Segments: each of the parts into which something is or may be divided
I’ve chosen the word ‘segment’ for today’s 365 Daily Challenge as I consider a next blogging step. Today’s post is all about the mind of a writer while editing his/her book. It’s for two primary reasons: (1) I’m editing my second novel, Father Figure, and (2) I’m organizing a new segment for my blog all about writing. As I think through the process, I wanted to accomplish two things with this post: (1) an update on Father Figure, and (2) input from anyone interested in a writer’s segment on my blog.
- I’ve read all the beta feedback and made a list of 32 suggestions to consider as part of the editing process. I agree with most of them, but there are a few that I need to ponder before deciding how to proceed. It was a very successful process.
- My new target is February 15th to send to the editor and publisher for final review and feedback. I am confident I will achieve it as my head seems to be working properly again.
- I might need and want to change the title based on a few things. I also have absolutely no thought about the cover on this one yet. Thoughts?
Writing & Editing Process
- Once the drafts are written and authors have finished a large piece of editing and proofreading, it actually gets harder to finalize. As I read through it I keep telling myself to focus on voice or perspective, consistency or repetition, emotional depth and showing/telling… it can’t all be achieved with one read through, but you need to find the right rhythm. How do others work?
- I’ve got some ideas for weekly writer’s segments and wanted to know if anyone would care to listen/read/guest post…
- Ways to give you characters personality
- Balance of describing settings to give your readers just enough
- Choosing your point of view & perspective
- When and where to elicit emotions without overdoing it
- Repetition and consistency: solutions for keeping track
I look forward to everyone’s feedback today! Thanks.
About Me & the “365 Daily Challenge”
I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My debut novel, Watching Glass Shatter, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/WGS. I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.
The goal: Knowledge. Acceptance. Understanding. Optimization. Happiness. Help. For myself. For others. And if all else fails, humor. When I’m finished in one year, I hope to have more answers about the future and what I will do with the remainder of my life. All aspects to be considered. It’s not just about a career, hobbies, residence, activities, efforts, et al. It’s meant to be a comprehensive study and reflection from an ordinary man. Not a doctor. Not a therapist. Not a friend. Not an encyclopedia full of prior research. Just pure thought, a blogged journal with true honesty.
Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.