365 Challenge: Day 325 – Monetize

Monetize: convert into or express in the form of currency

wow

Today’s post is short as I am focused on editing Father Figure. As I was reading my overnight WordPress notifications, I noticed that somewhere around 4am while I was soundly sleeping, I reached 100,000 visits to my blog in the last 14 months. I’m a statistics and numbers guy, so this was very cool to learn. In the last few weeks, I received at least one email per week asking if I would consider linking my site to another company’s web page and allow some marketing graphics. In return, I’d receive income dependent upon any traffic directed to their site from my blog. This is what people refer to when they say monetize your blog. I’ve thought about it before, but ultimately, this blog is not something I ever want controlled by anyone else. If it’s only checking traffic and paying based on views and clicks, is there really an issue if WordPress already displays ads without my control?

I’m curious if anyone else has done this, had a positive or negative experience, or had any input and suggestions… my inclination is if I don’t have to do anything, it doesn’t impact anyone reading the blog unless they choose to click the marketing advertisement, and it is truly legitimate, maybe it’s worth it. I ask only because having small income streams from multiple sources without having to do a lot is helpful for an author in the beginning when trying to focus on writing but also needing to pay bills. It’s also important for me to decide how to position the blog when the 365 Daily Challenge is over in 41 days (5 1/2 weeks)! Will I post daily? Will I break the blog into a few different ones to focus on (a) books / reviews / author content, (b) my author website, and (c) general / inspiration / fun… or will I keep it as a single blog separate from my author page and have content be consistent by day, e.g. Mondays are writer updates, Wednesdays are inspirational messages, Fridays are Author Alerts, Sundays are book reviews, etc.

I welcome input on all these topics today. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, or even just reading my posts. I’m grateful for everyone I’ve met in the last year & 100,000 visits.

30 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 325 – Monetize

thewisegreek said:
    February 5, 2018 at 8:53 AM

I’ve been looking into marketing these past few weeks, although I wouldn’t say I know much about it. I don’t know much about how certain advertising works or whether you’d be allowed to choose what ads were on your blog.

I do know that when I’m reading any kind of website I really don’t like pop up ads. Especially the ones were I can’t find the close button, so I have to click all over it to exit out of it, but then the ad takes me to a different page.

I think as long as the ads aren’t in the viewers face it should be fine. I’d look at your blog on mobile to if you put ads in. sometimes they look a lot bigger on those devices.

February 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM

I agree, I don’t like pop ups either… so I wouldn’t want that to happen! thanks for the advice.

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 5, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Congratulations!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉 Your blog is awesome and totally deserves the high views.

And I wish you luck on this; I’ve contemplated it, but don’t think my blog is ready for it. You’ll have to share your experience if you do go this way, if you so choose! 😌

tylerus said:
    February 5, 2018 at 9:54 AM

That’s amazing. Congratulations! I’m still trying to get my own life and blog organized (need time!!!!!! LOL). One day, one day. But kudos to you, Jay. 🙂

February 5, 2018 at 8:48 PM

ha, I kinda know the feeling… will let you know what I decide.

Michelle said:
    February 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM

I personally hate ads so I do what I can to not do that to others, but my blog also isn’t part of my livelihood. The decision doesn’t have to be permanent, so whatever way you decide to go can always be edited later. Good luck in your research/decision!

February 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM

I appreciate it. I tend not to do anything until I thoroughly understand it, so it will take me a bit to figure it out. Will keep you posted.

February 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Congrats on the numbers! I agree with “the wise geek” about not liking the pop up adds that you have to click on. If you can control the placement and type of ad, I say go for it. I am a Blitsy affiliate and a Creative Live affiliate and although I haven’t made any money yet, I have no where near the number of views/followers that you have. The links are placed on the sides of my posts so unless I do a specific blog post about them, I don’t think they are too obtrusive. I also have an Ad Sense account and, same thing, no money yet but I make sure that the ads are not offensive and just show up at the bottom of the post. Good luck!

February 5, 2018 at 8:51 PM

Good things to consider, thank you. I am at a loss on deciding how, but I like to research, so I will figure it out and let you know! Thx.

Sassy Brit (Reviewer) said:
    February 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Awesome number! I’ve contemplated it myself, but not really done it on the WordPress blog before. I blogged most of my years on Blogger and that was really easy to monetise, as it was built in with friendly Google apps, but WP to me is a little more complicated to deal with, so I’ve never got around to it properly.

Good luck, with whatever you decide to do!

February 5, 2018 at 8:52 PM

WP does seem like it could be difficult. I let WP host now, but I know I’d have to transition to another hosting provider on the back-end. Scary! 🙂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 5, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Holy guacamole Jay! 100,000 visitors is insane. I’ve been blogging since July 2014 and I only have had a little over 50,000. Congratulations. This is entirely well deserved!🤗

anne leueen said:
    February 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM

I do not want to monetize my blog for the same reason as you. I want to be completely independent and write and post what interests me. I have done product reviews for things I have used on my horse and they have all been things I liked and thought worked well. I have had 112K visitors in just under two years. I wonder if they are happy to have been spared ads?

February 5, 2018 at 8:54 PM

I think they probably are…. that’s a great number, congrats! I think I probably won’t do it, but I will research to understand the pros and cons.

russtowne said:
    February 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM

Congratulations on achieving the 100K-view milestone! I too have received ad/links offers/requests, and so far have not accepted them. My concern is that my primary income stream from writing is via sales of children’s picture books and as such I must be very careful to protect my “brand.” I could easily accidentally tarnish it by allowing or enabling inappropriate ad content on my social media sites. Your book content is much different than mine, and with a different a target audience. I’d love to hear how it works out for you if you decide to monetize your site(s) by allowing ads.

February 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM

You make 100% perfect sense. I agree, I wouldn’t on your site. I probably won’t on mine, but it’s worth understanding. I will keep you posted.

Gloria W. said:
    February 5, 2018 at 11:05 PM

congrats

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    February 6, 2018 at 9:39 PM

Congrats on the stats! Hey, that rhymed. I’m a poet and didn’t know it. Lol. JK. Anyway, I think as long as the ads aren’t pop ups and are similar to what wordpress already does, then go for it! I think any help you can get is great and I have been thinking about doing it too when my blog finally grows bigger.

February 7, 2018 at 8:41 AM

100,000 views? that’s amazing! great accomplishment and congratulations jay! i never really thought about monetizing and i don’t think i will ever get to that point 😀

February 18, 2018 at 7:32 AM

You’ve “hit the big time, Hon, congratulations!” As far as “monetizing”…something to think about.

luvtoread said:
    February 18, 2018 at 10:39 PM

I’ve always been interested in monetizing my blog, and actually use Amazon Affiliate links, but I’ve yet to earn anything from the links. I have just a fraction of the views & followers you have however. I don’t mind ads on sites, as long as they don’t pop up, or automatically play video and/or sound. The video I find distracting, and the sound is super irritating when you aren’t expecting it! Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

February 18, 2018 at 11:30 PM

Good input. I appreciate it. Haven’t done much but research so far. I will keep you posted. I dislike when Videos pop up too.