365 Challenge: Day 333 – Bulbs

Bulbs: a rounded underground storage organ present in some plants, notably those of the lily family, consisting of a short stem surrounded by fleshy scale leaves or leaf bases and lying dormant over winter

bulbs.jpg

Today is February 13th. It is still the middle of winter. But for some reason, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed many of the bulbs in all the flower boxes on the terrace were starting to poke through the top layer of dirt. We had a few warm days in the 50s, which might account for it, but suddenly in the last week when it’s been in the 20s, those little suckers forced their way through the dirt at least an inch! It’s too early. Go back to sleep! It made me wonder why I had a hard time digging in the dirt while it’s frozen, yet a weak little bulb could push its way through. Maybe I’m the weak little bulb in this relationship???

So… what’s a non-gardener gardener supposed to do? Buy some dirt and cover them up! Yes, that was the solution. Someone (it wasn’t me) purchased 3 bags of dirt from Amazon. Is that weird? I feel like anyone reading this post could be puzzled over that statement… I live in NYC. If you go to a garden store… roughly ten blocks away… it’ll cost like $10 for a tiny bag of dirt. Then you have to get a taxi and carry it home, or pay a delivery charge. So… Amazon it is… anyway… there I am yesterday at 5:30 PM when the sun has gone down trying to fill planters with bags of dirt. Why didn’t I do this earlier in the light? Because I forgot and was busy editing. I remembered when I stopped writing and went to shower as it was that kinda day. I also realized the one thing W asked me to do that day was fix the ‘bulb problem.’ Some people are so needy!

Why do things grow faster than they are supposed to? What is Mother Nature’s problem this year? It’s not time for the bulbs to come out hiding. I need a few more weeks as it’s @#@#$ cold out there, which I do love in terms of a temperature for me, but not the bulbs. The plants are just unable to tolerate it — I guess maybe I am not the weaker one!  Ha! I win this little game… So by way of this post, and directed at the bulbs:

‘Please stop growing for a few weeks. Don’t you dare poke your green little buds outta the dirt or I’ll be forced to throw blankets over you and I’m just too busy for that.’

Okay. That’s all for today. I’ve got a book to finish. Maybe I’ve had to much coffee today.

51 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 333 – Bulbs

tylerus said:
    February 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM

It appears we’re ALL very anxious for spring to arrive.

February 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM

Yes, good point! If the cold stays away, I am okay with the bulbs popping up.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    February 13, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Lol… I love your little speech to the bulbs! I love winter but even this one is getting seemingly long because of all the frigid single digit temps we’ve had. C’mon spring!

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Hahahahahaha

Wonderful…. you tell those bulbs!!!
    I’m very interested in this buying dirt on Amazon thing… hmm… would have never thought to even check for that there. Good to know, should I ever be in the middle of a city and need dirt that is 😉

lucindablogs said:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:45 AM

How cold is it where you are? Most plants that grow from bulbs can survive sub zero temperatures. They’re pretty hardy. My daffodils, snowdrops and tulips have all been up since before Christmas and the freezing cold/snow that we’ve had hasn’t harmed them at all. I’d just leave them alone 🙂

February 13, 2018 at 4:37 PM

20s and 30s for January, but then up back down again this week. They may survive. I can’t wait to see pictures of all your spring flowers. thanks for the heads up on leaving them alone, too!

lucindablogs said:
        February 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM

Brrrrr! They should be fine though. I love seeing my bulbs shoot, my daffodils are about to flower even though it’s currently snowing! Spring is definitely on the way!

February 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Yes. Cold! 🙂 a few more week hopefully and it will be warmer and colorful!

tahenryauthoress said:
    February 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM

my bulbs popped up too. Four – six inches of growth. But we’re back in the 30s now and I’m thinking they are not liking their life choices. LOL

February 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM

I am not a gardener so I’m not faced with these issues. I learned with the kids how to pick my battles and this isn’t one I choose. I’m sure you’ll prevail 🙂

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    February 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM

My wife has an array of bulbs sitting in pots scattered around the house waiting for the right moment . . . whenever that may be! 🙂
    –Michael

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    February 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM

hi how are you? applying for jobs? or keeping on writing?

delphini510 said:
    February 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM

Your dear bulbs felt the sun was there and eagerly put their heads up. You can’t blame them; I do the same when the sun comes up.😊 and so do the bulbs.

nnlight said:
    February 13, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Jay, I totally laughed at this post. As a retired gardener, I’ve had those same thoughts myself. Here’s hoping they survive. 🙂

moorezart said:
    February 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

February 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM

I love your conversation with the bulbs!! I think we are all ready for spring to appear.

anne leueen said:
    February 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM

Sometimes in the garden a warm spell will bring up the leaves of the little bulbs. Then if there is another cold blast they get zapped. Anyway…you have a book to finish!!

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:01 PM

Covering them back up definitely seems like the solution that I would think of too!.. But, my thumbs are the absolute Opposite of green… I managed to kill herbs. I didn’t even know that was possible. But, apparently you can buy ANYTHING on amazon!! I’ve known people to buy their non-perishable groceries and toiletries and such on Amazon! What is the world coming to? Lol!

AJ said:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM

I just threw my bulbs in last weekend so hopefully it was the right timing. I’m afraid I left it too late:(

February 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM

might be okay…. it’s still early enough! I’m not sure how that all works tho!

AJ said:
        February 13, 2018 at 11:30 PM

I loved gardening when I had a third of an acre yard, but a small balcony is a whole different kettle of fish!

February 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM

I know the feeling!

Ann Marie Bryant said:
    February 13, 2018 at 10:02 PM

I’m ready for some tulips!

mainepaperpusher said:
    February 14, 2018 at 2:20 AM

I smiled when I saw that you ordered your potting soil through Amazon. I order dog food online when I can get it five miles away. Tonight, I ordered shortbread, lysine tablets, fish food and aquarium filters. They’ll be here Friday. Don’t think you are theo only one buying odd stuff on Amazon. ❤️💕❤️💕❤️

February 14, 2018 at 7:42 AM

I’m glad to be in good company with you. That’s quite a combo Hopefully you eat the shortbread and not the fish food by accident. xoxo

DaisyGal @ DG Book Blog said:
    February 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM

James, I have purchased many things on Amazon before, but never soil! That is fantastic! I’m a Master Gardener and actually despise this time of year and hate the cold, BUT I love that the bulbs come up early to bring color to all the dreary days. They’re pretty hardy fellows! =D

February 14, 2018 at 10:55 AM

I hope so… will keep you posted. And a master gardener? You need to come help me figure out what to do outside! LOL

DaisyGal @ DG Book Blog said:
        February 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM

LOL – yes! It would have to be a few months though, because I’m a big old baby here in Texas and can’t handle your kind of cold in NY. Last time I was up there in February, I about froze to death! 😬

February 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Hehe! It will be 50s this week

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    February 14, 2018 at 2:04 PM

LMAO, I would have done the same thing with the dirt! Isn’t the weather weird this year? Here in Utah it got up to the 60s last week, and then the last couple of days we got a little rain and a skiff of snow. It’s already melted, but come on!! WTF