365 Challenge: Day 331 – Launch (LIST: Favorite 365 Moments)

Launch: the start or opening of something (important)

1st Sunday list of 5 favorite moments

Sundays are LIST days and today is no different. Since the next group of five Sundays is the final group and the conclusion of the 365 Daily Challenge, I decided to select my five favorite moments throughout the last year of this challenge. This is our first week and I’ve gone with launch because that’s when it all began… when I found my personal style and voice — a combination of sarcastic humor, blunt truth, hopeful inspiration and artistic license. Let’s go back to the very beginning…

When I began this challenge, I intended to pick an adjective that clearly described who I am. There couldn’t be any more true than the word punctual. When I re-read the original post this morning, I laughed over the creation of a 2-week itinerary for an Italy trip, as I am actually in the process this week of re-booking the updated trip to final get there in May. I flipped through the first few weeks of posts and chose this one because it was the day I discovered the use of the GIF as part of my posting style — hence the word launch. I inserted a bunch of clips that made me laugh and that I thought would be a connection with others. I’ve since cut back on the use of them, but it was heavy in the beginning. I’d take 30 minutes to find them, then 30 minute to format and write about them… which meant I spent too much time on the challenge and couldn’t be punctual with everything else I wanted to accomplish. Ha!

Hope you enjoy this flashback series for the next 5 Sundays… the best part was seeing I had 5 LIKES on this post from March 28, 2017! Thanks everyone for helping me figure out my posting style throughout the last year. I can’t wait to launch the next big thing coming up on my blog in March. I’m pulling it together and will announce a little bit each day during the final March week. Let the excitement launch…

***

365 Challenge: Day 16 – Punctual

POSTED ON  UPDATED ON

Punctual: happening or doing something at the agreed or proper time; on time

You’re all in for a treat today… well, that may be overselling things. I’ve discovered and decided to add animated graphics and GIFs to my posts. I searched for a few fun ones this morning and will drop ’em in throughout today’s topic. And since I am a voracious reader as you recently learned, and well, this picture is just great, the first one, obviously someone intelligent checking their watch to see who is late and who is on time:

Bbc GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Who doesn’t love Sherlock?  Just started watching this TV show recently and posted a review on here, too! You can find it by clicking here. Back to punctuality.

Ever since I was a small child, I was fascinated by time. But get this, I never wore a watch. I don’t like things dangling on my arm or wrist… distracting… and then you have something else you need to match to whatever you are wearing (and I’m no good at that)… I digress a lot today. Time is so simple yet so complex.  The second hand clicks around 60 times, then the minute hand moves ever so slightly. Once the minute hand moves around 60 times, the hour hand has moved to the next of the 12 hours on the clock. It could be AM or PM. But so many people have such a hard time with being punctual. Forget DST… that could cause some people a trip to the asylum.

Adventure Time GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I have no sense of time when it comes to looking at the sun or the sky. I can’t tell what it means to set in the east or west, what shadows are being cast, et al. For me, being punctual is some internal clock that just knows what time it is.

I rarely use an alarm clock. Unless I’m sick or traveling, meaning time change hasn’t settled in quite yet, I wake up at the same time each day (usually about 7am) and start feeling tired about 10pm each night. I can tell throughout the day what time it is usually within 10 to 15 minutes, even if I haven’t looked at a clock in hours. And for those reasons, being punctual has always been innate in me.

It’s a sign that you care enough not to waste someone else’s time. It’s evidence that what you are showing up for is important. It’s considerate (ah…. remember that post!) by showing you took a few minutes to plan your arrival rather than just show up whenever.

Suits GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

It’s not an option for me to be late. I get nervous and uneasy if I’m going to be late for some unavoidable reason. I get frustrated with train or plane delays because it throws off my timely plans. I feel like it says “he didn’t care enough.”

Happy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

It’s not about counting the minutes or planning to the moment. It’s about ensuring you are not causing any inconvenience to other people. Punctuality helps things run more smoothly. You can often accomplish more as a result.

That said, I’m not 100% punctual. On occasion, if there’s no impact to someone else, I might arrive a little later than planned. For instance… there’s a party from 8 to 11. I tell the host I expect to arrive around 8:30. If I show up at 8:35, I’m not gonna freak out.

Panic GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

But if I am meeting friends for lunch and we say 12… you bet your ass I’ll be there by 11:55. Unless the person I’m meeting is always late… and I have a few friends like that… then, I… well, no… I show up at 11:55.

Some laughs for you about how punctual I’ve been:

1. Created an itinerary for a 2-week trip to Italy. Arrival times and departure times were noted on a schedule to the minute. I never made that trip, but when I do re-schedule, I’ll be thrown off if I’m not on schedule. And one of those places was the Amalfi Coast where La Dolce Vita is the way of life: you just enjoy the beauty and forget about time. Ha!
  2. I once kept a log of all my times at the gym, noting when it was scheduled and when I actually worked out — each activity, set, rep. Wanted to see if I was using the time the best way possible. NERD!
  3. I’ve timed it so that I walk around the corner for a restaurant reservation so that I could walk right up to the host or hostess at the precise time. Yes, I am a little obsessive.

How about your frequently late arrivals?  What’s the scoop?

————————————————————-

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, often organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Past weeks included:

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held
  • Weeks 26 – 30: Top 10 entertainment options
  • Week 31: How to follow or contact me across all social media platforms
  • Week 32: How to help an artist with promotion
  • Week 33 – 37: Favorite Book Genres
  • Week 38 – 42: Holidays
  • Week 43 – 47: Objects I adore
  • Week 48 – 52: Favorite 365 Moments

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks.

