365 Challenge: Day 334 – Arrow

Arrow: a shaft sharpened at the front and with feathers or vanes at the back, shot from a bow as a weapon or for sport

arrow.png

In a giant twist of fate, I will have two Valentine’s dates today! Shocking, I know. I should be thrown in prison for my blasphemy… except it’s 2018 and probably okay to have two dates. No, W has nothing to worry about! My first date is with the doctor. Ouch! I’m not sure how it happened, well I suppose I am. I realized I hadn’t gone for an annual check-up last year, so I called recently to schedule one. Somehow I selected today at 1:30. I must have been drunk or busy writing as there’s no explanation for why I did this to myself. Since it involves blood work (on Valentine’s Day??? Vampires!), I had to fast this morning. The last thing I had to eat was dinner around 7:30 last night. Pancakes. As it was Pancake Day. That oughtta show up great on the blood sugar test! Now I will have fasted for 18 hours instead of 8 hours because the appointment is so late in the day. I’m fine not eating, but please give me coffee ASAP.

I really can’t complain. I did it to myself. I didn’t plan properly. But… on the way home afterward, I’ll stop at the grocery store to buy dinner for Valentine’s Day. I’m thinking of making an asparagus risotto with some sort of protein depending on what looks good today at Whole Foods. I might put red food coloring in the risotto. Sounds tasty, right? Ha! That will be the second date… this time with W. I’m sure it will be a much more pleasant one. I’m not a big fan of going to the doctor. I skipped it for ten years. Last time I went, they mentioned things like… oh, you’ll be 40 next time so we should do a prostate exam. And your cholesterol was a little higher than normal today so start cutting back on everything you love to eat. Maybe we should also get you scheduled for a colonoscopy as it’s good to know how everything looks.

So… I avoid doctors; however, after what happened earlier this year with Ryder, I guess I’ve learned that you need to know what’s wrong as soon as possible. Fine, I’ll go. But I’m taking an arrow. (You were probably wondering why that’s today’s 365 Daily Challenge word!) If the doctor tries to suggest anything I don’t want to do, I’ll toss the arrow directly at her… and it won’t be Cupid’s Valentine’s Day kind!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

75 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 334 – Arrow

Kiersten said:
    February 14, 2018 at 8:38 AM

Happy Valentine’s Day! Good luck at the doctor.

February 14, 2018 at 8:40 AM

Happy Valentine’s Day! In Japan, it is a day for girls to give guys chocolate! Traditionally, it is a very important day for girls to confess their crush and girls make such a fuss on Valentine’s Day. Um, No, don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not confession my crush on you (hehehe, i’m just kidding!) Anyways, following the tradition, I’ll send you some virtual chocolate your way! Hope you have a wonderful day!

February 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Awww, that’s a wonderful tradition. And thank you for sharing it with me. Can’t wait for the chocolate. 🙂

February 14, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Um.. I believe I said ‘virtual’ chocolate… lol

February 14, 2018 at 8:44 AM

Yes. It will taste delicious when it arrives. I assume that’s the name of the brand who makes it in Japan???? 🙂

February 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Okay, you got me there lol You won!

February 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM

haha, I’m just being witty or pushy! I think it’s cause I can’t eat or drink right now, so all food sounds good, even virtual

February 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Oh, I see! Then, if I sent you a pic of the dessert that I am about to devour…. would that be a torture to you? 😛

February 14, 2018 at 8:57 AM

*** All future messages sent from Noriko to Jay will automatically be considered SPAM for such rude comments! ***

February 14, 2018 at 9:01 AM

*** terror *** lol You’ve just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!

February 14, 2018 at 9:03 AM

hehehe… was only kidding!

February 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Ha! SPAM! Yes… it would be torture. Only after 1:30 today can you send it.

February 14, 2018 at 9:02 AM

Lol I’ll refrain from it… sorry for kidding lol

February 14, 2018 at 9:04 AM

You can. I love dessert. just wait a few hours! 🙂 hahaha

Mintly said:
    February 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Happy Valentine’s day, Jay!
    Good luck for your annual check up! It’ll be fine..No worries. And enjoy the rest of your day. I hope you have really amazing dates!

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    February 14, 2018 at 8:46 AM

I love the red dye in the risotto idea. Go for it.

February 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Just listen to the doctor and behave yourself! 😉

February 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Shhh… go away on your vacation. I always behave myself! LOL

February 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Just listen to the professionals, do what they say and then go get a huge mug of coffee!

LA said:
    February 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

5171 Miles Book Blog said:
    February 14, 2018 at 9:21 AM

I hope dinner goes well! And I’m sorry about the doctor. 😦 -Ashley

Run Wright said:
    February 14, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Happy Valentines Day, J. I hope all goes well with the doctor and that there are no vampire-esque experiences. I’ll look forward to reading your post tomorrow to hear how things went. Sorry I haven’t been visiting much lately. I have neglected my blog and my blog friends but I am always making changes and coming back to your site is one of my steps forward.

February 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM

It happens, I totally understand. No pressure. 🙂 Happy Valentine’s Day to you, too!

