365 Challenge: Day 326 – Segments

Segments: each of the parts into which something is or may be divided

Segments.png

I’ve chosen the word ‘segment’ for today’s 365 Daily Challenge as I consider a next blogging step. Today’s post is all about the mind of a writer while editing his/her book. It’s for two primary reasons: (1) I’m editing my second novel, Father Figure, and (2) I’m organizing a new segment for my blog all about writing. As I think through the process, I wanted to accomplish two things with this post: (1) an update on Father Figure, and (2) input from anyone interested in a writer’s segment on my blog.

Father Figure

• I’ve read all the beta feedback and made a list of 32 suggestions to consider as part of the editing process. I agree with most of them, but there are a few that I need to ponder before deciding how to proceed. It was a very successful process.
  • My new target is February 15th to send to the editor and publisher for final review and feedback. I am confident I will achieve it as my head seems to be working properly again.
  • I might need and want to change the title based on a few things. I also have absolutely no thought about the cover on this one yet. Thoughts?

Writing & Editing Process

• Once the drafts are written and authors have finished a large piece of editing and proofreading, it actually gets harder to finalize. As I read through it I keep telling myself to focus on voice or perspective, consistency or repetition, emotional depth and showing/telling… it can’t all be achieved with one read through, but you need to find the right rhythm. How do others work?
  • I’ve got some ideas for weekly writer’s segments and wanted to know if anyone would care to listen/read/guest post…
    • Ways to give you characters personality
    • Balance of describing settings to give your readers just enough
    • Choosing your point of view & perspective
    • When and where to elicit emotions without overdoing it
    • Repetition and consistency: solutions for keeping track

I look forward to everyone’s feedback today! Thanks.

38 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 326 – Segments

February 6, 2018 at 8:30 AM

The cover…so many choices!

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM

So hard to visualise a cover for FF. This is probably still too vague but I’m thinking shadowy yet hopeful…. (that’s partly how I feel about it)
    As for the writers’ segment, go for it. I love reading posts every so often about how a writer’s mind works.

February 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM

FF is hard. I like your idea about shadowy. I can’t decide if the name needs to change too… something more descriptive perhaps.

Michelle said:
    February 6, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Even though I like to read more than write, I like reading writer segments offering advice. Maybe it’s the reader in me, but I love learning about how an author’s brain works. As for the artwork, I work currently in product development. We typically start with a few ideas and then send it out to a group for review. Even if we don’t like the majority’s answer, it gives us an idea on what we were going for in the first place and may do it better in the next draft.

February 6, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Helpful, thank you…. I might have to come up with some ideas then throw out a poll for the cover!

February 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM

It is always interesting reading about the process of creation and writing is creation as far as I’m concerned. Can’t help with the title or cover, although I like the shadowy suggestion.

February 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Re cover, no worries, thanks! Re other part, thanks! 🙂 I will email you this week on the album, sorry got sidetracked with editing

February 7, 2018 at 11:24 PM

No worries. I’m not going anywhere 🙂

authorsinspirations said:
    February 6, 2018 at 11:42 AM

i went over my book more than ten times. for the beta’s feeds, for voice, point of view, sentence structure and so on. i tried doing it all in one go but it just didn’t work for me.
    i’d love to read these writer’s segments. i bet all writers would, in fact.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM

That’ll be a cool segment- definitely interested!

Cammie Adams said:
    February 6, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Since reading the first draft, I’ve had a picture in my mind: two women, arms linked as they walk away from a man’s silhouette.
    I like the writer segment idea. I love hearing about other people’s processes.

February 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM

that’s a very striking image, and it says a lot about different aspects of the story!! ooh, thank you.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    February 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM

I would really love reading your posts about the writing process Jay! I find writing fascinating. How you can flesh out characters, build a plot, introduce twists… all this making sense and having meaning. That’s why I love so much interviewing authors. I find their minds fascinating and not in a creepy way I assure you 😉

February 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Haha. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for sharing and providing input.

Nicole (Read. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.) said:
    February 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM

I’d definitely be interested in reading a weekly writing segment! 😉

Jessica Rachow said:
    February 6, 2018 at 6:41 PM

I love writing advice. It’s always helpful to hear ideas from other writers. 😊

anne leueen said:
    February 6, 2018 at 8:57 PM

I am not qualified as a writer to speak about the process. The title of Father Figure has power . At least to me it does . And it is intriguing as well.

February 6, 2018 at 9:03 PM

Thanks! How’s me friend, Biasini?

anne leueen said:
        February 6, 2018 at 10:02 PM

Biasini is well. He is working hard in training and i think i have finally been able to turn the corner on the skin problems he has had. Florida grot! The vet gave him an antibiotic shot and i have used an anti bacterial and anti fungal shampoo. It is looking much better. I will tell him you asked after him.

February 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM

Ooh I’m glad to hear of the progress. Thanks for the update!

February 7, 2018 at 8:40 AM

wow, changing the title? that’s a huge step! but if it fits better, just go for it. i am sure it will be amazing in the end. i think the cover definitely also depends on the title!

Chauncey Rogers said:
    February 7, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Covers and titles are both tricky things. Very important, very stressful, and very fun to brainstorm. I hope that you come up with something absolutely amazing for the cover (and the title, if you decide to change it).
    As for the writing segment, I think that’s a great idea. I’d be very curious to hear what other writers had to say, and would be happy to throw in my own two bits (or an entire guest post, if you wanted).

February 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Excellent! I will be doing the writing segment, probably in 3 to 4 weeks as I close down on 365 and come up with the new format. 🙂

February 9, 2018 at 8:14 AM

The new part of the blog should be interesting and helpful to writers. As for me, personally, I am a reader and an encourager of writers, but I do enjoy most the posts about you and the book reviews (which I usually read, but seldom comment on). Just keep up the great posts and don’t spread yourself TOO thin. Consider this elderly advice. LOL