365 Challenge: Day 342 – Cholesterol

Cholesterol: a compound of the sterol type found in most body tissues. Cholesterol and its derivatives are important constituents of cell membranes and precursors of other steroid compounds, but a high proportion in the blood of low-density lipoprotein (which transports cholesterol to the tissues) is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease.

olo.jpg

In a post last week, I mentioned I was visiting the doctor for a routine physical and check-up. I received the results yesterday and wasn’t surprised at all. For the most part, all is well — only one issue to address. In my last exam about 18 months ago, they mentioned my cholesterol was approaching the higher end. I understood as I tend to eat a lot of cheese, red meat and desserts. I course-corrected the problem and was back on a good swing for a few weeks to months. Somewhere afterward, I let it all go to a certain place with a certain proverbial hand-basket! I know my family has a few issues with high-cholesterol and heart disease, so I truly have no excuse for letting this go… alas, when the doctor called this time, it was not going in the proper direction. So… as I do with all things I feel uninformed on, I will research all the good and bad foods I should be considering, make a lovely little list to begin keeping the proper foods in the apartment, and deem this a permanent change.

I think the only reason this has shown up as a problem in the last 18 months is because I am now home full-time as opposed to going to an office ten hours per day. I would not snack while at work and I’d usually eat sushi or a healthy salad for lunch. Now… I find myself eating more desserts, pre-packaged foods, cheese and such… I’ll fix it. I need to. It’s important. That’s where I throw it back to you… any advice on good websites or books (or other areas) to help me weed through the facts on what changes I need to make? I have started checking some sites, but there’s way too much detail when I’d rather get a concise list of the do’s and don’ts. I ultimately prefer to trust a few places from people I know who can share their experiences. Thanks in advance!

63 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 342 – Cholesterol

Beware Of The Reader said:
    February 22, 2018 at 6:32 AM

So you are going on a diet Jay! I can’t help with sites unfortunately as I eat healthy all the time due to a slight problem with my liver. Good luck with your diet!

February 22, 2018 at 7:16 AM

Oh be careful please. Stay healthy! I guess I need to use the d word. Oy.

February 22, 2018 at 7:01 AM

Good job, Little Bro! Now to make a happy food list!

renew or redo said:
    February 22, 2018 at 7:23 AM

I suffer from the same , to where I had tia,,, and other issues,, when you get some advice or sites I would love to read them also ,,

Mintly said:
    February 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM

It’s time to eat healthy! Haha! Good luck, Jay!

Joan E Wilder said:
    February 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM

Hi James ! I am sorry to hear about your cholesterol- my husband has that too – knowing is half the battle as you said, now you need to learn what to do. Exercise is key. You should have a Fitbit or something to alert you to get up and move around each hour and about 30 minutes a day for active exercise – even 10 minute increments will do! And before you know it your numbers will go down ! I know that writing requires lots of desk work too – have you tried a standing desk? If not, give it a try – but make sure it’s easily adjustable both up and down as standing all day can get tiring! And good luck – let us know how you are doing ok?
    Hugs

February 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Thank you, Joan. I appreciate it. I sit at the dining room table to write, but I do get up every hour or so. I am usually in the gym 5 days per week, but I could be a bit more active during the day. I appreciate the reminder. 🙂 I hope your husband is doing well with it. I will keep you posted… I think I need to focus on my diet next week!

watchingthedaisies said:
    February 22, 2018 at 9:36 AM

I hope you manage to get back on track Jay. Forewarned is forearmed.

LA said:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Next time we’ll go out for crudités…..

Judy said:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:24 AM

You know what to do. You’ve posted it here: Eat fewer snacks and less cheese. Are you going to do it? Don’t worry; I have this exact same problem, i.e., I know what to do but will I do it? No magic pills. No easy button. I need to cut calories. That’s it. I know it works. Then I do a bit of stress eating, and up goes the calories. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do what I know I need to do. 🙂

February 22, 2018 at 4:31 PM

I’m glad I helped with the reminder. I love your feedback/comment. 🙂 We will do it. We have to, right? I had no cheese yesterday. 1 day down… 5 billion to go!