February 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Good luck at the docs, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Coincidentally, my hubby has to have blood work, an echocardiogram and a visit with his doc today too. Fortunately he doesn’t have to fast. He’s a real grump when he has no food. With the red in the risotto and the green in the asparagus it may look more like Christmas than Valentine’s Day 🙂

inspirationpie said:
    February 14, 2018 at 11:47 AM

You will enjoy your meal and dessert all the more after fasting that long! Happy Valentine’s Day, Jay! ❤

foodinbooks said:
    February 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Happy Valentine’s Day, Jay! Enjoy your food.

February 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM

I hope all goes well with the doctor and I hope you and W have a happy Valentine’s Day.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

hahaha oh gosh I relate to this- I have a pretty big fear of doctors and absolutely hate going and will avoid it at all costs!! I hope your second date is much more fun (asparagus and risotto is so good!!)

anne leueen said:
    February 14, 2018 at 8:11 PM

doctors and their technicians always can have a way of making you feel of an antediluvian age. Trust me I know about this. Just do what you can with regard to eating etc. And as for tests….even those invasive periscope ones….if they are offered do them. Really! It’s not fun but it can save your life. I am a survivor of colorectal cancer so I know this to be true. Sorry to be so blunt…so now go and enjoy your valentines dinner. 🙂

February 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM

I love the word antediluvian – thanks for sharing! 🙂

February 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM

Wow, I’m so glad things turned out okay for you. Getting it was probably scary, but surviving is fantastic news! 🙂

anne leueen said:
        February 15, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Yes! And finding it sooner rather than later is significant in the recovery prospects. Forgive my comment to you sounding like I’m being a “Mum” but it is important stuff.

February 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM

No worries at all. I appreciate it. You’re sharing good knowledge and experience. 🙂

russtowne said:
    February 14, 2018 at 8:57 PM

May your first date give a clean bill of health to you and your second date be delightful!

February 15, 2018 at 8:33 AM

Thanks, Russ! Hope you are doing well. I had a question for you, and we can take it offline if you prefer. A friend is considering writing a book that would have lots of pictures in it (not a children’s book tho)… and she was curious what writing, formatting or other software you used to write the book in…

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:48 AM

I hope everything went okay at the doctors Jay. Happy belated Valentines Day.🤗

February 15, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Hi. I was just reading your article/post yesterday on Florida. Ugh… when will it end! 😦

Happy Valentine’s Day! xoxo thank you.

All the test results (normal checkup stuff) come back on the weekend. Should be fine.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
        February 15, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Sadly I don’t think it’s going to end anytime soon. I hope you had some chocolate after your appointment and your second date was much more lovely.

February 15, 2018 at 9:10 AM

you are unfortunately right…

I had a cinnamon bagel with strawberry cream cheese and a huge cup of coffee since I couldn’t eat or drink all morning. Then we made Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies for dessert, it was delicious.

Are you feeling better today?

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
        February 15, 2018 at 9:14 AM

Oh that just sounds delicious. Now you’ve made me hungry.

I’m still not feeling great, but I’m hanging in there. I think not have my eyes glued to my iPad so much has helped a little. I’m missing interacting with everyone though, and feeling guilty.

February 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM

the break is necessary from time to time, maybe turn the brightness down much lower

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
        February 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM

I’ve got the blue shade turned off and the tablet set to nighttime mode so that definitely helps.

Patty said:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Listen to the doctor and make sure you get your check ups regularly. My regular check up in 2012 resulted in my doctor finding a tumor on my thyroid. I was diagnoised with Hurthle Cell Thyroid Cancer had to have surgery twice and radiation treatments. They caught it early and it was not even broken out of the capsule it was in. Thank you doctors for paying attention. Cancer free since 2013. 😉 Hope you and W had a wonderful Valentine’s Day.

February 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM

OMG, I’m so glad that happened for you (the early catch, not getting it)… xoxo Happy Valentine’s Day. 🙂

Patty said:
        February 15, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Happy Valentine’s Day to you too!! ❤ xoxo

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    February 15, 2018 at 11:50 PM

Haha tragbar truly was aweful planing my friend but I hope all went well. I hear you about skipping the doctors and I have done it myself, but at times it needs better to know. You already know. I had a colonoscopy last year. It’s nerve racking a bit, bit put self induced and in all reality it was easy and nothing. Sending much love your way.

February 16, 2018 at 12:19 AM

Thank you. I didn’t have to get one. At least not yet!!! Results this weekend for blood work. Lol

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        February 16, 2018 at 12:52 AM

Fingers crossed all is just routine. I have the same issues with the cholesterol being a little high and there is always a surprise one way or another. Lol.

February 16, 2018 at 7:34 AM

so true, as long as it’s correctable or not too harmful! 🙂

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        February 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM

I know you will be fine and sending much love and comfort your way. 😉

February 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM

Xoxo thx. Same to you.

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        February 17, 2018 at 1:56 PM

mainepaperpusher said:
    February 16, 2018 at 2:10 AM

I like the twist at the end. Arrows, indeed. I had a fantastic Valentine’s Day. We took Walter to obedience class. Nothing more romantic than that! Sending hugs!

February 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM

We had a quiet, peaceful Valentine’s Day. Ate at Red Lobster (on a coupon!)LOL

Array said:
    February 28, 2018 at 1:35 AM

You are always cooking something yummy. I need to come to NY for a week and let you cook for me 😂