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    February 3, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Amazing depiction! I’ll have to check out ‘Artistically Roda’ to check out her other work for sure!

Mary Deal said:
    February 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM

Such an incredible gift and surely, coming from the heart as well.

inspirationpie said:
    February 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM

OMG!!!! This is amazing Jay!! What a beautiful job, Roda did! Such a special gift!

Jo-Ann

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 3, 2018 at 3:32 PM

That’s so amazing!!

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 3, 2018 at 4:54 PM

How absolutely beautiful and amazing… both the artwork and the thought. You are very blessed Jay.

Mintly said:
    February 3, 2018 at 11:50 PM

Long time no read. I’ll catch up your post soon. Hope you’re doing well. That paint is really amazing and I really like how she did it. It’s really one of the coolest gift.

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    February 4, 2018 at 10:06 PM

That’s an amazing gift! I would have been mind-blown by it myself. Thanks for sharing man. 🙂

February 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM

this painting is soooooo awesome! i love it! ❤