365 Challenge: Day 340 – Getaway

Getaway: (a) an escape or quick departure, especially after committing a crime, or (b) a vacation [P.S. I’ve committed no crimes I’m aware of…]

getasas.jpg

In a few weeks, there are two people who will have a birthday and are planning to go away for a long weekend as a way to celebrate. The original plan was to stay at Mohonk, an upstate NY estate, but it’s too expensive for a two-night stay without a ton of things to do in the area when we wouldn’t have a car for that location. Instead, we’re currently researching a few places in New Hampshire and/or Vermont for mid-March. The plan is to fly one direction and take the train for the other direction. We’d rent a car for the weekend once we arrive in the destination. I’ve been researching a few small towns to visit, but can’t decide which might be the best for a charming bed and breakfast or hotel. The goal is to explore some lovely historic areas, mindlessly window shop, enjoy local foods, and relax. We’re not looking to ski or skate, as that’s a popular thing to do in the winter, on this trip. It’s more a getaway to see a different part of the country in an area we’ve always wanted to visit. We’ve also been watching re-runs of Newhart, which was set in that area, so perhaps that’s why!

If you’ve got any recommendations for a few towns to visit, a place to stay, or a must-do while up there (besides try some maple syrup as that will happen!)… send ’em over, please. Thanks… and feel free to share any other short getaway trips you’re taking, too.

27 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 340 – Getaway

February 20, 2018 at 7:58 AM

Sounds like fun!!

LA said:
    February 20, 2018 at 7:59 AM

Sounds lovely. When do we leave?

Rhonda said:
    February 20, 2018 at 8:35 AM

Mentioned this on FB, but in case you don’t catch it…highly recommend The WilloughVale Inn in Westmore, VT
    Might be just what you’re looking for 🙂
    Have stayed several times and have never been disappointed.

February 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM

Hi. I saw, but thanks for sending the link. I will definitely take a look today. I hadn’t heard of it before you mentioned it. Many thanks!

Rhonda said:
        February 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM

You’re very welcome 🙂

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 20, 2018 at 8:40 AM

I could use a minibreak, too! 😉😎 enjoy your planning!!

tylerus said:
    February 20, 2018 at 9:06 AM

A getaway – lucky you! 🙂 Vermont’s a lovely state (driven thru many times), but have only ever stayed in Stowe and Burlington, and found both quite quaint. Wherever you end up, have a fantastic time!

Patty said:
    February 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Have a great time on your getaway. I wish I had some suggestions for you but I have never been to those areas. Enjoy!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I have to agree with Rhonda and recommend Willoughvale. We only stayed there once, but I didn’t want to leave!☺️

February 20, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Lucky you! I have no recommendations as I have never stayed anywhere east of Nevada but I would offer a suggestion as something to do while you are there…check out Big City Hunts and see if they have a hunt in that area. When the hubs and I stayed in Reno and did one there, it was a fantastic experience and not expensive at all. I blogged about it in case you want to read more. Basically it is like a treasure hunt and you are looking for landmarks and things. We are going to Reno again for my birthday, which is also in a few weeks. Aren’t we Pisces the best! March is such a wonderful month. 🙂

February 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Pisces are the best! Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out tomorrow to see what’s available! I will check your blog, too.

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    February 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM

I visited Vermont this pasted October and it was really nice. My fiance and I stayed on the edge of Waterbury and Stowe. There is a lot of places to sightsee and shop. I hope you enjoy your getaway! 🙂

February 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I will check on those two towns. Stowe was on the list to see!

N. N. Light's Book Heaven said:
    February 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Sounds like fun. I love doing research on trips. We just got back from a long weekend. Four blissful days away at a ski resort. So much fun!

carhicks said:
    February 22, 2018 at 5:47 PM

Sounds like a great getaway time. I hope you find a good destination, then let us know where and what you did. I have never been to that area, but it is on my list for a future visit. Have fun whatever you decide.

February 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM

Thank you very much. I’ve settled on the southern part of New Hampshire. Flying into Manchester, staying in Bedford and driving around a few local towns!

carhicks said:
        February 24, 2018 at 4:17 PM

I will have to google the area and see what I think. I want to go in the fall though.