35 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 331 – Launch (LIST: Favorite 365 Moments)

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM

Great post, Jay! I always like going back to seeing old posts and their three to seven likes! 🙂 Especially since I thought they were a big deal. (And they were, in their own way lol.) And I looooove Sherlock!! ❤

February 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM

Hi. Thank you. It is so fun, you are right. I need to get back to Sherlock, too. It’s been months! Hope your weekend is going well.

theloyalbritwit said:
        February 11, 2018 at 8:29 AM

You’re welcome. You should, whenever you have time; I think it’s nice to have time in between for that show. My weekend has been decent; I hope yours has been lovely!

foodzesty said:
    February 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM

So funny hahaaha Thank you for sharing 🙂

February 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM

March sounds exciting!

nnlight said:
    February 11, 2018 at 9:27 AM

I loved reading this post, Jay. My favorite part was the Beeker GIF. I could totally relate, especially last Tuesday. lol! 😉

Beware Of The Reader said:
    February 11, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Oooh but you used GIFs!!! I’m always punctual too Jay with an internal clock as well so I completely understand 😉 Happy Sunday!

rugby843 said:
    February 11, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Glad you reposted it. A fun read

February 11, 2018 at 1:10 PM

Thank you!

rugby843 said:
        February 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Hope you’re doing well.

February 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Yes… slowly moving forward. Ryder’s ashes were read this week, so that was a bit more difficult than expected, but moving forward. 🙂

rugby843 said:
        February 11, 2018 at 2:16 PM

I haven’t heard of that. On the ranch we buried horses and dogs in a special area.

February 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM

I think because I live in a city without any big areas for pet cemeteries, they offer that option. If I had property, I probably would have gone the other way.

rugby843 said:
        February 11, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Yes, it was sad and when the kids were little we lived in Denver so did the same. But living in the country it was just how things were done. The kids built a fire pit next to the site so they were visited often.

February 11, 2018 at 9:35 PM

Makes sense. Denver is on my list to visit sometime soon.

February 11, 2018 at 10:44 AM

I use a clock/watch/alarm because my internal is not so great. We have some friends that are habitually late and plan for that. I agree about being on time as a respect to others thing but I’m not sure I’d go as far as my mom who gets places at least 1/2 an hour early! I LOVE that Sherlock (crushing on him but don’t tell my husband). So glad you are reposting these so I can catch up on the ones I missed before I started following you. Can’t wait for the next big blog announcement and I’m hoping you take us on your trip to Italy. Happy Sunday!

February 11, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Sure, I will take lots of photos and post a bunch while there! 🙂 You can crush, it’s totally allowed – different country! ha!

tahenryauthoress said:
    February 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM

I used to never be late. But I admit now, I am rarely exactly when I said. I might be early, I might be late. A large part of that is where I live. Drive time can unexpectedly double. You could read this if you like….https://tahenryauthoress.wordpress.com/2017/10/13/fiendish-friday-nasty-surprise/

February 11, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Driving can be painful, as you never know when to leave… going to check your post out now. thx.

lauriewoodwardauthor said:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:14 AM

Good job, James! You should be proud of all you have accomplished this last year. Daily blogs, increased following, launching a new book to awesome reviews. You are the kind of young man Moms brag on saying, “Yep, that’s my boy.”

February 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Aww, she is proud, thank you. Very kind of you. How goes your weekend?

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM

hehe I envy your ability to be punctual for your own time keeping and other people 😉 Honestly *shifts guiltily* I am not. It’s partly because I’m scatty, easily distracted and forget things. But a lot of the time, I’m just trying to do too many things at once as well. Plus I often mistime everything. And there’s no way I’ll get out of bed in the morning without a really loud alarm 😉 (a foghorn would work better) Even then, I’ll hit the snooze till the absolute last minute. It’s no wonder I’m always sprinting to wherever I need to be. Yeahhh time management is not my forte- so I salute you here! 😉

February 11, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Thanks. Quite funny, a foghorn? You might get more done the way you do it… without boundaries. Love your response, btw Made me laugh.

anne leueen said:
    February 11, 2018 at 6:18 PM

Bravo! You are one hard working blogger, writer, reviewer!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
      February 11, 2018 at 9:03 PM

This was great! I wish I could say I’m as good as you at being on time. No matter how hard I try, I end up being 5-10 minutes later than I thought. 😛 I think part of it is because I *HATE* being too early. Invariably, I’m early and I start reading a book on my phone and then I’m *just* nicely into it and others arrive and I have to pull myself away.

But because of that, I try to cut it too close and end up late. 😛 I’m very blessed now that I have a position that allows me to come in when I want and leave when I want as long as I get my 40 hours in. Because it doesn’t seem to matter – I’ll tell myself that I need to leave by x time and it’s almost always 10 minutes later than I mean to. 😛

February 11, 2018 at 9:39 PM

At least you know it! That makes it a bit easier to manage the day. One friend doesn’t even know. He’ll message that he’ll be ten minutes late and show up an hour later!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        February 11, 2018 at 9:45 PM

That’s true but I’d like to do better. It just doesn’t seem to work.

February 11, 2018 at 9:36 PM

Thank you friend!

inspirationpie said:
    February 11, 2018 at 9:16 PM

LOL Awesome post, Jay 😀 I love gifs too, but I’ve slowed down on using them too. Have a great week 🙂

February 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM

I liked these moments too. What a clever post. What a clever blogger, Jay.