365 Challenge: Day 324 – Memorabilia (LIST: Objects I adore)

Memorabilia: objects kept or collected because of their historical interest, especially those associated with memorable people or events

IMG_3256

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. For this group of five Sundays, I chose objects I adore or that have some huge importance to me. We’re in our fifth and final week and I’ve gone with memorabilia because it brings to the surface of my mind so many wonderful memories, moments and minutes of my past. I am not a pack-rat, hoarder, or saver of many things. I was when younger… for instance, I kept every issue of four weekly magazines I subscribed to for ten years. When I moved cross-country in 2007, I realized it was time to let go of things that really weren’t all that important. But I kept those that were, focusing intently on items that truly had memories or a connection to other people and events in my life. Let’s break it down into a few key areas:

A. Letters & Cards

• Most everyone gives or gets cards for their birthday, holidays and/or other special reasons. Over the years, I saved some of the ones from people in my life who passed or moved on, or the ones that had a beautiful message inside. I have every card that W has given to me, even the little ones early on when we celebrated the small milestones or the “just because I care” notes we left in each other’s apartments before we moved in together. I have most of the Christmas and birthday cards from my parents, seeing how my mom still refers to me as her baby boy in each one.
  • I also have a group of ten letters written by important people in my life during my Confirmation. I grew up Catholic and when I completed my religious education in middle school, part of the ceremony ushering you into adulthood where you confirm your faith for the first time on your own accord is Confirmation. Grandparents, Godparents, parents and other friends and family write you letters that you get when you are on a two-day retreat away from normal life. They help you feel connected to your family as you embrace your journey forward. I saved them all, treasuring the words people thought and said about me when I was thirteen. My uncle lamented (in a fun way) how it was so odd I could listen to groups like Metallica. My godmother asked me to stop teasing my cousins but also make them act and behave more like me rather than get in trouble. My grandmother told me how much she loved spending time with me after school. Treasures!

IMG_3250

B. Photographs & Albums

• Everyone saves photos. In my childhood, teenage and college years, they were actual printed photographs from cameras. Afterwards, they were digital photos stored on my computer, phone and then the cloud. I wasn’t a big photographer, but I did take some. When W and I began dating back in December 2011, I realized I’d found the complete opposite of me when it came to memorabilia. He saves everything, and his our storage facility would prove that! But I cannot complain, as every summer in the first five years when we rented a beach house with a group of friends for several weekends, he took photos. At the end of the season, he presented everyone with a photo album of all the summer memories.
  • As if that’s not enough, he does the same as one of my Christmas presents each year — an album of all the memories from our past year together. I now have six albums since we’ve been together and five from the summer beach house. They are in the hall closet and we flip through them several times a year. Unfortunately, some of the photos are highly embarrassing, so they will never see the light of day on the blog! While I wouldn’t mind the ones of me showing (a few hangovers, a few cooking mishaps, some where we’re in bathing suits or caught in semi-compromising positions), I can’t show other people, so they will stay hidden unless you happen to be visiting me in NYC.

C. ID Cards, Exams, Grades & Reports

• I have all my ID cards, drivers licenses, and birth certificate documentation in a small box. I like seeing the numerical data and aging from year to year as things changed both in appearance and skill.

IMG_3252

• I have every report card, standardized test result or major exam scores. Things like my SATs and GREs… all the kindergarten notes from the teachers… college transcripts. I even kept the three where I had a final grade less than a B. I was a nerd, but I had a few classes that didn’t go over very well in my book. I will not reveal when they occurred or what class they were in, but it would be a bit shocking to know.
  • I love seeing the results on some of them as they reveal a lot about me. For instance, I almost always scored perfect on math exams, even close to 800 on that portion of the SATs, yet my reading comprehension when I was younger had been a weaker area. How odd! My personal favorite was a comment from a middle school guidance counselor to my parents about how I should have been pushed forward two grades when I was younger given how far ahead I was compared to the rest of the grade. Before you think I’m just tooting my own horn… the very next quarter’s report said ‘Jay is incredibly shy and often refuses to talk to anyone else. I see now why pushing him up a grade would have hurt him.’ Whaaat???? LOL

IMG_3254

D. Books

• It goes without saying, but any writer or reader will have treasured books on a shelf. I’ve shared those pictures before, but there is one special book I have not. During the six weeks when I pledged a fraternity in college, we had a spiral steno notebook to keep notes on all the brothers, learn information about the fraternity and write our tasks and plans. It’s of course confidential, and no one else has ever read it, but I can show the cover… it has been twenty years! When I re-read some of those things, I am scared and shocked at so much of the past. Nothing bad, just… really… I had totally forgotten I did that and didn’t get caught.

IMG_3249

If you look closely, you might see my Pledge Name — I told that story in a past post!