Mary Deal said:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Hi James. I am sorry to hear about anyone suffering cholesterol problems. I have my own and I have solved my problem. When the problem was found it was about 144 if I remember correctly, but not sure, could have been higher. It was high enough the doctor told me to do something and do it now if I didn’t want to have a heart attack or stroke. I had been a near-vegetarian but previously gone off my good eating habits for a couple of years. So I went back to cooking stir fry, in many many variations. I still add a little white meat chicken now and again. In going back to stir-fry, I was adding a lot of garlic. For my next doctor visit, my cholesterol was down to 84. Since I had eaten vegetables all my life, mostly raw or near raw, it had to be the garlic. I doubled-up on adding garlic, but found I would smell like a garlic farm. When I eased up on the garlic, my cholesterol went up. Then I decided to try Garlique – the product they claim has the same natural effect of garlic, but without the residual body odor. After 6 months on Garlique, my cholesterol came down to 75. That was about 3 years ago. My cholesterol rating from my doctor visit just a week ago put my cholesterol count at 72. Yay me! Now you try it. Don’t go back to eating junk food, even though Garlique may work. You still need to allow your body time to melt away a lot of that cholesterol in your system.

February 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM

I will definitely look into that. My mom is very aware of this types of things. We talked yesterday, but just about the foods to avoid. I’m glad it’s working for you — thanks for all the advice. I would be worried about smelling like garlic, too… but maybe there’s a balance in there. 🙂

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Ugh. Why do the good things to eat cost us?!
    Best wishes for getting started and maintaining a regime to lower your numbers!

February 22, 2018 at 4:34 PM

I will make it happen. 🙂 I just need to learn the do and don’t rules, then I’m good! It’s unfair tho… I really like cheese, desserts and red meat.

The Cozy Pages said:
        February 22, 2018 at 8:28 PM

Me too 😄
        My mom reduced her red meat and increased her exercise and that did the trick for her to get hers down. She’s now very attentive to not having too much red meat in her diet.

February 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Don’t say diet. It puts the wrong message in your head. Say healthy eating lifestyle. I’ve been fortunate that even though I am overweight, my cholesterol has always been good. You can do it!

February 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM

I like the way you have turned it around. 1 1/2 days and I’ve been in that healthy lifestyle. I’m glad you don’t have to deal with the cholesterol issue, that’s great!

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM

It sounds like you’re pretty prepared for this Jay. I battle with cholesterol too and there one book that’s become a handy part of arsenal. It’s The American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook. I know you love to cook and this has some delicious recipes.☺️

dtills said:
    February 22, 2018 at 12:51 PM

It sounds like you already know what not to eat-the animal sources, desserts and prepackaged stuff. Do you like oatmeal? Not the “just add water” packets, but good old fashioned oats? I have a bowl of oatmeal, for lunch each day. I know that sounds weird but I prefer egg whites for breakfast (I need the protein). I put half a cup of old fashioned oats and add 1 cup cashew milk and microwave for 1 minute 50 seconds. This gives me firm oats, which I like. Then I add vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and chia seeds. After that it is any fresh fruit on hand and 10 grams of pecans, 15 grams total of dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. I don’t need any added sugar, and I am full until dinner. The oats should help remove the soluble cholesterol and you might be too full to be tempted to snack. Combined with your work outs, and you should get results!

February 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM

I do like oatmeal and I keep it in the house, just haven’t been eating it… thanks for the reminder. And the spices all sound good. I have to try that… I forget to do that. 🙂

February 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM

I forgot celery juice! Plus exercise and de-stressing. Try Lavender essential oil in a diffuser and green juice daily. It works–promise! ❤ Take care!

February 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM

xoxo, thank you. I will look for celery juice, never heard of it before. If not at the grocery store, I’ll get it online. Thanks.