As you can see, they are the typical paper and print memorabilia we all keep, but the ones I store all fit within one large box. I take them out from time to time when I need to connect with the past. It’s always fun to take that trip down memory lane. I hope you enjoyed the last five Sundays where you learned about all the important objects in my life. I look forward to sharing the final five weeks of my lists with you before the 365 Daily Challenge comes to an end soon…

IMG_3259

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: Objects I adore
  • Week 48 – 52: TBD

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

32 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 324 – Memorabilia (LIST: Objects I adore)

misifusa said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Oh I loved this post Jay! Heartwarming, nurturing and an enjoyable way for us to get to know you even more! You are a wonderful man and I am so glad we have gotten to know each other through our blogs. Have a lovely day today. Thinking of you…♥

February 4, 2018 at 12:39 PM

Thank you. Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday. You are so kind to me. 🙂

tahenryauthoress said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:10 AM

That was such a fun look into your life. Like a little window you opened, see my world.
    Thank you.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM

This is a lovely post Jay! My favorite memorabilia that I’ve managed to hang onto are a collection of about a 100 slides that my dad gave me before he died. They’re pictures he took of my sister and I from the time we were infants to young adulthood. I have them stored in a plastic container but I need to convert them to digital.

February 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM

That’s wonderful you have them. W converted a thousand or so pictures from slides over the holiday break when we visited his family. We bought a small machine to convert them. Was very quick and they came out good.

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM

A very great post today, Jay! Memories are a lot of fun and having scrapbooks or albums or even just a magnet can bring the emotions rushing back. I have to admit that English/reading standardized tests were usually some of my lowest scores, too! 😬😯 It never made sense to me; I just assumed I was a terrible (standardized) test taker. Thanks for sharing so many fun memories! I’m looking forward to seeing where you go next on the final leg of your Challenge! 😃

February 4, 2018 at 12:41 PM

Thank you, K! I appreciate it. It must be something we have in common, like we love reading and thinking, but not being forced to answer questions. 🙂

February 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM

This post is right up my alley, Jay! I have some of my report cards from high school but not all. I have kept the cards and letters the kids and my husband wrote to me and of course I have scrapbook albums galore. How nice that W gives you a book each Christmas to celebrate your year together. Unfortunately, when I got married the first time I threw away a ton of “memorabilia” because I thought I wasn’t going to “need it” anymore. I’m a little sad about that sometimes. I’ve saved the kids things too and am making albums for each of them (very far behind in that project). Thanks for sharing your memories. I’ll have to try to find the post about your pledge name. 🙂

February 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Found the post about the pledge name. I am dying laughing. I love to dance too but haven’t in a really long time, except in the living room or around the house. I can tell the differences in your posts from the earlier ones. You had lots of gifs in them. It reminds me of my 365 picture album where in the beginning I had lots of embellishments with the pictures plus detailed stories of each one and by the end of the year it is just the picture and a quick note of what it is about.

February 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM

It’s funny how that happens over time. For me, it was partially the time it took to find the gifs, trying to be more natural in what I posted and a few folks noting it sometimes didn’t work on mobile phones. So now I do only every so often. a balance! And I’m glad you found the post, embarrassing!

February 4, 2018 at 2:25 PM

We’ve all done some crazy things in our youth, no? Well, you’re still young but you know what I mean.

February 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM

true

February 4, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Great memories… I know what you mean about throwing stuff away. I deleted all the emails from an ex, but not I worry that I deleted things I should have kept, even what I wrote. It’s part of the transition process, I suppose. I’m so glad to hear you keep things, too! I will be responding tomorrow on the album discussion.

robbiesinspiration said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:32 AM

I enjoyed reading about your memorabilia, James. I also keep certain cards (not all of them) and have a whole suitcase packed with my boys art, report cards and other bits and bobs from their early childhoods.

February 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM

They will love seeing it again in the future. Even if just to look at every so often. I’m glad to hear it! 🙂

February 4, 2018 at 1:17 PM

So sweet! There is something magical about handwritten card and letters.

melaniemolewriter said:
    February 4, 2018 at 5:08 PM

How lovely to see that you have kept things from your past. They are very special memories I am sure, and treasures from each time in your life. So lovely that you get them out a few times a year to look at too J

February 4, 2018 at 5:21 PM

I do adore them. I often wonder what I’d do without them. They are so definitive of me!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 4, 2018 at 6:27 PM

It’s lovely to have keepsakes- and it’s so nice that W makes a new album every year 🙂 hehehe I’ve seen a few of my old report cards over the years and it’s nice to see that some things never change- so I bet it’s fun looking over them 😉

February 4, 2018 at 7:39 PM

This was a fun post. Thanks for sharing.

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM

This was an absolutely charming post. I love that you’ve kept all these items. It’s always nice to take a walk down memory lane and see what your past accomplishments and perspectives were. Quite a treasure chest you have there.
    One comment I often got in my report as a younger student was that I was too talkative in class… yet now I happily people watch as opposed to entertain.

Lisa@LismorePaperCo. said:
    February 4, 2018 at 9:42 PM

I love this post! I love to feel the progress when you look them over. It’s almost like going back in time with the memories they hold.

russtowne said:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:53 PM

I love to learn about things that are important to others. Thank you for sharing some of yours, Jay.

February 7, 2018 at 8:47 AM

that’s so great and very personal, i love it. i also save photographs and i keep photo albums. i also collect all postcards i got in my life. i have a huge collection. i really don’t want to part with those things, because this is my life backwards and i love to have these things to look back on! great post jay! 🙂