February 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM

I don’t think you can buy it, but I could be wrong. Investing in a juicer is a great idea though. Worth every penny! Hope this helps. 💖

February 22, 2018 at 6:05 PM

oh, right! Duh… I can figure that out…. 🙂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 22, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Good luck!

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    February 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM

It would definitely be tough to be at home with accessible food of any type you crave at your fingertips! (I say on my day off, at the computer with a margarita and a bag of chips!) Lol! It’s just too easy!!

fitnessgrad said:
    February 22, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Very insightful James. I love some good sushi, but haven’t had it in a while >.< but when I am at home, I tend to snack more as well, which I am trying to work on day by day, but it is a very hard habit to break .. WELL .. the fact I am not eating the MOST healthiest of choices. LOL. but I mean, who doesn't enjoy some peanut butter! hahaha

Shay-lon

Hope all stays well with you.

February 22, 2018 at 5:47 PM

finding the right balance is hard, but it’s also the solution. Some day, right?

fitnessgrad said:
        February 26, 2018 at 9:43 PM

No never, lol jk 🙂 yes, I hope with continued trial and error we can find a happy medium

DaisyGal @ DG Book Blog said:
    February 23, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Man, why does everyone insist on taking away the cheese??? It’s the perfect snack! I hope you get everything sorted out soon! 😃

Cozynookbks said:
    February 23, 2018 at 7:00 PM

I am hardly one to ask about getting healthy food advice since I’ve been doing horribly with my diet and have gained a decent amount of weight over the past year. I really have to get on track myself. Seems the older I get the more junk I want. It’s really hard. But I can tell you that a few years ago when I cut carbs and sugar significantly I lost copious amounts of weight very quickly. I kept it off for a few years, but it all went downhill in 2017 when I picked up eating carbs and sugar. Now if I can just go back to that way of eating I’ll lose the weight. It’s tough though because I love sweets, and bread, and rice…..SMH.

I wish you all the best with your goals Jay.

February 24, 2018 at 7:15 AM

Thank you. You know how to fix it. So I think you will find the way back. I know how hard it is to avoid the foods you love. I wish you luck and success. 🙂

February 24, 2018 at 11:46 AM

I went to the dr a couple years back and they told me I had high cholesterol but he said since I was so young he didn’t want to put me on medicine so he wanted me to work on it. Unfortunately I suck and haven’t done anything to change it. I’m sure if I was to go back to the dr they would tell me I still have high cholesterol.

February 25, 2018 at 9:35 AM

Be careful – don’t let it get worse!

February 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM

Yeah I know I need to get it under control but if I try to research it there’s just so much information and I’m like you and just want to find a list of the do’s and donts basically.

February 25, 2018 at 10:16 AM

I will share once I have mine together. Less cheese. Less red meat. Less butter. Those are biggies!

February 25, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Oh gosh all things I love lol. Especially cheese.

February 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM

I know. Painful.

February 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Have you tried red yeast rice supplements for cholesterol ? It didn’t work enough for me (and I have to take meds) but you are YOUNG! Is cheese all that bad? I don’t think I COULD give up cheese!

February 27, 2018 at 5:23 PM

It comes down to moderation. I can’t eat cheese every single day, as well as red meat 5 times per week along with eggs and mucho desserts. So if I cut out a bunch, then I will be okay. I’ve never heard of that supplement. I will look it up, thanks! Sorry you have to take meds to keep it under control. 😦

February 28, 2018 at 8:56 PM

At my age, you have to take meds, period. LOL

Kristin said:
    February 28, 2018 at 1:40 AM

I, my husband and family follow Trim Healthy Mama (dont let the name scare you…we all utilize the plan!)

His cholesterol is great. I lost 45 lbs. He lost 25. We have maintained it for over a year. My fibro pain is better than it was. My joint pain is still awful but at least my clothes don’t hurt my skin so much.

And the best thing is that THM doesn’t feel like dieting. Because it really isn’t. It is just learning to eat a healthier way 🙂

February 28, 2018 at 7:54 AM

I’ll look this one up, thanks. I’m glad it worked for you. The name doesn’t scare me either 😛